PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Park: Book vs. Movie

Forsaken Lover
08-26-2013, 08:52 AM
There was a Jurassic Park thread elsewhere with people questioning why Jurassic Park (the fictional island attraction) was abandoned. It was pointed out to the questioning party that, in the book, Jurassic Park was destroyed and for damn good reason. FOr one thing, the death toll was a lot bigger than in the film. Also the dinosaurs were escaping the island in droves.

Anyway, it got me thinking about this topic.

Now I re-read the book about once a year. I love it. It has been many years since I watched the movie though. I still don't hesitate to say I liked the book a lot more. I remember the movie well enough and I remember how it, being an adaptation, has to give you the Cliff Notes version of all the themes and ideas from the source material. It also did little things that kinda irk me, like having Sam Jackson mention the lysine deficiency. WHy did he mention something that will literally never be discussed again? Because it was in the book and they wanted to be "faithful" in the lipservice sort of way.

Possibly a better example of my earlier criticism though is the scene where Sam Neil says the dinos are breeding. Now this is a HUGE plot point in the bok, what with the tracking system failing and all the talk about Dr. Wu's method of engineering the dinosaurs, and it really hammers home how the Park was doomed from the beginning. This also leads into the whole raptor nest part, as well as the bit about dinosaurs escaping to the mainland and surviving there because they can now breed.
In the movie though....what does this scene really contribute? Nothing. There are still only a handful of raptors, one Rex, and that's it. It's just kinda there.

The first JP movie is by no means BAD...it's just not as interesting to me so I don't see a lot of value in revisiting it.

So that's my views. How about you all? Which do you prefer and why?

Pike
08-26-2013, 10:12 AM
At least Jurassic Park was still a great movie; what really hurts is being a "Timeline" fan. :(

Del Murder
08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
This was actually a tough choice for me. JP is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time...but it is my absolute favorite book of all time. So that gave it the edge. I've seen the movie way more times than I've read the book though. Both are awesome.

Calliope
08-26-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm going to vote for the movie. I haven't read the book since I was a kid, whereas I will happily rewatch the movie and have probably done so annually. For all the inaccuracies in the movie, it also made dinosaurs engaging for a lot of people for the first time.

Chris
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Jurassic Park is my all-time favorite movie. My mom took me to see it when I was six, and I was captivated. Years later I read the book, and I couldn't believe how absolutely boring I found it. The movie is helped tremendously my its amazing score, so music can really make a huge difference. Also, I liked the characters in the movie so much more than those in the book.

Shorty
08-26-2013, 09:22 PM
At least Jurassic Park was still a great movie; what really hurts is being a "Timeline" fan. :(

Timeline was such a good book and such a terrible movie. My god. The only movie I've ever walked out on in my life.

I read Jurassic Park a hell of a long time ago and don't remember it. I've seen the movie much more, so I'm defaulting to that.

edit: I tried watching The Lost World and couldn't do it and was forced to sit through Jurassic Park 3, much to my dismay. Two thumbs down for the rest of the franchise. I haven't read the books, though, so they may be better.

Calliope
08-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Also, is this in the book?

http://smhttp.14409.nexcesscdn.net/806D5E/wordpress-L/images/ian-malcom-oil-painting-640x480.jpg

Chris
08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Sarah, I'm going down on you for hating TLW! :mad2:

Shorty
08-26-2013, 09:38 PM
I couldn't get into it!

Also, please never say that again.

Del Murder
08-27-2013, 12:01 AM
No other movies exist in the JP franchise. In fact, it's not even a franchise at all since there is only one movie. :colbert:

Shorty
08-27-2013, 12:01 AM
What? What about The Lost* World and Jurassic Park 3?

*whoops, typo

Del Murder
08-27-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't know what that is.

Shorty
08-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Surely you are feigning ignorance. :colbert:

Chris
08-27-2013, 12:06 AM
i am so disgusted by the last couple of posts

Spuuky
08-27-2013, 12:12 AM
i am so disgusted by the last couple of postsI know, can you believe people would make up fake Jurassic Park sequels?

Forsaken Lover
08-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Jurassic Park sequels?
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/JPAllen.gif