PDA

View Full Version : Salad

Shorty
09-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I hate salads made of lettuce. I will eat salads with spinach only.

I hate that pasta salads are called salads. It doesn't make sense. :stare:

Flaming Ice
09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Meat Salad :greenie:

Spuuky
09-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Lettuce comes in many forms. It doesn't have to be iceberg lettuce (which, yes, is just worthless filler).

Loony BoB
09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
What the hell, iceburg lettuce is the best kind of lettuce.

The best salad is clearly potato salad.

Shorty
09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Iceberg sucks.

Slothy
09-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Iceberg is flavourless and basically devoid of nutritional value. Romaine and Baby Spinach are where it's at for salads.

Rantz
09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I like iceberg cause it's fresh and stuff but there are better ones in terms of flavour!

Chris
09-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Crab Salad is to die for.

Inferno
09-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I hate salads made of lettuce. I will eat salads with spinach only.

I hate that pasta salads are called salads. It doesn't make sense. :stare:

What about fruit salads ?

Shorty
09-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Also weird!

Slothy
09-09-2013, 09:18 PM
You don't make salad with fruit. You make a bowl full of fruit with fruit. :colbert:

Inferno
09-09-2013, 09:22 PM
no, you are weird

Shauna
09-09-2013, 10:27 PM
All salads are pretty good. I don't think I'd turn down anything put up in this thread yet. :3

Pheesh
09-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Iceberg lettuce is amazing, baby spinach is okay, rocket is nice but too bitter to just have a bowl full of. Various Italian style salads are the best though, iceberg and red cabbage or tomato and fennel.

And Vivi is officially insane

Iceberg is flavourless and basically devoid of nutritional value.

This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.

noxious.sunshine
09-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Spinach definitely. It's a staple in my fridge. I love spinach so much.

I also can dig romaine lettuce, but I rarely buy it. I'll buy spring mix if i want something different.

I also wont use regular salad dressing. I'll squeeze a bit of lime on top instead and toss it in that.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 02:30 AM
This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.That's just false. Iceberg lettuce has basically zero nutritional value. Please compare the vitamin/nutrient content with, say, romaine lettuce or spinach. Go ahead and post the numbers here for us.

A pretty accurate rule is the whiter the leafy "green" is the less nutritional value it has. And being "low in sodium, fat, and cholesterol" is not "having nutritional value." Air is really low in all three of those.

Pheesh
09-10-2013, 02:36 AM
I didn't say it was better than romaine so there's no reason to compare the two, he said it was devoid of nutritional value and it isn't. (http://m.voices.yahoo.com/veggie-myths-iceberg-lettuce-has-no-nutritional-value-6179632.html)

Slothy
09-10-2013, 02:52 AM
This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.

Iceberg lettuce has less nutritional value compared to any other form of lettuce I know of.

As for the stuff above, I could run through it one at a time if you'd like.
Low in sodium, saturated fat and cholesterol: it's lettuce for one so no trout. Second, none of that actually matters all that much.
Thiamin: This is in pretty much everything you'll eat anyway, but 100g of iceberg lettuce only has 3% of your daily requirement (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2). You'll find almost double the amount in romaine lettuce (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2475/2), quadruple in beef liver (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3469/2), and triple for a 100g steak as well (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/6176/2). It's a source sure, but there's no shortage of better ones for the same mass of food.

Vitamin B6: Iceberg lettuce has 2% of your daily value in 100g. Using the same examples as above, Romaine has 4%, Liver has 51%, and Steak has 22%. If you're concerned about Vitamin B6, then Romaine is literally twice as good as Iceberg, but neither is a good source at all relatively speaking. Unless you like the idea of eating 5kg of Iceberg lettuce a day to get it (a bit of hyperbole there of course).

Iron: So Iceberg comes in at 2%, Romaine at 5%, and both lose quite handily to dead animals. In the case of Iceberg lettuce, it's losing by an order of magnitude or more.

Potassium: You know what, let's skip the percentages. Iceberg has next to nothing again, Romaine is double Iceberg, and the meats coming in at 5 times the amount of potassium. I'm sensing a trend in all of these.

Dietary Fiber is more of the same, though obviously the meat doesn't rank here since meat isn't known for it's fiber content. Vitamin A, Iceberg is at 10%, Romaine at 174%, and Liver at 634%. Vitamin C, Iceberg is at 5%, Romaine at 40%. Or you could just eat a damn orange and get 201%. For Vitamin K, Iceberg is at 30%, but again, eat the same amount of Romaine and you're done for the day. Folate, Iceberg clocks in at 7%, Romaine at 34%, Liver is at a whopping 63%. And finally, for Manganese, the slight edge goes to Romaine, and Liver beats them both and steals their lunch money.

Those are just a few examples, but I think I made my point. Iceberg isn't as good a source for any of those as even Romaine lettuce. And as soon as we bring other foods into the mix we see that for most of those nutrients calling Iceberg a good source is stretching the truth a bit to say the least.

EDIT: I didn't say it was devoid of all nutritional value, I said it basically was. Which most people would rightly take to mean it isn't devoid, but it's close enough that it's not worth bothering with it unless you really, really like eating it. Yes, there's some in there, but it's a terrible source for just about anything the body needs.

Also, don't just go to some random Yahoo Answers page trying to make a point. That person doesn't even say where they're getting their information, nor do they quantify much beyond simply saying "it's good." Pretty much nothing on that page is actually useful for judging Iceberg lettuces nutritional value. You can't just analyze it in a vacuum, you have to look at the actual values and compare to other sources to learn anything meaningful about it.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 02:55 AM
I didn't say it was better than romaine so there's no reason to compare the two, he said it was devoid of nutritional value and it isn't. (http://m.voices.yahoo.com/veggie-myths-iceberg-lettuce-has-no-nutritional-value-6179632.html)But it IS basically devoid of nutritional value. Listen, everything has SOME nutritional value. Iceberg lettuce has massively less than any similar food.

Here's a slightly better source than "voices.yahoo.com":

Show Foods (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3049?qlookup=11252&max=25&man=&lfacet=&new=1)

Shlup
09-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Iceburg lettuce isn't food; it's crunch. Everyone likes crunch though.

I don't usually like pasta salad, but my friend made some for my baby shower and it was amazing.

noxious.sunshine
09-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Iceberg Lettuce is like.. Crunchy Water. XD

Plus it wilts and goes bad a lot quicker once you open the bag up.. If you buy it bagged, anyway. Or at least... That's what -I- always think.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Lettuce wilts more easily with more exposure to air and/or heat. It needs to hold water (which is what causes it in the first place) so exposure to fridge air (which really sucks the moisture out of things) will do it pretty fast.

Formalhaut
09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Holy heck just two pages into a Salad thread and we're all arguing over bloody Iceberg Lettuce :p

I actually happen to like Iceberg lettuce, but really when it comes to salads, I like them simple. I mean, I really don't like Potato Salad. Pasta Salad is palatable to me, but not really what I'd choose to eat.

Slothy
09-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Lettuce is serious business Formy. :colbert:

Inferno
09-10-2013, 08:06 PM
The best salad is clearly potato salad.

No way. Of all the potato salads I've eaten, only one was good... and it's because the real hero of the dish was the bacon. Real chunks of perfectly cripsy and smooth bacon

Denmark
09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Holy heck just two pages into a Salad thread and we're all arguing over bloody Iceberg Lettuce :p

I actually happen to like Iceberg lettuce, but really when it comes to salads, I like them simple. I mean, I really don't like Potato Salad. Pasta Salad is palatable to me, but not really what I'd choose to eat.

increase your posts per page already wtf. 25 posts should never be "2 pages" unless you're on dialup (and when i was i still used 30-50 ppp)

i like salads made of various greens. iceberg lettuce is crunchy.

i don't really care for pasta salad. potato salad is ok but it's not something i'd eat all the time (it also depends on what the potato salad is like)

noxious.sunshine
09-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Lettuce wilts more easily with more exposure to air and/or heat. It needs to hold water (which is what causes it in the first place) so exposure to fridge air (which really sucks the moisture out of things) will do it pretty fast.

Right, but even with the bag opened and then like folded over (like my dad has a bad habit of doing 'cuz he knows nothing about food preservation), the iceberg willwilt and then turn brown and gross. Of course it happens with spinach too, but I just always thought that iceberg does it quicker than spinach.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Right, but even with the bag opened and then like folded over (like my dad has a bad habit of doing 'cuz he knows nothing about food preservation), the iceberg willwilt and then turn brown and gross. Of course it happens with spinach too, but I just always thought that iceberg does it quicker than spinach.Pre-packaged goods are vacuum-sealed. If you open the bag, the bag gets air in it. It'll still wilt more slowly if you fold it up, but it won't stop it from wilting, and it'll do it a lot faster than in its vacuum-wrapped state.

Iceberg does it faster than spinach because iceberg is more water-heavy.

Laddy
09-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Romaine and Spinach are my choice, personally.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I will join in on the love of spinach! It is my preferred green for sandwiches.

Arugula is nice too! Radicchio is a bit bitter but when complemented nicely it can go well with stuff (I feel the same about endives too). I do not mind leafy green either. A nice mescaline/mixed green is alright, though Caesar salad is definitely my favourite lettuce-salad. Potato salad is the bomb. Also, my boyfriend makes the best Greek salad ever, but then again he is Greek, so yeah...

Pheesh
09-13-2013, 12:23 AM

Iceberg lettuce has less nutritional value compared to any other form of lettuce I know of.

Low in sodium, saturated fat and cholesterol: it's lettuce for one so no trout. Second, none of that actually matters all that much.
Thiamin: This is in pretty much everything you'll eat anyway, but 100g of iceberg lettuce only has 3% of your daily requirement (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2). You'll find almost double the amount in romaine lettuce (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2475/2), quadruple in beef liver (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3469/2), and triple for a 100g steak as well (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/6176/2). It's a source sure, but there's no shortage of better ones for the same mass of food.

Um...that site you linked to says the exact same thing I quoted in my very first post, the same thing that spuuky said was "just false". It also receives a 5 star rating for optimum health from the site you used and scores at just about the top of the chart for nutritional value to fullness factor, which doesn't sound so bad. You can take it up with them if you have a problem with it but as that seems to be where you're getting all your facts from I assume they get the okay from you.

I also like how you stopped using percentages before you got to vitamin C, which iceberg gives you 3% of your DI for (romaine/cos gives 2%), folate (iceberg has 5%, romaine has 2%). manganese (iceberg 4%, romaine 0%), or vitamin K (iceberg 22%, romaine 8%). In fact there isn't a single mineral in a portion of romaine lettuce that gives you even a 1% increase toward your recommended daily intake, while iceberg has 8.

And all of that is comparing the two lettuces which I specifically said I did not want to do in the first place so smurf thank you so much for dragging me into a petty, fact spouting, internet argument. That said, I really can't wait to hear your next condescending, elitist and downright rude rebuttal though, I'm waiting with baited breath :up:

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Well, this has gone down like the Titanic....

:shobon:

Jinx
09-13-2013, 03:39 AM
nOomXC5Uygs

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 03:41 AM
ps.

I want all the rep for that.

also

eyesonlettuceexperts.com

Denmark
oh my god guys it's just fucking leaves

Night Fury
Yeah, everyone should just leave this argument right now.

Denmark
09-13-2013, 03:42 AM
why don't we make like a tree and get out of here

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Nah, I think I will stay. Just cos.

Slothy
09-13-2013, 03:53 AM

Um...that site you linked to says the exact same thing I quoted in my very first post, the same thing that spuuky said was "just false". It also receives a 5 star rating for optimum health from the site you used and scores at just about the top of the chart for nutritional value to fullness factor, which doesn't sound so bad. You can take it up with them if you have a problem with it but as that seems to be where you're getting all your facts from I assume they get the okay from you.

I also like how you stopped using percentages before you got to vitamin C, which iceberg gives you 3% of your DI for (romaine/cos gives 2%), folate (iceberg has 5%, romaine has 2%). manganese (iceberg 4%, romaine 0%), or vitamin K (iceberg 22%, romaine 8%). In fact there isn't a single mineral in a portion of romaine lettuce that gives you even a 1% increase toward your recommended daily intake, while iceberg has 8.

And all of that is comparing the two lettuces which I specifically said I did not want to do in the first place so smurf thank you so much for dragging me into a petty, fact spouting, internet argument. That said, I really can't wait to hear your next condescending, elitist and downright rude rebuttal though, I'm waiting with baited breath :up:

Go ahead and click on those links and set the quantity to 100g for each instead of comparing the default of 72g of iceberg lettuce and 6g of Romaine, then feel free to take another crack at this. If you're not comparing the equivalent amounts as I was when I checked every single nutrient and mineral you mentioned in your quote that quantified nothing, then you can't draw a useful conclusion.

Also, I couldn't care less if that site claims iceberg is a good source of all of the things you mentioned or gives it five stars for being healthy because those are utterly meaningless, especially since the numbers show that it's worse than Romaine and quite a few other foods in every single category you mentioned.

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Lettuce be thankful for this radicchiolous argument.

:roll2

Slothy
09-13-2013, 04:27 AM
Forgive me for wanting people to actually use facts to back up statements they make rather than "some person on the internet said..."

:roll2

And also forgive me if I like to back up my statements with facts when someone decides to call me insane for stating something that's true. If my taking it personally when someone calls me insane bothers you then that's too fucking bad quite frankly. We're all (or most of us anyway) adults here. If two people debating is honestly so unbearable then I suggest sucking it up and moving on because I really don't give a trout.

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm not taking it personally, I'm just making shit puns about what is most definitely, a nitpicky argument.

Slothy
09-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Feel free to take it up with your boyfriend then.

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 04:40 AM
I probably will. We'll have a laugh about it all day. Just have a laugh about it.

I think I might go grab the iceburg lettuce out of the fridge and throw it at him, while laughing at him for being so serious about an internet argument. Because it's funny. It's funny, just laugh about it instead

Slothy
09-13-2013, 04:42 AM
Laugh about what? Phil calling me insane and coming off as a bit of a dick? Sure, I'll go have a grand old laugh about that.

Jinx
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I just want to point out that you've called me insane before, then told me I didn't have a right to get angry about it. Remember the Mars thread? xD People on EoFF call each other insane and crazy all the time, and rarely is it ever a real insult.

It's just lettuce. Does it really matter what preference Phil has?

Pike
09-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I dunno about iceberg lettuce for people but I do know that giving it to animals that eat greens (such as guinea pigs) isn't highly recommended. I think it had to do with sugar content. When I worked at a pet store we fed them romaine. But that's besides the point because baby spinach is the best base for a salad IMO. Toss in some cherry tomatoes, eggs, chicken and cheese and you are set :up:

Cuchulainn
09-13-2013, 02:00 PM
lol

Rantz
09-13-2013, 07:24 PM
omg

Jowy
09-13-2013, 10:26 PM
holy crap, you guys argue about the dumbest things.

i eat a spinach and romaine salad with strawberries, blueberries, a sauvignon-blanc/tarragon vinaigrette, and toasted hazelnuts every day. it tastes amazing and won't kill me.

Shiny
09-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Meh, iceberg lettuce. I prefer baby spinach or Romaine lettuce with sun dried tomatoes, raisins, almonds, goat cheese, and Asian peanut dressing. Maybe chicken with that if I'm feeling frisky. :shiny:

Also I agree with Jowy, you guys argue about tedious thing. Stop arguing about dumb trout and get back on the topic of how amazing salad is.

NorthernChaosGod
09-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Wtf cares what kind of lettuce or base is used in a salad? The best parts are things like tomatoes and even then the best part of a meal is still the meat. :p

Pike
09-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Salad really takes off when you add the bacon bits

Slothy
09-14-2013, 02:05 PM
I just want to point out that you've called me insane before, then told me I didn't have a right to get angry about it. Remember the Mars thread? xD People on EoFF call each other insane and crazy all the time, and rarely is it ever a real insult.

Look guys, I was frustrated and angry about something else entirely and I lashed out unfairly. Should be pretty obvious to most people that know me that something else must have been going on. I apologized shortly after and Locky was cool with it since she knows what's happening and we all moved on as one big happy EOFF family.

noxious.sunshine
09-14-2013, 03:38 PM
You're all a bunch of mental patients.

Good. Freaking. Grief.

Spinach > Romaine > Iceberg.

There. Settled.

I have a huge bag of spinach in my fridge right meow. I haven't had it in ages it feels like. And I just.. omg how I missed it so.

Slice up some strawberries, lightly "pickle" some onion slices, fry some bacon, crumble up goat cheese, and squeeze lime juice on top. YEAH BUDDY. That junk is bomb.com for realz.

Slothy
09-14-2013, 04:00 PM
You're all a bunch of mental patients.

I prefer the term sociopath. :colbert:

noxious.sunshine
09-14-2013, 04:02 PM
oh my bad.

didn't mean to be politically incorrect.

Hollycat
09-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Iceberg lettuce with garlic roasted croutons and bacon covered in ranch is the only way to eat salad.

Shiny
09-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I take back what I said about raisins in salads. Craisins are infinitely better.