PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV DS Lovers Thread - Haters gonna hate

Spooniest
08-31-2013, 07:24 AM
rECX-D6AsoI

I don't give a damn about the Complete Collection or the After Years.

This is an amazing piece of software, and the acting blows Final Fantasy X clean out the water.

"Shall we then, Cecil?"

"I'll be counting on you, my friend."

"Then you've nothing to fear."

NeoCracker
08-31-2013, 11:39 AM
The VA can vary in quality, but VA asside the script was amazing in the DS version. Favorite version of the game to date.

Even the fond memories of playing FF IV back on the SNES, being my first RPG ever, the quality of the DS version overshadows the Nostalgia.

Fynn
08-31-2013, 10:18 PM
This is the definitive version of FFIV. The script is amazing and the difficulty is finally what it should be. I also love the visual style they went with. Also, the script basically made what was one of the more silly entries into something truly epic. Still bought CC for the After Years, but that version of IV was thoroughly disappointing compared to this one. Also, the remixed soundtrack takes cues from the Celtic Moon album. That alone makes this the greatest thing.

maybee
09-01-2013, 04:06 AM
People dislike the DS version of FF IV ?

That's sad because this was a pretty good upgrade of the original classic. It had some pretty top-notch Voice dubs and added a challenge into the game by making everything a tad harder.

10/10 game

I do love the SNES original though and GBA version comes next. I actually wasn't a big fan of the PSP version to be honest. Though I might give it a another go soon.

VeloZer0
09-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I love the DS version. It is actually my favorite DS game, period. Though FF4 showed a lot when it first came out I feel that later titles like FF6 really made it show it's age. Them DS remake shows the true potential of the material.

To my knowledge the majority of the complaints against the DS version are the chibi-style sprites. I like chibi style so it works for me, but I can understand those who don't like them. I personally despise the style they did the PSP version in.

Fynn
09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I love the DS version. It is actually my favorite DS game, period. Though FF4 showed a lot when it first came out I feel that later titles like FF6 really made it show it's age. Them DS remake shows the true potential of the material.

To my knowledge the majority of the complaints against the DS version are the chibi-style sprites. I like chibi style so it works for me, but I can understand those who don't like them. I personally despise the style they did the PSP version in.

I think it worked great for TAY, whre the style was actually consistent.

But yeah, I remember one IGN (or was it Gamespot?) video review, where the reviewer praised the CC for being a "true" FFIV remake, not something "gimmicky" like the DS one. TAY was the highlight of the CC, IMO, and that review only mentioned it in passing. The version of IV there was lackluster, so I don't get it.

Sephex
09-03-2013, 03:31 AM
It isn't my favorite version, but I am just swinging by this thread to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this version of FFIV. I also enjoyed how they added new strategies to take on most bosses. And while FAR TO MANY people were anal on how to use augments, I enjoyed their inclusion as well.

Spooniest
09-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Here's an interesting question:

Why cut to a reaction shot from Rydia when Cecil slaps Edward? Surely, after gobs and gobs of blood in the video game biz all these years, a simple slap across the face shouldn't be considered all that violent...

Spooniest
11-21-2013, 03:31 AM
First of all, you don't slap a man. Even when that was fashionable, like, they dueled with guns after that, you know? Somebody had to go!

~ Charlie "Darkness" Murphy

Elskidor
11-21-2013, 05:14 AM
It is my favorite version. It's nearly perfect and blew my mind when it came out. I've always loved IV, but when the DS version came out I fell in love with all over again. I'm still holding out hope for VI remake similar to this, but it nerdgasms may give me a heart attack. And the opening scene..well, that's probably my favorite piece of FF cinema, or pretty high on the list. It is epic all the way around.

Though I still wish they woulda changed it to let all the people who sacrificed themselves stay dead. FFIV was brutal about killing characters.

Spooniest
11-23-2013, 04:53 AM
It is my favorite version. It's nearly perfect and blew my mind when it came out. I've always loved IV, but when the DS version came out I fell in love with all over again. I'm still holding out hope for VI remake similar to this, but it nerdgasms may give me a heart attack. And the opening scene..well, that's probably my favorite piece of FF cinema, or pretty high on the list. It is epic all the way around.

Though I still wish they woulda changed it to let all the people who sacrificed themselves stay dead. FFIV was brutal about killing characters.

What planet are you from?

Who would want Yang to stay dead? Finding out Yang was alive was one of my favorite moments back when I first played.

Cynicism blows

Elskidor
11-23-2013, 01:02 PM
I've always liked the tragic side. In BoF II I only pick the sad ending, because it makes much more sense than everyone living happily ever after. Feel more real to me. It's my only complaint about IV. I don't think that counts as cynicism when review was all positive. Hell, I think characters staying dead characters positively strengthens the story and characters as well.

Spooniest
11-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I've always liked the tragic side. In BoF II I only pick the sad ending, because it makes much more sense than everyone living happily ever after. Feel more real to me. It's my only complaint about IV. I don't think that counts as cynicism when review was all positive. Hell, I think characters staying dead characters positively strengthens the story and characters as well.

I guess I can see that, but this was back in the Disney-ish days of Final Fantasy, though...

Idealism is stupid sometimes

maybee
11-24-2013, 07:23 AM

This so much

It sort of ruined the game for me for 8 years seeing all the sacrificed people all alive again, making their sacrifices almost pointless. It would of been more tragic and meaningful if those like Cid stayed dead.

Though it was made during Nintendo's strict Family Gaming days, though Tellah stayed dead, maybe they thought that it would be too much death and that Nintendo America wouldn't sell it as Final Fantasy 2.

Jowy
11-30-2013, 08:37 AM
ACCURATE POWER RANKINGS FOR 'MURRICANS:

FFIV: DS
FFIV: Complete PSP
FFIV: GBA
FFIV: Final Fantasy Chronicles
FFIV: J2E romhack translation with obvious fourth wall breaking
FFII for SNES

I love the DS version because I couldn't auto-pilot my way through it and had to rethink a lot of strategies. Lugaborg can go fuck himself though.

Elskidor
11-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't find the DS version hard at all, but I do way overgrind. SNES version was hell on me in the day, but I always figured that it was because I was a newb back then. Hell, I was so much of a newbie I didn't even understand the concept of save so I just kept repeating plays until I died and restarted from scratch. I thought it was the hardest damn game on the planet.

maybee
12-01-2013, 02:59 PM

FFII for SNES

This

Not American though :C

Sephiroth
12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Final Fantasy IV [DS] Cecil & Rosa - Theme of Love - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6NPNQbkH6o)

In my opinion the best Final Fantasy couple ever.

It is very hard but good as I think.

Mirage
12-01-2013, 06:47 PM

FFII for SNES

I love the DS version because I couldn't auto-pilot my way through it and had to rethink a lot of strategies. Lugaborg can go fuck himself though.

I... guess. If the PSP version had included the skill system of the DS version, that would however have been the best version.