PDA

View Full Version : Should FFXV remain FFVersusXIII?

Aulayna
09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
tqng6HwVgPk

According to some people at GameTrailers: Roman numerals are a big deal!

What's your view?

Slothy
09-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Ugh, I think I want the last few minutes I spent listening to that argument back.

No, it should not be called Versus XIII. That was always a stupid name. And while it may have started under this whole FFXIII umbrella, looking at what we know about XV, I think it's safe to say that it doesn't have a whole lot in common with XIII. The story seems completely removed from XIII aside from perhaps some underlying themes, the environments are more open, the gameplay is action based instead of a shitty turn based system trying to trick you into thinking it's fast paced, and the art style in XV actually looks pretty good so far. Moreover, why the hell would they want to associate what is, at this point, a completely different game with FFXIII? XIII was awful. It's reception overall could best be described as luke warm.

This guy is whining about renaming it because he wants a a new game that pushes the series forward, but seems to have missed that it's shaping up to be quite different from previous FF titles, and with the real time combat alone will push the series somewhere it hasn't been. So basically, this game is everything he wants in a new main series FF, except he doesn't like that it started under a different name. Which is just a really dumb argument. I'm sorry, but if that affects your view on a game then it may be time to re-evaluate your priorities in your gaming life.

Del Murder
09-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I only wanted it to stay Versus XIII because that would mean we get another game called FFXV and we would end up with two new games instead of one.

Jinx
09-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I only wanted it to stay Versus XIII because that would mean we get another game called FFXV and we would end up with two new games instead of one.

Slothy
09-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Except that the renaming will literally have zero impact on how many future SE games we get. :p

Laddy
09-11-2013, 03:01 PM
FFXV is way better than Versus XIII, consider it actually, y'know, makes fucking sense.

Slothy
09-11-2013, 03:04 PM
FFXV is way better than Versus XIII, consider it actually, y'know, makes fucking sense.

Versus XIII was a terrible, terrible name. And so misleading.

Laddy
09-11-2013, 03:18 PM
I thought XIII and Versus XIII were literally the two halves of the Cocoon vs. Pulse story in separate games for the longest time.

Mirage
09-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I couldn't make it past 4 minutes of his whining.

I don't give a trout which roman numerals are put behind the "Final Fantasy" words. I just want a game that has great gameplay and an interesting world and story.

If anything, I'd prefer it if "versus" was the start of a new branch of final fantasy games, which would typically be action RPGs, while the regular series wasn't action RPGs. But again, what's in a name?

Skyblade
09-14-2013, 06:29 PM
He needs to seriously look at the Fabula Nova Crystallis games for a minute. A group of independent games sharing certain aspects of lore and history. Sound familiar? Like Moogles, Chocobos, Gilgamesh, Cactuars, etcetera. As each FNC game was developed, it became clear that the unified themes were no different than what lay at the heart of Final Fantasy. Type-0 may have used l'Cie and the Crystarium, but it was its own game. It carried its own weight and could have born the main series name for a full console release. "Versus XIII" seems much the same. Despite the initial shared concept, it is not related to XIII any more than it is the rest of the series.

Elskidor
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Versus XIII always sounded stupid. This game has been in the works for so damn long, I don't even care anymore though.

Loony BoB
09-24-2013, 04:13 PM
This was me for ages, but deep down I always knew that it wouldn't make a difference about how fast we'd get the game after whatever this one is. :( I think I was just excited that FFXV would be announced for PS4 and it would suddenly be halfway through production and we'd still be getting Versus XIII for the PS3 alongside it, but alas, not to be.

So yeah, FFXV is pretty much the only sensible thing to call it.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-07-2013, 04:34 AM
When I first heard about the name change I wasn't worried about the roman numeral. I was just happy that the game was finally going to be released. There is a part of me that would have liked to see it stay VersusXIII just for the fact that there would be a new FFXV and than we would have 2 new awesome games, as people have said.

On the other hand, if they would have started a new XV maybe this would have ended up being a dead title like a lot of people were fearing.

On the plus side maybe they'll put an extra amount of effort in to this game now that it's a main title game as opposed to a XIII-something. Not to say it would have been any less awesome before.

Silent Warrior
11-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Both titles are stupid. *SMACK LAID DOWN*

I mean; OK, it started as VersusXIII, or whatever order they put it in, and then it got delayed, delayed, delayed again, then Sony got a whole new console ready - and instead of acknowledging that, 'Yeah, this game got delayed... but now it's out. Rejoice', they just went and said 'Nu-uh, we'magonna call it SOMETHING NEW AND EXCITING, reigniting the hype, y0!' Smurf 'em, it just looks amateurish.
That said, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of touching points between this game and what remains of the XIII continuum, and being on said new console, it DOES make a whole lot of sense to drop the XIII relation and associated associations to "antiquated" 'ardware. [Hee, I makes alliteration, I smRt!]
(And Versus XIII was a pretty silly title to begin with.)

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'll pat them on the back if I think the finished game is good.

Hollycat
11-09-2013, 04:40 PM
I think it's safe to say that it was in SE's best interest to get FFXV out from under the XIII umbrella. People are still mad about the first two games, and while the third one looks better, first impressions never truly go away. Besides, at this point it has diverged to from the original XIII to the point where you can no longer tell where they were related in the first place. I think giving it the new title will not only make more people willing to give it a chance, but allow the game to stand out on its own much more clearly.

Dignified Pauper
11-10-2013, 11:47 PM
This is literally the stupidest debate I've ever seen.

Del Murder
11-11-2013, 01:15 AM
You know we debated if soup is a drink before, right?

Elpizo
11-11-2013, 07:04 PM

No way, really?! O.o That's, ehm, hardcore.

Elskidor
11-12-2013, 01:28 AM

Soup based soupy soup is a drink. Cream based is a food. Drinky soup isn't very yummy for a drink or food.

DMKA
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Honestly, at the end of the day, the title isn't that important to me, but as far as I'm concerned, Versus XIII would have been better, because despite the name change to XV, it's still very much a XIII game, as it's still part of the Fabula Nova Crystalis subfranchise and shares the same mythos. It has l'cie, Fal'cie, the same deities like Etro, etc...all things exclusive to the XIII universe.

So yes, it should remain "Versus XIII", or "Something XIII" at least, in my opinion.

Jinx
11-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Honestly, at the end of the day, the title isn't that important to me, but as far as I'm concerned, Versus XIII would have been better, because despite the name change to XV, it's still very much a XIII game, as it's still part of the Fabula Nova Crystalis subfranchise and shares the same mythos. It has l'cie, Fal'cie, the same deities like Etro, etc...all things exclusive to the XIII universe.

So yes, it should remain "Versus XIII", or "Something XIII" at least, in my opinion.

Are we sure those aspects haven't been removed from the game?

I really don't know, but there isn't a ton of info out there, at any rate.

sir helix
11-15-2013, 08:08 PM
If they would just release the damn thing we can make a decision on the matter

Jessweeee♪
11-16-2013, 04:58 AM
As somebody who loves Final Fantasy XIII, enough is enough. From the very beginning FFXV didn't seem any more connected to FFXIII than the rest of the series. I like FFXIII, and so far I really like what I'm seeing of FFXV, and they are and should be two separate things. They don't need to name everything Final Fantasy after FFXIII just because it was awesome you guys :greenie:

Aulayna
11-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Lightning Yet Again: Final Fantasy XV-5

Jinx
11-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Lightning: You Really Should Get An Antibiotic As Much As She Keeps Coming Back Final Fantasy XIII-13

Dignified Pauper
11-20-2013, 12:56 AM

This has more credence to it than the nonsense the links in the OP discuss.

maybee
11-25-2013, 08:32 AM
I like FFXIII, and so far I really like what I'm seeing of FFXV, and they are and should be two separate things.

HMM-HM.

Plus FF 15 doesn't look FF 13 related and it didn't look like that the two belonged from the beginning.

Lightning Yet Again: Final Fantasy XV-5

no oooo oooo ooooo oooo oooo oooo oooo ooo oo oo o oo ooo oo o oo o

lightning needs to fuu off.

comma
11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Soup is a food. Not sure what restaurants you're eating at where you get served drinks as your first course. In a bowl. To be consumed with utensils.

Ayen
12-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Didn't bother with the video. Versus XIII didn't seem to have anything to do with XIII from the beginning and it makes sense to call it XV. And even if they did want to keep it under the XIII umbrella, they delayed it for so long that they HAD to make it XV because they didn't want to go any longer without an addition to the main series. It'd be stupid to keep it titled Versus XIII.

Sephiroth
12-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I normally want it to be called Versus XIII, yes. However, we have to other numbered saga with a canon connection, even if only the connection together with some details is the only canon and defined thing about it, so I am also fine with these two newer numbered titles having a canon connection.

Noctis Caelum
12-15-2013, 04:56 AM
You know what's fascinating? Every single one of these bigots have claimed that the XIII series has been terrible in this video, and yet, when you simply look at the ratings on GameTrailers... they tell a different story.

FF XIII: 8.6 [EDITOR'S CHOICE]
FF XIII-2: 8.8 [EDITOR'S CHOICE]

Nice job going against what you guys rated them before. You're just going back on it and listening to what fans have said. Similar to how Mass Effect 3 was critically received by all critics until the gamer audience experienced the ending. Then everybody and their dog started calling it awful.

Have some mothersmurfing backbone and stand to what you call a game GREAT. Or is 8.6/8.8 "GARBAGE" nowadays?

smurfing morons.

Mercen-X
12-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Are you sure those ratings didn't come before they played the game?

I want to play Final Fantasy versus XIII. I just want the title to make sense toward the story. I want to play agito XIII. I kind of wish they had released Type-0 as a console main title. Then versus would be XVI instead of XV. Then again, I also still despise Squee for having MMOs as main titles.

Soup is a food. Not sure what restaurants you're eating at where you get served drinks as your first course. In a bowl. To be consumed with utensils.
Some people mistake the broth for soup. Since broth has no chewable properties, it could be more greatly associated with drink. However, it would not be very refreshing. Drink is supposed to refresh the body (keep it hydrated), food nourishes it, giving the stomach something to wrestle with and providing energy.

maybee
12-15-2013, 09:52 AM
You know what's fascinating? Every single one of these bigots have claimed that the XIII series has been terrible in this video, and yet, when you simply look at the ratings on GameTrailers... they tell a different story.

Nice job going against what you guys rated them before. You're just going back on it and listening to what fans have said. Similar to how Mass Effect 3 was critically received by all critics until the gamer audience experienced the ending. Then everybody and their dog started calling it awful.

Have some mothersmurfing backbone and stand to what you call a game GREAT. Or is 8.6/8.8 "GARBAGE" nowadays?

smurfing morons.

Yeah that's a pet-peeve of mine too, it seems like they're just jumping on a Bandwagon. Most folks think that FF 13 is terrible, so we'll jump on that to gain/ keep viewers.

Ayen
12-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I thought XIII was a bad game before thinking XIII was a bad game was cool.

-bad game hipster-

Sephiroth
12-15-2013, 01:31 PM

-bad game hipster-

Considering I read a Thread about Final Fantasy XIII being "linear as a piece of string" in 2009 most likely not.

Ugh ... all that negative energy. What a pity.

Ayen
12-15-2013, 01:37 PM

-bad game hipster-

Considering I read a Thread about Final Fantasy XIII being "linear as a piece of string" in 2009 most likely not.

2009? It didn't even come over to America until 2010.

Sephiroth
12-15-2013, 02:11 PM

I don't know what you want to say. It came out in 2009 in Japan, when I bought it as well, and has been criticized since then. America is not the measure of all things and Japanese people, American people, European people, et cetera can criticize even before an English version is released.

Ayen
12-15-2013, 02:24 PM

I don't know what you want to say. It came out in 2009 in Japan, when I bought it as well, and has been criticized since then. America is not the measure of all things.

And to my knowledge the complaints didn't come until it was released internationally because it was much better received in Japan overall. Never once did I claim American to be the measure of all things.

I was making a joke because I hated it before I even knew that I was in the majority. I don't know what your deal is.

Sephiroth
12-15-2013, 02:34 PM
And to my knowledge the complaints didn't come until it was released internationally because it was much better received in Japan overall. Never once did I claim American to be the measure of all things.

I was making a joke because I hated it before I even knew that I was in the majority. I don't know what your deal is.

I edited the post, maybe you didn't see it.

No complaints is not a knowledge thing. I have both native speakers as friends as well as a thread I have already mentioned. And both were about criticizing Final Fantasy XIII early. In fact the thread I am talking about - or the posts, as the thread itself is older - was hot topic a few days after the Japanese release. I discussed with German players at that time since they already complained about "Final Fantasy XIII being as linear as a piece of string" as several sites said. I even searched for the German thread, it still exists.

The problem is, you said, you hated it before it was a thing. However, it was a thing as mentioned - I was in shock at that time as I was waiting for it and have played the Trial version before so I was part of that debate. Now you say "before you knew" but that is not the same.

I am just clarifying things. There is no bad intention.

XIII and Type-0 aren't related to each other any more than XIII is related to any other game in the series.

No, when they are canon to each other with the same universe and myth it is a total difference. And after Lightning Returns you will think different anyway.

EDIT@Skyblade: They are very well canon to each other. Parts of the myth explained differently does not make them non-canon. The plan was to give them one myth and one universe but no further connection, just some elements as with VII and X. Gaia and Spira are alsonot the same planet. And and essential crystal is very important as we can see in Lightning Returns. Fans need to learn that other perspectives or even contradictions do not make things non-canon. Fans cannot decide. Things are non-canon when a company says they are. Even Final Fantasy VII and X have differences between the concept and they are absolutely canon and have the same universe. It is the idea of canonicity between games without to much explained connection. Same goes for Gilgamesh who officially travels through dimensions, which are partly canonical to each other, partly not canonical to each other.

It is a pretty undefined canon like it was said that the substance of lifestream and pyreflies are the same what could be for Final Fantasy VII and X but not what actually happened to lead from on to another. Otherwise Cetra and JENOVA would have needed to be written into that and they weren't. Canon does not automatically mean fully with all thoughts about it to make all fitting - even if this would be the best, of course. Final Fantasy XIII is even canon to our universe without spoilering.

When you go for an absolute canon then nothing is canon as in connected, counting and free from mistakes and variety to each other ever. But this is not what is meant to be and this is not what a company looks at all the time when they make things canonical - partly for sure, of course. Things are canonical when the owner wants it to be. Things often are just left out or vary a bit.

Jinx
12-15-2013, 02:36 PM
ToriJ is just saying that he didn't like the game before he knew it was being criticized and that other people's criticism had nothing to do with his own opinion of the game. I don't understand why that bothers you.

Noctis Caelum
12-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Are you sure those ratings didn't come before they played the game?
Watching the video review (http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/giy0od/final-fantasy-xiii-review), they obviously played it beforehand, because they're no where near as brutal as they are in the video on the original post of this thread. And anyway, who in their right minds writes or records a review without playing it? That would make them even stupider.

But I digress. I'm actually just starting to play XIII, and I might be in the majority but I'm loving it. I don't particularly care that it's linear. Or that the story is a little wish-washy. The gameplay is still extremely fun and keeps me wanting more. Nothing really to hate there, at least for me.

Back to the topic at hand, I feel that XV is worth being branched away from XIII rather than being categorized with that series. Versus XIII is indeed a stupid name, especially when you factor in that there are already several games with the XIII brand. It's already murdered and abused roman numerals, so the change to XV was much needed.

XV is also the game I'm waiting to come out before I invest in the terrible "next-gen" consoles.

Mirage
12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

smurfing morons.

Actually it is. Game scores are extremely inflated, and on many gaming sites, sub-7 scores do longer exist. That leaves us with 7 being bad, 8 being sort of ok, 9 being good enough and 10 being "actually good/great".

Personally I think FF13 is pretty boring outside of combat, and even combat had some glaring flaws. FF13-2 solved most of the combat issues and I think that is a really fun game to play, as long as you leave the story out of it.

maybee
12-15-2013, 05:58 PM
America is not the measure of all things and Japanese people, American people, European people, et cetera can criticize even before an English version is released.

I understand what you mean

But I get what ToriJ means too

I personally remember criticizing before it was released, as people were starting to panic over the very linear maps. They were right to panic

Skyblade
12-18-2013, 05:30 AM

As one of the few people on EoFF who has actually played a Fabula Nova Crystalis game besides XIII and XIII-2, I feel pretty comfortable telling you that you are wrong.

XIII and Type-0 aren't related to each other any more than XIII is related to any other game in the series. There are some shared themes and terminology, sure, but that is the case with every game in the series. The worlds, concepts, themes, and even the mechanics of the shared concepts are vastly different. The concepts are simply a new addition to the already heavy terminology of the Final Fantasy series as a whole, there is absolutely no reason to separate them into their own subseries.

Versus XIII seems the same way. It doesn't share much in common with XIII. It shares a few terms and concepts, and that's all.

Skyblade
12-24-2013, 05:48 PM
XIII and Type-0 aren't related to each other any more than XIII is related to any other game in the series.

No, when they are canon to each other with the same universe and myth it is a total difference. And after Lightning Returns you will think different anyway.

Sorry for the double post, but I had missed this response, and I want to address it.

They aren't canon to each other. Nor are they in the same universe. They have the shared mythology of the l'Cie and fal'Cie, and that's about it.

Heck, if Final Fantasy Type-0 is any indication, even that is handled extremely different, as the l'Cie in that game were empowered and directed by the crystals, not fal'Cie (they may turn out to be Fal'Cie later, but there are far fewer of them, and they are treated far differently by the populace, so it has a completely different impact on the world building), and were additionally indicated to have less free will than the l'Cie of XIII. The war between Milites and Suzaku was heavily defined by the actions of Milites's l'Cie. The powers of the l'Cie in Type-0 were tied to the powers of the crystal, so Milites's l'Cie were weapon and tech experts, and they created and operated the Crystal Jammer which we all remember from the opening cinematic where Bahamut gets smacked down by it (since it negates most magic, including summons). However, since they operate at the behest of the crystal, not the military, the l'Cie don't press the attack with the rest of the army, which gives Suzaku some breathing room to reorganize.

Shared terms or even shared mythology (which, again, it may be, but it handles them completely differently, even when just using the core concepts) does not make for a shared universe, any more than having summons in both FFVII and FFIX means that those games take place in the same universe.