PDA

View Full Version : First World Gaming Problems

Iceglow
09-06-2013, 10:57 PM
What's your biggest first world gaming problem? For example mine is on Far Cry 3 I didn't want to advance the storyline just yet but because I've got $10,000 cash and a pack half full of loot to sell I have no other choice!

Pike
09-07-2013, 01:52 AM
What's your biggest first world gaming problem?

I have about 200 unplayed games on Steam. :crying:

TrollHunter
09-07-2013, 04:16 AM
I only have 3 consoles and 2 portable gaming systems because my third one broke.
WOE IS ME

Madame Adequate
09-08-2013, 09:48 PM
My computer and consoles/TV are on opposite sides of the room so it's a pain if I want to play the latter while still using the former.

Pete for President
09-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Currently living with a couple of which the lady does nothing else but play Call of Duty. Get home at 6PM, she's playing. Go to bed at 11PM, still playing. It's getting on my nerves!

Psychotic
09-09-2013, 07:32 AM
They're making newer and better consoles that I could afford but I don't want to buy because I'm happy with things they are and I wish they'd all just stop and make this gen the last.

Pheesh
09-09-2013, 10:27 AM
GTAV is coming before the next gen of consoles and not being released on PC (yet) so I had to pre-order it for PS3 and that means I'll end up buying another copy of the same game for either next gen consoles or PC.

Mirage
09-09-2013, 12:00 PM
My computer and consoles/TV are on opposite sides of the room so it's a pain if I want to play the latter while still using the former.

This problem. Worst problem.

Slothy
09-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Some people would say get a laptop. Those people are wrong and will never understand why. I'd personally re-organize so I could have my TV next to my monitor, but space may be an issue.

Denmark
09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
i have to go to work instead of being able to play video games all day like I could when I was unemployed :(

Del Murder
09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I've played all the PS3 games I wanted to play. Thankfully EoFF gave me some good suggestions of gems I may have overlooked.

I also have too many games on 3DS to play.

Pike
09-10-2013, 12:44 AM
i have to go to work instead of being able to play video games all day like I could when I was unemployed :(

Last time I was unemployed all I played was WoW. What a waste. I could've played all sorts of other games. :(

Mirage
09-10-2013, 12:49 AM
I know that feel. Except with FFXI.

Madame Adequate
09-10-2013, 03:59 AM

Some people would say get a laptop. Those people are wrong and will never understand why. I'd personally re-organize so I could have my TV next to my monitor, but space may be an issue.

I wish I could but yes space is the issue :(

Mo-Nercy
09-10-2013, 11:26 AM
It seems I never get a chance to finish games anymore. There are three reasons for this:
1) New game comes out. I must buy this and play it immediately. Might even finish it.
2) Feeling nostalgic and some game from 2-3 generations ago gets yet another run.
3) Something in real life happened to one of the players simulated in a sports game I have. I have to adjust my team accordingly.

Jiro
09-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Games are released here later than other places. Our internet isn't good enough for me to play online. I'm too busy attending tertiary education to play vidya.

Laddy
09-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I like RPG's, but most RPG's aren't RPG enough. :(

Slothy
09-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Games are released here later than other places. Our internet isn't good enough for me to play online. I'm too busy attending tertiary education to play vidya.

You forgot that your games are more expensive too. A lot more expensive. For no other reason than companies can get away with charging those prices.

Jiro
09-12-2013, 07:57 AM

You forgot that your games are more expensive too. A lot more expensive. For no other reason than companies can get away with charging those prices.

Pretty much killing my passion for gaming. It's outrageous.

Mirage
09-12-2013, 02:07 PM
How much do they cost?

Jiro
09-12-2013, 02:21 PM
The prices have subsided back to $99 a pop. This was worse when the Aussie Dollar was beating the USD and we were paying $110 for a new game, so at least it's "improved." Still paying much more than we should, outrageous.

Slothy
09-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Yep. And the worst part is that you pay the same for digital games since all prices are set by the publisher and who the hell would buy in store if they were cheaper?

Mirage
09-12-2013, 02:33 PM
99 australian dollars is exactly as much as games in Norway cost, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is :p. Unless you make a lot less money in Australia. Do you?

Jiro
09-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't know what the cost of living is compared to Norway. How much does a snickers bar cost?

Either way I'd suggest we're both being screwed by the power duo UK-USA markets.

Mirage
09-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, for starters, 25% of that is value added tax, which is usually a lot lower in the US, depending on state. A snickers bar, I dunno, they come in various sizes. Let's try a 0.5l coca cola bottle instead. 2.3-2.5 USD, roughly. However, you can't really use just a single commodity to compare prices. Many factors can influence prices of individual items.

Madame Adequate
09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah you guys are all being fucked over, games cost about £35-40 or $50-60 in the UK and US respectively.

Slothy
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Thing is, the prices for Australia were pretty much the same when the value of the US dollar was significantly higher than the Australian dollar. Higher prices made sense then since the Australian dollar wasn't worth much. Then the Australian dollar hit par or better with the US dollar so prices should have been able to go down. But they didn't because people had been paying them for years and publishers saw a great opportunity to gouge a whole country.

Madame Adequate
09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
In videogames, currency changes take FOREVER to filter through even if they're not deliberately trying to gouge people.

Quindiana Jones
09-12-2013, 05:57 PM
99 australian dollars is exactly as much as games in Norway cost, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is :p. Unless you make a lot less money in Australia. Do you?

Poor example. Norway has an astonishingly high standard of living, at an astonishingly high cost. Fortunately, you're paid, on average, astonishingly high wages compared to other countries. ;)

Mirage
09-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah you guys are all being fucked over, games cost about £35-40 or $50-60 in the UK and US respectively.

You say that as if you don't think I know what games cost in other countries ;o

I Took the Red Pill
09-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Obviously it comes up a lot because we're on a video game forum, but most everything costs more in Australia and Norway.

Purchasing power parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity#OECD_comparative_price_levels)

Of course it's not the only factor in play here. Taxes are higher and, as others have said, the AUD surpassing the USD is fairly recent and an economy doesn't change overnight (at the micro-, consumer-level, anyways). But PPP is undoubtedly a huge factor and Norway and Australia are 1 and 3 respectively on that chart.

black orb
09-13-2013, 04:12 AM
>>> Third world gaming problem:
I have to pay like $70 for a game that cost $15 in USA...

now go and smurf yourselves first worlders!! you dont have problems at all..:luca:

Mirage
09-13-2013, 04:25 AM
yeah redpill, I was expecting the two countries to be reasonably close.

Elite Lord Sigma
09-14-2013, 03:07 PM
This one's not strictly gaming related, but it grinds my gears when I'm about to sit down for an extended gaming session, and I realize that I left my drink in the other room.

Masamunemaster
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
>>> Third world gaming problem:
I have to pay like $70 for a game that cost $15 in USA...

now go and smurf yourselves first worlders!! you dont have problems at all..:luca:

Send someone you trust here the money and have them ship it back for you, would end up paying an extra 10 or so, but would be alot cheaper.

Hollycat
09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
I collected every gem in Gravity Rush and now there is literally nothing to do.
I can only play as catwoman after I beat Arkham city.
The gun I found in borderlands is too strong. I've breezed through the game using it from level 25 to level 40 so far.

Aulayna
10-20-2013, 11:28 AM
For ages I didn't realise what a Quick Time Event was. I always associated QuickTime as the media player alternative way back in the Windows 95 days. Anytime someone mentione Quick Time Events I was like "what does that have to do with games, is it crashing when you're watching stuff.. who even uses QuickTime anymore?"

Prime example of QTE from Win 95

http://telcontar.net/store/archive/CrashGallery/images/crash/u/apple_quicktime.jpg

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-27-2013, 04:41 AM
First World EoFF Gaming Problem:

The only notification I get from Triple Triad is the automated response telling me I lost yet another card :(

My deck what is it.

Mirage
10-27-2013, 07:38 PM
First world gaming problem:

I can afford to buy way more games than I have time to play.

Shoeberto
10-28-2013, 06:09 PM
They're making newer and better consoles that I could afford but I don't want to buy because I'm happy with things they are and I wish they'd all just stop and make this gen the last.
This is why I'm going almost exclusively to PC gaming and just hoping my favorite publishers come with me. My fiancee will be pretty unhappy if I hoarde another console and mothball my old device and game collection. At least on Steam/GoG I can horde games without taking up physical shelf space!

Bunny
10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
My XBox 360 has a disc read error that happens occasionally make it somewhat difficult to easily use the system. But I have too many other games to play that I can't be bothered to fix it.

Loony BoB
10-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Playing FFXIV, kicking big boss butt, gotta dodge all these whirlwinds.

Danielle buzzes to be let into the flat.

=|

Iceglow
10-29-2013, 01:55 AM
not having a 3DS anymore, preventing me from playing Pokemon X or Y like the cool kids are.

Vyk
10-29-2013, 02:34 AM
My girlfriend and I are running out of quality co-op games to play because we've slowly collected and conquered them all~ Sad though..