PDA

View Full Version : How extensive is your traveling? Which state/province was least pleasant?

Xaven
09-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I travel a lot in summer time! Do you travel? Your number will tell!

US states/territories count as 1
Mexican states count for 0.1
Canadian provinces/territories count for 0.01 because provinces
Other North American countries count for 100!
Intercontinental travel doesn't count!

I've visited 33.11 states! ^o^

Louisiana is the worst! Mud everywhere, the water has the consistency of milk, humidity, invasive frogs, and dilapidated infrastructure made my time there the most regrettable day of my whole summer!

noxious.sunshine
09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I have been to.... Goodness.

32 total states.

That's not to say that I've been able to stop and sight see or do touristy things when I went to each state. I went with my dad in his big truck when I was little pretty often and so he was always on a schedule. Every now and then we would be able to stop and do something fun - if he was able to park his truck & trailer close to somewhere, but the biggest fun for me was when he would treat me to a night in a nice hotel room instead of sleeping in his sleeper. We would go swimming in the pool, then order room service in the room and get movies on pay-per-view.

He'd bring his "shaving kit" in along with shorts & a t-shirt to sleep in and his clothes for the next day and I would lug in my little Spotty Dotty Suitcase with -my- clothes and my barbies and coloring books and stuff and I would unpack -everything-. I would put something in each dresser drawer. It was soo much fun.

Mirage
09-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I've been in two states! Louisiana and... i forgot. Probably Mississippi. I changed planes in Minnesota if that counts!

Cuchulainn
09-07-2013, 01:04 PM
sorry yanks but travelling state to state is not proper travelling. Yea the miles racked up can be big but you're basically encounterign the same culture everywhere you go. It only counts if you travel abroad.

Quindiana Jones
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Five or six. Couple of Canadian parts.

Agent Proto
09-07-2013, 01:21 PM
120.2 visited twenty states, the Bahamas, and visited mexico twice. Tijuana and Cancun.

Shauna
09-07-2013, 03:20 PM
:colbert:

Formalhaut
09-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Erm... Based on that scoring, 0. I've never been travelling really. The only country I've been to was France, Paris on a school trip.

Faris
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM

I should probably have seen more of Canada. Oh well maybe later.

Denmark
09-07-2013, 04:29 PM
lol at the scoring system (dat 'murica bias)

i've been to something like 32 states i think: Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

4 Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec.

No countries other than the US and Canada.

Shorty
09-07-2013, 04:41 PM
sorry yanks but travelling state to state is not proper travelling. Yea the miles racked up can be big but you're basically encounterign the same culture everywhere you go. It only counts if you travel abroad.

How incredibly wrong you are. America is a culture in itself, yes, but there are smaller cultures within that culture. Miami culture is not the same as Vegas culture, New York culture is not the same as LA culture, San Francisco culture is not the same as New Orleans culture. It's quite an achievement to visit all fifty states, and you saying it doesn't count is ridiculous. :p

Eleven states (all in the West), Mexico, London, and around mid-southish Sweden.

Slothy
09-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Oh look, Cuch is making stupid comments and generalizations about Americans. Someone mark the calendar, we might never see that happen again. :exdee: He might as well try to claim all of Canada has the exact same culture. Sorry, but culture is more than TV shows and Hollywood movies. You can't separate people by thousands of kilometres and not have cultural differences spring up over time. But I guess it's not super surprising that someone living on a relatively small island on the other side of the Atlantic might not get that. :p

So far I've only been to all of the provinces from Ontario east, and Maine and Florida in the US.

noxious.sunshine
09-07-2013, 05:50 PM
According to my dad, I've traveled a total of 1 or 2 million miles in my life. He's got around 10 million and my mom has like 6 - 8.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Intercontinental travel doesn't count?! That just seems silly.

I have been all over California, Washington, and Oregon extensively. I have also traveled to Arizona and New Mexico, and Nevada, and Texas, and Idaho, and Florida, and Georgia, and Alabama, and Louisiana, and Mississippi, and South Carolina, and now I live in North Carolina. Oh, I have also been to Alaska. And Maine. And Virginia.
I think thats all.
But I have been to Canada on a day trip and I have been to Mazatlan and Guadalajara, Mexico. I spent about a week in Guadalajara.

Abroad I have been to Japan, Thailand, the Philippines, Germany though I was just passing though, Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan. Obviously the military gets me around a bit.

Slothy
09-07-2013, 06:25 PM
According to my dad, I've traveled a total of 1 or 2 million miles in my life. He's got around 10 million and my mom has like 6 - 8.

If you want total distance traveled, you'll never go farther than what you travel on this nice little space ship we call Earth. Over 194 billion kilometers around the galactic center and counting.

Cuchulainn
09-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Oh look, Vivi22 has a completely ripped arsehole over something I've said. mark the calendar, we might never see that happen again.

if you believe travelling round the same country is an an adequate experience of different cultures you are probably an idiot and definately need shot in the feet.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-07-2013, 07:18 PM
It is hard for me to get a good count just because I did a lot of travelling when i was pretty young and can't remember where all I've been to. I can account for 25 states... it's probably somewhere between 25-28 states. I've also barely been across the border into Canada, but I don't really count that.

As for most interesting/least interesting states, that is difficult for me to say. There were some states (Washington for example) where I was only inside an airport, and that was pretty dull. There were also states that I've only been in a car for and didn't get to actually see much of, and that also was pretty dull unless I was hanging out with friends. Of states I have actually explored, I'd say Kansas was the most boring. This is mainly because I used to have to go there very frequently to see family, and stopping by Wichita doesn't feel that much different from being in KC, really.

The places I've had the most fun in are Ketchikan, Alaska; New Orleans, Louisiana, and wherever I was in Arkansas. The first because it was just really pretty, the second due to just being a fun place to walk around and explore, the last just because of the memories attached to being there for a week with some friends.

Somewhat related, I had the chance to see the Northern Lights while I was in Alaska. My family knew (and knows) that that is one of my goals to accomplish in life; however, when they got to see it, they did not wake me up for it despite me sleeping just a few feet from where they saw it.

Spuuky
09-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Oh look, Vivi22 has a completely ripped arsehole over something I've said. mark the calendar, we might never see that happen again.

if you believe travelling round the same country is an an adequate experience of different cultures you are probably an idiot and definately need shot in the feet.It's OK man, everyone knows that Ireland is basically the equivalent of one mid-range US state. There's no need to be defensive about it.

09-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I totally forgot about the places I liked the most/least. Obviously I absolutely love Washington Oregon and California. Those are my states, I grew up there. So venturing out I found I really like Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia. These states are beautiful and I felt really comfortable there.

I think I liked New Mexico the least. That place is boring. Though you can buy fireworks pretty much everywhere.

Slothy
09-07-2013, 08:21 PM
You struggle with sarcasm Cuch. :roll2

Freya
09-07-2013, 08:40 PM
24 states. Kansas is the worst, it blows. Almost all the states i've been to were in the west. That's not fair since the eastern states are all tiny and small. So You can travel less distance and hit more states.

Rantz
09-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Screw that scoring system, I'm inventing my own based on how awesome the locations were.

Barcelona, Spain
Gran Canaria, Spain
Bern, Switzerland
Basel, Switzerland
Scotland (roadtrip, no cities)
Crete, Greece
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Riga, Latvia
Tempe, Arizona, USA
La Jolla/San Diego, California, USA
Los Angeles, California, USA

So unless my calculations are wrong, I count 371.4 states' worth of travelling.

Shorty
09-07-2013, 09:22 PM
You forgot Santa Barbara!

Jinx
09-07-2013, 09:27 PM
While there definitely is a difference in culture in different regions/states in the US, not everyone who travels does so to experience different cultures. Interstate travelling is more for seeing interesting and beautiful things, and historical things.

I mean, I want to travel to different countries, but it's not to "experience the culture" per say. I want to go and see new and different things. Experiencing the culture is a backseat bonus for me.

Oh, and it's always funny to see someone who lives in the UK say what travel is when you guys think an hour long car ride is a huge deal. xD

Rantz
09-07-2013, 09:29 PM
You forgot Santa Barbara!

Oh yeah, 392.1 states then.

Edit: everybody stop being snooty about what travel is geez

Cuchulainn
09-07-2013, 09:44 PM
While there definitely is a difference in culture in different regions/states in the US, not everyone who travels does so to experience different cultures. Interstate travelling is more for seeing interesting and beautiful things, and historical things.

I mean, I want to travel to different countries, but it's not to "experience the culture" per say. I want to go and see new and different things. Experiencing the culture is a backseat bonus for me.

Oh, and it's always funny to see someone who lives in the UK say what travel is when you guys think an hour long car ride is a huge deal. xD

It's not the distances I'm talking about. We understand full well USA is a big country but as a generation influenced by TV, pretty much anywhere you go within one nation is going to be pretty much the same with slight variations either way. I get the north/south divide. I also get the regional divides and ethnic divides within America but they're just slight variations of politics or habits.

I'm talkiong going somewhere, looking around and thinking 'I've no idea what the smurf is going on, why the wee woman is wearing that or why that we fella is in a mountain with his his hand in the air for 40 years'.

I just like beign out of my comfort zone and beign somewhere completely alien. If you're American, you're pretty much centred no matter where you go within the States.

I don't get why you hoors are so defensive about that.

You struggle with sarcasm Cuch. :roll2

You're obsessed kid. Go have a wee lie down.

[It's OK man, everyone knows that Ireland is basically the equivalent of one mid-range US state. There's no need to be defensive about it.

There is nothing at all defensive about what I'm doing in this thread. Quite the opposite.

Jinx
09-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Because while that may be the purpose of travel for you, that's not the purpose of travel for everyone.

Cuchulainn
09-07-2013, 09:50 PM
So then you say 'Cuch that's not why I travel, i realised America is all pretty much the same with a few variations but I go to see landscapes and meet similar but new ppl'.

NOT

'OMGZ you're soooooooooo wrong, likke America has many different kultures like east and west, and ethnics n such. Y U DO DIS you HATE Americans'

Formalhaut
09-07-2013, 09:53 PM
:eep:

Anyway, moving on, if I did visit America, I'd be torn as to where to head off. New York might be a good start, but then I'd like to meet up with some of you guys, so really I'd have no clue where I'd end up. :p

Jinx
09-07-2013, 09:55 PM
So then you say 'Cuch that's not why I travel, i realised America is all pretty much the same with a few variations but I go to see landscapes and meet similar but new ppl'.

NOT

'OMGZ you're soooooooooo wrong, likke America has many different kultures like east and west, and ethnics n such. Y U DO DIS you HATE Americans'

I'm just requoting my post because apparently you didn't read past the first half of the first sentence.

Spuuky
09-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm willing to accept "America is basically one culture" as long as you are willing to accept that all of Western Europe is also that same one culture that America has.

What I will not accept is if you're going to make any claim like "Texas and Washington are basically the same, but France and Scotland are unique and different."

Globalization is what it is, you and I have access to the same Internet, and it's a much larger driver of cultural identity at this point than television is.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2013, 10:12 PM
If you're staying within the Anglosphere you're still in the same overarching culture and that has nothing whatsoever to do with how well-traveled you are.

Xaven
09-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Non-North American countries count as 1000, and entering a continent other than your own counts as 10000!

New score: 11033.11! I went to Argentina to visit the motherland :D

Tempe, Arizona, USA

Lol @ Tempe. Were you there visiting someone at Arizona State University? I lived there for 10 weeks!

Shauna
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Does living in a non-NA country count as 1000 points? What score do I get for travelling to a state in the USA? Still 1? Your scoring system is difficult to deal with, not living in NA. :p

Spuuky
09-07-2013, 10:18 PM
One million points for anyone who has been to Antarctica.

Xaven
09-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Does living in a non-NA country count as 1000 points? What score do I get for travelling to a state in the USA? Still 1? Your scoring system is difficult to deal with, not living in NA. :p

Yes; 10001; figure it out for my logic is flawless!

Cuchulainn
09-07-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm willing to accept "America is basically one culture" as long as you are willing to accept that all of Western Europe is also that same one culture that America has.

What I will not accept is if you're going to make any claim like "Texas and Washington are basically the same, but France and Scotland are unique and different."

Globalization is what it is, you and I have access to the same Internet, and it's a much larger driver of cultural identity at this point than television is.

Nope. Mainland Europe is massively different to Ireland & the UK. Ireland & the UK (and even maybe Australia, Canada & USA) is basically the same, I'll accept that. But in everytrhign else you're as wrong as you are American.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Oh also for the actual topic:

England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Republic of Ireland
Spain
Canada (Just stopped in Toronto Airport but I saw a Tim Hortons there so it counts)
USA:
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
Missouri
Texas
Atlanta
Illinois
Indiana
Montana
Minnesota

Soon to be added: Utah, Washington State, possibly Wyoming. Most want to visit among others: California, Alaska.

The best state is Montana, the worst and only one I wish to actively avoid is Illinois, everywhere else I've been has been pretty great.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
One million points for anyone who has been to Antarctica.

I know of a dude who was an IT guy at Amundsen-Scott Polar Station so I figure he'd win. :p

Old Manus
09-07-2013, 10:41 PM
I'd have scored 0 were it not for a brief stint in Barbados. Y'all need to check your North American privilege.

Rantz
09-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Tempe, Arizona, USA

Lol @ Tempe. Were you there visiting someone at Arizona State University? I lived there for 10 weeks!

Nah, I was visiting Shorty!

09-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Oh, I forgot. I have also been to South Korea. And North Korea a little bit.

Rebellious Eagle
09-08-2013, 02:59 AM
I've been to only 14 states and DC, I think? And I've never been to Mexico or Canada, so I'm not well-traveled. My favorite state I've been to is probably Hawaii for obvious reasons. Delaware is the worst state I've visited. So dull there. At least they don't have sales tax there.

Miriel
09-08-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm talkiong going somewhere, looking around and thinking 'I've no idea what the smurf is going on, why the wee woman is wearing that or why that we fella is in a mountain with his his hand in the air for 40 years'.

I just like beign out of my comfort zone and beign somewhere completely alien. If you're American, you're pretty much centred no matter where you go within the States.

Spoken like one who really doesn't know what he's talking about. There is an unbelievable amount of diversity, real true, beyond the scope of what you've experienced in your normal life type diversity in the US.

The fact that you don't think so and you seem to think everything is pretty homogenous makes it clear that you don't know much about the American landscape. Yeah, if you visit San Francisco and then you visit New York, there's going to be a lot of similarities. Because ALL metropolitan cities have similarities. But you're bonkers if you think that someone from Montana visiting Los Angeles isn't going to experience a big culture shock.

And if you're constantly confused about what's happening when you're traveling, then you're probably doing it wrong. I've been to Europe and Asia and Mexico and very rarely was I struck with the feeling of "I have no idea what the smurf is going on". Although I have felt that way visiting some of the flyover states in the US.

If anything, things I see in San Francisco still make me go WTF more than anything I've seen in Paris or Florence.

If you go to certain areas of the US, you'll find entire neighborhoods where English isn't even the primary language that's spoken. If that doesn't say something about diversity, I don't know what does.

Jiro
09-08-2013, 06:43 AM
what like 13.01

Jessweeee♪
09-08-2013, 08:15 AM
I've traveled to many US states and to Mexico, but I've only really experienced Texas, Illinois, and Florida. I'd say Illinois was the worst because people were just really unfriendly. I think it's the cold.

Old Manus
09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I dunno, I still don't think that you can claim with a straight face that the difference in cultures across the USA is similar (or imo, anywhere close) to that of the same land area in Europe. We're talking a landmass that has been populated, fought over and written about for literally thousands of years. Each country has its own independent history and culture that has been built up over centuries. Did the Mongols bother Great Britain that much? The Ukrainians are descendants of them. Large sections of Europe spent a long time under communist rule and the effects are still very visible. The ancient Greeks invented western civilisation.

That's to say nothing of the dramatic differences in weather and climate.

If you go to certain areas of the US, you'll find entire neighborhoods where English isn't even the primary language that's spoken. That's almost like Europe!

EDIT: Okay I reread through the thread and nobody is really making a point about Europe not being diverse. I'll still remain skeptical that NA countries are that different compared to other continents, though.

Shiny
09-08-2013, 10:33 AM

I disagree. California and Florida culture are very different from the East Coast. I even see cultural differences with states like Philly and Vermont.

I think of various differences culturally and socially between California and New York even though I have only been here a day. I think the most jarring thing is the huge difference in time pacing and the lack of Chinese restaurants.

Parker
09-08-2013, 10:55 AM
lmao if you actually visit other places for culture and history rather than just to tell people at home all the cool culturally-interesting and historically-fascinating places you've been

Mirage
09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
time to lmao then

Cuchulainn
09-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I dunno, I still don't think that you can claim with a straight face that the difference in cultures across the USA is similar (or imo, anywhere close) to that of the same land area in Europe. We're talking a landmass that has been populated, fought over and written about for literally thousands of years. Each country has its own independent history and culture that has been built up over centuries. Did the Mongols bother Great Britain that much? The Ukrainians are descendants of them. Large sections of Europe spent a long time under communist rule and the effects are still very visible. The ancient Greeks invented western civilisation.

That's to say nothing of the dramatic differences in weather and climate.

If you go to certain areas of the US, you'll find entire neighborhoods where English isn't even the primary language that's spoken. That's almost like Europe!

EDIT: Okay I reread through the thread and nobody is really making a point about Europe not being diverse. I'll still remain skeptical that NA countries are that different compared to other continents, though.

Just ignore them. Their 'arguments' are all bollox. There's a part of belfast where they all speak Polish....I suppose I'll get my fill of diversity there. Complete balls.

Yea there's slight differences in pacing, food, traditions etc but you get those slgiht differecnes everywhere, even in Ireland. In England the North/South divide is still there but you're pretty much in the same place.

Slothy
09-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Just ignore them. Their 'arguments' are all bollox.

Says the man who claimed all parts of the US are the same and you can only get cultural diversity by traveling to another country. :roll2

Not tired of putting your foot in your mouth I see. :p

Denmark
09-08-2013, 03:55 PM
lmao if you think that http://i.imgur.com/3X3GbBS.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/DqyiGJF.jpg, which I'd like to point out are both in the same state, are similar culturally. there's more to culture than just art, architecture, language, etc

theundeadhero
09-08-2013, 04:00 PM
I stopped counting my score at 1300. I've been to more countries than most people have states.
Cuch, I have no idea why you're arguing so strongly about an opinion with no experience to back it up. The differences between Arizona and Missouri are just as much as the differences between Germany and South Korea. I've been to all four. Some things are the same everywhere they go and others are different. I've been to your country, several other European countries, several Asian countries, and several states. America has regions where things are alike, the same as how things things in Western Europe or Eastern Asian countries can be similar, but American regions can be as varied as Western Europe is to Eastern Asia.

Cuchulainn
09-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I stopped counting my score at 1300. I've been to more countries than most people have states.
Cuch, I have no idea why you're arguing so strongly about an opinion with no experience to back it up. The differences between Arizona and Missouri are just as much as the differences between Germany and South Korea. I've been to all four. Some things are the same everywhere they go and others are different. I've been to your country, several other European countries, several Asian countries, and several states. America has regions where things are alike, the same as how things things in Western Europe or Eastern Asian countries can be similar, but American regions can be as varied as Western Europe is to Eastern Asia.

A whole lot of nope all over that. The differences between Arizona and Missori are the same as the differences between Germany and Korea? Lay off the meth.

Spuuky
09-08-2013, 09:35 PM
A whole lot of nope all over that. The differences between Arizona and Missori are the same as the differences between Germany and Korea? Lay off the meth.Nope. But they're the same as the differences between Germany and Italy.

Miriel
09-08-2013, 11:13 PM
A whole lot of nope all over that. The differences between Arizona and Missori are the same as the differences between Germany and Korea? Lay off the meth.

You keep saying this kind of stupid trout, but how many of the places people are mentioning have you actually visited? I'd love to know if your wacky opinion is based on personal experience or if you're just pulling trout out of your ass with no basis whatsoever.

I mean, have you visited Arizona or Missouri? How many US cities/states have you *actually* visited?

Slothy
09-08-2013, 11:24 PM

That's a nice str awman you're attacking there. Do you get a discount if you buy them in bulk?

Point is, you said something which is objectively false, ignores the 300 or so years of varying history the US has from the time of it's founding, through it's expansion across North America, right into today, and absolutely no one is failing to notice how ignorant you look right now.

No one is saying that there wouldn't be bigger cultural differences between two places like Germany and North Korea than there are between two states. But that's because the rest of us aren't complete morons. But what we are saying, is that to say the entire US has the exact same culture across every town, city, and state is not only false, but just plain shows how ignorant you are about the whole damn country.

I'm with Miriel, I honestly doubt you've had much experience travelling to the US if you honestly believe this sort of nonsense you're spewing. And that you so adamantly defend it just makes it all the more baffling. It's okay to admit you don't really know a lot about the culture in different regions of the US. But please don't go around making blanket statements that are plainly false on the face of them when you don't have the actual knowledge and experience to back it up.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently we have a word filter on [s]trawman. Shame this is one of those times that the original word is wholly accurate and the filter makes it seem like Cuch actually knows what he's talking about.

Spuuky
09-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Yeah, the straw.man filter is incredibly dumb.

Bunny
09-09-2013, 04:02 AM
You people will bicker of damn near anything.

I've been to: North Carolina, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi, Georgia, Maryland, Virginia, Washington D.C., Nebraska, Hawaii, and Kansas. I've also been to Tijuana.

Sephex
09-09-2013, 04:42 AM

YOU WOULD SAY THAT COMING FROM WHEREVER YOU LIVE!

Cuchulainn
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Nothing fills my boots better than watching a bunch of angry, self-righteous, middle-classed, pretentious nerds get all worked up about shit that doesn't even matter.

I'm right, you're all wrong. I'm sorry this pains you all I really am and if I could do anything about it I would. However the fact still remains. If it makes you feel any better I had to admit Ireland is similar to the UK. That was difficult for me to do and saw me clamber out of my comfort zone.

Mirage
09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I've been to the US, Sweden, Denmark, China and Japan!

How many points is that?

Cuchulainn
09-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I've been to the US, Sweden, Denmark, China and Japan!

How many points is that?

1. If you go by the undead fellas reasoning they're all the same place.

Mirage
09-09-2013, 11:32 AM
To be fair, Norway and Sweden is the same place so I shouldn't really have included that.

Cuchulainn
09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Yea Scandinavia probably is.

Also, to Vivi (my obsessed fan), I believe the S-Man filter was added to protect one of your fellow whiners here to protect her from Wesley.

The phrase hoisted by your own petard springs to mind.

Sephex
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Man, this thread got edgy.

Denmark
09-09-2013, 01:54 PM
my username is Denmark, does that get me more points

Cuchulainn
09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Why is it Denmark?

Denmark
09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
i honestly have no idea

Rantz
09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
It's cause he lives in Breine.

Slothy
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Who's bickering? I'm personally having my usual good laugh at Cuch saying the stupidest things and actually believing he's right because, well, he's Cuch so how could he possibly be wrong? Hell, the fact that he actually believes the silly things he says is the funniest part of all.

He's like the crazy uncle at a family reunion that has a bit too much to drink and will tell you some crazy stories, and everyone talks to him and has a good laugh about them, but know he's kind of full of trout.

Cuchulainn
09-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Who's bickering? I'm personally having my usual good laugh at Cuch saying the stupidest things and actually believing he's right because, well, he's Cuch so how could he possibly be wrong? Hell, the fact that he actually believes the silly things he says is the funniest part of all.

He's like the crazy uncle at a family reunion that has a bit too much to drink and will tell you some crazy stories, and everyone talks to him and has a good laugh about them, but know he's kind of full of trout.

You spend way too much of your time replying to what I say to get away with acting like you don't care. You're fooling no one beardy balls.

Rantz
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I'll just get the ruler so we can get this settled once and for all.

Shorty
09-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Knock it off, nerds.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
States: Maine. Though once my cell told me "Welcome to the USA" because I was climbing a mountain near the Vermont-Quebec border, does that count?
Provinces: New Brunswick (born and raised), PEI, Newfoundland, Quebec (currently living), Ontario, Alberta.
Other countries: None.

Score: 1.06

Also, try telling Quebecois that they are like the Rest of Canada (RoC). Especially a sovereignist. It'd be entertaining to say the least.

Oddly enough, I have been to every Atlantic Province except Nova Scotia. I do not know how this happened.

Cuchulainn
09-09-2013, 08:40 PM
I fly over NFL & Labrador all the time and it looks like a big, wet muddy field with no one there. Bye.

Slothy
09-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I fly over NFL & Labrador all the time and it looks like a big, wet muddy field with no one there. Bye.

Me thinks you need to look a bit more closely if you think those two places are wet and muddy. Hint: they're both basically rock and forest.

Shorty
09-09-2013, 09:58 PM
No more off topic posts in this thread. I've got my guns ready.

Freya
09-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Interesting cross culture thing: the black hills of south dakota look almost identical to the black forest of germany.

Source: I left the black hills and proceed to make my trip to Germany. they totally look the same. I wasnt impressed as i should have been apparently.

Also austria's mountains reminded me of the tetons in western wyoming...

Night Fury
09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I've been to Tenerife and Majorca when I was younger, I've also travelled a bit of Scotland and the UK.

Aaaand, I've been to Chiapas and Guatemala in Mexico. And I've also been to Doha and now Australia! :)

Mirage
09-10-2013, 02:54 PM
so you get 0.2 points, congrats!

Shauna
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
She has travelled to two continents aside from her own, so that's worth a few hundred, right?

Mirage
09-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Intercontinental travel doesn't count, it says so in the first post.

Cuchulainn
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Plus Doha don't count as I don't think she left OTBD.

Shauna
09-10-2013, 06:21 PM
There was an addendum later on!

Non-North American countries count as 1000, and entering a continent other than your own counts as 10000!

:3

Mirage
09-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh, OK then. I didn't catch that.

20000 for being to asia and north america.
6000 for Sweden, USA, Denmark, Japan, the Netherlands and China.
2 for having been to Louisiana and Mississippi. I'm not counting places where I didn't leave the airport.

26002 for me.

Although this scoring system is still a bit skewed. I suggest 100 points for continents, 20 for nations, 5 for states/provinces.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Shouldn't it just be mileage-based? I mean, you can drive from one end of Russia to the other, and encounter wildly different cultures, but have stayed on the same "continent" and in the same country. On the other hand, you can drive a tiny loop around Pennsylvania/New York/New Jersey/Maryland/etc and still have been in roughly the same place the whole time.

Cuchulainn
09-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Shouldn't it just be mileage-based? I mean, you can drive from one end of Russia to the other, and encounter wildly different cultures, but have stayed on the same "continent"

Russia spans 2 continents, so ya couldn't.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Shouldn't it just be mileage-based? I mean, you can drive from one end of Russia to the other, and encounter wildly different cultures, but have stayed on the same "continent"

Russia spans 2 continents, so ya couldn't.I find the distinction between Asia and Europe as separate continents to be laughably stupid. It's obviously one landmass, and any decision about where Europe starts and Asia begins is a purely arbitrary one, as Turkey and Russia demonstrate really well.

fire_of_avalon
09-11-2013, 12:46 AM
So I'd avoided this thread because i lead this sad little life and don't go anywhere.

But as an American who has been to a few different states I can say that there is a definite variance in culture between them. I've been to urban and rural location that are totally different. There is a cultural difference between where I live and a highly urbanized state, or a very small state with several metropolitan areas.

But I can also say if you think the cultural difference between my location and, say, Rye's location, is equitable to the cultural difference from, say, South Africa and Poland.... well... uh... no.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 12:49 AM
But I can also say if you think the cultural difference between my location and, say, Rye's location, is equitable to the cultural difference from, say, South Africa and Poland.... well... uh... no.No one made that claim. And, to be fair, not many places can match the cultural differences between South Africa and other parts of South Africa.

fire_of_avalon
09-11-2013, 12:55 AM
My point is that the argument in the extreme on either side of this particular coin ("Western Civilization is totally homogenous! It's all the same!" vs. "AS AN EAST COAST PERSON I WAS IN A DIFFERENT WORLD WHEN I WENT TO SEATTLE") are ridiculous.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 01:18 AM
That's misunderstanding my argument. I didn't say that all of the Western world was the same. My statement is that there's not a greater level of diversity in western Europe than there is within the United States. There are similarities between various regions of the US and differences between them; there are similarities between various regions of western Europe and differences between them.

I don't particularly care whether you want to define those as "one" culture or "multiple" cultures, just that whatever you call them, it needs to be consistent because they're analogous.

theundeadhero
09-11-2013, 05:31 AM
I've lived on three different continents and never had an IT WAS A DIFFERENT WORLD moment. Places are far more alike than people imagine.

Old Manus
09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
My statement is that there's not a greater level of diversity in western Europe than there is within the United States.I don't know how you can sincerely claim this. It's just flat-out wrong.

Jiro
09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Now I have to do more math ugh

Cuchulainn
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
It's a drainage or watershed divide (mountains & rivers) as well as sea. By your distinction the Americas could all be one continent.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 05:27 PM
It's a drainage or watershed divide (mountains & rivers) as well as sea. By your distinction the Americas could all be one continent.Ah, so you say that California is on a different continent than New York, right, given that they're in completely different drainage and watershed zones, separated by multiple large mountain ranges and rivers?

Jiro
09-11-2013, 05:35 PM
3uBcq1x7P34

Parker
09-11-2013, 05:48 PM
this is a truly, truly awful thread

Cuchulainn
09-11-2013, 07:57 PM
It's a drainage or watershed divide (mountains & rivers) as well as sea. By your distinction the Americas could all be one continent.Ah, so you say that California is on a different continent than New York, right, given that they're in completely different drainage and watershed zones, separated by multiple large mountain ranges and rivers?

Your need to appear right in front of others is more pressing than my need. I'm not derailing this again, you made a wee mistake, I corrected it, move on.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Your need to appear right in front of others is more pressing than my need. I'm not derailing this again, you made a wee mistake, I corrected it, move on.There's nothing here about me needing to appear right (although, obviously, I am). If you'd like me to discuss it in private, I'd be welcome to point out your nonsensical inaccuracies and inconsistencies there, instead. Let me know.

fire_of_avalon
09-12-2013, 02:34 AM
That's misunderstanding my argument. I didn't say that all of the Western world was the same. My statement is that there's not a greater level of diversity in western Europe than there is within the United States. There are similarities between various regions of the US and differences between them; there are similarities between various regions of western Europe and differences between them.

I don't particularly care whether you want to define those as "one" culture or "multiple" cultures, just that whatever you call them, it needs to be consistent because they're analogous.

Considering I wasn't addressing your argument at all, nah.

Quindiana Jones
09-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Three continents. I think about fifteen countries. Two Canadian provinces. Five American states. I've also been in disarray, so I guess that makes six. Buh dum tsh.

Around 50,000, right?

Also, you're all a bunch of chicken-chasers. It's like none of you have ever met Cuch before.