PDA

View Full Version : Finally started this game

Palom Porom
09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Now, I've only heard mostly bad things about this game. I've beaten FF1, 4 and TAY, 7, 9, 12 , 13 13-2 crisis core - and played every other one and have them all, except this one (FF8) So I finally started it. I named Squall "Pussy" and that is making the game amusing for sure. Example "HEy, Pusy, let's go!" Haha. But, I don't understand why a lot of people don't like it. I avoided playing it all this time because people hate it alot. I'm really enjoying it, the junction system isn't bad at all, I like it a lot. The only thing I have to say is Squall is an asshole. But other than that, I'm liking it. I'm in the Tomb cave and fighting "Sacred" right now. I happen to love Legend of Dragoon, mainly because it was my first RPG. And this game has simalr graphics, It's the closest to LOD than any other FF game. Chrono Cross was a little bit too. I'm just saying, I am very surprised to end up enjoying this game very much. Tell me what you named Squall when you played this, and if you like it and would be interested in playing it through again, please, oh please, name him Pussy hahaha, it's so funny.

Skyblade
09-01-2013, 10:56 PM
It's actually a really good game. The Junction system has some balancing/pacing problems, a number of the story elements work better as elements than as a part of the entire combined plot, and the graphics tend to push the PSX past what it can safely handle.

But it's still a great game, and I can recommend it to any JRPG fan.

Palom Porom
09-01-2013, 11:28 PM
But it's still a great game, and I can recommend it to any JRPG fan.

Yeah, and me also, even from only being about 14 hours in. I can safely say that the only people ho really dispise this game are the ones who love FF7 more than women, as that was their frst RPG ever.

Spooniest
09-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I always go with the default names...people used to call this being a "purist."

Hell, it was years before I knew what the default names were supposed to be in Secret of Mana, but now that I know, I always use them.

Final Fantasy 8 is quite the adventure. I'd recommend you stock up on Aura spells, myself.

Jessweeee♪
09-02-2013, 12:35 AM
I don't usually rename, but when I do I rename Shiva and Griever just because of the funny dialogue. Shiva I like to name a food item, Griever is "my [body part]." I did name Squall Batman once though that was fun.

Anyway, play Triple Triad, lots and lots of Triple Triad. Card Refine is how you get the best items for the magic refining abilities.

Palom Porom
09-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm doing fine with the Junction system, but I heard you can completely break it and max out your characters....any tips on that? And yeah, I've been drawing like crazy.

Skyblade
09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I always go with the default names...people used to call this being a "purist."

Hell, it was years before I knew what the default names were supposed to be in Secret of Mana, but now that I know, I always use them.

Final Fantasy 8 is quite the adventure. I'd recommend you stock up on Aura spells, myself.

I always went with Anri and Tao as my character names for Secret of Mana, after the Ice and Fire mages from Shining Force.

I never realized that the sprite child was male. :D

Spooniest
09-02-2013, 04:29 PM
And yeah, I've been drawing like crazy.

Quetzacotl's (thunderbird) Card Mod ability is much much faster.

noxious.sunshine
09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is amazing.

Glad you're a fan of 8. I don't think Squall is an asshole at all. Playing through it right now and I'm finishing up the side quests before jumping into Lunatic Pandora.
Which, btdubs, I've never gotten past. I got to the last fight with Raijin and Fuujin with only 5 GFs or so and then just couldn't get past them.

I've seen the final video, but I block it from my memory just because I want to see it when I beat the game.

SteahMeLee
09-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I actually like FFVIII a lot... And more than many higher ranked FFs...

FFs characters and story are always amazing! What I'm interested the most in a FF is the system and I love open systems like Junction that lets me do what I love to do...

Assign Job Classes to characters! Give them pros and cons! With FFVIII it's very fun to do it and I love it! ;)

Mirage
09-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Why give them cons when you can just give them pros instead?

SteahMeLee
09-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Because it's the essence of Classes that leads to the necessity of teamwork! In the RPG world group of Warriors, Mages and Rogues used to gather in guilds and form groups to accomplish quests! FF world at its origins is no different! Knights are enduring and strong, but they can just fight, they can't use magic... Mages can but they are physically fragile... Thieves are fast and smart but not so much strong, their power lies in agility and tactics!
Of course I could continue!

Without cons characters wouldn't have classes and would be all the same, there would be no point in forming parties so that the flaws of one could be balanced by the expertises of the other!

Niale
12-16-2013, 12:07 AM
One thing i have to praise it a little for is making improvement on graphical realism, when it evolved from FF7 to FF8. Although i kinda like the lego charm in FF7 more just for some reason. But either way, i think the point is that listening to others may give you a bad impression of the game itself, usually that ruins the game experience, because the internet have become a place were people seem to praise complaining about stuff that is irrelevant in a game, so i would suggest to steer away from that crowd and try it for yourself, and see what you think about it :)

But aslong as you like the game, then that is pretty awesome.
I have not really tried much of it, but i did try enough to say it does well in terms of gameplay.

Oh yeah, i see what you did there with changing the name on the main character, i usually call my character "Haha" or something when i play Zelda. Then the dialogue is like. "Haha, where are you" :P

Mirage
12-16-2013, 12:08 AM
the graphics tend to push the PSX past what it can safely handle.

Huh. This is incorrect.

maybee
12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Final Fantasy VIII one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, as they used to say back in the ancient year of 2011

" Haters Gonna Hate "

Also, if you're interested.

http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-viii/149849-final-fantasy-8-lovers-haters-cant-come.html

Ayen
12-16-2013, 12:57 PM
I didn't even know people did hate it so much until joining this site. Glad you're enjoying it. I only renamed Squall after myself when I first played (as I did a lot back then). Can't remember what I named Rinoa my first play through. Akane, I think. I'm a Ranma fan.