PDA

View Full Version : The Blues

Spooniest
08-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Before you start screeding about how tired and played-out the blues is...

vrs4yqwL-Wg
SERIOUSLY BAD WORDS PEOPLE, RATED R

I specialize in this art form.

What is your experience with it?

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Anyone who feels this way is incorrect.

Blues is probably my favorite genre of music in which I am an eternal neophyte. I guess I first started listening to it with Jonny Lang's first album because he was a pretty white boy and as a 12 year-old girl in 1997 that sort of thing appealed to me. So of course in 1998 I had to watch Blues Brothers 2000 because of his cameo and, although the movie didn't come close to the first one (which I saw later in life) it served me as a great introduction to some of the standards and some of the still-living legends of the genre (especially the parts at Queen Mousette's bayou manse with the Louisana Gator Boys.) My dad told me who a lot of the people in the Louisiana Gator Boys were, and I was surprised that I had already listened to them in other genres.

Also that was the first time I ever heard John, the Revelator and holy crap if that song doesn't make you love the Blues then you have no taste and no soul. So that of course leads you to Blind Willie Johnson whose life pretty much was the blues. I listen to a lot of things, here and there, but it's really hard to map the history of the genre. I just know I like it. Everybody should like it.