PDA

View Full Version : Canned Goodies

Chris
08-23-2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.canadiangrocer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screen-shot-2013-04-17-at-11.57.53-AM.png

Canned Tuna is GODLY! Absolutely delicious. So is canned pastas.

Mirage
08-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Canned pasta is terrible because all the pasta is so soft that it falls apart if you just look at it the wrong way.

Canned tuna is ok, but nowhere near as fantastic as tuna is when used for sushi.

Spuuky
08-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Everything is much worse served out of a can, and there aren't exceptions. Canned tuna and pasta are not exceptions to the "no exceptions" rule.

But canned vegetables are still typically a little better than frozen vegetables, so at least they've got that.

Mirage
08-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Canned tomatoes are usually better than fresh tomatoes grown up here in norway, actually. Just because our climate isn't very friendly for tomatoes.

Spuuky
08-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Canned tomatoes are usually better than fresh tomatoes grown up here in norway, actually. Just because our climate isn't very friendly for tomatoes.OK, I'll concede that point. I should have specified places with the abilities to grow their own crops reasonably well, or the infrastructure to have them shipped fast enough from places that grow it well.

Although I'm surprise you can't just get good Italian tomatoes or something in Norway, it doesn't seem that far to ship them, even if it wouldn't be as good as locally-grown ones in a place that can support them.

Mirage
08-23-2013, 11:17 PM
We can. I'm just saying. I think they're more expensive though. What I generally do is buy some canned tomatoes and blend them with a few fresh imported tomatoes just to get back a good portion of the nicer taste.

Miriel
08-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Canned tomato products (tomato paste, tomato puree, etc) and canned Mexican products (picked carrots/jalapeno, refried beans, chiles in adobo, etc) are really the only things I ever use in cooking that comes in cans.

Shorty
08-24-2013, 12:10 AM
http://www.versusbattle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/spaghettios.jpg

Spaghettios are the only canned pasta I will eat.

I'll eat canned tuna (properly made into a tuna sandwich with mayo and sweet relish), pork and beans, sweet corn and boston baked beans. Also, I'm not very fond of canned soups but I looove Campbell's bean and bacon and I'm okay with chicken noodle.

Flaming Ice
08-24-2013, 03:01 AM
I really like fresh stuff.......but I use canned tomatoes (but canned products aren't supposed to be as good for you). Sometimes tuna too because I don't really like fresh fish.

Mirage
08-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Canned products are just heated and cooled and heated. They're not any less good for you than the fresh tomatoes you could use in a tomato sauce. The taste and texture isn't as nice, of course, but that's a different matter.

Inferno
08-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Canned tuna is good imo, if you add a lot of mayonnaise.
One thing I know exists but I've never seen is 47207.
Can someone confirm it tastes like trout ?

noxious.sunshine
08-27-2013, 04:11 AM
My dad eats canned ravioli. And canned sardines. Gag me.

I use whole canned tomatoes for macaroni & tomatoes.

And I use canned tomato sauce & paste for spaghetti.

My daughter and I will split a can of soup sometimes.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-27-2013, 05:02 AM
I used canned tomato sauce, tomato paste in spaghetti.

I also use canned beans with rice and tacos.

That's about it.

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2013, 10:23 PM
There's a difference in the canned foods you buy and the canned foods you make, imho.

Also, I used to love Chef Boyardee ravioli and now I hate them. I don't each much out of a can besides quick vegetables, tuna and soup.

And Vienna Sausages.

Quindiana Jones
09-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Mackerel in tomato sauce. Gorgeous.

Araciel
09-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Beans - so long as I wash them - much easier than fresh.

Most vegetables in a can taste better than frozen because there's more sodium. When I did eat corn, canned corn was soooo good.

I always loved chef boyardee and could stand zoodles and shit.

I loved campbell's soups too - sooo good.

Tomato paste and pre-made pizza sauce are pretty good, but I would die before I used pasta sauce from a can.

noxious.sunshine
09-02-2013, 10:13 PM
My boyfriend just bought Spicy SPAM.

I think I'm grossed out, but I can't be sure.

Chris
09-03-2013, 08:03 PM
what are you talking about , spam is freakin delicious. nothing like a sperm sandwich

noxious.sunshine
09-03-2013, 08:30 PM
You probably like Vienna Sausages too, huh?

fire_of_avalon
09-08-2013, 11:06 PM
I won't have you disparaging Peckers n Lips sausages, ma'am.

Jiro
09-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I rely on canned goods a fair bit because ugh effort. Can't eat baked beans or tinned spaghetti warm though. Nope. Cold or room temperature only. Other stuff might be different, I don't even remember what else comes in cans, all I eat are beans.

*toot toot*

Cloudane
09-11-2013, 09:58 PM
SPAM is awesome. Well, fried it is anyway. Spam sammiches in white bread = food of the gods

yukina
09-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I used to eat canned tuna everyday because it's so good.
I try not to eat too much canned shizz now though. I think I already got a lifetime supply of preservatives :))

noxious.sunshine
09-12-2013, 07:48 PM
NO.

Fried bologna or GTFO .

seriously. I still hate spam and Vienna sausages. just. No. NO DAMN YOU.

I'll buy black beans in a can. But I've bean just buying them dried lately cuz it's cheaper by far. I'm also really baller at making them so..... There's that.

Shiny
09-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Canned and goodies is an oxymoron. While I will eat most canned foods, I can generally say they are better fresh. The only thing I can't say that for is cream o' corn which is definitely better out of a can.

Hollycat
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
The only thing that comes in a can that deserves to be eaten in olives.

Jess
09-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Baked beans are the best thing in a can.

We always have cans or jars of vegetables in the house, too. Sweet corn, carrots and asparagus.

I also actually prefer pineapple out of a can instead of fresh.

Loony BoB
09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Some veg, some soup, some salmon/tuna and I think a little bit of fruit (pear halves, pineapple rings, etc) and even a curry are the kind of things that I'll buy canned.

Pasta? Urgh, canned pasta is generally terrible, although it can still be alright for certain things. Canned macaroni cheese may be the worst thing I've ever eaten out of a tin.

Freya
09-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Canned veggies are awesome cause I'm poor and lazy for fresh foods!

And soups. Soups are awesome too!