PDA

View Full Version : Playing FFVII on PS3 - Sound effects change?

MJN SEIFER
08-31-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm forced to play Pre-PS3 games on my PS3 (for some God Mistaken reason, I didn't know you could play pre-PS3 games on a PS3) as my PS2 isn't working, and have been playing FFVII in order to write my walkthrough, and I've noticed that some of the sound effects have changed, the music is the same though. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'll give examples if you want, though only the sound effects, I dunno if I can describe sounds.

Mercen-X
08-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Maybe it's something to do with some kind of high definition sound enhancement..?

MJN SEIFER
08-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Maybe it's something to do with some kind of high definition sound enhancement..? That sounds reasonable, it could be that. THanks for answering.

SteahMeLee
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
No, it's not that! I had the same issue! It's the emulator version! I don't remember very well but with the modded PS3 I used another version of "PSEmu" and it played exactly as on PS1!

Mirage
09-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Emulation isn't always accurate. If you don't have the actual hardware in your system, it's not unheard of that there will be deviations.

SteahMeLee
09-10-2013, 08:59 PM
That's it! But I managed to make it faithful to PS1! Of course a modded PS3 lets you change many settings you can't on a normal PS3!

MJN SEIFER
09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
It's not an emulator, it's the real PS1 disk, used in a PS3.

Skyblade
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM

The PS3 doesn't contain a PS1's full hardware. It uses software to emulate the features of the older system. As such, even with a pristine game disc, there can be differences between the way it's handled by a PS3 system as opposed to the original PSX. How the software translates the files, how they're optimized for use with the processor, etcetera. Things change, and thus the results change. Sometimes these changes are small, unnoticeable, or even beneficial (such as faster load times). Other times, though, they can distort things in an undesired way.

MJN SEIFER
09-13-2013, 03:18 PM

The PS3 doesn't contain a PS1's full hardware. It uses software to emulate the features of the older system. As such, even with a pristine game disc, there can be differences between the way it's handled by a PS3 system as opposed to the original PSX. How the software translates the files, how they're optimized for use with the processor, etcetera. Things change, and thus the results change. Sometimes these changes are small, unnoticeable, or even beneficial (such as faster load times). Other times, though, they can distort things in an undesired way. Oh, I see. I thought an emulator was always an online thing, that you downloaded, like a hack or whatever. Thanks for explaining it.