PDA

View Full Version : WiiU

gamewizzard16
08-20-2013, 04:33 AM
I was wondering if the wiiu is worth the money i really want one but i wanted to get the opinions of others who own or played 1

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Depends. Are you looking to play games? If so, best avoid it for now.

Sephex
08-20-2013, 04:42 AM
There are a couple of good games out there, and good stuff is on the horizon. I am currently enjoying mine. I know that there have been emulators forever now, but the Virtual Console on the Wii U actually has some damn fine deals all the time. I mean, Super Metroid was 30 cents for a couple of weeks a couple months ago.

Much like the Wii and both versions of the DS, the Wii U seems to be slooooooooowly picking up steam in terms of fresh content. So unless there is a game out now that you REEEAAALLLLYYY want to play, I say wait for a bit and snag one if it drops in price by the time you want a few games for it.

gamewizzard16
08-20-2013, 04:49 AM
There are a couple of good games out there, and good stuff is on the horizon. I am currently enjoying mine. I know that there have been emulators forever now, but the Virtual Console on the Wii U actually has some damn fine deals all the time. I mean, Super Metroid was 30 cents for a couple of weeks a couple months ago.

Much like the Wii and both versions of the DS, the Wii U seems to be slooooooooowly picking up steam in terms of fresh content. So unless there is a game out now that you REEEAAALLLLYYY want to play, I say wait for a bit and snag one if it drops in price by the time you want a few games for it. thank u there is serval games i had my eye on thank u . U helped me make my decide i going to go for it

Bolivar
08-20-2013, 04:57 AM
If you like what Nintendo puts out it's worth it, especially with the upcoming releases. The Mario on it is actually pretty damn good, very reminiscent of Super Mario World and not just because of the world map. And I gotta give it up to Nintendo for the minigames that come with the system, they sure know how to showcase their new, inventive hardware inputs.

There really isn't a whole lot, but you can find enough of the multiplatform titles that do come over there to keep you occupied before things pick up. Waiting for a price drop might be a good bet, though.

Good luck (have fun).

Del Murder
08-20-2013, 05:44 AM
So far it doesn't have that 'one game' to make it worth getting. New Super Mario U isn't going to do it for me. A major Zelda, 3D Mario, or Monolith Soft title will though.

Flaming Ice
08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I remember reading there was an important issue that needed to be fixed but you need internet connection to fix it.

But if you get one monster hunter tri......very good game, specially online ......i have it for ds and the orginal version for wii.

Evastio
08-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Well, if none of the current games out right now interest you enough, I'd say you should wait. The second half of 2013 is going to have a lot more Wii U releases, so maybe getting one just before the holidays (so that there's a good chunk of games out, but Wii U's aren't out of stock due to it being the holidays) would be a good idea. Personally, I really enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land.

NSMBU's level design is the most dynamic and hectic it's ever been in a 2D Mario game (with floors constantly shifting on you and levels loaded with enemies, even in the first levels), the challenge mode is really fun and difficult (I've still yet to get gold on all the challenges) with a big variety of objectives (the ones where touching coins kill you is especially hard), and mastering controlling Mario and the boost mode platforms at the same time really makes for a fresh, difficult challenge (quite a lot of challenges in the game require boost mode). Plus, it retains the 4 player co-op of NSMB Wii, which I'm a big fan of.

Nintendo Land is a lot of fun, especially in multiplayer. The games where it's all of the Wii Remote players against the Gamepad players (Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion) are really fun, especially when everyone is talking and strategizing on how to get the Gamepad player. The ways the gamepad is used is quite unique as well, whether it's a dynamic camera and gun/bow aimer in Metroid Blast/Zelda Battle Quest, a Shuriken launcher in Takamaru's Ninja Castle, or an alternate camera view in Captain Falcon's Twisted Race (forward view for the TV, bird's eye view for the Gamepad, and you need to switch between both in different track parts). Some games aren't as intricate or content packed as others, but there's plenty of variety in the games.

I remember reading there was an important issue that needed to be fixed but you need internet connection to fix it.

Don't worry. All Wii U's from spring 2013 and onward include all of those first few month updates straight from the box, so all important issues have been ironed out regarding the hardware.

Flaming Ice
08-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Don't worry. All Wii U's from spring 2013 and onward include all of those first few month updates straight from the box, so all important issues have been ironed out regarding the hardware.

Oh, well that's great then....I didn't see any news about it after so I didn't know.

gamewizzard16
08-22-2013, 10:34 PM
thank u all for ur help

Madame Adequate
08-22-2013, 11:05 PM
With the sales as they are buying a WiiU is a great way to piss away money on a console that's going to soon be abandoned.

Del Murder
08-23-2013, 12:25 AM
I don't think that's true at all. Well, the abandonment part, maybe not the pissing away. Even if third party publishers back away from the WiiU, they will still have the best first party publisher ever backing it and at least that counts for something.

Bolivar
08-23-2013, 12:37 AM
When the big publishers backed away from the PSP, that's when the best games started coming out for it. Turns out you don't need Ubisoft, Activision and EA to have a gamer's game machine.

I suppose something similar kinda happened to the Wii, with Mad World, Xenoblade, The Last Story and such coming out for it in later years... I think?

Evastio
08-23-2013, 01:13 AM
With the sales as they are buying a WiiU is a great way to piss away money on a console that's going to soon be abandoned.

The 3DS situation says hi.

Just because the sales are low now, doesn't mean it won't pick up steam later. With all of the 1st party content coming in the later half of this year, the Wii U is sure to pick up momentum and sales. Nintendo's 1st party titles have always been what sells their consoles, after all. Just look at the best selling games for Nintendo consoles. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games) Sure, third party support has been rather weak for Nintendo home consoles, but it doesn't need them as much as their competitors, Sony and Microsoft.

Flaming Ice
08-24-2013, 02:38 AM

We'll see ...they still have legend of zelda coming out...and there was another game they had a trailer for that looked really good.

Sephex
08-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Everyone says something like this about a Nintendo console ever since the N64, and yet, this never happens.

Madame Adequate
08-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah the N64 and GC were rampaging successes that smashed all sales figures :p

Anyway it's not that the WiiU has weak sales, it has catastrophically terrible sales. I'm not saying third-party devs will abandon the WiiU, I'm saying Nintendo might have to. Y'all really aren't grasping how goddamn atrocious the situation is for them, so here:

BBC News - Nintendo Wii U 'flogging a dead horse' - Gaming expert (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23514789)

See that 160,000? If you watch the video you'll learn that this isn't just British sales or anything. When I thought that was UK sales I thought that was bad. When I thought that was European sales I thought it was disastrous. It's global sales. Want to know what the Europe (and Australian) sales for the WiiU were in the three months to June? Ten thousand. Two months after release the Wii sold about 435,000 in the US. Two months after release the WiiU sold 57,000 units in the US (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-15-wii-u-sells-57-000-systems-in-january) - barely 13% of its predecessor. In the same month the 360 sold around 281,000 consoles. You can go into the whys and wherefores of this however much you want, the fact is that a brand new console two months out of the gate should not be getting beaten fivefold in sales by a console that came out seven years earlier. Christ it was probably outsold by second-hand PS2s.

Asda - second-largest supermarket chain in the UK and owned by Wal*Mart - aren't even stocking the console. I can go into Asda and buy consoles released seven or eight years ago, but not one released nine months ago. Nintendo's original projection for sales in their fiscal year 2013 was 5.5 million; they revised that down to 4 million, turned out to be 3.5 million. Their original game sales projection was 24 million, which got cut by a full fucking third to 16 million.

Look I'm not saying this is the death knell of Nintendo as a whole or anything like that, and I'm not talking about the actual quality of the games on the thing, but even with big names coming up the WiiU needed to gain a fuck of a lot more ground before the XBone and PS4 hit. It's failing to compete with the last generation, how the hell is it going to compete with the new one? Criticizing the commercial situation of the WiiU is not actually an attack on Nintendo and may not warrant five seperate posts jumping to their defense, but Nintendo fanboys are bad even by this industry's standards.

Sephex
08-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Whoa, slow down, dude. I was just saying that Nintendo has been in hot water before, so this is business as usual as far as I am concerned. I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you. I just think it's tiring that every generation there is an exaggeration of how bad Nintendo is. And yes, this is the worst they have seen it. However, like last time Nintendo was in a bad place, their handheld market kept them afloat. While the 3DS had a bad start, it is doing fantastic now, so again their current handheld saved the day.

It's kind of how the whole PS3 has no games thing got old real fast.

Also, I guess I am a pretty crappy Nintendo fan boy since I own all three major consoles and mostly play video games on my PC. You know me better than some average dude on the internet, man. Don't jump to conclusions, please.

Evastio
08-26-2013, 02:29 AM
Look I'm not saying this is the death knell of Nintendo as a whole or anything like that, and I'm not talking about the actual quality of the games on the thing, but even with big names coming up the WiiU needed to gain a smurf of a lot more ground before the XBone and PS4 hit. It's failing to compete with the last generation, how the hell is it going to compete with the new one? Criticizing the commercial situation of the WiiU is not actually an attack on Nintendo and may not warrant five seperate posts jumping to their defense, but Nintendo fanboys are bad even by this industry's standards.

This is probably a bad move saying this to a CK, but I really wouldn't be calling out the "Nintendo fanboys" that are supporting, believing, and hoping the Wii U situation will improve, even if it may seem like a lost cause to you (and it's not like we're bashing on the other gaming consoles with our posts in this thread, so I don't see why our optimistic, hopeful comments about the Wii U warranted a comment like "Nintendo fanboys are bad even by this industry's standards"). Every fanbase has its bad apples, and PC, Sony, and Microsoft are definitely no exceptions. I know you personally (to put it nicely without starting a flame war) aren't very fond of and don't have much faith in platforms that aren't PC or Microsoft. If the XBox One were to do poorly during its first half year, you probably wouldn't like it if people were rubbing the poor console sales and game retailers not stocking on it in your face, especially if you knew that there were some games coming out later on that would help fix the situation.

Anyways, yes, the Wii U situation is bad, especially in the UK. But Europe is the area where the Wii U is doing the worst in. In America, the Wii U is doing significantly better there, and in Asia, it's doing a lot better there, especially in Asia where Wii U sales have shot up from Pikmin 3's release recently. The 3DS was in a similar situation, until Super Mario 3D Land (the best selling 3DS game so far) and Mario Kart 7 boosted up 3DS sales. With games like Super Mario 3D World (which will likely shoot up sales like 3D Land did for the 3DS, plus 3D World has 4 player co-op which'll really help sell it, especially since it's a first for a 3D Mainstream Mario), DKC: Tropical Freeze (DKC games have always had good sales, right after Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda), The Wonderful 101, Zelda: Wind Waker HD (which has been confirmed to have Wii U bundles with the game included) on the horizon, I'm sure the Wii U sales will improve. Sure, the sales likely won't be astronomical like the Wii or PS2, but it'll likely be enough to keep the console afloat, like the Gamecube's sale amount.

Also, yes, the Wii U will have to compete with the PS4 and XBox One for the 2013 holidays. The thing is, the PS4 and XBox One library won't be as big as the Wii U's library by the holidays. The PS4 and XBox One also won't have the big next gen system sellers on their consoles (like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3) by the end of 2013 and most of the games that will be out by the 2013 Holidays will also be available on PS3 and XBox 360 (CoD: Ghosts, Watch Dogs, AC IV), so a good portion of people likely won't be going next gen with Sony and Microsoft yet. I'm not bashing on Sony or Microsoft by any means by saying that. I'm just saying that PS4 and XBox One likely won't sell like hotcakes during the first couple of months of its release.

Del Murder
08-26-2013, 02:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with being loyal to a company that has provided you with so many years of quality entertainment. Also, we have Pikachu. :p

Those numbers are pretty bad, but WiiU really has no great games out for it yet. As soon as a major Zelda or Metroid title is announced then the sales will pick up. This might actually be a good thing for a Nintendo game fan, because with such crappy sales then Nintendo will have to try all that much harder to make great games to justify ownership.

Bolivar
08-26-2013, 03:05 AM
, so a good portion of people likely won't be going next gen with Sony and Microsoft yet. I'm just saying that PS4 and XBox One likely won't sell like hotcakes during the first couple of months of its release.

I think that possibility has come and gone. These consoles have probably the most robust launch lineups ever and their demand is also unprecedented. The PS4 already has over a million pre-orders and it's not even fall yet.

Yes, the major western publishers are already in the process of abandoning the platform and absent some unforeseen circumstance, I don't see that reversing, even after Nintendo's heavy hitters start showing. But I do think their first party will be enough to keep it afloat, along with some help from Atlus, Sega, Namco, and Square. They're already making this an amazing year for the Nintendo 3DS and 9 times out of 10 I'll take them over EA, Ubisoft and Activision.

Flaming Ice
08-26-2013, 03:22 AM
, so a good portion of people likely won't be going next gen with Sony and Microsoft yet. I'm just saying that PS4 and XBox One likely won't sell like hotcakes during the first couple of months of its release.

I think that possibility has come and gone. These consoles have probably the most robust launch lineups ever and their demand is also unprecedented. The PS4 already has over a million pre-orders and it's not even fall yet.

Yes, the major western publishers are already in the process of abandoning the platform and absent some unforeseen circumstance, I don't see that reversing, even after Nintendo's heavy hitters start showing. But I do think their first party will be enough to keep it afloat, along with some help from Atlus, Sega, Namco, and Square. They're already making this an amazing year for the Nintendo 3DS and 9 times out of 10 I'll take them over EA, Ubisoft and Activision.

Don't forget monolith soft they have really good games too.

Flaming Ice
08-26-2013, 03:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with being loyal to a company that has provided you with so many years of quality entertainment. Also, we have Pikachu. :p

Those numbers are pretty bad, but WiiU really has no great games out for it yet. As soon as a major Zelda or Metroid title is announced then the sales will pick up. This might actually be a good thing for a Nintendo game fan, because with such crappy sales then Nintendo will have to try all that much harder to make great games to justify ownership.

Last Zelda didn't seem so great though......they need to make it more open what you can do...pretty much it's "use this to defeat this enemy, use that to defeat this enemy"....there's not much variation.

It would be more fun if you could do things like trip enemies with your whip, shield bash to make enemies stagger, and different things like that. Plus none of the puzzles made sense...zelda travels through them and doesn't fight any bosses...and if ghiraham is doing all that than he's pretty pervy. (plus he'd have to magic enemies out of nowhere).

ljkkjlcm9
08-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Bolivar that may be true based on their pre-orders, but factually the Wii U didnt sell bad at launch either.

I feel this trend will be across all 3 companies this generation. Early adopters/fanboys buy "in mass" then sales fall off dramatically til more meaningful releases come.

I love nintendo games and want a Wii U but no game has pushed me there yet. Same with a PS4, nothing exclusive that sells it to me, cause honestly the biggest games this fall are still coming to PS3 and 360.

THE JACKEL

Flaming Ice
08-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Bolivar that may be true based on their pre-orders, but factually the Wii U didnt sell bad at launch either.

I feel this trend will be across all 3 companies this generation. Early adopters/fanboys buy "in mass" then sales fall off dramatically til more meaningful releases come.

I love nintendo games and want a Wii U but no game has pushed me there yet. Same with a PS4, nothing exclusive that sells it to me, cause honestly the biggest games this fall are still coming to PS3 and 360.

THE JACKEL

Yeah, a lot of the good games hit later or can be found on an existing console when they release new games (like twilight princess was for both gamecube and wii).

Madame Adequate
08-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Whoa, slow down, dude. I was just saying that Nintendo has been in hot water before, so this is business as usual as far as I am concerned. I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you. I just think it's tiring that every generation there is an exaggeration of how bad Nintendo is. And yes, this is the worst they have seen it. However, like last time Nintendo was in a bad place, their handheld market kept them afloat. While the 3DS had a bad start, it is doing fantastic now, so again their current handheld saved the day.

Well sure, that's exactly why I said I'm not saying Nintendo is doomed or anything. They've got the handheld market on lock and even though it's a bit weaker than they'd like, they're not going to lose that anytime soon. And SEGA came through worse without even having a second market they dominate - if it came down to it, Nintendo has a hell of a stable they can put onto other consoles if they exited the console game. But these figures aren't indicative of a slow start, they're indicative of a monumental failure that's only a couple steps above the 32X. And no matter how good the console might look when bigger titles start arriving for it, if it's not got any momentum and people aren't even stocking it it is going to be a massive uphill battle to even be in a position to try for market share.

It's kind of how the whole PS3 has no games thing got old real fast.

I agree, you'd think they'd have made some games for it after awhile but here we are.

Del Murder
08-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Nintendo giving up consoles and making games for PS4 would actually be a dream come true for me. Imagine a Nintendo vs. Sony SSB type game!

Evastio
08-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Ugh, the "Nintendo should go 3rd party" argument again? Such a selfish way of thinking (I mean, Sony and Microsoft fans wouldn't like it if their favourite companies went third party).

Nintendo going third party wouldn't be a good idea, as good as you think it'd sound at first. Seeing how they know the hardware they work on inside and out when it comes to making software, having them work on hardware they're not used to will result in the game quality lowering. We know how that went with Sega, with the Sonic Dreamcast games being good, but with the games afterwards being of... significantly lower in quality. I mean, you really want Nintendo to make games that have Sonic 2006 quality?

Even if Nintendo did go third party and all Nintendo games were available on home consoles, competing consoles would only be about power and exclusives (and Sony and Microsoft fans will probably start wishing the other went third party, and once it actually does happens, you can kiss console variety goodbye, and the remaining console can be as greedy and restrictive as they want to be without rival companies holding them back), and there'd be no more variety or lateral innovations with consoles since Nintendo is the one that led in that regard (whether it's touch screens, motion controllers, or tablet controllers).

Also, I'm really sure Nintendo will stick with the Wii U. They got more than enough money to support it (as it stands, they have the money to afford launching 2 more poor selling consoles before they'd be in financial trouble, and that's without accounting for the money they'll make from portables during that time), they've got plenty of games in the works for the Wii U (all the 2013 games I mentioned, plus Mario Kart 8, SSB4, Yarn Yoshi, SMT x FE, the new Zelda, X, and others), and they're the kind of people that wouldn't ditch a current gen console and let down all the people that bought it (besides the Virtual Boy, and that was a very niche, undefined, experimental console).

I'm sorry if you think me sticking up for and defending a company I like when someone else is saying negative things about it is being a rabid fanboy, but I've seen nothing but negative comments and distrust in Nintendo everywhere I go, I'm sick of it, and I'm wanting to bring up the positives about Nintendo when very few people are. Everyone is always focusing on all the bad Nintendo does, and there's hardly as much bad press for other poor selling consoles like the PS3 (back in the day), PS Vita, and the Ouya.

Pike
08-26-2013, 09:57 PM
I've been thinking Nintendo should go the software route for a while now. The Wii was a neat experiment and if sales are any indication then it worked, but that Wii market that they had on lock is now turning towards smartphone and tablet games. Nintendo is stubborn as a mule, though.

In before you guys show up and label me as some sort of ~PC Elitist~ or something. I was raised on fecking Nintendo and I will always love Nintendo. I think they made some of the greatest games and systems of all time. But as Hux was saying, the numbers don't lie, and the WiiU is currently in a dire spot. Maybe they can pull out of it, but it will probably take a bit of a miracle.

Slothy
08-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Ugh, the "Nintendo should go 3rd party" argument again? Such a selfish way of thinking (I mean, Sony and Microsoft fans wouldn't like it if their favourite companies went third party).

It's selfish to want people to be able to play more games without spending a few hundred extra dollars? :Oo:

Nintendo going third party wouldn't be a good idea, as good as you think it'd sound at first. Seeing how they know the hardware they work on inside and out when it comes to making software, having them work on hardware they're not used to will result in the game quality lowering. We know how that went with Sega, with the Sonic Dreamcast games being good, but with the games afterwards being of... significantly lower in quality. I mean, you really want Nintendo to make games that have Sonic 2006 quality?

Honestly not convinced since there's a plethora of well made development tools available for the other platforms that, well, aren't really there on Nintendo hardware. Also, Sega is a pretty bad example since the biggest issues with their games post-Dreamcast have almost never been technical issues. Their games just really fucking sucked.

and once it actually does happens, you can kiss console variety goodbye

Take a look at the PS3 and 360 and the PS4 and XBone now. We waved goodbye to console variety almost a decade ago. Hell, we pretty much waved goodbye to consoles since these things are trying to be more and more like PC's everyday.

Everyone is always focusing on all the bad Nintendo does, and there's hardly as much bad press for other poor selling consoles like the PS3 (back in the day), PS Vita, and the Ouya.

What god damn console launches were you following because there was a lot of criticism of the PS3 in the first few years (which didn't seem to really end until it finally passed the 360 in sales and people finally noticed that the talk of it selling poorly kind of stopped being true a while back), the Vita gets tons of flack for poor sales, and the Ouya has gotten a lot of flack for everything from hardware issues and a lack of decent games to poor game monetization rates. I'm not sure what sort of selective attention one would have to exercise to not notice that those platforms got literally shat on by the press for a long time/still are right now.

Madame Adequate
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM

I never said I personally wanted them to do this. I said they may have to out of necessity. But you seem to have enormous difficulty telling the difference between "Here's what I want to happen" and "Here's what I think will happen".

None of SEGA's mid-2000s problems stemmed from a failure to understand the hardware they were working with. They stemmed from terrible gameplay ideas like the werehog, and the difficulty in making a speed-based rather than platform-based 3D platformer. Nintendo, meanwhile, made Super Mario 64, one of the greatest 3D platformers ever and one of the greatest games ever, because they sat down and figured out how this new variant on platforming would work, which is what Nintendo do when they're at their best. For a Nintendo fan you don't seem to have much faith in their abilities.

Even if Nintendo did go third party and all Nintendo games were available on home consoles, competing consoles would only be about power and exclusives (and Sony and Microsoft fans will probably start wishing the other went third party, and once it actually does happens, you can kiss console variety goodbye, and the remaining console can be as greedy and restrictive as they want to be without rival companies holding them back), and there'd be no more variety or lateral innovations with consoles since Nintendo is the one that led in that regard (whether it's touch screens, motion controllers, or tablet controllers).

If that happened someone else would enter the market very quickly, whether someone new to it or someone who had exited the market and now saw it as ripe for re-entry.

I'm sorry if you think me sticking up for and defending a company I like when someone else is saying negative things about it is being a fanboy, but I've seen nothing but negative comments and distrust in Nintendo everywhere I go, I'm sick of it, and I'm wanting to bring up the positives about Nintendo when very few people are. Everyone is always focusing on all the bad Nintendo does, and there's hardly as much bad press for other poor selling consoles like the PS3 (back in the day), PS Vita, and the Ouya.

I don't really know where to begin with this but it's the most fanboy thing I've seen in forever. Once again the fact I am saying "Guys Nintendo might be in real trouble here" does not mean I think that this is a good thing or that I want Nintendo to be in trouble, I am pointing out stark realities. Go click the news articles I linked in my last post. The BBC is not some longstanding videogaming journalism outlet with a proven track record of disliking Nintendo! And anyway I hope the WiiU does succeed! I want nothing more than another console with loads of great games on it! I want the next generation to be filled with innovative games that use the hardware's various unique attributes to do all kinds of cool shit!

As for the last sentence, are you high? PS3 buyers are so sore about the stick the console got that they're still mad about "PS3 has no gaems" like seven years later. The PSVita is still called the No Gaems Portable in half the places I see it mentioned (and anyway hasn't ended up selling all that badly). As for the Ouya, I've not seen such a hilarious catastrofuck in the industry for 30 years, this thing is a literal scam and the only reason there's not more out there about it is because nobody cared to get one in the first place.

Spuuky
08-26-2013, 10:15 PM
But you should be a PC Elitist. Because the PC is objectively better as a gaming platform. I was going to add a "just kidding," but I considered it and I'm not.

And I also do think Nintendo would be better served by making games for other consoles at this point rather than trying to save the WiiU. Nintendo consoles have certainly failed before. Nostalgic love of the SNES isn't going to keep everyone a customer forever; if Zelda games and Mario games and whatever else people play on Nintendo systems became available for other consoles, there'd be no reason to own a Nintendo console.

I will probably never buy a console again, unless we reach a generation where one console is clearly the dominant one, so that it gets all the good exclusive games. Because to me, the only reason to own any console is the exclusives, and I'd still rather just be playing those on the PC, but I'm not allowed.

Evastio
08-26-2013, 11:16 PM
It's selfish to want people to be able to play more games without spending a few hundred extra dollars? :Oo:

Coming at the expense of another company's success and goals, yes. I can understand not wanting to buy another console to play some games (Dissidia was a huge example of that in my case, since I wanted to play it that badly), but wishing for a company to fail for that to happen is quite selfish.

Take a look at the PS3 and 360 and the PS4 and XBone now. We waved goodbye to console variety almost a decade ago. Hell, we pretty much waved goodbye to consoles since these things are trying to be more and more like PC's everyday.

It's true that console variety been very weak for a while, but Nintendo has been doing quite a lot to diversify their consoles like Motion Controllers, Wii U Gamepad, and touchscreens, which have led themselves to many new different kinds of games/games of uncommon genres being developed. Losing that kind of variety and diversity in gaming can only be a bad thing. I mean, even if most traditional gamers didn't like Brain Age, Nintendogs, or Wii Fit, that doesn't mean other people did (especially since those three are some of the best selling games on their systems), and it's not like those niche but hotselling games stopped traditional games from being released or skewed the market too heavily in that direction.

What god damn console launches were you following because there was a lot of criticism of the PS3 in the first few years (which didn't seem to really end until it finally passed the 360 in sales and people finally noticed that the talk of it selling poorly kind of stopped being true a while back), the Vita gets tons of flack for poor sales, and the Ouya has gotten a lot of flack for everything from hardware issues and a lack of decent games to poor game monetization rates. I'm not sure what sort of selective attention one would have to exercise to not notice that those platforms got literally shat on by the press for a long time/still are right now.

I have seen my share of bad press about other consoles regarding Sony and Ouya's sales in case you're wondering, but it's nothing compared to the bad press and the amount of articles about the 3DS' (at the time) and Wii U's sales. I've personally experienced on other sites people insisting things like poor sales on other consoles not being as significant as Nintendo's poor sales, saying biased things like "well no one expected the Vita to succeed, so its poor sales aren't as bad as the Wii U's" or "Ouya isn't mainstream while the Wii U is, so their failure doesn't count."

I'm well aware of the "PS3 having no gaemz", the PS Vita's poor sales and lack of both current and upcoming games (specifically exclusives), and the bad press the Ouya is receiving. I've been following the Ouya since the very beginning, I was even the one making the very first Ouya thread on EoFF, I know about the "Scruya", how a lot of people's preordered consoles were not being given when the retail versions were already out, how a lot of preordering customers were given beta/alpha versions of the console and weren't given the final version they're promised, and how they hardly have any games or indie's developing for it (which was supposed to be its selling point). And I haven't even gotten to the bad press the "XBox One Eigthy" has gotten (but since none of it relates to sale amounts, I won't delve into it). I just find that there's a lot more bad press for Nintendo than for the other game companies. Sorry if I came off as that biased or blind to the bad press other companies have gotten.

Anyways, it's probably best if I stop here before warns start being given out or the thread gets closed.

Spuuky
08-26-2013, 11:20 PM
I will just say as someone who DOESN'T carefully follow news about consoles, only a few times has the bad press about a console become so widespread that even I was aware of it.

PS3
WiiU
Ouya if that even counts because no one reputable whose opinions I saw even expected it to succeed in the first place

Only one of those is a Nintendo console, and the PS3 seemed to have gotten much more negative press than the WiiU to me; again, from the perspective of someone who doesn't really follow console news or care that much.

Flaming Ice
08-27-2013, 03:54 AM
I've been thinking Nintendo should go the software route for a while now. The Wii was a neat experiment and if sales are any indication then it worked, but that Wii market that they had on lock is now turning towards smartphone and tablet games. Nintendo is stubborn as a mule, though.

Part of that market was middle aged women buying wii fit though............;)

What they need to do is make games for people who grew up with nintendo. Instead they make their games really childish. Glad that monster hunter and those few rpgs that took forever to get into english came out but a few isn't enough for people who play games as a hobby.

Playstation's major flaw is their highly priced console.......

Bolivar
08-27-2013, 04:14 AM
The thing about sales is that it's all spin. Even when the PS3 was in "dire straits" it had still sold faster than almost every console in history up to that point, including the 360 (as in year 1 vs. year 1 sales, year 2 vs. year 2, etc.). It's also perception. Someone informed of current gaming events probably wouldn't know that Gran Turismo is more successful than Forza or that Final Fantasy XIII was much more popular than Mass Effect 2. So outside of spin and perception, I don't think video game sales support the crazy extremes they're often rationalizing. As Evastio pointed out, Nintendo can withstand two more generations of Wii U debacles before it seriously has to evolve or die. Of course a console that sells no units with no brand power is going to fail, but in most cases, the numbers really won't mean as much as a the gamer commenting on a news article is making it out to be. We're a bunch of sensationalist trolls, not informed investors. And if history has taught us anything, I'm not really convinced that sales translate into the health of a game library.

I agree with Iwata that all of Nintendo's good will would dissipate if they became a third party publisher. Nintendo's software feeds off the creativity of its hardware and vice versa. A lot of its games throughout history wouldn't have been possible on other platforms. I'm absolutely absorbed in Etrian Odyssey IV right now and that game just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't on a handheld with a stylus and stereoscopic 3D. The day I play Mario with a dualshock or sync my Zelda save on the Steam cloud is the day gaming becomes a hell of a lot less magical.

Slothy
08-27-2013, 04:31 AM
Coming at the expense of another company's success and goals, yes. I can understand not wanting to buy another console to play some games (Dissidia was a huge example of that in my case, since I wanted to play it that badly), but wishing for a company to fail for that to happen is quite selfish.

This assumes that said company couldn't be as, or more, successful if they stopped making hardware.

But even if it did require a company to be worse off for it to happen, so what? Why would me or anyone else being selfish about the games they want to play be a bad thing? Nintendo is a company in business to make a profit, not a starving child that's having their sandwich snatched from them. We don't owe them anything.

And just for the record, so you don't misunderstand, I really couldn't care less if Nintendo went third party or not. They haven't made a game I really enjoyed that was the least bit original in more than a decade. If they'd like to make original titles that are as innovative and enjoyable as games like Super Mario Bros., Zelda, or Mario 64 were, they are welcome to court me again.

Freya
08-27-2013, 05:44 AM
I want a Wii u. why? Zelda. Why did i buy a 3DS? Zelda. Why did I get a Wii? Zelda.

Those big exclusives sell their product. Instead of bleeding some of there popular series dry (mario) they should focus on making quality games of the stuff people love.

Madame Adequate
09-06-2013, 05:12 AM
The Death Of Nintendo Has Been Greatly Under-Exaggerated | TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/04/nintendont/)

I don't agree with his conclusions about selling to Apple (wat) but most of the base he lays out seems sound to me.

Bolivar
09-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Again, spin from a tech journalist who thinks the business world operates in such a way that of you're not first, you should start looking for a buyer.

Ex: he paints the 2ds as a desperation move since the 3ds is tracking 20% behind its predecessor. But the DS was a cultural phenomenon, achieving a level of success that few tech products ever have.

The Wii isn't on top but Nintendo's home consoles never were for the majority of the last twenty years. They're fine.

Also, under-exaggerated is a pretty horrible compound word.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Ex: he paints the 2ds as a desperation move since the 3ds is tracking 20% behind its predecessor. But the DS was a cultural phenomenon, achieving a level of success that few tech products ever have.

To be fair, that may be a bit of a problem for them. When they had to cut the price of the 3DS early on to drive sales up they were taking a loss on every unit sold which is something they rarely do. Now it may not be a major problem for them just the same. It's well known they were swimming in cash for years and their software sales may have picked up the slack, but still, they've had to make a lot of decisions they never had to make before, and we know their performance has suffered as a result or Iwata wouldn't have volunteered to take a pay cut for the myriad of fuck ups under his watch lately.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Nah, he's using this to argue for his pet cause of "I like Nintendo! I like Apple! What if they were together!" but the fact his conclusion is silly doesn't mean the statistics are. Look, a bunch of business and tech commentators didn't just decide one day that it would be funny to shit on Nintendo for no reason, all this stuff is coming from somewhere, and his points about how concern about Nintendo's financial status is seen as criticism of Nintendo and how anyone who wants to point out that the WiiU is doing badly has to preface it with loads of "I love Nintendo I grew up playing NES" stuff is all very relevant.

Madame Adequate
09-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Japan Hardware sales figures for last week, and the week prior in brackets:

3DS LL – 236,700 (60,077)
3DS – 40,092 (19,114)
PlayStation 3 – 12,146 (13,790)
PlayStation Vita – 6,020 (7,314)
PSP – 5,449 (5,493)
Wii U – 5,003 (5,702)

Del Murder
09-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Yikes, even below Vita and PSP? Ouch.

Denmark
09-20-2013, 08:09 PM
well, what (exclusive) games does it have?

the wind waker? i got that game like 10 years ago
super mario bros wii u? it's a sidescrolling mario game, those have been out for 28 years
pikmin 3? ehhhhhhh i didn't really like the first pikmin game (i never got the hang of it despite repeated attempts, i'm aware a lot of people liked it)

(i don't have and won't be getting a WiiU)

Skyblade
09-20-2013, 08:12 PM

super mario bros wii u? it's a sidescrolling mario game, those have been out for 28 years
pikmin 3? ehhhhhhh i didn't really like the first pikmin game (i never got the hang of it despite repeated attempts, i'm aware a lot of people liked it)

ZombiU is actually supposed to be pretty dang good, and have some interesting mechanics.

But, when it comes to an exclusive title, there's one coming up that is reason enough for me to buy it: Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

Bolivar
09-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah zombie u is very interesting when you play local, one player trying to survive on the controller and a GM placing zombies trying to kill the player via the tablet. I think when someone understands how viable and addicting a dungeons and dragons type game can be on this thing, it's gonna be nuts.

It got some decent recent AAA ports, they're just games that alot of people already have. We'll see this holiday season if the first party games can convince people to make their wii u the home for their 3rd party games as well.

NeoCracker
09-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Well, I have my WiiU now, and Wind Waker HD looks fucking beautiful. I picked up Megaman X and Earthbound on the Virtual Console, and I plan to pick up Sonic Lost Worlds as well, adding another game to this years list. :p

Old Manus
09-25-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd only consider investing in a Nintendo product if they decided to do something other than rehash Mario, Zelda, Metroid et al once every few years forever. I was never fussed on any of them and I'm sure a large portion of the market isn't either.

NeoCracker
09-27-2013, 07:05 AM
3DS Surpasses Lifetime Wii Sales in Japan (http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/09/3ds-surpasses-lifetime-wii-sales-in-japan/)

Yeah, there is basically the response to the 'death of nintendo' shit from Milf's Article. Even if the WiiU bombs, Nintendo's 3DS money right now is pretty damn impressive. :p

Del Murder
09-27-2013, 07:35 AM
I'm totally fine if Nintendo just focuses on handhelds. There's way more great DS games I played than Wii games.

Psychotic
09-27-2013, 07:42 AM
I would not be surprised if the WiiU was the last Nintendo home console, but I would also not be surprised for them to go on to dominate the handheld market for some time. I would be very surprised if the company as a whole collapsed.

I also do not think it is selfish to want Nintendo to go third party, because Nintendo will still make money from the games they make - indeed, they would make a lot more because the sales would be vastly higher with a greater market to access. Simple economics! I also do not think it is selfish to want a whole new generation of fans who have no interest in buying the WiiU (because consoles aren't exactly cheap) can enjoy them. I think the Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. franchises would get a massive boost if they were on the Sony and Microsoft consoles.

NeoCracker
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
The reason I don't want that to happen, regardless of my preferance for Sony's console over nintendo's, is that we desperately need the market to be competitive. The more competition there is, the harder you have to work. If we only have two people competing, all it takes is for one company to shit themselves to shift everything over to the other guy. Hell, were it not for Sony stepping in with the playstation, something I recall happening only due to their deals and partnerships with Nintendo on the whole Project Dolphin thing, we would have had only one console with the N64 in most places.

I dont' see shrinking out the competition to be good for anyone in the long run, so I hope Microsoft fully removes their head from their ass's and WiiU picks up so we can have a strong and varied market. :p

Slothy
09-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Even if Nintendo left the home console market we wouldn't see a reduction in competition most likely. Someone else would step in to fill the gap. Especially since the other two are so similar hardware and game wise that calling them competitors is a bit of a joke.

Bolivar
09-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Competition is a vague abstraction. If you look at markets with only a few firms, competition means offering the most accessible products for the broadest demographic. Competition between Sony and Microsoft this generation translated to who has the most timed DLC for first person shooters and action games. Competition resulted in the Kinect and Move.

I like having the three companies because each one has its own swagger. And Iwata is correct in that the creativity of Nintendos software flows from ethos of its hardware and vice versa. It just wouldn't feel magical anymore. It would no longer feel like Nintendo.

I'm also unconvinced it would translate to more success. It is very difficult for a multiplatform game to achieve the same buzz and excitement that an exclusive title attracts. Relatively few tend to pull that off.

Lastly I agree with Del that Nintendo's handhelds have been about more compelling than their home counterparts for at least two generations now.

Madame Adequate
09-27-2013, 04:19 PM
3DS Surpasses Lifetime Wii Sales in Japan (http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/09/3ds-surpasses-lifetime-wii-sales-in-japan/)

Yeah, there is basically the response to the 'death of nintendo' shit from Milf's Article. Even if the WiiU bombs, Nintendo's 3DS money right now is pretty damn impressive. :p

Absolutely nobody has said their handheld sector is in bad shape and indeed the most common proposal floated around is for them to become an exclusively handheld company precisely because of their unsurpassed strength and expertise in that field. I don't think anyone's actually saying "Nintendo will die and stop existing, their franchises sold off to the highest bidders" anyway. Even if all hardware totally collapsed for them they'd follow SEGA into software, not stop existing.

There's an inherent weakness in such a focus - if the WiiU fails (And it is) they've got something to fall back on. If they only make one thing they've got nothing to fall back on if that should go south.

Also you can't really say you want there to be competition and then get mad when there's a loser.

Flaming Ice
09-28-2013, 04:56 AM

Monster hunter is good...same game as the wii version however.....but a whole ton of added stuff though
'

Seeing the popularity of Pokemon is would be smart of them to make a game for wiiu.......

But they are making smash bros for 3DS and the same kinds of games (mario, zelda etc) they have on 3DS too so you pretty much have the same kinds of games for both but the 3DS will probably get a lot of better games.

I haven't really seen anything exciting in xbox either.....hardly any exclusives to look at, and you have to pay for online....