PDA

View Full Version : Need a new PS3 or Wii game

Del Murder
09-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Help me find a new (single player) game to play, EoFF. Here's some of the games I've played so you get an idea of what I like:

PS3:
Assassin's Creed series
Batman Arkham series
Borderlands series
Duck Tales Remastered
Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2
God of War series (haven't played Ascension though)
Infamous
Journey
The Last of Us
Mass Effect series
Mega Man 9 & 10
Portal series
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted series
The Walking Dead

Wii:
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Mario Galaxy series
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zelda series

Some games I am considering are:
God of War: Ascension
Valkyria Chronicles
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Flying Mullet
09-05-2013, 05:08 PM
You should seriously check out Diablo3 for the PS3 (just released). They've done a great job of converting the hack-n-slash gameplay to a controller. It's very visceral, to say the least and a very different experience from the PC version.

Del Murder
09-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Is there a monthly fee for Diablo III?

Madame Adequate
09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Get XCOM.

NeoCracker
09-05-2013, 05:18 PM
On your list Valkyria Chronicles is definately a good game, one of the most unique SRPG experiences out there. Enemy Unknown, while it has some issues even afer the bug fixes, is a solid game. Not one I usually get that into, mind you, but it's pretty easy to tell the quality and time that went into making it.

If you don't mind trying a different kind of RPG that focus's a lot more on time management and interations with other party members, and doesn't really have the same kind of world saving epic plot of others, Atelier Ayesha is a good one to try out. Especially if you like crafting in RPG's, as to date I don't think there is a game that even comes close to the quality crafting system of Ayesha. If you never liked crafting in RPG's though, stay away. It's pretty damn central to the game as a whole. :p

Loony BoB
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Far Cry 3 is a shooter that I found to be well worth buying. Also, if you like Uncharted's gameplay, Tomb Raider is great. Shame it doesn't have the awesome comedy mixed in with it, but hey, can't all be Nate.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Valkyria Chronicles = Very Yes.

For the PS3, I would suggest Nier and maybe Folklore. I've never beaten Folklore, but I remember having a lot of fun with it when I first got the PS3.

For Wii, I would suggest Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon and Pandora's Tower.

NeoCracker
09-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Folklore is a fucking trap. It tricks you. I present to you my Folklore experience.

Turned on game: "Hey, this is pretty interesting. Could be something here."
Turned it off after four hours.
Next day thinking back on that: "Wow, that was really fucking stupid. I am never touching that game again."

Scotty_ffgamer
09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Maybe it is bad, haha. It's been a long time since I've played it at all. I thought it was pretty fun at the time though.

Bolivar
09-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Inb4 bert tells you to sell both consoles and get civ v on pc with the money.

Go with Valkyria!

Quindiana Jones
09-05-2013, 05:57 PM
XCOM is excellent, if somewhat different from the other games on that list. As far as I'm aware, there is no monthly fee for Diablo 3, and I intend to get it. I'll let you know of my experiences with it, if you've got the patience to wait a few days?

I don't think that question mark should be there. :shifty:

CimminyCricket
09-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Far Cry 3 was pretty awesome, even though I played in on 360. Barring that, go ahead and grab Disgaea 3 or 4. They're both pretty awesome games.

I've never played any of the games you are considering.

Slothy
09-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Get XCOM.

This and Valkyria Chronicles.

Flying Mullet
09-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Is there a monthly fee for Diablo III?
There is no fee. It supports both offline and online modes.

Nicolas
09-05-2013, 08:41 PM
The Castle of Illusions game came out recently. That should be a bit of fun if you like remade, old school platformers. I have a few more suggestions, but they have some good advice so far. I may update this when I get a chance to look at my games.

Shaibana
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
if you enjoyed AC, you might like Red Dead Redemption

Del Murder
09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I have played it and forgot to put it on there! (but you're right I did love it)

Polnareff
09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Definitely get Diablo 3. It's way better than it was on PC.

For Wii:
Arc Rise Fantasia (JRPG)
Spyborgs (action)
Wario Land: Shake It (platformer)
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (action)
Zack & Wiki (puzzle)

PS3:
Rayman Origins/Rayman Legends (platformer)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (action)
Castle of Illusion HD (platformer) It even has the original Sega game.
DuckTales Remastered (platformer)
Zeno Clash 2 (first-person action)

Flaming Ice
09-06-2013, 03:07 AM
I got Diablo 3, I like it so far...too bad you miss the preorder bonus.

Wii

If you played Xenoblade then get Pandora's tower, monster hunter tri is pretty good too (online compatible) but is a bit outdated since it has an "improved" version out

PS3
Tales of graces f and tales of Xillia too.

Spuuky
09-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best 5 games on the PS3.

Do you like Dragon Quest and Pokemon? Because Ni no Kuni is roughly half of each, with a dash of Earthbound. Not always the best parts of those three, but hey, I enjoyed it.

XCOM: EU is what it is, which is in the upper tiers of games, but not really a "must-play" like the original was.

Fallout: New Vegas is my last official recommendation, pretty surprising to me that no Bethesda games are on your list, and New Vegas is far better than Fallout 3 and somewhat better than Skyrim.

Del Murder
09-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Yeah, Ni no Kuni is on my radar as well. It looks very whimsical.

I don't know why, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls never really appealed to me. I'm not a big fan of first person RPGs. I know they both have a third person mode, but I don't think that was how they were intended to be played.

Spuuky
09-06-2013, 04:49 AM

I don't know why, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls never really appealed to me. I'm not a big fan of first person RPGs. I know they both have a third person mode, but I don't think that was how they were intended to be played.Fallout 1 and 2 didn't have a first person mode =/

You should play New Vegas anyway.

Del Murder
09-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Well I'm going with Valkyria Chronicles for sure. For the other game I think I'm going to try Ni no Kuni since it looks whimsical and enjoyable. Fallout/XCOM/Far Cry also look fun but maybe a bit too heavy for me right now. I want something a little more lighthearted.

Also is Dragon Age Origins any good? I really loved Mass Effect and the idea of playing BioWare's fantasy series for this gen is intriguing.

The other thing that caught my eye was LA Noire.

NeoCracker
09-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Dragon Age has some issues, definitely, but I found it very fun. Fairly cheep now if I recall, so definitely worth the price. Game has a lot of options and shit to do.

Also, PS2 classic's has an absolutely wonderful Sidescroller/RPG called Odin Sphere for 10$. I would say it's the best sidescroller made ever. :p

Mirage
09-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I got Diablo 3, I like it so far...too bad you miss the preorder bonus.

Wii

If you played Xenoblade then get Pandora's tower, monster hunter tri is pretty good too (online compatible) but is a bit outdated since it has an "improved" version out

PS3
Tales of graces f and tales of Xillia too.

I second Tales of Graces F and Tales of Xillia. Graces' story is a bit dull but the gameplay is really good. There is also a lot of content, with secrets, exploration, replay value and hard/extreme/etc modes.

Bolivar
09-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Good luck have fun Del. Valkyria does start a little slow, but have patience and you will be rewarded.

Loony BoB
09-06-2013, 04:49 PM
It should be noted that if you do get Far Cry 3, the co-op campaigns would allow for both you and Hannah to play split-screen and in my experience it's absolute loads of fun. :D So when she felt like it, we'd play co-op, and when I was on my own, I'd play single player.

Flaming Ice
09-06-2013, 07:52 PM

I don't know why, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls never really appealed to me. I'm not a big fan of first person RPGs. I know they both have a third person mode, but I don't think that was how they were intended to be played.

Just went down in price to about $30 in places too :)

Del Murder
09-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Yup, got it for $30 on Amazon. Games are cheap when you don't play them right when they come out!

Flaming Ice
09-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Well I'm going with Valkyria Chronicles for sure. For the other game I think I'm going to try Ni no Kuni since it looks whimsical and enjoyable. Fallout/XCOM/Far Cry also look fun but maybe a bit too heavy for me right now. I want something a little more lighthearted.

Also is Dragon Age Origins any good? I really loved Mass Effect and the idea of playing BioWare's fantasy series for this gen is intriguing.

The other thing that caught my eye was LA Noire.

If you get dragon age look out for the one with all the bonus content on it.

Also there's dragon age 2 but I think you have to buy it brand new to get part of the game (it comes with a code) otherwise you have to pay for the content....they were trying to fight back used games......~.~

Yup, got it for $30 on Amazon. Games are cheap when you don't play them right when they come out!

I was actually surprised it went that low too...quite a few rpgs you have to wait a very long time before they go down by a significant amount. That's the downside of playing rpgs =(

Nicolas
09-07-2013, 01:42 AM
I would actually recommend Dragon Age: Origins. It was one of the more memorable experiences for me on my Xbox 360.

For PS3:
3D Dot Game Heroes is quite fun. It's basically an homage to the early Legend of Zeldas done in voxel form.

Ni No Kuni is entertaining.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best on the system.

Not sure if anybody mentioned it, but if you haven't tried out one of the Souls games, those are quite enjoyable. Demon's Souls is a good start to it.

Depending on what PS2 games you've played, the HD versions of many game series are still fun. Okami HD and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus being my favorites.

For the Wii:

I've got nothin' you haven't played. ;o

Del Murder
09-07-2013, 02:07 AM
I have 3D Dot Game Heroes and Ico/SotC. Just forgot to mention them.

Thing about the Souls series is that it looks really frustrating. I'm one of those players who likes to collect everything and never lose anything and I'd probably get fed up with all the deaths in the game.

TrollHunter
09-07-2013, 03:52 AM
Devil May cry HD collection
Devil may cry 4
Seriously, these games are too good to pass up. EXTREMELY deep combat and gameplay, and DMC3 is debatably one of the best games of its kind.
And... just to add, DMC3 has some kickass weapons. Triple nunchucks? A devil scythe guitar that shoots electricity and electrical bats?
There are extremely creative things in the devil may cry games you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else.
Devil May Cry 3-Dante With The Motorcycle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHY6xRpktk)
DMC4: Combo Video - Raise Thy Sword - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7410iERPhQ)

Ratchet & clank HD collection + the future series

Easily my favorite franchise in gaming. Witty writing, great gameplay (very much easy to play, fairly difficult to master), and some of the most creative and inventive weapons in gaming history. Pick these games up, seriously. You'd be doing yourself a disservice not getting them.

Nicolas
09-07-2013, 04:54 AM
I have 3D Dot Game Heroes and Ico/SotC. Just forgot to mention them.

Thing about the Souls series is that it looks really frustrating. I'm one of those players who likes to collect everything and never lose anything and I'd probably get fed up with all the deaths in the game.

Ah. Ok. It's not that frustrating, honestly. The game is basically an older platformer in the vein of Mega Man. Learn the patterns, placements of enemies, and weaknesses and you'll have no issues. It does take a while to adjust to how the game treats you, but once you learn the system, it's fairly easy. The only thing that is going to frustrate you is yourself. You can easily farm souls in certain areas in the game with little to no effort. Collection is another thing though. You're going to have to go through multiple playthroughs in order to do that.

Flaming Ice
09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Possibly Puppeteer -it just came out

And of course Kingdom hearts hd is out now

Shaibana
09-17-2013, 07:51 PM

ppfff.. i preordered that game, but now i dnt have the money for it :(

Laddy
09-18-2013, 03:54 PM
X-Com is very, very damn good. Valkyria is also good and similar-ish.

Fallout: New Vegas has probably one of the best stories this generation, and the game is more RPG-like than 3 despite the fact it has the same engine and system.

Tales of Xillia/Vesperia are among the few JRPG's worth a damn this generation.

Flaming Ice
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM

:(

I have the money for it but $40 is pretty expensive.....(usually hd collections go down $10-20)

Shaibana
09-18-2013, 07:52 PM

:(

I have the money for it but $40 is pretty expensive.....(usually hd collections go down $10-20)

i think im going to let it pass for now, i orderd a special edition :o
ill get one later, a 'normal' edition

resident evil: revelations, for ps3 was also 45 euro, wich is also a HD remake