PDA

View Full Version : Punk

Spooniest
08-27-2013, 05:56 AM
2Ah1JM9mf60

What does this music mean to you?

There will be a test later, so pay attention.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Jump forward a few decades, and it helped create things like this.

xJMBxIOocok

nik0tine
08-28-2013, 05:02 AM
I used to think punk rock was awesome before I had actually been exposed to music.

To me, "punk" means a person or musical genre in bad taste, with no standards for quality or sense of decency, coupled with self confidence.

Spooniest
08-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Gee, that's funny, cuz in a lot of people's minds, it was about rebellion against a corrupt system through mercenary tactics.

Or, you know, this.

It was about learning to think for yourself, have your own sense of identity, to be who you are regardless of outside circumstances. It's something I'm very familiar with (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x-i1troSjE). Note that at 3:10 in that video, someone tells me to "Go to hell!!"

But yeah, it's just supposed to be about being an asshole...sure, whatever.

You know, Pete Townshend and the Sex Pistols were out drinking one night, and they were talking about "we love music, it's a great way to get money and chicks and drugs," and Pete Townshend got pissed off at them, because he felt they'd completely missed the point of what they were doing, and started yelling at them,

PdLIerfXuZ4
"WHO ARE YOU?"

[/diatribe]

;)

sharkythesharkdogg
08-28-2013, 06:29 PM
You know, Pete Townshend and the Sex Pistols were out drinking one night, and they were talking about "we love music, it's a great way to get money and chicks and drugs," and Pete Townshend got pissed off at them, because he felt they'd completely missed the point of what they were doing, and started yelling at them.[/CENTER]

;)

The lack of focus, having a message, or really having a cause to be so angry is one of the main reasons bands like the one I linked developed. Some of the older bands missed the original point of the punk movement/mentality and with that, their lyrics and atmosphere just became angsty and anarchistic for no other reason that to rebel for the sake of rebellion. So new, more focused bands arose.

Ironically, the band I linked is singing about the same "missing the point" issue that was taking place during their time. Somethings just don't change. :p

Spooniest
08-28-2013, 07:05 PM
70% of all people are ignorant, and 50% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :D

Parker
08-28-2013, 07:35 PM
lol i listened to nothing but the dead kennedys for several months as a teen

Spooniest
08-28-2013, 08:54 PM
I personally was big into The Ramones.

"Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat
With a baseball bat
Oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh"

nik0tine
08-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Gee, that's funny, cuz in a lot of people's minds, it was about rebellion against a corrupt system through mercenary tactics.Mercenary tactics? What? :confused:

It was about learning to think for yourself, have your own sense of identity, to be who you are regardless of outside circumstances.My experience with punk rock tells me it's more about conforming to left wing politics than it is any of those things you mentioned.

"we love music, it's a great way to get money and chicks and drugs," and Pete Townshend got pissed off at them, because he felt they'd completely missed the point of what they were doing, and started yelling at themhahaha I bought a "shirt" (two cheap pieces of fabric stitched together) at a sex pistols concert years ago for $50.

The sex pistols are hilarious. Almost all of their songs were written by the first bass player, Glenn Matlock, who they kicked out for being too poppy and mainstream and liking the Beatles. They replaced him with Sid Vicious, ceased to produce listenable music, spiraled out of control and then ceased to be a band. It's the most punk rock story ever told.

I personally was big into The Ramones.The Ramones win first prize in the "writing the same song over and over again" contest.

All of my hate aside, the Dead Kennedys are one of the best bands in all of rock music.

Spooniest
08-28-2013, 09:15 PM
[The Ramones win first prize in the "writing the same song over and over again" contest.

Gpm_88tVh0I

They were capable of playing more complicated music, they just chose not to. It was intended to be minimalistic.

NorthernChaosGod
08-29-2013, 04:18 AM
To me, punk is a lot of aggression without really knowing how to make interesting music.

Spooniest
08-29-2013, 05:27 AM
To me, punk is a lot of aggression without really knowing how to make interesting music.

You are probably right about the aggression part, but classifying one kind of music more "interesting" than another isn't really my job.

I don't know why I got this idea into my head, but I just said to myself "I'll learn it all."

So that's what I did...I've experimented with just about any western musical style a person can think of, including punk.

I think this might be why I'm crazy.