PDA

View Full Version : Retirement of Hayao Miyazaki

NeoCracker
09-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Hayao Miyazaki, Ghibli's Anime Legend, Retires at 72 | The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127382-Hayao-Miyazaki-Ghiblis-Anime-Legend-Retires-at-72)

I'm going to be sad to see him go. Guy had one hell of a run.

Shiny
09-02-2013, 08:49 AM
I hope the retirement isn't because of illness. Definitely one of my favorite directors, so bummed about this news, but I respect his decision.

Pete for President
09-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Awesome, he deserves it for sure! May he have an awesome time doing whatever he still wants to do, and I can't wait to see his latest piece :greenie:

Praise!

maybee
09-02-2013, 09:30 AM
I hope that he has a good retirement ! He deserves it ! :jess:

Going to miss his movies so much.

TrollHunter
09-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Considering Spirited Away is probably my favorite movie of all time... this is heartbreaking news for me.
He had one hell of a run though as you said, and he definitely deserves a fantastic retirement.

Rantz
09-02-2013, 09:38 AM
He certainly deserves it. Sad to see such a good director step down, but he's done more than his share of great movies, so I respect the move.

Shauna
09-02-2013, 10:01 AM
I am sad to see him go, but he has directed a many wonderful movie. If it is his time to retire then that's fine.

At least we have his son, Goro Miyazaki to take up the helm now that he's gone! Tales from Earthsea wasn't... awful... :3

Pike
09-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Didn't he say he was going to retire at the end of Princess Mononoke? And then again at the end of Spirited Away? :shifty:

I might be thinking of the wrong guy but I could have sworn he's said this before.

NeoCracker
09-02-2013, 10:20 AM
His son definately had talent, and you could see that in Earthsea, even though the movie turned out awful. I have high hopes for future projects.

And he's kind of said it before, though I don't recall them ever making a big announcement about it. It was always more a 'I won't be doing this for much longer' then a definitive "I"m done now".

I Took the Red Pill
09-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Didn't he say he was going to retire at the end of Princess Mononoke? And then again at the end of Spirited Away? :shifty:

I might be thinking of the wrong guy but I could have sworn he's said this before.Otherwise known as the "Hideo Kojima syndrome"

The Captain
09-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Whenever he does decide to retire, be it after this movie or at some later time I will have nothing to respect for him. He is one of the greatest living directors in film history, not just in animation.

Something to sum up my feelings:

Princess Mononoke Movie Review (1999) | Roger Ebert (http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/princess-mononoke-1999)

Take care all.

noxious.sunshine
09-02-2013, 10:01 PM
He's amazing. I'm such a huge fan of "Spirited Away".

He made that movie because of the ending theme song "Itsumo Nandodemo" and he wrote the movie based on a little girl he knew.

And Howl's Moving Castle. And Ponyo. I love them all.

I actually thought he retired a few years ago. I'm glad he stayed in the game for so long, and I'm so sad that he's retiring. But he deserves it.

Shorty
09-03-2013, 07:03 AM
He certainly deserves it. Sad to see such a good director step down, but he's done more than his share of great movies, so I respect the move.

Yes, this. The only one of his that comes to mind that I didn't particularly like was Whisper of the Heart. Rantz and I tried to watch it twice, I think, and it was so terribly confusing. Other than that, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are some of the best movies ever. And others like Kiki's Delivery Service and Ponyo are just adorable.

I love that each of his films has a message or teaching he wants to convey, and he does it in the most beautiful, artistic and heart-warming way possible. He's definitely left his imprint in the directing world, and even if he's leaving, he's left us with a good number of excellent films to remember him by.

Spooniest
09-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Wabi-sabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi)

Came to mind immediately...

(sniff)

Scotty_ffgamer
09-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Yes, this. The only one of his that comes to mind that I didn't particularly like was Whisper of the Heart. Rantz and I tried to watch it twice, I think, and it was so terribly confusing. Other than that, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are some of the best movies ever. And others like Kiki's Delivery Service and Ponyo are just adorable.

I think the problem with Whisper of the Heart was that Miyazaki didn't actually direct it. He helped write it, but that was also a collaborative effort between several people. I still enjoyed that one, though it was kind of a disappointment. I forgive it for having The Baron and leading towards The Cat Returns (which is awesome).

If you want to see a Ghibli film that tackles the whole romantic-type story a lot more successfully, you should watch From Up on Poppy Hill. I believe Hayao wrote that one, and Goro was actually the director. It ended up being quite good despite Goro's flop with Earthsea.

My favorite movie from Miyazaki will probably always be Nausicaa with Howl and Castle in the Sky both tying for second place.

NeoCracker
09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
It's a hard choice, but I think my favorite is probably Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro.

God damn that movie was so fun.

Jinx
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Indeed a hard choice! I really like Spirited Away and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. Spirited Away is so sad and heartbreaking, and Ponyo is just so sweet and innocent.

All of his movies are works of true art. When you watch a movie and it leaves you really feeling something--not just for a few hours, but for years to come--you know you've seen something truly beautiful.

Spooniest
09-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Castle In The Sky...

;_;

TrollHunter
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM
People are going to hate me for this, but I actually think that Howl's Moving Castle was one of his weaker films. I liked it, but not nearly as much as his other movies and there were many things that bothered me about it that I can't quite put my finger on.
I actually watched another one of his movies last night... It's called "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" and it's extremely fantastic, especially for a movie roughly 29 years old. I HIGHLY recommend checking it out.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-04-2013, 01:54 AM
He did a manga for Nausicaa as well (I think it actually started first). I've been considering looking into it's story goes past the end of the movie.

Howl's Moving Castle is probably one of his weaker films in the end, but I've always loved it. The novel is better though. Not that you can really compare the two.... they have very few similarities.

TrollHunter
09-04-2013, 02:11 AM
He did a manga for Nausicaa as well (I think it actually started first). I've been considering looking into it's story goes past the end of the movie.

Oh really? That's interesting. I was definitely curious as to what happened after the ending. Will probably check that out.

Sephex
09-04-2013, 02:58 AM
I can't really choose a favorite, and I only really disliked a film or two done by him. Even then, I will take his weaker works over most of the flooge that gets spewed in my face from most studios.

It sucks that he is calling it quits, and assumed he stay retired (because you never know when the "bug" starts to bite creators), I am very thankful and satisfied with his career.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Has anyone seen The Wind Rises yet? I don't think it's been released outside of Japan yet. I had kind of forgotten about it, but I'm interested in watching it now that I remember it is a thing, especially since it is Miyazaki's last movie.

Freya
09-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Mononoke was my favorite but that's because it's the first Miyazaki film I saw. I thought he step down after Ponyo so i'm a little surprised now he's retiring.

Shauna
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Has anyone seen The Wind Rises yet? I don't think it's been released outside of Japan yet. I had kind of forgotten about it, but I'm interested in watching it now that I remember it is a thing, especially since it is Miyazaki's last movie.

Up on Poppy Hill has barely been released here (UK) at this point. xD Maybe in another few months (lolyears).

Mo-Nercy
09-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Absolute legend. Nausicaa is my favourite but Spirited Away, Mononoke and Howl are also up there.
I also think Kiki's Delivery Service is very sweet.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Up on Poppy Hill has barely been released here (UK) at this point. xD Maybe in another few months (lolyears).

I didn't know if maybe someone had seen a subbed version of it. That's how I watched From Up on Poppy Hill.

Shorty
09-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I've never even heard of From Up on Poppy Hill! I need to go through his filmography list and watch others. The ones I've seen are mainly just his popular ones. I saw Nausicaa a few years ago but I fell asleep.

Miriel
09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Howl's Moving Castle is probably one of his weaker films in the end, but I've always loved it. The novel is better though. Not that you can really compare the two.... they have very few similarities.

See, Howl's Moving Castle is one of my absolute favorites from Miyazaki and I thought it was much much better than the book. I still enjoyed the book, but I loved the movie.

It was less freaky and psychedelic than his other films which I appreciated.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
There are just some small things that I think make it a bit weaker. I probably only enjoyed the book more just because I like reading more than watching movies in general. The character of Howl was much more likable in the movie, though.

Miyazaki's weakest films I've seen are probably Ponyo and The Secret World of Arriety. Howl is probably honestly more middle of the road than a weaker film the more I think about it. I still love Howl though. It's one of my favorites just because it is a lot of fun to watch. It was my first Miyazaki film, too.

Either way, I don't think the guy can make a bad movie, and it's disappointing to see that we probably won't see any more from him.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Christian Bale's voice made me develop a monumental crush on Howl.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 03:06 AM
My thought's assuming it's a real retirement: :cry:

Assuming he's a dirty stinking liar: please, please, please be a liar. Please! I'll do anything! A N Y T H I N G.

yukina
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
My heart is breaking. :(

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were some of the animated films I rewatched as an adult and found new lessons lurking in between the lines. Kind of like The Little Prince.

Pike
09-12-2013, 09:31 PM
My favorite Miyazaki movie is My Neighbor Totoro, always and forever. I love how believable those little kids in the movie were.

Also the cheeriest music ever.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I just bought Totoro a month or so ago... and I still haven't seen it. I said I'd watch it with my roommate and his girlfriend, but I'm starting to think that isn't going to happen. I'll have to watch it by myself, probably.