PDA

View Full Version : Crusaders

Jiro
08-16-2013, 04:01 AM
These guys are really interesting. As far as I can tell, they're outcasts from Yevon. Mushroom Rock Road was obviously a big of a black mark on their record thanks to working closely with Al Bhed, but Wakka talks about how Chappu took a machina weapon as opposed to Brotherhood, so there's a history of them "betraying Yevon."

So why are the numbers so populous?

I get the "defending your families" thing, but when it seems like more people are casting Yevon aside to protect their Yevon-following families, you'd think the institution would crumble. But, because summoners are the only way to truly defeat Sin, that makes Yevon strong, strong enough, surely, to make the Crusaders unnecessary or discouraged or something.

It seems to be a weird status quo.

qwertysaur
08-16-2013, 04:04 AM
They are also the ones who normally kill any sinspawn that Sin leaves behind.

Jiro
08-16-2013, 05:10 AM
That's pretty useful. I can see why Yevon would tolerate their existence for that. Could Yevon's support of Mushroom Rock Road be just a front then? I mean, obviously they're against the Crusaders in one sense, but by being there and supporting them they a) look good and b) encourage the Crusaders to fail, eliminating a large portion of their members and some Al Bhed to boot.

Gosh, they really are dicks. :|

qwertysaur
08-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Don't forget that after operation Mihen failed Yevon pulled their support out and excommunicated all the crusaders.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-16-2013, 05:36 AM
Crews of What?

qwertysaur
08-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Crews of What?
People who want to stab things related to Sin

Jiro
08-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Don't forget that after operation Mihen failed Yevon pulled their support out and excommunicated all the crusaders.

It surprises me that Yevon sees a difference between Mi'ihen and what the Crusaders usually get up to. They don't seem very understanding. Although, it's all one big hypocrisy anyway, so who really knows.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-16-2013, 07:23 AM
I'd say the numbers are so populous just because they are actively doing stuff to try to ward of Sin and protect the citizens of Spira. Perhaps a part of those people think during the multitude of years that Sin is attacking that maybe there is a better way to stop Sin, or maybe they are just doing their own thing to not only bring protection to the citizens, but also allow for more safe passage for the Summoners so that the Calm may be able to come about quicker. The summoners (and thus Yevon) have a lot of power just because the only way the Calm can come about is through the Final Aeon; however, as has been mentioned in another thread, staggeringly few Summoners have ever been successful in this quest. Because of that success, people must give support to Yevon, but I'm sure they want to be doing something as well to find another way to defeat Sin. If Summoners would become obsolete in fending off Sin, I'm sure Yevon would have lost a lot of support.

I really need to play X and examine the Crusaders more closely once the HD collection comes out. I've always been pretty interested in how they fit into the world of Spira.

Jiro
08-16-2013, 08:00 AM
It's just crazy how they are such an integral part of the world and yet their existence is kind of a rejection of the world they support. If that makes sense. They're martyrs one way or another, and that's really powerful and yet so fucking understated.

Skyblade
08-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Nobody ever pays attention to what people actually say in these games, do they?

The Crusaders were once considered outsiders (or, more accurately, a threat to the Maester's power) back when they were the militia group the Crimson Blades. The Maesters eventually began to accuse the Crimson Blades of treason. Their founder, Lord Mi'hen, travelled to Bevelle (along the road that would later be named for his journey), and fought the charges. When he convinced the Maesters of the purpose and loyalty of the Crimson Blades, they were renamed The Crusaders and became an official part of the Yevon clergy.

In FFX, Maester Kinoc is the current head of the Crusaders. Yevon only excommunicated those Crusaders who took part in the operation, and only before the operation took place, more as a threat and attempted deterrent than anything else. Despite having been officially excommunicated, the Crusaders taking part in Operation Mi'hen were heartened by the presence of the Maesters, realizing that the people of Yevon didn't abandon them, even if the organization itself did.

Further, after the failure of the Operation, the excommunications were cancelled, and the survivors were accepted back.

Jiro
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
It's been years since I played the game :monster: Glad to see they got allowed back into that broken religion though. Just kind of reinforces the hypocrisy.