PDA

View Full Version : Pimp Your Ride

Formalhaut
08-21-2013, 05:20 PM
We've not really had a car thread have we? Right then.

So what car do you have then? How long have you had it for, and what do you think of it? Have you given it a name? If you have any pictures of it, then it would be great if you could share us your pride and joy! (Or, you rusted up Point A to Point B car).

Next, what would be your 'ideal' dream car. I'm not talking factory standard here. I'm talking a car that would have gone through that garage in the show 'Pimp my Ride. You know, a gaming system in your car, or even a mini river in the middle of the back seat (I remember this, this actually happened).

Of course, why not have rockets? Or a mini-kitchen? How about a library?

Basically, just go off talking all about cars you have and cars you wish you had.

Pike
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
My car is a 2002 Toyota Corolla which I have dubbed Nautilus. It's my faithful companion and having paid it off last year I expect it to last me another ten years or so because it's still sub-100k miles and Corollas are built like tanks. :heart:

noxious.sunshine
08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Ooooo! Lemme see if I have pictures of Bumblebee.

That's when it was brand new. It's a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback - 5 spd manual. My dad and I picked it out together and got a really good deal on it. Bee is paid off now, but is back in the possession of my parents. They needed it more than I did, so I gave it back (as in... We got into an argument, and I just said "screw it. Come get the damn thing."). I still love the car. We have lots of memories together and I don't think I could ever just junk it.

Right now, I drive my boyfriend's 2013 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatchback - 6 spd manual. It's a really nice car.

That's not an actual photo of the car (obviously), but that's what it looks like. It's pretty sweet.

I don't know what I'd want for an ideal dream car. I guess because of Parker, I'd want an SUV - like an Explorer or Excursion, but I really dig Honda Civic si model. And the DXes.

But in all actuality, I'd really just like to have my Focus back. My dad and I were supposed to customize it - we were gonna add a midwing, get new rims for it (either black or gunmetal), a body kit, add more horsepower to it, stuff like that. .... It never happened though.

Slothy
08-21-2013, 05:38 PM
2009 Silver 4-door Hyundai Accent. Not much to say about it aside from them being rather safe, reliable, and ours almost being paid off.

As for my dream car, fuck if there aren't plenty of options.

For something that's actually street legal I'd love to have a Nissan GT-R. Preferably with the limiter removed.

For something completely off the wall and insane and which would never be legal ever at all, I wouldn't say no to a Formula 1 car. The 2013 Red Bull would do.

Formalhaut
08-21-2013, 05:38 PM
What sort of memories did you have with your car Noxy?

Shorty
08-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Noxy, I also have a Mazda 3! I wish I had a hatchback. Their seats fold down flat, don't they?

This isn't an actual photo of my car, but it's close enough (just without the spoiler). I love love love my car. I've had it for just a little over two years and it is very me.

http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/2013/0219/165600456_04174735218004694033511940073313289073126818a2fec5bc1ebde5f828e47025e98f4b6e6f054488.jpg

I have an Alkaline Trio decal in the back left window, a Red Hot Chili Peppers decal in the right corner of the rear window and my license plate frame says "dream of californication" :love:

My dream car is a teal lifted IH Scout with the biggest tires available to man. I saw Flea driving one in the By the Way music video and I've been in love ever since.

Slothy
08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't mind one of them there Mazda's. So sexy.

Jinx
08-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I have a 2000 Buick Regal. I like it well enough.

My dream car is a TARDIS.

Slothy
08-21-2013, 05:52 PM
My dream car is a TARDIS.

I'd like to change my answer.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-21-2013, 05:57 PM
I also own Mazdas, and have tinkered and toyed with several Focuses and other Fords. ( I guess I've tinkered with a lot of cars.)

Nox's likely either uses a Zetec or Duratec motor. The early one's used ztec, but switched to Duratec sometime around 2005.

It's funny to me, because the Duratec motor is basically Mazda's MZR line of motors. Ford just bought the rights to it and manufacture it with their name. So obviously I'm familiar with it. :P

My dream car (Ford GT40 Mark 1, although this one is a little modified), with some damn nice fallback options in the background.
http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/2002/856744.jpg

Slothy
08-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Excuse me while I wipe up my drool Sharky.

Spuuky
08-21-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't really understand why anyone would ever buy an actual new car. It's just sooooooo much less cost effective.

LocoColt04
08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
WARNING: Image dump ahead. Beware of spoilers. Ha, spoilers. Cars. Gotcha.

My first car was a 1990 Ford Taurus wagon. She was large and red, and aptly named Big Bertha.
(If you cannot tell me the name of this game within five seconds, you're either young and forgiven, or old and no longer respected.)
I do not have any pictures of Big Bertha, but I'm sure google can find one for you.

I bought a 2008 Honda Fit Sport in the most gorgeous of blues. She was sweet to me. Her name was Penelope.

46831 (oh hey, Bertha's in the background!!!)

She was less than a month off the manufacturing line when I bought her, and she only had two miles on her when I took her for my test drive. It was a long test drive. Really long... she ended up with seven miles on the odometer when I signed the paperwork to take her home.

But then, after only having her for a week, some punk kid punched a hole in her back window while I was at work. And I didn't know, until it rained the next day and

But we got her patched up and she was good. Then, a couple years later, she got her back half pounded in by a Ford F-350. We took her to the doctor, and she ended up running better than she did the day she came off the lot, with better mileage too! Go figure.

She got bumped from behind a couple more times after that too, but none of them needed surgery.

Everything was fine and dandy
Thanks to this ^ 16 year old taking a left turn into oncoming traffic at 55mph. smurfing idiot almost killed us both.
I was only seven months away from having her paid in full, and I was going to do so much cool shit to her.
Rest in pieces, Penelope.

So I had to drive a shitty Dodge Caliber for a month while the insurance companies bickered over who was at fault... even though four witnesses and a police report all said it was the kid's fault.

And then, Persephone found her way to my doorstep. Not literally though, because I would have had to carry her up a flight of stairs and park her in front of my apartment.

Persephone is a 2013 Honda Fit Sport in a fancy Midnight Plum color that was just released this year. She was in the showroom and I thought she was just another black 2012. I was literally filling out paperwork for a silver 2012 (because Texas, and I was dead-set on a light color for heat reflection) and when the sales rep got up to get the next form, I took a look around the floor. I noticed some subtle differences between the car on the floor and the one in the lot I was in the middle of buying, then realized the paint had a little sparkle to it. I pulled out my phone and shined direct light on her, and she lit up purple. Turns out, she was on the floor three weeks before they would even have her in the lot to sell, and at the same sticker price as the 2012 model. So... duh~

She's almost a year old!

Calliope
08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't really care about cars, but sometimes I get irrationally angry that Spuuky's younger brother is going to inherit their grandmother's Plymouth Duster. You know the little old lady who has a mint condition car she has driven only to church and back for the last fifty years? Yeah, that's Spuuky's grandmother. In protest, here is a photo of Spuuky and that sweet, sweet car.

Spuuky
08-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't really care about cars, but sometimes I get irrationally angry that Spuuky's younger brother is going to inherit their grandmother's Plymouth Duster. You know the little old lady who has a mint condition car she has driven only to church and back for the last fifty years? Yeah, that's Spuuky's grandmother. In protest, here is a photo of Spuuky and that sweet, sweet car.

46918That's an attractive young man.

Chris
08-21-2013, 06:40 PM
I have ALWAYS wanted one of these. This is my ultimate dream car. :(

http://www.minichampsuk.com/product_images/minichamps-citroen-2cv-yellow-1980-yellow-1-43.jpg

noxious.sunshine
08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
What sort of memories did you have with your car Noxy?

It's my very first new car. My dad just out of the blue said "Hey! Wanna new car?!" one night after I'd gotten accepted to college out in Phoenix. He'd seen a PT Cruiser (GAG. gag. gag. gag.) for less than $10,000 and thought "why not?" .. I was fine with the hand-me-down Explorer, but hey. When a parent offers to buy you a new car, you don't say no. I just happened to see the Focuses in a car lot and I told my dad, "Whatever -those- are. I like them. A lot." - I knew they were Ford 'cuz the lot was a Ford dealership. We stopped and got a closer look at them, and my dad fell in love with them too. I think we went to dealerships in like 3 different counties doing pricing research and looking for the right one before settling on Bee. It was used, but only had like 500 miles on it. My '94 Explorer, we got $2,500 for and then a $2,500 Ford Family Discount which dropped the price down to right at $10k ... With the additional $1,500 my dad put down on it and gap insurance paid for, the payments were only $209 a month. lol My dad had to drive it home 'cuz I didn't know how to drive a stick shift. I learned pretty quickly though and then my dad started talking about how I need to get my CDL and be a truck driver. XD

Anywho, my sister & I drove it out there and she flew back to Nashville after I got settled in. Lots of partying by the airport, driving around downtown, drove to the reservation like 2 hours away in ShowLow, bunches of stuff.

I think that sharky is right about it being Duratec though. I'm not exactly positive, but it sounds about right. Either way, it's a fun little car - even without all the extra stuff my dad & I were supposed to put on it. Either way, it's just over 7 years old and still has less than 100k miles on it (I think it's just at 81,000 now or so).

@Shorty: Hehehe!! Twinsies! Yeah, the seats fold down, and it's pretty roomie. It's nice having 4 doors .. It's easier to get Parker in & out of as opposed to the Focus which is just 2 door lol. Jay drives the roommate's Speed3 while he's in Afghanistan - they look exactly the same, Cam's car just has leather trim on the seats and a grip load more horsepower. They're even both silver. *dies* And the gas mileage. Omg. We can get to New Boston on 1 tank of gas.

Shorty
08-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah, my blazer's back seats folded down and it was nice. I always wanted to go camping and sleep in the back of my car with the hatch open but I can't do that with my Mazda. :( And trout yeah, best smurfing MPG I've ever had in my life.

I do miss my blazer, though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1172438_10201918387107085_671065515_o.jpg

noxious.sunshine
08-21-2013, 07:40 PM
XD My dad had a crappy Blazer at one point. He and my brother unbolted the roof somehow so that it could be a convertible. They extra buckled my dog in so that they could take him along and not have to worry about him jumping out.

Shorty
08-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I prefer the old 80's boxy ones. My uncle turned his into a convertible and it was awesome.

Pike
08-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Oh, dream cars?

Because I want a Mini Cooper.

Madame Adequate
08-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah, my blazer's back seats folded down and it was nice. I always wanted to go camping and sleep in the back of my car with the hatch open but I can't do that with my Mazda. :( And trout yeah, best smurfing MPG I've ever had in my life.

I do miss my blazer, though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1172438_10201918387107085_671065515_o.jpg

>that big-ass SUV

you're out of the hippies cobb

Shorty
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
It was amazing. If it didn't suck down so much gas, I would have kept it. I miss Charlie terribly. :(

Tires were pretty expensive, too.

noxious.sunshine
08-21-2013, 07:51 PM
haha! I think my dad's was 80's-ish ... Just 'cuz of the ability to take the roof off.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6033/6232368389_69cf85f218_o.jpg

That's an 89. . It seems like our's was newer, but that's not right either. IDK. lol

My dad has an F350 *dies* :

http://images.allamericanautomobiles.com/pictures/50369462.jpg

They have an older model - like '03 or '04, but same color, same body, different running boards. They don't drive it anymore 'cuz diesel is so expensive.

Shorty
08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Yeah, those older models! would take this as a runner-up to a Scout.

http://content.truckspring.com/Images/suspension-lift-kit/chevy_blazer.jpg

The new models look silly lifted.

noxious.sunshine
08-21-2013, 07:56 PM
lolz they're so much fun... My brother and I would go muddin' in our's. Until one time, we were up in "the dunes" in our hometown and it had snowed & everything frozen over. We were sledding & sliding around on the ice.. He decided to back up over a big ice patch, but the blazer fell through and into a big ass mud hole. He got in soooooo much trouble. No one could get us out - even a tow truck.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
It was amazing. If it didn't suck down so much gas, I would have kept it. I miss Charlie terribly. :(

Tires were pretty expensive, too.

I know you loved him, but getting rid of that Vortec V6 was probably a blessing. It depends on the mileage. It's a pretty reliable motor over all, but the intake manifold gasket likes to go ( I see this regularly. While you're repairing it, other parts like to fail while you're from age, making the repair 650-700 on the cheap side and 1,200 on the expensive side.) The water pump also likes to go, which is expected, but this exacerbates the intake manifold gasket issue. It's complex, but basically it can be a big, annoying cluster fuck for the owner. :(

Shorty
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Funny you should mention that, I did have issues with a head gasket leak. I spent a few hundred dollars trying to repair it and in the end when I traded it in, it still hadn't been properly repaired. There may have been other problems, but I didn't see any signs of them in the four years that I owned it.

Slothy
08-21-2013, 08:22 PM
I know I've said it before Sharky, but I want to do what you do.

And do you of course. :love:

noxious.sunshine
08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Oh Sharky.. You and your infinite car wisdom. You're like... The Sheldon Cooper of Car Knowledge. XDD

Lol we also had my Grandmother's old Buick Riviera.. That mofo was a -boat-. And it still had the plastic seat covers on it with a diesel engine, wood grain dash. Oh lord.
I actually kinda wanted it, but my dad gave it to someone else.

Sephex
08-21-2013, 09:24 PM
I am visiting my parents and realized I left my cell phone in my car right when I saw this thread, so I snapped this picture real quick. Anyway, my car is a 2012 Dodge Avenger. I got it at the beginning of February this year. I am very happy with it so far and it is perfect for my tastes.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/caar_zps0d29dc66.png

I am not a car guy, so if I were to have a dream car, I would get one that would somehow go absurdly fast, but run on some technology that doesn't exist so I never have to get gas again. Yeah, I know. Sucky description, but I just don't get car culture.

Denmark
08-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I drive a 2011 Honda Civic. It's red.

I used to drive a gold 2001 Honda Odyssey. Minivan stylin' /smug

Formalhaut
08-21-2013, 09:55 PM

Easy tiger.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-22-2013, 12:34 AM

Easy tiger.

Boys, BOYS. /swoons

Formalhaut
08-22-2013, 12:35 AM

Easy tiger.

Boys, BOYS. /swoons

You've got men and women clamouring for you here Joe Byran. ;)

fire_of_avalon
08-22-2013, 03:47 AM
I don't really care about cars, but sometimes I get irrationally angry that Spuuky's younger brother is going to inherit their grandmother's Plymouth Duster. You know the little old lady who has a mint condition car she has driven only to church and back for the last fifty years? Yeah, that's Spuuky's grandmother.
This is awesome because Dusters are awesome. Duster's are a compact daughter car of the Valiant and do you know who the Duster's slightly wilder, slightly larger sister is? The Barracuda. Which is pretty cool.

Only Calliope has picked a worthwhile dream car and I am saddened by the rest of you. (I don't count sharky's because I doubt it's street legal, so there!) So I will tell you about my dream car.

My dream car is the 1969 Camaro ZL1.
http://www.zorly.com/images_camaro/09-06-08/1969%20Chevrolet%20Camaro%20ZL-1%20-%20firgencamaro.jpg

The ZL1 contained parts that were never meant for a full-production street-legal Camaro. The ZL1 engine was a racing engine and the first of it's kind with an all aluminum block and aluminum heads. Which means that, compared to its iron competitors, the ZL1 engine was a 427 big block (which means greater stroke & bore [that's what she said] which means a higher compression ratio which means which... well, you get the picture right?) but weighed about as much as a 327 small block. So the car produced more power with less weight. Which again... vroom vroom vroom.

Only 69 were produced because they were so expensive. A lot of them ended up getting gutted and having pieces put into other cars, like Corvettes (ugh.) Which is sad. It's like taking an endangered species, chopping it up and using the parts to make Halloween costumes for hipsters. It's the worst.

But I think the best part, the part of the ZL1 I love the most, is the fact that it was essentially produced by racers and dealers. People who loved cars, worked on cars, sold cars. People who experienced cars in a way that was wholly different from a marketing standpoint.

But don't take my word for it, look at this. Look at this glooorious creation. (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/21/barrett-jackson-2012-1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1/)

I love it. I love it I love it and the rest of you, with notable exceptions, are wussies

Flaming Ice
08-22-2013, 04:35 AM
I don't really understand why anyone would ever buy an actual new car. It's just sooooooo much less cost effective.

????

Someone has to buy a new car in order for someone to get a used car...........

http://worldcarslist.com/images/batmobile/batmobile-noname/batmobile-noname-03.jpg

Spuuky
08-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Someone has to buy a new car in order for someone to get a used car...........
Yes? I'm not struggling to understand how used cars come to exist? Someone has to waste their money on lottery tickets for the state to steal their income that way, too.

Crop
08-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Dream car? Delorean of course!

Jowy
08-22-2013, 08:05 AM
http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2011-specialized-allez-elite-road-bike.jpg

darker shade of blue and with black grip tape on the handlebars, but that's essentially it. I have a forest green '03 Cavalier that I drive to Target about once a month too.

LocoColt04
08-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Aw man, I've got a yellow Specialized 18-speed!!

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I intend to get myself a Mercian made at some point. British Racing Green, of course, with some nice honey bars. Mmm. Gorgeous.

Jowy turned it into bikes first.

Jiro
08-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I still drive that same ol' Lancer. Poor Ellie's not doing so crash hot lately though so it might be time for a change.

Slothy
08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Only Calliope has picked a worthwhile dream car and I am saddened by the rest of you. (I don't count sharky's because I doubt it's street legal, so there!) So I will tell you about my dream car.

While I commend you on your taste (I'd probably take any first gen Camaro, but the ZL1 is definitely the bees knees), I fail to see how a Nissan GT-R or an F1 car don't qualify as worthwhile dream cars. :colbert:

Denmark
08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
god dammit eric you're such a fucking hipster

Cuchulainn
08-22-2013, 02:08 PM
I Thought it was pretty much universally understood that American built cars were all complete garbage. Why are people listing them here. I am 12 years old and what is this.

Slothy
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
I Thought it was pretty much universally understood that American built cars were all complete garbage. Why are people listing them here. I am 12 years old and what is this.

You're thinking of American made cars post-1970. And you might also be confused and thinking of British built cars.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Not even a good jab, what with the existence of Aston Martin. :roll2

Americans make 'em big; Europeans make 'em beautiful. Dem's da rules.

I hate to be Nick Cage, but my god, the Shelby Mustang GT500. Unf. A more realistic dream car goal of mine is the Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5. One day...

Cuchulainn
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM

You're thinking of American made cars post-1970. And you might also be confused and thinking of British built cars.

Any British car made in the 70s & 80s can and will kill you, this is true, but be that as it may they still had some shining nuggets. However literally every American built car is big, cheap & ugly.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Only Calliope has picked a worthwhile dream car and I am saddened by the rest of you. (I don't count sharky's because I doubt it's street legal, so there!)

Face it lady, while it was technically street legal, that zl1 was a race car. It used the V8 developed for the Can-Am series and professional drag racing. Plus no where did the original poster say it had to be street legal, that was your random idea. Nevertheless!

Like most FIA sanctioned racing, Ford was required to make road going/street legal versions of their GT40. So I'll just make it this. It's a mark three road version GT40, with turn signals and all that garbage. I'd be happy with any of them. ;)

http://aarontheleong.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/ford-gt40.jpg

sharkythesharkdogg
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM

Any British car made in the 70s & 80s can and will kill you, this is true, but be that as it may they still had some shining nuggets. However literally every American built car is big, cheap & ugly.

Some random specialist cars like the TMC Costin aside (and I'd still rather have a Caterham), I'm pretty sure American cars are better than anything Ireland has managed to come up with. ;)

There's good and bad everywhere. Saying one country has all bad cars, or that one country makes no bad cars is just silly. Even individual manufacturers have some cars that are crap and others that are gold. Especially since manufacturing is now basically global, and almost no major car company offers a car with all components made, assembled, and then sold in one individual country.

Slothy
08-22-2013, 03:54 PM
There's good and bad everywhere. Saying one country has all bad cars, or that one country makes no bad cars is just silly. Even individual manufacturers have some cars that are crap and others that are gold. Especially since manufacturing is now basically global, and almost no major car company offers a car with all components made, assembled, and then sold in one individual country.

God damn it Sharky, where's the fun of being reasonable instead of making fun of British cars for their reputation for horrid reliability?

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I honestly didn't know British cars had that reputation. xD

Cuchulainn
08-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Some random specialist cars like the TMC Costin aside (and I'd still rather have a Caterham), I'm pretty sure American cars are better than anything Ireland has managed to come up with. ;)

Ireland is a country of 3 million odd people who doesn't even pretend to give a smurf about the automobile industry. The things we DO show interest in (horse racing/breeding, whiskey manufacture, beer & stout manufacture, poetry, writing etc) we're famous the world over for. The US is a country of 190,454,432,543,121 that guzzles petrol and oil like it's bottled water, holds thousands of motorsport events a year & claims a nation of petrolheads. You'll appreciate the difference I'm sure.

The ones made in the 70s & 80s were pretty much all complete garbage.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM
70s and 80s, though, innit? :gator:

Spuuky
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't understand this Euro-vs-USA car rivalry going on here, given that the best cars are from Asia?

sharkythesharkdogg
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Ireland is a country of 3 million odd people who doesn't even pretend to give a smurf about the automobile industry. The things we DO show interest in (horse racing/breeding, whiskey manufacture, beer & stout manufacture, poetry, writing etc) we're famous the world over for. The US is a country of 190,454,432,543,121 that guzzles petrol and oil like it's bottled water, holds thousands of motorsport events a year & claims a nation of petrolheads. You'll appreciate the difference I'm sure.

Considering you have created some fine drivers, a fair portion of your people depend on automobiles, Ireland holds it's own fair share of motorsports (http://www.motorsportireland.com/), and that you have had the likes of Ford and some British manufacturers set up plants in Ireland over the years, no, I don't. Saying your country doesn't show an interest is silly, and I think your point falls soundly on it face.

I've either met and chatted online or in person with many Irish petrolheads. You guys love some rally. I do too.

Cuchulainn
08-22-2013, 05:01 PM
70s and 80s, though, innit? :gator:

Yeah waddayagonnado.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Do you know the biggest sporting event in the South West?

Pushing a 9lb cheese roll down a 1:3 hill and chasing after it.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-23-2013, 06:28 PM
http://image.importtuner.com/f/features/impp_1001_1974_mazda_rx_4/25890026/impp_1001_07_o%2B1974_mazda_rx_4%2Bleft_side_view.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/mazda-rx-4.jpg

:D!!!

noxious.sunshine
08-23-2013, 06:41 PM

The ones made in the 70s & 80s were pretty much all complete garbage.

You forgot about potatoes, man.

THIS. Is my dream car:

Hahahahaha. How Redneck of me! ^-^

Also: Ford FTW.

Lionblade
08-24-2013, 03:18 AM
I am not a car guy, so if I were to have a dream car, I would get one that would somehow go absurdly fast, but run on some technology that doesn't exist so I never have to get gas again. Yeah, I know. Sucky description, but I just don't get car culture.

That, my friend, is why you have an Avenger.

Considering you have created some fine drivers, a fair portion of your people depend on automobiles, Ireland holds it's own fair share of motorsports (http://www.motorsportireland.com/), and that you have had the likes of Ford and some British manufacturers set up plants in Ireland over the years, no, I don't. Saying your country doesn't show an interest is silly, and I think your point falls soundly on it face.

I've either met and chatted online or in person with many Irish petrolheads. You guys love some rally. I do too.

Irishmen are like runners. How do you know someone's a runner? They'll bloody tell you.

http://i.imgur.com/XtonN2K.gif

That aside, as far as rally goes - if you want to win, employ a Finn.

----

And to the actual point of this thread...I'm a huge petrolhead.

What I learned on:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Lionblade/n632206591_1572026_2230041.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lionblade/media/n632206591_1572026_2230041.jpg.html)

What I drive now:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8369337320_9107bce1e8_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vincentbalestriere/8369337320/)
IMG_1225 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vincentbalestriere/8369337320/) by Malibooya (http://www.flickr.com/people/vincentbalestriere/), on Flickr

Sephex
08-24-2013, 04:49 AM

And that, my friend, is why I have good gas mileage instead of a car with a pretty looking body and that's it. :) Again, it suits my tastes. A car is a tool. Not a toy.

Mo-Nercy
08-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I drive a 2007 Toyota Corolla hatch (known as the Auris elsewhere).

Just got a new cat-back exhaust on it and considering a cold air intake, maybe a piggyback ECU...
I haven't really got a solid plan for modifying this car because I wouldn't mind trading up to the a Golf GTI, Megane RS, Focus ST (I like hatches :D)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/DSC_9555.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/monercy/media/DSC_9555.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/DSC_9610.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/monercy/media/DSC_9610.jpg.html)

Lionblade
08-24-2013, 04:53 PM
And that, my friend, is why I have good gas mileage instead of a car with a pretty looking body and that's it. :) Again, it suits my tastes. A car is a tool. Not a toy.

My car looks good, is a ball to drive in the mountains (5 speed manual), I can throw sheetrock in the hatch, and I get 30 MPG all day. I never understood why so many Americans compromise and get big, slow sedans. Unless you're constantly carrying 3+ people...in which case, you'll also be carrying stuff. So a wagon would be better.

My car is by no means a toy. I bought it flat out, and it does its economical job. I just don't see why I have to drive something boring to achieve the same ends.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Corolla hatch (known as the Auris elsewhere).

Just got a new cat-back exhaust on it and considering a cold air intake, maybe a piggyback ECU...
I haven't really got a solid plan for modifying this car because I wouldn't mind trading up to the a Golf GTI, Megane RS, Focus ST (I like hatches :D)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/DSC_9555.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/monercy/media/DSC_9555.jpg.html)

Looks nicer than the US spec Corolla. Here they call the Corolla hatchback the Matrix, but I rarely see any. If the interior was suited to someone of my stature, I might have gotten one (my old man has an '04 Corolla...and my head was smushed against the ceiling. No bueno). That 1.8L he has is bulletproof - what's in yours?

Sephex
08-24-2013, 06:41 PM
It. Suits. My. Tastes. I don't see why this is a hard concept to grasp.

Not to sound like a jerk, but that's why I pointed out that I am not a car guy. You can give me all the stats about what you drive and why it is cool, but I am just not going to care, nor will I be impressed. If you like it, that's cool. I just view cars in a different light, and there is no need to be a snob about it.

Lionblade
08-24-2013, 06:57 PM
It. Suits. My. Tastes. I don't see why this is a hard concept to grasp.

Not to sound like a jerk, but that's why I pointed out that I am not a car guy. You can give me all the stats about what you drive and why it is cool, but I am just not going to care, nor will I be impressed. If you like it, that's cool. I just view cars in a different light, and there is no need to be a snob about it.

If you think I'm a snob, you should wander over to a few car forums...

There's a person to suit every car, of course. I just don't get the Avenger. I haven't found anything remarkable or likable about it. If a car's just a tool for you, I understand...but then why wouldn't you have something proven and ultra-reliable? The Avenger's DNA is a Sebring, which was hopeless even by Chrysler's standards. That's what I don't get.

If you like how it looks, then yeah, cool, whatever. But this is a car thread, after all, and you will draw some fire from people like me.

Sephex
08-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Hence, why I don't get car culture. It's like getting mad about things people eat and---OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD: Quina's Kitchen (http://home.eyesonff.com/quinas-kitchen/)

sharkythesharkdogg
08-24-2013, 11:43 PM

My vote goes for the Focus. I used to respect VWs a lot more than I do now.

EDIT: There's been some hurt feelings about cars, so I'd like to add that I don't mean that to insult any VW owners. If it does, I'm sorry. Just personal opinion from experience working on them and owning them.

fire_of_avalon
08-25-2013, 01:21 AM

While I commend you on your taste (I'd probably take any first gen Camaro, but the ZL1 is definitely the bees knees), I fail to see how a Nissan GT-R or an F1 car don't qualify as worthwhile dream cars. :colbert:
The ZL1, being a 69, qualifies as first gen, but I know what you mean.

And because I'm being a brat and MINE IS SEXIER. Also I don't know much about imports. Also 2) I don't really care about open-wheel racing, though I can respect the engineering F1.

Not even a good jab, what with the existence of Aston Martin. :roll2

Americans make 'em big; Europeans make 'em beautiful. Dem's da rules.

I hate to be Nick Cage, but my god, the Shelby Mustang GT500. Unf. A more realistic dream car goal of mine is the Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5. One day...
I often wonder if the 67 GT500 would be as much loved and known had it not been for the movie. The really interesting thing about that year is that Shelby American didn't really have a lot of involvement with those models, though they carried the Shelby name. The 67 is much more aesthetically pleasing to me than later years, though.

Only Calliope has picked a worthwhile dream car and I am saddened by the rest of you. (I don't count sharky's because I doubt it's street legal, so there!)

Face it lady, while it was technically street legal, that zl1 was a race car. It used the V8 developed for the Can-Am series and professional drag racing. Plus no where did the original poster say it had to be street legal, that was your random idea. Nevertheless!

Like most FIA sanctioned racing, Ford was required to make road going/street legal versions of their GT40. So I'll just make it this. It's a mark three road version GT40, with turn signals and all that garbage. I'd be happy with any of them. ;)

http://aarontheleong.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/ford-gt40.jpg
BASELESS REASONS TO MAKE MY SELECTION SUPERIOR USURPED. WE AIN'T FRIENS NO MO.

@Lion-O Based on your opinion you could just replace the proper noun "Avenger" with the regular noun "sedan." Nothing wrong with sedans for busy people who need to compromise space and gas mileage. Having driven an Avenger as a rental it's a decent way to get from here to there, and the trunk can hold a full size transmission and bellhousing for a 2003 Subaru Outback. :smash:

Slothy
08-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I know the ZL1 is a first gen, I just worded that sentence poorly. I'd settle for any first gen, but the ZL1 would definitely be top of the list were money no object.

Sadly, I don't really like any Camaro generation after that except the current ones. I'm sure a lot of them are fine under the hood, but they're all ugly as sin compared to the ones from the sixties.

Cuchulainn
08-25-2013, 02:14 AM
Americans. Stop saying Sedans. It's saloons. Thank you.

Sephex
08-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Okay, you guys sold me on car culture. Here is my next vehicle:

http://i.imgur.com/tPcf20v.jpg

fire_of_avalon
08-25-2013, 02:54 AM
Ahahaha I would love to have my face on my car. With explosions.

Mo-Nercy
08-25-2013, 03:34 AM

Looks nicer than the US spec Corolla. Here they call the Corolla hatchback the Matrix, but I rarely see any. If the interior was suited to someone of my stature, I might have gotten one (my old man has an '04 Corolla...and my head was smushed against the ceiling. No bueno). That 1.8L he has is bulletproof - what's in yours?
Headroom's fine (for me @ 5'9"), though legroom is bit of a compromise at the back.
I stick by hatches though. I reckon they the ultimate car with regard to practicality, performance, price and most importantly - parking.

Oh, and yes, 1.8L. Sounds great with the new cat-back. Has already annoyed many a neighbour, but I don't understand what their problem is - I turned up the music to drown out the exhaust. :p

My vote goes for the Focus. I used to respect VWs a lot more than I do now.

EDIT: There's been some hurt feelings about cars, so I'd like to add that I don't mean that to insult any VW owners. If it does, I'm sorry. Just personal opinion from experience working on them and owning them.
I wasn't really considering the GTI until I drove a friend's one. To me, it had looked like the last three generations of the Golf GTI featured nothing but minor improvements with no innovation.

I do love the Megane though. It looks hot. And you don't see many around here, unlike the GTI.
But the Focus ST comes with the practicality of 5 doors.

Lionblade
08-25-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm 6'1. Fitting into the Corolla was...difficult. It also means I can never have a Miata.

No comment on the Megane, we don't have Renaults here. But based on my experiences with the MS3...

If you have to design some system that electronically limits power in certain gears, then your car has too much power. $26K American buys you a pretty nice Focus ST, but 28K will buy you a much more useful WRX. The regular MK3 Focus is pretty nice, though.

GTIs are whatever. They all seemed needlessly understated to me. Nothing wrong with them, but I can't say they're the least bit appealing.

Mo-Nercy
08-25-2013, 01:43 PM
If you have to design some system that electronically limits power in certain gears, then your car has too much power. $26K American buys you a pretty nice Focus ST, but 28K will buy you a much more useful WRX. The regular MK3 Focus is pretty nice, though.

GTIs are whatever. They all seemed needlessly understated to me. Nothing wrong with them, but I can't say they're the least bit appealing.
Good point on the Focus. Potentially more tuning options with a WRX too. Food for thought.. xD

sharkythesharkdogg
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm 6'1. Fitting into the Corolla was...difficult. It also means I can never have a Miata.

It depends on torso to leg ratio. I have a friend who is 6'3", and owns a Miata.

With a "foamectomy" of the seat, he now fits comfortably. I'm 5'11" (and a little) and I have to move the seat up a notch in his now. Some times we move the seat back to different mounting points. For people with just a little more torso, we've modified the seat rails to drop the seat down. You can get about 2-3 inches with the right modification.

I've found that if some one is way more leg than torso, or way more torso than leg, it makes it harder for that to work however. Also, if you don't like a more upright seating position, then it's not going to be a good option.

Lionblade
08-25-2013, 04:31 PM

It depends on torso to leg ratio. I have a friend who is 6'3", and owns a Miata.

With a "foamectomy" of the seat, he now fits comfortably. I'm 5'11" (and a little) and I have to move the seat up a notch in his now. Some times we move the seat back to different mounting points. For people with just a little more torso, we've modified the seat rails to drop the seat down. You can get about 2-3 inches with the right modification.

I've found that if some one is way more leg than torso, or way more torso than leg, it makes it harder for that to work however. Also, if you don't like a more upright seating position, then it's not going to be a good option.

I'm very "leggy," I suppose that'd be a better trait if I was a woman (hello, Italian model!). I couldn't fit into an NB or NC Miata, but another guy I know who's the same height has no trouble. He's far more torso-biased than I am.

I find it difficult to fit into most Asian cars, since I have wide hips, as well. The only bucket seat I felt at home in was the Recaros in an EvoIX.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Good point on the Focus. Potentially more tuning options with a WRX too. Food for thought.. xD

I'd imagine tuning options are pretty close. There's a lot out there for both cars. The Mazda Speed3 is another great hothatch. I like FWD hatches for buzzing around, and daily driving, I just don't enjoy the torque steer of powerful front wheel drive when I'm really trying to push it.

Lionblade
08-25-2013, 07:26 PM

I'd imagine tuning options are pretty close. There's a lot out there for both cars. The Mazda Speed3 is another great hothatch. I like FWD hatches for buzzing around, and daily driving, I just don't enjoy the torque steer of powerful front wheel drive when I'm really trying to push it.

Ayup. That's why I like the old SVT Focus so much.

Still, if I was going to spend mid twenties on a new car...I'd be very tempted by the FRS/GT86.

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2013, 10:10 PM
My current car is a white 1999 Ford Explorer and her name is Zelda. She's old and has tons of miles on her, but she's still going strong. I love her to death, especially with her wonderful audio system. :D

My dream car is a 1971 Hemi 'Cuda and I would gladly kill any and all of you to own one.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
BASELESS REASONS TO MAKE MY SELECTION SUPERIOR USURPED. WE AIN'T FRIENS NO MO.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5a3iiz7C51qg19g3o1_500.gif

Vasher
08-27-2013, 04:01 PM
My daily driver is a '12 AMG C63 coupe. I had the pleasure of picking her up via Euro Delivery, so she was properly broken in on the autobahn.

Her she is as she pulled out at MBZ Sindelfingen.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/VashersAutoBucket/My%20C63/IMG_2869.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/VashersAutoBucket/media/My%20C63/IMG_2869.jpg.html)

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/VashersAutoBucket/My%20C63/IMG_c632870.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/VashersAutoBucket/media/My%20C63/IMG_c632870.jpg.html)

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/VashersAutoBucket/My%20C63/IMG_2960.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/VashersAutoBucket/media/My%20C63/IMG_2960.jpg.html)

Below the castle ruins of Hohengeroldseck.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/VashersAutoBucket/My%20C63/IMG_c633177.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/VashersAutoBucket/media/My%20C63/IMG_c633177.jpg.html)

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/VashersAutoBucket/My%20C63/f01e3ca7-584b-4def-95a6-e158e541d1a9_zps11e792e7.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/VashersAutoBucket/media/My%20C63/f01e3ca7-584b-4def-95a6-e158e541d1a9_zps11e792e7.jpg.html)

Her engine was hand built by a single AMG master engineer. His name is on an engine plaque.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/VashersAutoBucket/My%20C63/image.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/VashersAutoBucket/media/My%20C63/image.jpg.html)

I don't name my cars, but I've gotten really attached to this one. Never going to sell it. Also, the M156 is kinda the end of an era for the big N/A engines (everything is going FI).

I also have;

'11 G37S coupe. My daily before the AMG. Can't bring myself to get rid of her yet. My youngest brother and one of my wife's cousin's borrow it from time to time, other than that it does't get driven. Not sure yet if I want to throw a GTM TT in it to make it fun again, or get rid of it.

'12 4 door RR Evoque. Wife's car.
'06 Xterra for taking the dogs to the groomers and small camping trips.
'06 F250 4x4 Crew cab turbo diesel. Had it for towing, but sold the boat, so it's going to go to make room for something else.

And I have a few "garage queens".

Bunny
08-27-2013, 04:19 PM
I have a 2000 Saturn LS1. It is falling apart.

Lionblade
08-27-2013, 06:10 PM
My daily driver is a '12 AMG C63 coupe. I had the pleasure of picking her up via Euro Delivery, so she was properly broken in on the autobahn.

I also have;

'11 G37S coupe. My daily before the AMG. Can't bring myself to get rid of her yet. My youngest brother and one of my wife's cousin's borrow it from time to time, other than that it does't get driven. Not sure yet if I want to throw a GTM TT in it to make it fun again, or get rid of it.

'12 4 door RR Evoque. Wife's car.
'06 Xterra for taking the dogs to the groomers and small camping trips.
'06 F250 4x4 Crew cab turbo diesel. Had it for towing, but sold the boat, so it's going to go to make room for something else.

And I have a few "garage queens".

You sir, have quite good taste.

Saturn had such an unfortunate fate, really. It's sad that GM deliberately ran the division into the ground, just so they'd stop competing with Chevrolet. Saturn had the best looking variants at the end of its life (the Aura and Sky come to mind), plus the Astra really should have been a hit.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-28-2013, 03:43 AM

Well, I guess it is a 12-13 year old car. That's the time when people decide if they're going to drive something into the ground, or double down and do a bunch of bigger maintenance items.

They're actually okay to work on, and make reliable daily driver cars. The catch is that with Saturn gone, certain parts are becoming rare and expensive because no one makes them. Fixing it up, or doing maintenance might be prohibitively expensive compared to getting into another used car in better condition. It depends on how bad the condition is.

The money you spend on maintenance might go a long way towards another used car. :shrug:

Vasher does have some nice vehicles. AMG machines are pretty neat pieces of engineering.

~*~Celes~*~
08-30-2013, 05:46 AM
we had this: http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/07/19/13/33/1996_ford_taurus_4_dr_gl_sedan-pic-5401975903990809089.jpeg (not our car but same color and everything) 1996 Ford Taurus LX.

As of today, we have this: http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/30/2009dodgejourneywa.jpg (also not our car, but it's the same color and everything)

2009 Dodge Journey. It's so awesome :love: