PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Childhood Story

Shorty
08-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Where The Wild Things Are is the very first that comes to mind. Jack and the Beanstalk would be second. My dad would do all sorts of crazy awesome voices, noises, expressions and hand gestures while he was telling stories to make them more lively and interactive.

What were your favorite childhood stories?

Denmark
08-22-2013, 08:45 PM
The Lion King

IT COUNTS OKAY

Scotty_ffgamer
08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Where the Wild Things Are is magical. I remember enjoying Strega Nona (I think that was the name) a lot as a kid.

Shlup
08-23-2013, 12:11 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41exOR97YJL._SL500_.jpg

Yes, I bought a copy for my daughter.

Shorty
08-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Oh my god, we had that story.

Also, The Velveteen Rabbit.

Calliope
08-23-2013, 01:10 AM

My favourite book of fairytales is illustrated by Barbara C Freeman. My favourite story is One Eye, Two Eyes & Three Eyes, but here is a picture of her Thumbelina:

Quentin Blake, The Berenstains, Roald Dahl, Margaret & H.A. Rey, Theodore Geisel, Enid Blyton, Kathryn Kenny, Eric Carle, Maurice Sendak and Bill Peet all deserve mention. I've read and loved countless classics, particularly Heidi and Black Beauty, but as I get older I find my interest in YA fiction has waned, but my love of children's picture books is just as strong as it has always been. I regularly take picture books home from the library and enjoy studying how expressive and alive a character can be rendered in just a few strokes.

My favourite modern children's authors and illustrators include Mo Willems, Jon Klassen, Shelley Jackson, Bob Shea, David Shannon, Suzy Lee, Graeme Base and Sarah Verroken. Love your kids. Teach them to read.

noxious.sunshine
08-23-2013, 06:20 PM
The Monster At The End Of This Book featuring Grover.
The Puffalumps Bedtime Stories or whatever it was called (I recently found my battered and worn copy of it)
Corduroy
Wind in the Willows (or whatever that book was called)

& all the stories my dad would make up when I went with him in the truck.

Jinx
08-23-2013, 07:37 PM

I can't tell you how many times I demanded this be read to me when I was a kid. My favourite part was always when he swallowed the spoon and it got stuck in his throat sideways. Oh, Morris, you silly moose!

Rantz
08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
There's plenty worth a mention but the book that really made me realise, around the age of five or six, that I loved the fuck out of reading was Roald Dahl's The Witches.

noxious.sunshine
08-23-2013, 08:02 PM
I used to like reading the Llama Llama books to my kids at school..

Llama, Llama, Mad At Mama
Llama, Llama, Red Pajama

and the Bear books!
Bear Snores On
Bear Feels Sick

etc

And The Giving Tree (makes me sniffle quite a bit) - I love Shel Silverstein.
and The Lorax
and Oh! The Places You'll Go!

Night Fury
08-24-2013, 02:01 PM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101018124137/childrensbooks/images/2/25/The_Owl_who_was_afraid_of_the_Dark.jpg

fire_of_avalon
08-25-2013, 03:11 AM
As far as books for young children go, I loved this book I had about Mickey and Minnie Mouse going on a picnic. Also Henry & Mudge! I loved all the Henry & Mudge stories. I think that's probably where my love of Mastiffs began. And Dr. Seuss; I had a particular love for The Foot Book. And The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see? When I was older I loved Charlotte's Web, Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys and the Babysitter's Club books.

I wish I read as much as I did when I was a kid.

Spooniest
08-25-2013, 03:27 AM

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."