PDA

View Full Version : Journals/Diaries

Shorty
09-06-2013, 02:48 AM
I used to physically write in private journals, but since discovering livejournal in 2002, it's taken on as a replacement and houses a lifetime of memories for me. It's a bit different because it can be read by others so it isn't completely private, but it still acts as a journal in that it allows me to mindlessly write what is on my mind or how my day went. I'm fairly certain I'm the only one who uses livejournal anymore, though Calliope and Pike will update once in a while. (This thread is really just a sad, desperate way to try to bring livejournal back. I won't let it die! I won't!)

Do you write in a journal or diary? If you don't currently, did you in the past?

Slothy
09-06-2013, 02:57 AM
I've considered keeping a journal to work through any silly bullshit that happens in my life, but I would lack the consistency to stick with.

I'll just keep to my current method of ranting to you when things go wrong. :p

Jinx
09-06-2013, 02:58 AM
I used to write in journals daily, and I have something upwards of 8 years of journals in storage at the moment. I've really been considering starting to journal again recently!

Sephex
09-06-2013, 03:00 AM
There was the journal I had over 10 years ago. This was a real life one. Anyway, I started it in the middle of my first lengthy relationship. I wrote awhile after the break up, and whenever I decide to flip through it, I notice that my handwriting becomes more and more messy. What became a fairly normal journal evolved into me analyzing the crap out of why a relationship failed, as if I was the only person to experience such a thing.

It's actually fun to look at now to see how much I have grown. I also have a sense of humor, so I poke fun at myself while skimming through it.

Anyway, it's funny that the idea of a journal has evolved to freely sharing thoughts with the whole world. I remember a friend of mine saw me writing in the real life I mentioned in this post, and she straight up asked me what I wrote about because even then she was used to being able to see my musings. The weirder thing is that I didn't even think it was rude of her to ask, and I gave her the cliff's notes at the time.

noxious.sunshine
09-06-2013, 04:14 AM
I used to keep a Diaryland diary in highschool - simply because you can completely mess with the HTML and make your own layouts and whatnot - which I got into for a short while before I realized I completely wasn't -that- great at using Photoshop and trying to get better was starting to irritate me.

But yeah. I logged into my old account recently after I remembered I had it and started reading all of my old posts. .. It's so weird how different I was back then. Like... It's almost embarrassing.. I guess because I stayed quiet about my problems IRL, so I had a habit of getting super emo and whining about literally everything. Either that or being about 85 million times more obnoxious and annoying than I am now.

I thought about taking it down, but decided not to. I've blocked out so much of everything pre-2005 (I remember little snippets here and there and all of the major stuff, but most of it I just don't remember at all), so it's interesting to see what happened in day-to-day life and what I was going through.

I still blog about stuff, but it's either here or on another forum. It's just easier than going elsewhere and having to login and what not. Aside from my cooking blog, that is. And I don't add entries -nearly- as much as I did on Diaryland.

Every now and then I'll physically write in one of my notebooks, but I have to be feeling typically *cough* inspired. Or under the influence of something. And since I never am anymore unless I'm drunk, I'm never inspired to physically write.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-06-2013, 05:24 AM
I keep a writing journal which I'll write down ideas and thoughts occasionally, or do free writing in. I've gone back and looked in some of my many notebooks for that sort of thing from over the years, and I would occasionally just write some personal thoughts in there of feeling kind of down, fears, hopes, etc. Interesting when I'm going through notebooks and one of those pop up and seeing how I have (not) changed in a lot of ways.

I've tried a few times to keep a personal journal, but I'm just not that interested in writing about things going on in my life generally.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 05:36 AM
I thought about taking it down, but decided not to. I've blocked out so much of everything pre-2005 (I remember little snippets here and there and all of the major stuff, but most of it I just don't remember at all), so it's interesting to see what happened in day-to-day life and what I was going through.

I'm the same way. I've forgotten a lot that's happened in my lifetime, so reading over past experiences or days I don't remember is kindof like taking them in again for me.

Freya
09-06-2013, 05:45 AM
I creepily check in on your lj about once a month, shorty.

This is cause they send me too many birthday alerts and you're the only one on my flist that posts anymore

Shorty
09-06-2013, 05:47 AM
It's not creepy if I'm on your list!

Madame Adequate
09-06-2013, 05:53 AM
It is creepy when she prints out every post and pins them on her wall though.

Anyway I don't really keep a journal anymore and also LJ is dead, get over it. xD

Calliope
09-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Livejournal will never die, I was thinking of updating just now to keep the dream alive!!!

When I was a child I had journals but became terrified of my mother finding them, so I would systematically destroy them. LJ is great though because she can't use a computer so I could write whatever I wanted without fear of retaliation.

I think I still feel terribly self-conscious about the act of putting physical pen to paper, but LJ works me for me :D

Faris
09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Aside from LJ, no. I really don't like writing my personal thoughts down.

Agent Proto
09-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I've had an LiveJournal, but I never really used it as a journal much anyway. I used to but gradually used it less and less then I eventually removed it completely. I wasn't really one to write in diaries or journals myself, since I couldn't find the right things to say and I never really had an eventful life. Sure I had run-ins and problems but nothing worth writing down in words. I'm pretty lousy in that sense.

Formalhaut
09-06-2013, 03:52 PM
I keep my thoughts and feelings in my head.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I keep my thoughts and feelings in my head.

Best to bottle them up really. Wouldn't want to risk them getting out.

Shauna
09-06-2013, 06:09 PM
I used LJ quite a bit up until a year or so ago. In the later times it was one update every few months or so in which I would just... blab out everything that's been going on, my various thoughts on feelings on ~life~ and everything that is included. Not done anything recently because... nothing has been happening really since I left uni. xD

Citizen Bleys
09-07-2013, 12:43 AM
I just carve the names of my victims directly onto my arm.

Heath
09-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I used my LJ regularly from about 2003 - 2009, and I used to like reading other people's entries. I posted for the first time since university last week, and found it a surprisingly cathartic experience. Slightly tempted to start using it again but, alas, no one else really uses it these days, and I'm not sure I want to start moaning about work on it.

Though revisiting entries from my teenage years was like drinking a cocktail of angst, cringeworthiness, and laughter on the rocks.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I have tried to keep a journal multiple times. I tend to fail when I do though. I usually just forget to write in it and then remember it months later.
Though when I was deployed to Afghanistan I kept one fairly regularly. That is the only thing in it is my experiences there. I think I even let my family read it. I have it in a box somewhere.
I tried keeping one recently, since my big break up, But I keep forgetting about it. Plus I don't have anything interesting to add to it.

Rantz
09-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I've tried keeping journals and stuff but yeah, like some have said the whole writing my thoughts down thing just doesn't work for me.

Pike
09-08-2013, 09:53 PM
I got my first blank journal as a present when I was eight years old and I've basically been journaling on and off since then. Originally it was actually in pen and paper and then it moved on to Livejournal in about 2004, which I faithfully updated until I finally quit it for good early this year. :tongue: Made a "goodbye and thanks for all the fish" entry and everything. So now I guess I am not doing any journaling. I'd start again but I'm lazy.

Fun fact: Probably 75% of my journal entries involve videogames. Hell even my very first journal entries were nothing more than "I GOT TO THE VANILLA DOME IN SUPER MARIO WORLD TODAY :hyper: " I have this one entry that is dedicated completely to breaking some personal record in Uniracers. And several dozens dedicated to describing my Pokemon team at the time in great detail.

Calliope
09-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Even though we're not LJ friends, that still makes me sad Pike ;_;

Pike
09-09-2013, 06:21 AM
I'd be willing to start LJ'ing again if other people were :shifty: Link (http://pikestaff.livejournal.com) by the way!

supernaps
09-16-2013, 12:05 AM
I was never much of a journal fan, till I stumbled across LJ many years ago; it first started as a keeper of animanga/videogames thoughts-watching-playing-progress, but it did become a bit of personal as time went on.
I don't use it as much as I used to, (mostly commenting on communities I follow now) but I would never take it down or anything, memories are important (and I've made some pretty great friends along the way, and actually met a couple) and it's refreshing to go back sometimes and see how life has evolved (or not, lol) and stuff.

It is sad though, that the golden era of LJ is gone, I guess all good things must come to an end- damn, remembering the 2007-2009 days, with CLAMP, Geass, Gundam etc fandoms on the explode, those were some pretty awesome days, they truly were.

Aulayna
09-16-2013, 12:11 AM
I used to use LiveJournal all the time for a good 4 or 5 years but then I just took to internalising everything really as a lot of it really was just angst.

yukina
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Every year, I get a planner that I plan to use as a journal and do well for a month or so. Then my OC-ness kicks me in the behind and I start lagging behind dates and before I know it, it's gathering dust in a corner. I have a beautiful leather journal for the same reason with only 5 pages filled. Me and my short attention span. >.<
I do write literary stuff in a blog though. :)

Jiro
09-18-2013, 06:54 AM
I used to use LiveJournal all the time for a good 4 or 5 years but then I just took to internalising everything really as a lot of it really was just angst.

This, plus laziness.

Drift
09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
I've got an LJ which i use to check on people who still use it, I used to post there but nowadays I have my own blog where I spout when I can be bothered or want to.

Rostum
09-18-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't think I'd ever want to put a journal up for everyone to see, or even have it online at all. However, I used to keep a dream journal, and noticed a major rise in dream recall and being able to identify signs that I was dreaming (yay lucid dreaming!). That's about it though, it was too much to keep up with and I'd eventually just want to sleep.

Freya
09-19-2013, 02:27 AM
I wrote in mine for you sarah. :kaoclove:

Jess
09-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I have tried to keep a diary in the past, and I have failed. I usually gave up after about a week.

I used to have LiveJournal and whilst I posted a few times, I mostly just used it to be nosey about everybody else's lives. :jess:

Loony BoB
09-22-2013, 06:02 PM
I plan on cross-posting my massive post into LiveJournal in the coming days, and I continue to use it as a means of getting my thoughts out from time to time. I've found in recent years I prefer when possible to speak to people rather than typing out entries, though - so I've written the odd letter (most are unsent because I'm awful) and have made many a phonecall instead. Still, I phoned a lot more when I was making LJ entries more, so that's not really an excuse! I think the main thing is that I can't access LJ at work anymore. I do still check it every other day. I'm not as much of a commenter as I once was, but I still make the odd one when I feel I have something vaguely relevant or useful to say.