PDA

View Full Version : I detest certain kinds of bugs

Spooniest
09-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Specifically flies and mosquitoes, though there are others.

I live in what's basically a man-made dry lake bed, so they never freaking leave me alone when I'm outside in the summer.

It really, really is getting to me!

I have to move...

But bugs: good and bad is the topic. And we're off!

Pike
09-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Moths are and always shall be the worst.

Madame Adequate
09-02-2013, 01:47 AM
I don't like moths, and I really don't like spiders, but I HATE centipedes and millipedes.

fire_of_avalon
09-02-2013, 02:01 AM
I hate and fear cockroaches and house centipedes. I don't like anything that tries to get in my hair. I am a little creeped out by ticks and other bloodsuckers. I'm good with most insects though.

Today we found an inchworm on my sister's head and we took a few pictures of his adorableness.

Sephex
09-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Wasps and Bees. Well, mainly the things that go after you for no reason and sting.

Formalhaut
09-02-2013, 03:45 AM

AMEN.

KentaRawr!
09-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Computer bugs. :mad2:

Shlup
09-02-2013, 05:21 AM
I hate the standard bugs: mosquitoes, wasps, spiders. Oh, and butterflies are pretty stupid.

Spooniest
09-02-2013, 05:32 AM

AMEN.

I would have agreed with you, up until the other day...

When this happened.

Was the damnedest thing I've ever seen in my life. The little guy just sat there sniffing my hand for the longest time. Wasn't afraid of me at all, until I tried to get him to leave. Then he tried to fly down my shirt.

Honestly, I laughed. He was acting like my mom's dog.

But yes, all those other bugs everyone mentioned, I hate as well.

But are there any bugs you guys like?

Pike
09-02-2013, 10:20 AM
But are there any bugs you guys like?

Crickets. Love crickets. When I worked at a pet store I'd get my arms elbow deep in piles of thousands and thousands of crickets and I didn't give a damn because it was cute.

They do stink, though, so there's that.

Night Fury
09-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm always saying this, but fucking moths and butterflies. Urrrrgh.

I really like Ladybirds though! If I had to choose a bug I liked, anyway.

Yerushalmi
09-02-2013, 01:28 PM
The ones the NSA has on my phone. Hate those.

fire_of_avalon
09-02-2013, 01:48 PM
I hate the standard bugs: mosquitoes, wasps, spiders. Oh, and butterflies are pretty stupid.
What kind of sick individuals dislikes butterflies?!

I'm always saying this, but smurfing moths and butterflies. Urrrrgh.

http://i.imgur.com/KMdidY3.gif

Shauna
09-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Wasps and Daddy-Long-Legs. Screw those things.

Jinx
09-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Butterflies are horrible. People only ever look at the wings and not what the actual beasts look like.

I hate all bugs. Some are definitely higher up on my hatred scale. Like Mister Adequate, my least favourite bug is a millipedes and centipedes, and I will lose my trout. One time I saw this video on Animal Planet about a 3 foot centipede, and was seriously sick and panicking until the end where they said it wasn't real.

EDIT: I lied. There is one bug I like: Dragonflies.

Shorty
09-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I like butterflies! And moths. :love:

I am mostly fine with bugs unless they are crawling on me. I am someone who will stop to watch bugs for a minute if I see them. I always kindof secretly wanted a tarantula as a kid.

Scorpions are the worst bugs alive, though.

Yerushalmi
09-02-2013, 07:11 PM
My more serious answer:

There is a special hatred in my heart for mosquitoes. I am very allergic to them, and also apparently very attractive as well. I would have no problem with exterminating the entire family, men, women, and children.

I have a strong phobia of bees, but I don't actively loathe them like I do mosquitoes.

Larahl
09-02-2013, 07:38 PM
I hate a lot of bugs, but most of them don't bother me, and if they get too close they get squished.

Argh, but there are some really weird bugs. There's this field where my friends and I sit at night, and a couple of days some creepy-alien-looking flying bug attacked us. I don't have idea what the smurf that one was.

...I hate bugs.

Faris
09-02-2013, 08:23 PM
ANYTHING THAT BUZZES ARGH I HATE

Wasps right now are the worst. Sometimes they try to come in the house and I have to cleverly convince them that the outside world is a much more interesting and better place. Also, I went to a few food places and they were crawling around in the display and in the food :onoes:

sharkythesharkdogg
09-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't particularly enjoy them buzzing in my face, or feasting up my blood, but other than that, most bugs I'm fine with.

My favorite around here might be the Eastern Hercules Beetle (http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/07/dynastes_tityus_ky.jpg). They're a little smaller than the palm of your hand, and really neat looking. I found one at the shop a few weeks ago.

noxious.sunshine
09-04-2013, 01:30 AM
I hate ticks, fleas, spiders, and this super weird black with white spots bug that has really long antennae. I swear it came from another dimension.
Also, centipedes. Or millipedes. Hell, I hate both.

I love stick bugs, grasshoppers, praying mantises, inch worms, and caterpillars. And butterflies and lady bugs.

comma
09-04-2013, 02:57 AM
I really don't mind bugs who are beneficial and who kill pests. I don't mind spiders and house centipedes, because they kill grain beetles, carpet beetles, and (gods forbid) bed bugs.

Actually, if you see a house centipede, there are probably good odds that you have some kind of beetle pest for them to be feeding on, which means you really don't want to kill them. House centipedes are harmless to humans and very shy. Now, if I had dozens of them, I'd do something about it, but I saw one scurry away once, and I didn't really bother looking for it.

noxious.sunshine
09-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Which ones are poisonus? Millipedes? Can't they kill you? IDGAF I hate them.a

And wasps too. They love our balcony. There were 2 nests built back to back after we got rid of the first one out there. Assholes.

Bed bugs scare me as well. Not that I've ever had an infestation of them, but just the thought of it happening freaks me out. Parker asked me about them once after I said "Night night, don't let the bed bugs bite!" (she asked me if they're real), and I was like "uh... Yeah. But. We don't have them. Don't worry."

Formalhaut
09-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Besides my obvious fear of moths, pretty much every insect I can't really stand. No seriously:

Butterflies are like the annoying lesser cousin of the moth. Thankfully, they dwell outside, so they're fine.
Spiders, depending on size, are either annoying or downright scary.
Caterpillars are just disgusting, writhing things, much like worms.
Beetles are gross.
Wasps and bees are vary between irritant and hellspawn.
Flies are just annoying, full stop.
Stick insects are freaky, but slow moving, so they are okay, I guess, if they are in a closed box.
Daddy long legs, *shiver*

I've probably missed out loads more, but this list would get too log. I really, really, hate bugs.

Denmark
09-06-2013, 04:12 PM
wasps are assholes. bees are awesome.

i'm generally cool with bugs, unless they are assholes (like mosquitoes, or the aforementioned wasps)

Kalen
09-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I work in an ER and anytime someone comes in and we find bed bugs on them we have to section off the room, have someone come in and steam clean it, and change our scrubs. I hear they are a NIGHTMARE to get rid of if you get them in your home.

Also, they mate by the male using his knife penis to stab the female's belly. I guess it makes sure he's the daddy..........
Disgusting!

Jinx
09-06-2013, 09:10 PM
What Denmark said. Bees are bros. Not all of them sting anyways, but even the ones that do generally don't go out of their way to sting unless you're moving and frightening them. It's more like, "Oh, hey! You're wearing a brightly coloured shirt and some good smelling stuff! Wait a minute...you're a not a flower. Oh, man, my mistake. Have a great day, madam!"

I love bees. I want a tattoo of one.

Xaven
09-07-2013, 09:42 AM
What Denmark said. Bees are bros. Not all of them sting anyways, but even the ones that do generally don't go out of their way to sting unless you're moving and frightening them. It's more like, "Oh, hey! You're wearing a brightly coloured shirt and some good smelling stuff! Wait a minute...you're a not a flower. Oh, man, my mistake. Have a great day, madam!"

I love bees. I want a tattoo of one.

wasps are assholes. bees are awesome.

i'm generally cool with bugs, unless they are assholes (like mosquitoes, or the aforementioned wasps)

I LOVE bees! They're so silly and sad and adorable. Beetles are the supreme clueless ones. Moths are totally benign and fairly stupid. Butterflies are the best when they cuddle up with you!

I really like non-aggressive bugs! I'm gonna be a bug-type pokemon gym leader one day! ^o^

The Man
09-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I usually dislike anything that flies and can sting me (although I've gotten to be ok with bees after years and years of practice - I got stung by a yellow jacket when I was five and it gave me an irrational phobia of bees for a long time).

I also have an irrational hatred of cockroaches.

Mo-Nercy
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Spiders. I once found a funnel web in the mailbox as a child and it's forever scarred me. Even Huntsmen freak me out.

Spuuky
09-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Guess which of these two bugs terrifies my wife!

BUG NUMBER ONE: 47424

BUG NUMBER TWO: 47425

Mirage
09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm pretty sure most people detest certain kinds of bugs.

Yerushalmi
09-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I usually dislike anything that flies and can sting me (although I've gotten to be ok with bees after years and years of practice - I got stung by a yellow jacket when I was five and it gave me an irrational phobia of bees for a long time).

I don't see fearing "anything that flies and can sting me" as necessarily irrational. I've often said that my phobia of bees is probably one of the more rational phobias out there, even if the severity of my phobia is very irrational. After all, most things that can hurt you are easily defeatable or evadable if you're a reasonably healthy person with a brain. You can hit a dog in the head repeatedly with something heavy. You can step on a snake or run faster than it can. Supposedly mountain lions won't attack you if you open your jacket and cow them by making yourself look bigger (not to mention when was the last time you ran into a mountain lion?). But bees are extremely common creatures, and they can come at you in three dimensions, are fast enough to keep pace with a running person and don't have to avoid ground obstacles while they do so, and are dextrous enough to easily dodge frontal attacks. If you're going to pick one thing to be damn freaking afraid of, it might as well be the one you legitimately can't defend yourself against.

Spuuky
09-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Bees aren't really faster than snakes, although snakes are much more concerned with conserving energy and won't bother. Bees are about as easy to swat out of the sky as a snake is to step on (which is to say it can't always be done, but sure, you'll manage with the docile ones).

Spiders are a much more rational phobia if you live in somewhere like Australia or Brazil, and increasingly less rational as you get to more civilized parts of the world.

EDIT:

Jess
09-22-2013, 04:31 PM
I have a huge irrational fear of spiders. Of any size, shape or colour. They scare the living shit out of me.

Other than spiders, I also hate anything that can fly at my face.

Shiny
09-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Fleas suck. Leave my dogs alone! Mosquitos also suck literally and figuratively. Moths suck because one time a moth ate pieces of the blanket my grandmother made so now I get paranoid they'll eat other things when they're in my room. Wasps suck too and there was a wasp in my bed for some reason. My dog finally found it and killed it. Centipedes maybe don't suck, but they scare me. So creepy.

I actually like caterpillars and butterflies. Sometimes I like spiders when they kill the annoying flies in my room.