PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dragon Quest (Main Series)

Flying Mullet
08-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Simple enough question. And since there are so many spin-offs in the Dragon Quest universe I didn't include them.

46212 I - IX: Which is thy favorite quest for dragons?

KentaRawr!
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Either 3 or 9, but admittedly, those are the only ones I've played besides 1. :greenie:

Motdrafin
08-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh my! I love Dragon Quest!!! Even more than Final Fantasy! Well, my favorite is definitely Dragon Quest V, as it has the best music hands down, best story, best characters, awesome monster catching gameplay, replayability (you can choose your own brides), and party chat! EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY IT!!!!!111!!!!

Del Murder
08-15-2013, 02:30 PM
It's VIII due to the beautiful visuals and amusing characters, but I'm playing VI right now and it's making a strong case. I just love job class systems.

Motdrafin
08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
^ If you like VI because of the class system, you should try VII. It's the same one, except way more jobs (and monster jobs). The game also has tons of depth and a better story than VI.

Flying Mullet
08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
^ If you like VI because of the class system, you should try VII. It's the same one, except way more jobs (and monster jobs). The game also has tons of depth and a better story than VI.
My only complaint is that it takes a couple hours to really get the gameplay started and about ten hours to get the job system started.

Del Murder
08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
My only complaint is that it takes a couple hours to really get the gameplay started and about ten hours to get the job system started.
Yes, I played it once and could not get into it because it dragged on and I barely reached the class system when I gave up (plus my favorite character left the party :(). I also don't really like the 'go to this town, solve their specific problem, go to the next town, solve their specific (and completely unrelated) problem, etc.' approach. I know that is standard for DQ games but usually there is a little bit more of an overarching storyline that connects the dots and I did not get that from VII (that's my complaint with IX as well), where the towns were literally isolated from one another. VI and VIII does a much better job of tying things together.

I'll play VII if the remastered version gets a US release, though.

Spuuky
08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
As a Dragon Quest Fanatic, I can see a reasonable case being made for these games:

3, 4, 5, maaaaaaybe 6, 8

It just depends on what you're looking for. And, to some extent, which version of the game you've played. I don't really think any other answer is reasonable. In my opinion, the "Best" game of that group is the fifth one. However, my actual favorite one is Dragon Quest 4.

NeoCracker
08-15-2013, 11:14 PM
I've played IV, V, VI, VIII, IX, and Jokers. Out of all of them V is easily the best, though it did have a dissapointingly easy final boss. Mind you, I played both the SNES version (With a fan translation of course) as well as the DS version, and the DS is clearly the superior if only because of Deborah. :love:

Really though I enjoyed all of them in some fashion or another, though IX was bogged down by being so god damn easy.

Spooniest
08-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Played 1-6, never finished 7, and helped my then-wife play through 8.

8 gets my vote, even if it does remind me of my ex.

Nothing beats a live symphony orchestra.

Bolivar
08-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Right now I give it to V for the amazing story and great DQ gameplay. It might go to VIII if I replay it, but it's been many years since I beat it so I can't really remember too much.

Vincent, Thunder God
08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Well I've only ever played the first really, and I find it strangely addictive, kind of like FF 1 as there's no story so you're just focusing on random battles pretty much. With the English translation they go all Shakespearean on you, and the play-by-play during the battles is kind of neat.

Would anyone have any recommendations based on the rest of the series? I have 8 for ps2 but haven't really touched it.

Spuuky
08-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Would anyone have any recommendations based on the rest of the series? I have 8 for ps2 but haven't really touched it.What kind of recommendations? If you love the first one, you'll love basically all of them. I'd either plan on playing the whole series and move onto DQ2 (probably the worst game, but still good), or skip to DQ3 next.

Vincent, Thunder God
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Would anyone have any recommendations based on the rest of the series? I have 8 for ps2 but haven't really touched it.What kind of recommendations? If you love the first one, you'll love basically all of them. I'd either plan on playing the whole series and move onto DQ2 (probably the worst game, but still good), or skip to DQ3 next.

Cool.

The first one had a kind of bare-bones feel to it whereas FF 1 was kind of trying to incorporate a limited story to it. I liked how you kind of hare off on your own, and the weapons are ridiculously expensive (at least with the NES version) plus it was my first exposure to a NES RPG so it wins there. Only one party member though! :D Basically a pure level grind. And first person battles!

Jiro
08-18-2013, 04:17 PM
I voted VIII because it gripped me the most but IX is pretty fucking good too.

I have played none of the others.