PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 2DS

comma
08-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Nintendo 2DS coming this Oct. for $129.99, plays 3DS games in 2D | Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/28/4667746/nintendo-2ds-coming-this-oct-for-129-99)

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles/1/6/1/0/9/6/0/137764056206.jpg

It's a 3DS that doesn't do 3D and doesn't fold. I'm holding out for the 1DS.

Jinx
08-28-2013, 04:42 PM
wat y

comma
08-28-2013, 04:45 PM
wat yFantastic question.

Shauna
08-28-2013, 04:45 PM
That's an ugly little thing...

Also how... holding it looks like it'd be a little uncomfortable.

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Drats, you beat me to it. :P

Here's a red version.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/970d6431868e7f061e9ac485819bad70/tumblr_ms8ywb1veH1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

Personally, I don't see the point to this if it's just going to be the same as a 3DS without the 3D compatibility, but Nintendo seems to know what they're going to do with this considering this would be the cheapest version for anyone who wants a 3DS but can't afford the full price for a 3DS or the XL.

Spuuky
08-28-2013, 04:51 PM
I've never bought a 3DS, but there are several games on it I'd really like to play. If this becomes sufficiently cheaper, then I'll consider it. I don't think $130 is low enough for me, though.

It does look really uncomfortable and awkward. Are we sure this isn't a joke?

comma
08-28-2013, 05:03 PM
This is one of the most bizarre and confusing video game related announcements I've ever witnessed.

Jinx
08-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Does anyone think this might in part be inspired by the tablet market right now?

Mirage
08-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd rather have a foldable 2DS. If dropping the 3D functionality gives me a cheaper device, I am all for it. Because to be honest, the 3D on 3DS is pretty bad, and only serves as a gimmick in the games I've played on it. I do want to keep the foldability though, as it protects the displays of the device when I am not using it, and also makes it easier to fit in small places.

Pike
08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Um, not everyone can see 3D games. Huxley, for example, can only see with one eye. In addition I know many people who experience severe headaches when playing 3D games.

Not sure why making a system so people like that can enjoy 3DS games as well (without spending as much money) is a big issue.

comma
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Getting rid of the 3D makes some sense. Sticking with the two-screens gimmick is unavoidable but still funny. Going back 30 years in handheld gaming design is what's baffling.

Also, if they're doing this simply to cater to people who can't see 3D (very small percentage of the population), then they've got less sense than I thought.

Denmark
08-28-2013, 05:17 PM
i never have the 3d turned on on my 3ds. i don't like bothering to look at my vidya straight on all the time and holding it in place. this seems like a cool thingy actually

Madame Adequate
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
As Pike says yeah, I don't gain any benefit from a 3DS due to my eyesight problems so this would be a very nice alternative, and one I would be very likely to buy. On the other hand it can't be folded and it looks kind of unwieldy so I don't know if I'd actually get one for that reason, but I appreciate Nintendo's efforts even if they weren't deliberately out to accommodate people with eyesight disabilities.

e; Comma, you really think people who can't see 3D and people who can see 3D but find it highly uncomfortable is a very small percentage of the populace? Perhaps you'd care to explain why the 3D market is failing across the board in that case? :eyebrow:

Mirage
08-28-2013, 05:23 PM
I can see 3D without problems, both on the 3DS, with active 3D glasses and passive 3D glasses, and I don't get any sort of headaches while watching, just a slight discomfort for the first couple of minutes (but only in cinemas) while my head adjusts to 3D that doesn't change perspective as I move my head, as well as having a slight 1/48 (or maybe 24)th of a second delay for the images in one my eyes.

I still don't really give a trout about it. Stereoscopic 3D is boring, perspective-correcting 3D is however awesome.

I also don't watch 3D movies with many of my friends because they use glasses, and it is really bothersome for them to put 3D glasses on top of their normal glasses, so we just go for the 2D versions instead.

ljkkjlcm9
08-28-2013, 05:24 PM
A large number of people dont care about the 3d effect. I have had one since launch and rarely turn it on. Definitely a market for that especially cheaper.

the thing that stands out to me the most is that because they got rid of the clamshell the buttons are actually moved up next to the upper screen as opposed to the lower screen.

It also seems like a step before the Wii U tablet(or something very similar) essentially becomes a standalone portable system....

THE JACKEL

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 05:25 PM
This is one of the most bizarre and confusing video game related announcements I've ever witnessed.

Mind I need to remind everyone that Nintendo does have a history of bad mistakes. Remember Virtual Boy anybody?

comma
08-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Here are some recommendations I'd make to Nintendo.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Bandai/Bandai-SharkIsland.jpg

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Bandai/Bandai-InspecteurGadget.jpg

Jinx
08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I'm all in support of taking out the 3D feature. When I get my 3DS (and you kind of have to, if you want to be able to play games that are currently out) I will rarely, if ever, use the 3D function. It hurts my eyes and makes me incredibly nauseous. Luckily you get to adjust the level of 3D.

The issue I have is the wackadoo design. I couldn't never find that comfortable to hold. Most of EoFF doesn't know this, but I have incredibly tiny hands. Like, I have to wear kid-sized gloves and mittens and wear a 4.5 ring, that's how tiny my hands are. This would be really bothersome for someone like me to hold.

Skyblade
08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
The lack of 3D is nice, if they can save enough by using regular screens.

The lack of portability seems like an issue though.

Pike
08-28-2013, 05:40 PM
wear a 4.5 ring

oh hey we have the same size hands.

(sorry, that has nothing to do with anything)

Spuuky
08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I feel like adding that I have no problem viewing 3D, it just doesn't add value to me so I'm never going to pay extra for it. That's why the 3D market is failing in my household. No idea about generally.

Pike
08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
I actually like 3D stuff in general, the reason I don't have a 3DS is because I can't justify spending the money on it when 99% of my gaming is done on my PC.

I never get to see 3D movies because my family/friends hate it and Huxley can't watch them. :(

Jinx
08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Okay, I might be dumb, but can Hux not watch them because of issues with depth perception or something? Or does 3D do funny things to his vision? I'm just curious what his reaction to 3D is. No judgment, cos I'm a puss with 3D, and can't really understand how people like it. The only 3D I can handle is Disney's 3D remakes of old animated films, because it's not even 3D.

Pike
08-28-2013, 05:56 PM
He is essentially blind in one eye so he has no depth perception.

Jinx
08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Which was my first guess! :)

comma
08-28-2013, 06:01 PM
The whole marketing behind this thing is what irritates me the most. The name! 2DS. A play on 3DS, which was a play on DS and 3D. The new and exciting thing about the 3DS is that it plays 3D games, which is obvious from its name. Now the new and exciting thing about the 2DS is that it plays 2D games? Huh? So isn't it just a new DS?

Hollycat
08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm holding out for the 1DS.

Spuuky
08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
The whole marketing behind this thing is what irritates me the most. The name! 2DS. A play on 3DS, which was a play on DS and 3D. The new and exciting thing about the 3DS is that it plays 3D games, which is obvious from its name. Now the new and exciting thing about the 2DS is that it plays 2D games? Huh? So isn't it just a new DS?So you'd like this more if it was called the DS2?

I vote for 2DS2.

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 06:06 PM
The whole marketing behind this thing is what irritates me the most. The name! 2DS. A play on 3DS, which was a play on DS and 3D. The new and exciting thing about the 3DS is that it plays 3D games, which is obvious from its name. Now the new and exciting thing about the 2DS is that it plays 2D games? Huh? So isn't it just a new DS?

It's called a 2DS because they removed the 3D, but it does play 3DS games, along with DS games. Would it be better if they called it 3DS Lite? No, because then it wouldn't make much sense if there was a 3DS that doesn't handle 3D.

comma
08-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm holding out for the 1DS.Are you going to attribute that to me, or just pretend you came up with it?

Did you just say it because it's the highest-recommended comment on the article I linked? I'm the commenter who said it, by the way, nice to meet you.

The whole marketing behind this thing is what irritates me the most. The name! 2DS. A play on 3DS, which was a play on DS and 3D. The new and exciting thing about the 3DS is that it plays 3D games, which is obvious from its name. Now the new and exciting thing about the 2DS is that it plays 2D games? Huh? So isn't it just a new DS?So you'd like this more if it was called the DS2? Yup. Or something more descriptive of its target audience. DS Toddler or DS Lazy Eye.

Bolivar
08-28-2013, 06:15 PM
If they were going with this design they should've just made a full screen tablet and slowly roll out apps like kindle/twitter, etc. and split the screen accordingly for games. This just doesn't look right.

I personally like the way nintendo has handled 3d. It's not always comfy on full blast but setting it just a tad on 3d gives you a nicer viewing angle range with just enough depth to amplify the visuals. I've found it to make first person dungeon crawlers much more immersive and a lot of the things Super Mario 3d land did with it was impressive. I know its not for everyone and it does not meaningfully add to most games but I really do enjoy the hell out of it and I think the 3d is what pushes the handheld over the top as a very sexy, cutting-edge device to own.

It's also having an amazing year for games :D

comma
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
If they were going with this design they should've just made a full screen tablet and slowly roll out apps like kindle/twitter, etc. and split the screen accordingly for games.Now there's an idea. They could have called it the S.

Hollycat
08-28-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm holding out for the 1DS.Are you going to attribute that to me, or just pretend you came up with it?

Did you just say it because it's the highest-recommended comment on the article I linked? I'm the commenter who said it, by the way, nice to meet you.

Actually I did come up with it. I didn't read the first page of posts at all because I'd already read about the device on IGN earlier today. Don't throw a fit like a little kid. If I had read your post and seen it I wouldn't have posted it. It's okay for two people to think the same thing hombre.

comma
08-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Actually I did come up with it. I didn't read the first page of posts at all because I'd already read about the device on IGN earlier today. Don't throw a fit like a little kid. If I had read your post and seen it I wouldn't have posted it. It's okay for two people to think the same thing hombre.Funny you used the same exact phrasing as I used in my comment on Polygon and in my post here, huh? Great minds.

Spuuky
08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Hey, you can never assume people have actually read your posts. It is kind of funny that literally his entire post is contained in your original post, though.

Del Murder
08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
That thing is ugly as sin.

You guys know you can turn 3D off on the regular 3DS right?

Hollycat
08-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Actually I did come up with it. I didn't read the first page of posts at all because I'd already read about the device on IGN earlier today. Don't throw a fit like a little kid. If I had read your post and seen it I wouldn't have posted it. It's okay for two people to think the same thing hombre.Funny you used the same exact phrasing as I used in my comment on Polygon and in my post here, huh? Great minds.

It's kinda funny.

comma
08-28-2013, 06:36 PM

You guys know you can turn 3D off on the regular 3DS right?They should have just taped the button down in the "off" position and sold that for $30 less.

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't get why you guys are so upset about this. You don't have to buy it, nor should you get it if you already own a 3DS. This is only just a cheap alternative design to a 3DS. It plays 3DS and DS games, but without the 3D.

Hollycat
08-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I think it's a neat idea, but I certainly won't be buying one.

To everyone getting upset, Nintendo has said the 2DS is for little children who the 3D on 3DS might hurt. They said 5, 6, and 7 year olds. It's meant to be appealing to kids. Not grown men and women.

Del Murder
08-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I don't get why you guys are so upset about this. You don't have to buy it, nor should you get it if you already own a 3DS. This is only just a cheap alternative design to a 3DS. It plays 3DS and DS games, but without the 3D.
I doubt anyone is actually upset about a 2DS announcement. The point of posting threads is to have people comment and discuss it, and that's what we're doing.

Denmark
08-28-2013, 06:58 PM

You guys know you can turn 3D off on the regular 3DS right?They should have just taped the button down in the "off" position and sold that for $30 less.

yeah this is my main qualm with the current 3DS, is that I have to pay for a feature i don't want to use. I would love what would essentially be a forward-compatible DS (or DSi or whatever) that can play 3DS games with no 3D option.

at least I got my current 3DS used (thanks Nicolas) for a very fair price

comma
08-28-2013, 07:04 PM
As a counterpoint, you don't have to pay for anything. Most technological products come with features you don't want or need. Look at cars, for example. Or think about analog sticks on controllers, or even buttons. iPhone proved you don't need buttons to play a game. Most useful things start as novelty and only become expected later. Sometimes a thing just turns out to be a gimmick.

Mirage
08-28-2013, 07:10 PM

The whole marketing behind this thing is what irritates me the most. The name! 2DS. A play on 3DS, which was a play on DS and 3D. The new and exciting thing about the 3DS is that it plays 3D games, which is obvious from its name. Now the new and exciting thing about the 2DS is that it plays 2D games? Huh? So isn't it just a new DS?So you'd like this more if it was called the DS2? Yup. Or something more descriptive of its target audience. DS Toddler or DS Lazy Eye.

Or DS Idontgiveashitabout3D

Spooniest
08-28-2013, 07:32 PM
OH, that's just silly

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Anyway, here's a size comparison picture.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e3a01e6df5edd3798d27f9299fc819b8/tumblr_ms979iY5ij1qzp9weo1_r1_500.jpg

2DS - 3DS - 3DS XL

Mirage
08-28-2013, 07:39 PM
yeah, i really would have preferred a foldable 2ds.

Formalhaut
08-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm underwhelmed, if only because I already have a 3DS. If I didn't have a 3DS, then I'd be mildly intrigued, but ultimately, the 3D-ness of the 3DS can be turned off. It's not a permanent thing you're stuck with. Having said that, the fact that the 2DS is cheaper is, naturally a draw for those who can't be asked with 3D or for whatever reason can't use it. Personally, I'd rather have the 'option' to have 3D if I wanted to, rather than it being ripped off entirely. Call it a 'hoarding' policy where I can't bear to let go of something just in case I need to use just that one time :p

The main issue here then is just... the design. LOOK AT IT. It's rather hideous. It looks pretty unwieldy, and I'd personally struggle to call it overtly portable, what with the lack of folding. It appears then to be a cross between the 3DS and some very tiny tablet. At least, that's how it looks. I'm concerned about protecting the touch screens though. With the collapsible casing of the 3DS, the two screens are protected. Were you to pop this in your bag, dust and other stuff can muck up your screens. You'd probably want/need a cover for to protect it's naked screens.

I've not got particularly high hopes for this, it has to be said. You've now got a choice between the full price 3DS/XL whose 3D can be turned off and on to your pleasure, or the discounted 2DS with no 3D, a ugly design and cumbersome look. It's a tough choice.

Del Murder
08-28-2013, 07:40 PM
The main gripe I have with the design is that the buttons are in a very odd placement. The fact that the DS/3DS folded was also a nice feature for portability.

Formalhaut
08-28-2013, 07:42 PM
I agree. The buttons seem rather high up, and I can only picture myself trying to use it.

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 07:46 PM
The buttons are positioned high because the shoulder buttons are on top. It would be more awkward to hold and play if they were positioned lower. It wasn't much of a problem with the folded 3DS/DS. This is kinda like the Game Pad for the Wii U.

Formalhaut
08-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Ah I see, I didn't see the shoulder buttons on the top there. Yeah, that does make sense. I can still imagine it being cumbersome though.

Bolivar
08-28-2013, 08:04 PM
iPhone proved you don't need buttons to play a game.

Actually, I think the jury's still out on that one!

Ultima Shadow
08-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Well... since I do not yet have a 3DS, but was planning to get one for the games while having no interest in the 3D function, I suppose I might consider getting this inste-

Nintendo has said the 2DS is for little children who the 3D on 3DS might hurt. They said 5, 6, and 7 year olds. It's meant to be appealing to kids. Not grown men and women.
---..... :|

:crying2:

Jinx
08-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone's complaining. No one is obligated to buy it.

I see what you're saying about the buttons being so high up so that it's easier to use the L/R buttons, but I still think that if someone like myself would have trouble using it because of size, a child might as well. I assume they've already tested it with target audience, though, so I could be wrong.

I guess if it's being made with children in mind, that might explain not being able to fold. Think about it: children are fairly destructive. It'd be a lot easier to break a folding DS than a brick like that.

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Well... since I do not yet have a 3DS, but was planning to get one for the games while having no interest in the 3D function, I suppose I might consider getting this inste-

Nintendo has said the 2DS is for little children who the 3D on 3DS might hurt. They said 5, 6, and 7 year olds. It's meant to be appealing to kids. Not grown men and women.

Way to go, HC! You've ruined the 2DS for a potential buyer!

Hollycat
08-28-2013, 09:27 PM

Way to go, HC! You've ruined the 2DS for a potential buyer!

I have brought tremendous dishonor to my people. *commits hariki*

Agent Proto
08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Specs

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4fcf4d4bcf124fe47e12354efc63bb79/tumblr_ms9fjcZNGK1ssx6buo1_1280.jpg

Skyblade
08-28-2013, 10:54 PM

yeah this is my main qualm with the current 3DS, is that I have to pay for a feature i don't want to use. I would love what would essentially be a forward-compatible DS (or DSi or whatever) that can play 3DS games with no 3D option.

at least I got my current 3DS used (thanks Nicolas) for a very fair price

The 3DS does use a parallax barrier screen for the top screen. Thus, even with the 3D turned off, the cost of manufacture is higher than it would be otherwise.

By making the 2DS, they can avoid the additional cost of the screen, which they can then pass on to consumers. So this is a valid idea.

I still don't like the aesthetics or the fact that you can't fold it closed though. Although as a "child friendly" thing, I guess it makes sense.

Bolivar
08-29-2013, 01:27 AM
I was looking at my normal 3DS when the comparison came out, and being that this is a little smaller than that, I think it could actually be a pretty sleek device at that size.

comma
08-29-2013, 01:48 AM
A nice piece on what I found obnoxious about Nintendo's messaging: Opinion: With the 2DS, Nintendo is fixing the wrong problem | Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/28/4667978/opinion-with-the-2ds-nintendo-is-fixing-the-wrong-problem)

Vyk
08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
That made my brain hurt. Who are the idiots that ask that reviewer those questions? Why can't I play 360 games on my Original Xbox? Is essentially what they're asking. Why can't I play blu-ray on my DVD player? These people may not be dumb, but they are EXTREMELY ignorant of the technology at hand. I don't think Nintendo's naming agenda is a large problem for the vast majority of real gamers, or even most casual gamers. The only people I know who ask questions like that are of the elderly range, or have yet to acquire their fist zit. Anyone with regular adult intelligence who actively plays a modest amount of games, or follows the industry to any degree should know a lot of these answers already x_x

Mirage
08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think even my mother would have problems understanding that stuff.

I mean you could easily make an analogy between say, consoles and VCRs being replaced by DVD players, and how some DVD players also had VCR players in the same box.

Rantz
08-29-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm a little sceptical but I can see the niche for this one. My knee-jerk reaction was that it must be a joke, but more child friendly and cheaper - definitely marketable on those two points alone. As for whether I'd get one for myself, maybe. I can actually see some potential for it having a better grip than the foldable DS, especially for someone with large hands like me, but I'd have to try one out first. It could naturally be a very bad fit, too. The price is a big plus for me, though, and I hardly care about the 3D at all.

Bolivar
08-29-2013, 06:44 PM
They know Nintendo fans are a passionate bunch and there's been plenty ammunition to get them worked up lately, but sites like Polygon and Kotaku have shown they're willing to scrape the bottom of the logical barrel to get those clicks and comments.

comma
08-30-2013, 05:28 AM
They know Nintendo fans are a passionate bunch and there's been plenty ammunition to get them worked up lately, but sites like Polygon and Kotaku have shown they're willing to scrape the bottom of the logical barrel to get those clicks and comments.Wow, what are you talking about? They reported on the news, and then they had someone contribute an opinion that it's solving the wrong problem, and another person contributed an opinion that Nintendo really knows their demographic. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel of things to complain about media sites doing.

Skyblade
08-30-2013, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I don't think even my mother would have problems understanding that stuff.

I mean you could easily make an analogy between say, consoles and VCRs being replaced by DVD players, and how some DVD players also had VCR players in the same box.

DVD versus BluRay is probably a better comparison, but you're right.

This is a ridiculous complaint. I don't know of anyone, even a non-gamer, who would have any difficulty understanding what it within a few seconds of actually looking at the product. Especially since, as the article points out, all the later systems are backwards compatible. Even if people didn't know the details of it, they wouldn't care, because their new system would play all the games they want, and if they had an older system, it would take about two seconds to tell them that a later version came out. The details and naming are utterly irrelevant.

Bolivar
08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Wow, what are you talking about? They reported on the news, and then they had someone contribute an opinion that it's solving the wrong problem, and another person contributed an opinion that Nintendo really knows their demographic. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel of things to complain about media sites doing.

The only person who isn't pointing out the ridiculousness that article is you. Even if it rested on firmer grounds, I don't think dissecting marketing and corporate messaging is a productive exercise of a credible journalist.

Polygon has quite the track record for thinly-veiled attempts at flamebaiting, as do its founders. Stuff like this is why people put quotation marks around video game "journalism" and it's probably a big reason why the medium still isn't widely appreciated as a meaningful art form.

comma
08-30-2013, 03:34 PM
The only person who isn't pointing out the ridiculousness that article is you. Even if it rested on firmer grounds, I don't think dissecting marketing and corporate messaging is a productive exercise of a credible journalist. Wow, you are really anti-critical-thinking, huh? I thought maybe people actually wanted to discuss a couple aspects of this news, which is why I made a thread. But if you don't like thinking and talking about things, why are you here?

EDIT: This is a great example of how not to respond to people in a discussion. Keep those opinions to yourself. -Murder

Polygon has quite the track record for thinly-veiled attempts at flamebaiting, as do its founders.Give me some examples and we'll discuss whether they're flamebaiting or critical analysis.

Stuff like this is why people put quotation marks around video game "journalism" and it's probably a big reason why the medium still isn't widely appreciated as a meaningful art form.Um, stuff like this is what elevates video game journalism from simply reporting the news, which is the lowest form of journalism. Actual investigative reporting requires thoughtful questions and an analysis of the events in context. This is what separates something like CNBC, which mostly only reports on the news, from something like the New York Times, which looks deeper into issues.

Bolivar
08-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Comma I apologize for offending you but I am here to talk about games. I don't judge a console based on the cohesiveness of its business strategy or how many units it sold. I value a console based on whether or not it has a solid library and decent features. For example, I already gave my thoughts on why the 3DS is coming into its own and what makes it a solid device I use every day.

That's why I have to roll my eyes when game "journalists" like to talk about messaging, marketing, and hype. And Vyk, Skyblade and Mirage already summed it up better than I could: that article is a joke (I hope you didn't write it). With an argument as incredulous as that, how could I possibly think it was written for any reason other than to energize passionate Nintendo fans? That article isn't investigation or critical thinking; it's a substandard writer's unproductive rant supported by examples that he very obviously made up. And I've seen a pattern of this at Polygon. When a site sends "moderators" to argue against anyone who points out flaws in an article you know something's wrong.

If you want to talk more about game journalism you can pm me or start a new thread, its a topic I'm really interested in. I might make one after work...

Vyk
08-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Upon reflection, I have gotten the impression that the "journalist" is trying to rationalize the 2DS as the next stage in Nintendo's handheld family. GB > GBC > GBA > DS > 3DS( > 2DS?). Like developers are all of a sudden just going to start making 2DS games because that's the new console. They seem to be completely missing the point. The 2DS is merely an alternative for the 3DS. No different than the XL is in that regard. Its the same as the DSi compared to the DS (albeit a step backwards rather than forward). But the point is, developers will still be making 3DS games. For the 3DS. Which the 2DS will simply be capable of playing as well. Nothing more. Its not an evolution. Just an option

Del Murder
08-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Then obviously they should have called it the '3DS 2D'. Or '2D3DS'. Or 'GameBoy Regress'.

Agent Proto
08-30-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't see how the 2DS is a step backward. Is it because it can't play 3D when a good majority of gamers hardly use the 3D function on the 3DS in the first place?

Formalhaut
08-30-2013, 06:28 PM
It'll sell for definite, but I just can't shake a ill feeling about all of this. Maybe I'm just very, very underwhelmed. But I don't know, we'll have to see.

EDIT: I suppose it is evidence of the relative failure of the 3DS. The fact that Nintendo had to create an entire new console (technically speaking) to remove a feature that they probably spend lots of money developing, it sort of speaks volumes to me. The 3DS feature was the main feature and upgrade from the previous generation of Nintendo Handhelds. That much is true. The clue is in the title. The 3D feature however, which again, took money to develop I'm sure, is underutilised by both the games and people. Now they've spent money to now remove it. It's... troubling. It's a turnabout to be sure, a doubling back.

The question is now whether this new alternative will sell enough to recoup any costs incurred.

krissy
08-30-2013, 10:43 PM
ok so im gonna buy a used 3ds for 50 bux
and turn off the 3d
and then i be like
ecological and sheize

Shlup
08-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Am I the only one who thought this was neat when I first heard about it? It's not supposed to fit in your pocket; it's supposed to fit in your mom's purse. I'm considering getting one.

Bolivar
08-31-2013, 02:45 AM
I think it'll be a good size, just smaller than the normal 3DS when open. I don't carry mine in my pocket anyway, it sags my pants.

Vyk
08-31-2013, 02:51 AM
I'm legitimately interested in the device, considering I bought a 3DS game with no console and had to borrow one from a friend of my girlfriend's, who has since taken it back. So now I have a game and no way to play it. The 3D aspect was interesting, but not a console-selling gimmick to me. This would suit me fine if it stands up technically. If the screens are bright enough and the battery lasts as long, and they come up with a way to give it a Circle Pad Pro, I'll probably buy into it

Also I don't really think it's lack of 2D makes it an inferior console. It's just that technically speaking, it's still a step down from 3D. But not any worse than Samsung or Sony still making 2D television sets when they have dabbled in 3D screens. Its really pointless to try to argue that it makes them worthless by comparison. But it's still obviously less technical equipment none-the-less

Iceglow
09-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Looking at those pictures, it's clearly designed with young children in mind. Considering the 3DS carries a 7+ age rating in the UK due to the 3D features this is obvious to appeal at restoring parent's faith in Nintendo handhelds.

Personally would have simply done a software patch that disables the 3D options on the 3DS.

YaakaKhiladi
09-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Finnaly ity was a good thread.....!
i like this whole collection....!
Good to have a such view.....

Skyblade
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Am I the only one who thought this was neat when I first heard about it? It's not supposed to fit in your pocket; it's supposed to fit in your mom's purse. I'm considering getting one.

Yeah, understanding it makes a difference, doesn't it? Ah, the importance of context.

Quindiana Jones
09-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Seems awfully expensive for a frisbee. :confused:

Aulayna
09-02-2013, 07:25 PM
TBH the design seems to make sense depending on the ergonomics of the rear of the console. The bulk of most games on 3DS are played on the top screen with the touch screen being used mostly for menus or inspection. The shoulder buttons and controls are around the top screen where most of your attention will be focused.

Jowy
09-02-2013, 11:44 PM
I feel like they just whipped this up to prevent some sort of possible future lawsuit.

Hollycat
09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
How to get a 2ds early
IVmmPpOySIU