PDA

View Full Version : Travel Woes

Shiny
09-06-2013, 06:46 AM
I am going to California in a few days and I cannot tell you the amount of annoyance with packing I'm having. I haven't been on a plane in years so these new guidelines are new to me. I had to go out and buy travel size things to items I already owned just so they can fit in a specifically size plastic zip lock bag. Why does the size even matter? Basically, smurf you TSA. Now I have to go out and buy plastic bags because I only have gallon size and I only need one friggin' bag.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 07:10 AM
I am struggling with the same crap right now with toiletries. I don't want to check my bag on an international flight because it is a huge pain in the ass and I am mortified of a delayed arrival with it or worse, getting lost.

There is no way I can fit a week's worth of hairspray, shampoo and conditioner into one tiny little bag in addition to makeup, moisturizer and perfume that is already going in there. So I will just have to buy that stuff while I am in another country, which bugs me because I don't want to have to worry about stupid stuff like this while traveling. :| But you don't have to go buy bags, silly! They have them there at the security checkpoint where you can fit all your stuff into it.

Additionally, I am really, really struggling with trying to not over-pack.

Calliope
09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
The only travel woe I have is that I can't afford to travel abroad.

Sarah, I am willing to help you pack via PM!

Shorty
09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
oh hell yeah, expect a big ole list in your inbox this weekend!

Calliope
09-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Challenge accepted. For one thing, no one needs hairspray.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 07:30 AM
I do. :colbert:

Faris
09-06-2013, 10:48 AM
For my cat's travel I went back and fourth between the pet store and cargo to make sure I had the right sized carrier for travel weeks before my flight to the UK. I got the ok from three people that the size was acceptable. When I picked up Riley from animal reception (after she was held for three days for not having one little itty bit of information. I don't know why they bothered faxing my vet in Canada on Saturday when clearly a quick phone call got them the information they needed on Tuesday :irked:) the person placed her at my feet and said "Here are your documents and by the way the carrier is too small, don't use it again for air travel"

Before any of you say something, I didn't want to put her in cargo, it's just the UK's crazy rules that say she can't travel with me in the cabin.

Formalhaut
09-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I'll be travelling to university on the 15th. It's not the packing or anything. I just know arrivals day will be chaos for a hour or so. Im hardly looking forward to it.

noxious.sunshine
09-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I flew to Jerzey once. I bought empty travel-sized bottles to fill up instead of wasting money on actual filled up ones.

But then I realized that it just wouldn't work 'cuz I have way too much hair and I'd have to pack eleventy billion of them, so I was stuck packing full-sized everything and checking my -1- suitcase. My makeup .. I can't remember if I had it in a plastic baggy in my purse or not .. Seems like I did. Then again, it was just a domestic flight.

Thankfully with SouthWest, your 1st checked bag is free, so it wasn't a huge deal.

On the other hand, I hear you can have 3 inch knives on hand again!

Shiny
09-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I am overpacking on tolietries. My body is needy.

More travel woes has to do with rental car places not accepting debit cards, only credit. Fuck you Enterprise.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't generally pack toiletries. The only essentials I bring are a decent disposable razor, toothbrush, and hair pomade. I only bring what I really need.

The only real air travel woe I have to deal with now is trying to not have an anxiety attack with all those stupid people around.

noxious.sunshine
09-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I hate flying. With a passion.

I stay nervous the entire time.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't get nervous, I get motion sick. Almost every time. :barf:

noxious.sunshine
09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Hahaha. Yep. I have to get trashed and pass out. Or pop a xanax. Whatever.

I told Jay I'm not flying allllll the way to the Philippines. He'll have to find a boat to float me over on. At least I can swim if the damn thing sinks. Although Megalodon is out there somewhere. *shudders*

Calliope
09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't get nervous, I get drunk!

Shorty
09-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Alcohol only seems to make to make it worse in the past few years. :(

Slothy
09-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Is there anything that doesn't make you motion sick?

I don't really have any travel woes aside from not having the money for it. I pack light, I'm not afraid of flying or anything like that. I can get kind of bored if I'm stuck in an airport waiting for a flight for a while, but that's about it, and easily remedied with a book or my PSP.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Standing still doesn't make me motion sick.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 07:25 PM
You poor girl.

noxious.sunshine
09-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Occupying yourself in an airport is easy.

Go get drunk or sleep.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I dislike sleep and booze costs money.

Calliope
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Airport anything is not cheap, but there are plenty of other options to keep one occupied: People-watching, window-shopping, reading, journalling/sketching, and any combination of calling people/playing videogames/listening to music that your electronic devices may allow. Remember to stretch, stay hydrated, wear comfortable and easily-removed shoes, and try to get some rest on your flight. Throat lozenges work wonders for nausea and popping ears. Travel safely!

And you don't need hairspray :stare:

noxious.sunshine
09-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Sure it's expensive! I think I spent like $40 on like . 4 large draft domestic beers at Philly airport XD and then another $20 on wine elsewhere. Well spent though. I was pretty well buzzed.

Madame Adequate
09-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Being over 6 feet tall makes flying in poor class really uncomfortable, but aside from that the only thing I really mind about travel is going through customs and immigration because those guys are assholes. :irked:

Spuuky
09-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I can pack for a trip to anywhere, of any length, in one backpack. I don't find it difficult or stressful at all.

Shiny
09-07-2013, 01:00 AM
I need my hairspray because it's the only weapon TSA will allow me to have. *SPRAYS U*

Also alcohol and flying should not happen, but my hairspray also has about 98% alcohol content if I do need it...

Shorty
09-07-2013, 01:01 AM
I've passed lighters through the TSA before. Those folks are not thorough.

Shiny
09-07-2013, 01:04 AM
lol not surprised except I am one of those people who are unlucky and get someone who's having a bad day and just wants to be a dick.

TSA actually allows cuticle cutters...wtf...you don't allow straight edges, but you allow sharp ass cuticle cutters?!

yukina
09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Packing because I tend to forget things. And I'm a crammer by nature so I always put it off until the last possible minute.

Also, immigration. I can't help it if I look like a 12-year-old even if I'm of legal age already but the way I keep getting harassed by them during international travel, it's as if they expect me to do illegal work abroad for some sleazy company or something. Granted they ARE doing their job but I'm just pissy whenever it happens to me.

Jiro
09-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Man all you need is one change of clothes. Lugging all that excess shit around the US with me was horrible, I regret being prepared because it was super overprepared. At least I wasn't cold though.

Raine
09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
I'll be travelling alone for the first time, so I'm kinda stressed out. But I'm also looking forward to it. As I always need lots of shampoos, make-up and stuff I didnt even think about pushing everything in my hand luggage. I need a big huge, half-empty suitcase,yes.
I always make packing lists, it helps me to calm down.
For the boredom while waiting at the airport: Books. Always help.

Cuchulainn
09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I love everything about travelling except customs. Fuck customs.

Actually I get travel fatigue sometimes that's a bit shit. Customs & travel fatigue. Fuck em both.

Pike
09-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I love everything about travelling except customs. Fuck customs.

yeah basically this

last time I tried to come back to the US they kept hounding me about where I worked, how long I'd worked there and so forth. dude guys I have a US passport just let me back into my country already

Shiny
09-13-2013, 01:43 AM
TSA sucks. They make you pack things in to small quart size bags and then don't even check them. I am also sure that I could have gotten away with packing alcohol and water.