PDA

View Full Version : FF X|X-2 HD English Drama Scene Settles Pronunciation Debate

Freya
08-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Square Enix released a video of Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remasters new Audio drama in english this time! With Tidus's voice actor. As we mentioned before (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2736-first-listen-ffx-x-2s-new-drama-scene.html), this new drama will come at the end of FFX and FFX-2 in the new HD remaster. Written by Kazushige Nojima, this new 30 min drama will be entirely new to the series. Take a listen!

j4mprxW7Apg

We heard his name pronounced as Teedus before in Kingdom Hearts but now from this official audio drama we have it confirmed. Sorry Tydus fans, it's Teedus. (I'm a tydus girl myself).

There were also some screenshots released along with the video. It seems that the battle menu has been overhauled. It looks all new and shiny.

More screenshots can be found at the Final Fantasy X (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/games/final-fantasy-x-hd-remaster) and Final Fantasy X-2 (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/games/final-fantasy-x-2-hd-remaster) Square Enix pages.

The soundtrack has also been mostly reworked. Over 60 songs on Final Fantasy X have been rearranged and optimized for High Definition audio. Which is 2/3 of the soundtrack. That's a lot of remastering.

And don't forget that in Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD remaster there will be trophies you can win. Such as switching to a dresssphere in the middle of battle or even getting a weapon damage hit of 99,999 among many others.

So what do you think of the official pronunciation of Teedus? What do you think of the remastered images? Are you excited for the new Audio drama?

TEEDUS!

Mirage
08-17-2013, 07:46 PM
dat belly

Formalhaut
08-17-2013, 08:16 PM
^__^

Someone's been working on their belly in the gym.

Hambone
08-18-2013, 12:40 AM
I grew up saying "Tydus" myself, but calling him "Teedus" isn't going to be hard for me. Know why? Because this debate is smurfING. STUPID. After doing some poking around and lurking on other FF-related message boards for the past few months, hoping to find some news regarding the HD remasters, the name debate continues to be one of the most discussed things among FFX fans, and I don't get why people have such passionate opinions on such a trivial topic, especially when it comes to a character that everyone is so vocal about hating.

The debates usually go something like this:

1: It's Teedus! 'Cuz they said so on Kingdom Hearts, and Tidus is the romanized version of the Okinawan word, "Tida" which means sun and "Yuna" means moon, which reflects their respective sigils!

2: Nuh-uh, cause I grew up saying Tydus and plus in KH2 they said "Tydus" so I can call him whatever I want, even if the new voice drama says "Teedus!" That just sounds dumb.

1: Then you're a moron!

2: No you!

God, I wish Square had just never given us the option to name him; that way, people would've pronounced his name correctly and this debate wouldn't have emerged. Plus, the game's constant references to Tidus as "hey you!", "the new guy," etc. are doubly annoying.

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Titus Andronicus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_andronicus)

Is what I think of when I hear "Titus."

I think a lot of people think of the tides, like water, when they pronounce it "TIE-duss."

warrior of darkness
08-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Did the remastered version change Tidus' laugh?

gamewizzard16
08-18-2013, 07:04 AM
i hope so there only 1 thing missing Arelese date

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 11:51 AM
It could certainly stand to be redubbed. I hope they do, I might give this a shot if the dub is any good this time.

Jinx
08-18-2013, 01:45 PM
God, I wish Square had just never given us the option to name him; that way, people would've pronounced his name correctly and this debate wouldn't have emerged. Plus, the game's constant references to Tidus as "hey you!", "the new guy," etc. are doubly annoying.

THIS. And then in FFX-2 where Yuna just keeps referring to Tidus as "him."

Jiro
08-18-2013, 02:03 PM
hnnnnngh hi def Rikku

Mirage
08-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Changing that would mean it's no longer possible to give him a custom name, though.

Jinx
08-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Changing that would mean it's no longer possible to give him a custom name, though.

That's fine by me. I hated that you could only change his name.

FifthDream
08-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Actually the correct pronunciation is "Tee-doos".

/settled

/hides XD

comma
08-18-2013, 07:42 PM
It could certainly stand to be redubbed. I hope they do, I might give this a shot if the dub is any good this time.It's not exactly dubbing if they're just replacing audio files. It's called voice acting. And there's no way they're going to redo the voice acting. It's incredibly expensive and time consuming.

Old Manus
08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
We heard his name pronounced as Teedus before in Kingdom Hearts but now from this official audio drama we have it confirmed.Pretty sure it was confirmed in the ~*~SPECIAL BONUS DVD~*~ that came with the original game, though this might have been a PAL only thing.

Spooniest
08-20-2013, 04:05 PM
It's not exactly dubbing if they're just replacing audio files. It's called voice acting.

So?

And there's no way they're going to redo the voice acting. It's incredibly expensive and time consuming.

...Well, they just lost my money, then. If they aren't going to provide a quality product, why should I buy it?

Freya
08-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Cause FFX is amazing? :D

Jinx
08-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Cause FFX is amazing? :D

Karifean
08-20-2013, 10:32 PM
...Well, they just lost my money, then. If they aren't going to provide a quality product, why should I buy it?

You lost me at not a quality product.

comma
08-21-2013, 01:08 AM
They're updating two PS2 games to HD graphics in one of the most extensive updates I've ever seen, for the cost of less than one game. They're releasing the international versions with content never before seen in NA. And they're including a new half-hour audio drama. This is a quality product. Stop whining about your unrealistic wish not being granted.

Jiro
08-21-2013, 01:41 AM
I don't even have an issue with the voice acting esp. considering it was the first FF game with it in there.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
In the second image, it looks like Yuna has plaited her pubes.

Cloudane
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Ooh, HD flesh.

"Teedus" is certainly better than "him" and "you know who"

We all hope to god this drama thing doesn't suck.

Red Mage Coffman
08-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm just thankful his name isn't spelt or pronounced as Titus. We wouldn't want that, now would we..?

Nebulance
08-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I grew up saying "Tydus" myself, but calling him "Teedus" isn't going to be hard for me. Know why? Because this debate is smurfING. STUPID.

I think the reason why people get up in arms about it is because those of us that pronounced it 'Tydus' (me included) are a bit shocked and in disbelief when we find out we have been pronouncing it wrong for over ten years. But, if they just used his name from the beginning in the game, it wouldn't be an issue: we would have thought "oh ok, it's pronounced 'Tee-dus.' Anyway, moving on...." I'd say it's more startling than anything else.

That said, I do like the reasoning of 'person #1' in your post.

comma
08-26-2013, 02:42 PM
I always assumed it was "ee" simply because that's how one pronounces "i" in Japan.

TidusReborn
10-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Are you fucking kidding me? Tee-doos? That's fucking stupid. It's Tidus, TYDUS, not tee-doos. That doesn't even make sense.

You don't pronounce Tiny as Tee-ny. Or Tide as te-ed. Or Tiger as Te-ger.

Fucking Squenix :mad2:

Skyblade
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I grew up saying "Tydus" myself, but calling him "Teedus" isn't going to be hard for me. Know why? Because this debate is smurfING. STUPID.

I think the reason why people get up in arms about it is because those of us that pronounced it 'Tydus' (me included) are a bit shocked and in disbelief when we find out we have been pronouncing it wrong for over ten years. But, if they just used his name from the beginning in the game, it wouldn't be an issue: we would have thought "oh ok, it's pronounced 'Tee-dus.' Anyway, moving on...." I'd say it's more startling than anything else.

Actually, had they pronounced it from the start, it would have upset me far more than the current pronunciation debate.

His name isn't "Tidus", it's whatever the heck I make it. What should I care how the default name is pronounced when I never leave names default?

As for Tidus, most people simply pronounced it in the way that is correct, phonetically, for the spelling in their region. And, for a lot of people, that isn't Tee-dus. If the designers want things pronounced a certain way, they either need a pronunciation guide somewhere (in the instruction manual, maybe), or they need to spell things the way they sound.

Nebulance
10-11-2013, 05:39 PM

Actually, had they pronounced it from the start, it would have upset me far more than the current pronunciation debate.

His name isn't "Tidus", it's whatever the heck I make it. What should I care how the default name is pronounced when I never leave names default?

As for Tidus, most people simply pronounced it in the way that is correct, phonetically, for the spelling in their region. And, for a lot of people, that isn't Tee-dus. If the designers want things pronounced a certain way, they either need a pronunciation guide somewhere (in the instruction manual, maybe), or they need to spell things the way they sound.

well, not everyone changes the name -- I didn't. I think on one playthrough I did. I think it's a perfectly valid question for people to have, concerning the proper (or I guess, preferred) pronunciation of one of the main characters names.

Skyblade
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM

well, not everyone changes the name -- I didn't. I think on one playthrough I did. I think it's a perfectly valid question for people to have, concerning the proper (or I guess, preferred) pronunciation of one of the main characters names.

He is what you name him.

Whether you leave it default or not, you named him. So your pronunciation is correct. Did you name him "Tidus" (pronounced Tie-Dus) or "Tidus" (pronounced Tee-Dis)? Or some other pronunciation? It's your name, pronounce it how you like.

Jinx
10-12-2013, 01:08 AM
omg if only fanboys would accept that sort of answer for the goddamn aeris aerith debate

DMKA
10-12-2013, 04:37 AM
Selphie calls him "Tie-dus" in Kingdom Hearts 2, so this settles nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Pike
10-13-2013, 10:56 AM
So what do you think of the official pronunciation of Teedus?

This is as bad as when the guy who invented GIFs said it's pronounced "jiff". :colbert: :doublecolbert: And Michael Kirkbride's boh-mer, doon-mare and so forth in TES. :zombert:

TidusReborn
10-20-2013, 07:59 AM
So what do you think of the official pronunciation of Teedus?

This is as bad as when the guy who invented GIFs said it's pronounced "jiff". :colbert: :doublecolbert: And Michael Kirkbride's boh-mer, doon-mare and so forth in TES. :zombert:

Omg, You're right. I've been pronouncing GIFs wrong for years!!!!!!!!! "Mind Blown" :eek: