PDA

View Full Version : People's appaling lack of manners

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
:ffviscorn:

Now, listen to me! You can't just go around pushing people's buttons, it's not polite, and who in the name of Heaven and Earth are you to go around like a drunken sailor just beating your ham fists into things and random passer-by?

People these days just have no manners! Discuss.

Jinx
08-18-2013, 01:39 PM
You know what shows that people have no manners?

Randomly sending them messages attacking them about how awful of a human being they are when you know nothing about them. People like that are the worst.

Denmark
08-18-2013, 01:51 PM
people I run into are generally pretty well-mannered. maybe you're just hanging around the wrong type of people.

Unbreakable Will
08-18-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm with Jinx on this one. :p

Jiro
08-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Could you imagine if your hands were actually ham? I mean, jesus.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs847.snc4/71155_291982603474_7146441_n.jpg

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 03:05 PM
:roll2 Fine way for you all to treat someone who knows where all the bodies are buried...

Tasura
08-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Could you imagine if your hands were actually ham? I mean, jesus.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs847.snc4/71155_291982603474_7146441_n.jpg

Yea. I'd totally end up eating them.

noxious.sunshine
08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Lol yep. Def with Sam and Will.

Calliope
08-18-2013, 06:55 PM
I know plenty of well-mannered, polite people, in both my online and offline circles. Of course, people have differing ideas of what is polite or acceptable behaviour, so I can see how you might think that people "just have no manners". As others have alluded to in this thread, you have demonstrated that you are still grappling with basic online etiquette yourself - I hope that the indignation you may have experienced (which led you to make this thread) allows you to exercise good manners in the future.

It can be difficult to navigate what one thinks is a reasonable standard of behaviour (Expectations? Reality!), which I think mostly stems from a lack of restraint, communication, or expecting someone to be a mind-reader. However, some things just bug the shit out of me, like trying to hang out with someone who is engaging with their phone instead of being present; or simply not saying thank you when it is deserved. Small things can carry a lot of weight.

One way in which I am working on becoming more polite is to try to accept praise or compliments, instead of simply deflecting them. It is polite to me to be humble, but over the years I've taken it so far that I basically end up invalidating anyone who tries to say something nice about me.

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
As others have alluded to in this thread, you have demonstrated that you are still grappling with basic online etiquette yourself - I hope that the indignation you may have experienced (which led you to make this thread) allows you to exercise good manners in the future.

I'm afraid it might be too late for me, but I can at least channel my crazy into making music.

Calliope
08-18-2013, 07:53 PM
You can be creative without being an asshole, and it is never too late to reflect on your intentions as you interact with others. It is not easy to be a human being, but everyone can do better than to say "it's too late for me".

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I appreciate your concern.

This thread was intended to be more tongue-in-cheek than any of you are treating it...this isn't EoEO... :roll2

Calliope
08-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Oh, it's not? Whoops, my bad! I'm sorry I tried to actually post about the topic, bro. This isn't Wonder Square, either.

lulz hey everyone spooniest has the nerve to be talking about manners, what a dick!

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Laughs are to be had at all times

Shorty
08-18-2013, 09:09 PM
You know what shows that people have no manners? Being unnecessarily petty. Let's resume discussion about manners; this thread has taken quite the turn.

It bothers me when people don't hold the door open and you're two steps behind them.

Calliope
08-18-2013, 09:51 PM
If you can't post something nice, don't post anything at all, I suppose. I would be interested in studying a one-week eoff ban on all sarcasm, sniping, complaining about others or any arguments that contain personal insults toward one's opponent.

It can be amusing yet bothersome when groups of people are polite to the point of dysfunction: This happens sometimes when I'm walking somewhere and encounter either a passer-by or a car at an intersection and we become trapped for hours in a desperate battle of wanting to let the other person go before us, sometimes if we are lucky one of us will have a box of crackers or some dried fruit on hand - we are always very careful to share and mind our p's and q's ^_^

fire_of_avalon
08-19-2013, 01:44 AM
Sometimes when that happens, someone waves me on but I wave them on and we get caught in a dance of who goes first, I will glare at them. This typically gets them moving.

I don't know if that invalidates my initial expression of good manners by pausing to let them go first, but I kind of feel like it makes me the winner of the impromptu manners-off and that feels good.

On the other hand, I also expect people to speak up. One thing that drives me nuts is when I'm looking at something in a store and another shopper happens by and stands practically on top of me to look at the same thing, but doesn't say excuse me. I take a lot of time when I'm trying to make up my mind sometimes, and it really would be better if the person just excused themselves, I would let them step in, they could get their item and I could resume worrying over what to select. But no, they'd rather just stand there and breathe on me and sigh in exasperation. That's also bad manners.

Quindiana Jones
08-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Spitting, shitting and pissing in the street.

Unbreakable Will
08-19-2013, 06:27 AM
I thought that WAS English manners Arthur.
:gator:

Spooniest
08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
People usually learn manners through some sort of positive punishment, i.e., some condition that is placed on them that is undesirable.

In the past, this condition was corporal punishment, but it has slackened to verbal and isolationary punishment in recent centuries.

When we remove the possibility of administering that discipline, it becomes harder to understand. No tone of voice, no possibility of being physically hurt. Tone of voice can cause a person pain as easily as a physical attack, if the person has the right kind of relationship with the speaker.

I think that manners are very important, and I've been taught this from a very early age.

Therapy is hell.

Quindiana Jones
08-19-2013, 01:22 PM
A monkey tore a little boys cock off here, and the people still piss in the street. :(

Need more monkeys.

Unbreakable Will
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Why can't I rep from my phone? I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a post and I want to rep it.
:colbert:

noxious.sunshine
08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
You're probably on the mobile version of the site.
Switch it out.

ZonkoTony
08-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, thanks, Obama.

fire_of_avalon
08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Jesus.

noxious.sunshine
08-19-2013, 07:38 PM
That is my baby's father.

Shorty
08-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Let's get back on track. I don't want to have to regulate this thread again.

Old Manus
08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Let's get back on track. I don't want to have to regulate this thread again.http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/11821191/Warren+G+WARRENG2.jpg

noxious.sunshine
08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Manners, people.

Get some.

I know it's difficult for some, but if I can do it, you can do it. It's all about willpower.

People in Clarksville have none manners. NONE. I go to Walmart and these asses are just standing there with their 85 kids blocking the entire chicken section for like 10 minutes. Ugh. HOW. rude. Oh wait. The Walmart I go to is across the state line in KY.

Whatevs. It's all Clarksville to me.

REGULAAATTTOOORRRRSSSSS! Mount up. (sorry)

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Request for "BANNED" to be changed temporarily to "REGULATED".

Shiny
08-20-2013, 04:09 AM
People who cut in line. This Australian tourist bitch cut me because I took too long (a few seconds) to go up to the cash register. I just let her go because unlike her I am patient and can wait for one person to go in front of me.

Sephex
08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
I really wish people would stop merging onto the expressway at 40mph or below. It's very dangerous and frankly rude. If you are afraid of driving on the expressway, just take the longer route and leave the faster driving to those of us who understand how the system works.

Spooniest
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I really wish people would stop merging onto the expressway at 40mph or below. It's very dangerous and frankly rude. If you are afraid of driving on the expressway, just take the longer route and leave the faster driving to those of us who understand how the system works.

I think you might be committing (no offense intended) the fundamental attribution error.

You're automatically attributing someone's actions to their personality, rather than considering their circumstances. That's not saying that their actions might not be a result of their personality (being afraid to drive on the expressway), but the likelihood of it being entirely due to personality is actually not quite so high. It's more likely that it's a combination of aspects of their personality and the circumstances they are faced with.

Basically, they might be driving at 40mph because they have no power steering, or maybe aren't sure where they're going. But the point is, you don't have any evidence of what other drivers are thinking, and you don't have any knowledge of their circumstances, so you're making the mistake of blaming their mistake on them, personally.

Otherwise known as the fundamental attribution error.

By the way, I don't really think people have bad manners...I was playing Cyan Garamonde... :(

Sephex
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
No, I'm pretty sure they are merging slowly because they're booger heads that can't stop farting because they think that makes the car get better mileage.

Also, I understand that not every person who does that is afraid of driving. I don't literally think every driver that merges slowly is afraid of the expressway. The "body language" of such an action makes it seem that way, hence my mini rant.

Spooniest
08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Also, I understand that not every person who does that is afraid of driving.

I didn't say that you didn't; I only said you might not.

I don't literally think every driver that merges slowly is afraid of the expressway. The "body language" of such an action makes it seem that way, hence my mini rant.

...Eh...calling it "body language" is a bit of a stretch to me...there's almost no communication possible on the expressway. There's just no time. Blinkers, brake lights, horns and high-beams are all we got.

But maybe I better make it more clear that I don't mean to put you personally on the spot. It's just an interesting aspect of people's psychology that your post reminded me of.

Sephex
08-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Also, I understand that not every person who does that is afraid of driving.

I didn't say that you didn't; I only said you might not.

I don't literally think every driver that merges slowly is afraid of the expressway. The "body language" of such an action makes it seem that way, hence my mini rant.

...Eh...calling it "body language" is a bit of a stretch to me...there's almost no communication possible on the expressway. There's just no time. Blinkers, brake lights, horns and high-beams are all we got.

But maybe I better make it more clear that I don't mean to put you personally on the spot. It's just an interesting aspect of people's psychology that your post reminded me of.

It's all good, I guess I wanted to make clear that my post wasn't meant to be taken as me being bitter, just annoyed at peoples lack of safety when merging into an area with high speeds.

But I do have to say I believe in the "body language" of a car. I can totally tell that someone is nervous when merging when I see their brake lights go on and off every couple of moments when they aren't even close to the end of the ramp! There are other things that give me a pretty good indication of what a driver might be thinking, but I am at work, and I don't want to derail the thread any further!

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2013, 02:11 PM
An experienced driver can easily tell what the drivers around him are planning to do based on the "body language" they display, so yeah. "Car language" is an observable thing, and merging into a high speed lane at a low speed is really, obscenely fucking dangerous.

Jiro
08-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Trying to merge onto the motorway at well below the speed limit is fucking dangerous. To be fair though, what is just as dangerous and possibly even ruder is not moving over (if possible) so they can merge. I've had this problem a fair bit lately where people will just adjust their speed so they block me from being able to merge. There is a fucking difference between a merging lane and a straight up "give way" you ass hats.

Also Shiny I am sorry you met a rude Australian. Rude Australians are like some of the worst people man, depending on the severity they can be fucking nazi level pricks.

Spooniest
08-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I agree that merging onto the freeway too slowly is a bad move, but remember, people:

Driving is extremely dangerous.

You can't hate the frightened for not being as brave as you are.

Freya
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Dude.

You know whats rude, telling people what you think is wrong with them. I know more about my health than you, stop telling me how you think i should treat my health. All the doctor visits I personally have been to have myself more well versed in it than some random person who hears me cough. No I dont care if you read blah does blah.

Invading my personal issues with your opinion on however i am is rude and none of your business! People, ugh. so nosey.

Jinx
08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Dude.

You know whats rude, telling people what you think is wrong with them. I know more about my health than you, stop telling me how you think i should treat my health. All the doctor visits I personally have been to have myself more well versed in it than some random person who hears me cough. No I dont care if you read blah does blah.

Invading my personal issues with your opinion on however i am is rude and none of your business! People, ugh. so nosey.

Oh my god, so much this. Because of my CF I cough A LOT. And people always feel the need to give me advice about how to stop coughing. NO IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY I WILL HAVE THIS COUGH UNTIL I DIE.

Freya
08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Seriously! Like "I read that if you drink warm tea before you go to bed, you'll cough less!" Really? you think if that worked I would have spent thousands of dollars on doctor related stuff instead $5 for some tea bags? REALLY?

Jinx
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
RIGHT? Or telling me to get a dehumidifier. Or if I drink enough water I won't cough that much. Or, or, or.

I just tell people it's allergies these days. Way less questions and advice from them.

noxious.sunshine
08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey Jinxy.

Drink warm tea.

:love:

Sephex
08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
RIGHT? Or telling me to get a dehumidifier. Or if I drink enough water I won't cough that much. Or, or, or.

I just tell people it's allergies these days. Way less questions and advice from them.

You should see a doctor about those allergies.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Hey Jinxy.

Drink warm tea.

:love:

I would give this advice to absolutely anyone under any circumstance.