PDA

View Full Version : computer fails to resolve host for home.eyesonff.com

The Man
09-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Do I need to edit my hosts file or something? If so, what to? Only being able to access the site on my phone is really annoying.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Do I need to edit my hosts file or something? If so, what to? Only being able to access the site on my phone is really annoying.Depends, have you edited your hosts file for EoFF before? If you haven't, there should be no reason to touch now.

To be honest the solution to name resolution issues (if they're ISP-specific) is just changing your DNS to use Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of your ISP's default.

Does it fail to resolve in all browsers? Does it resolve in a command line if you try to ping it?

The Man
09-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Never edited hosts file before, afaik. Ping fails. Haven't tried multiple browsers. Should I try using google's DNS lookup then?

Relena Peacecraft
09-10-2013, 10:39 PM
It may not help, because Google's servers seem to also be having trouble getting this thing to resolve regularly. I have no idea what the root cause is, as the upstream DNS servers seem to be responding correctly. I haven't dug too deeply though.

I can only visit this place at all right now because I've dropped home.eyesonff.com into my hosts file.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Never edited hosts file before, afaik. Ping fails. Haven't tried multiple browsers. Should I try using google's DNS lookup then?If it doesn't ping, using multiple browsers is irrelevant. On a command line, show the output of these two commands:

nslookup home.eyesonff.com
nslookup home.eyesonff.com 8.8.8.8

The first will do a lookup based on your default DNS, the second using Google's.

Relena Peacecraft
09-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Since I'm having this problem as well, I can respond. Well, home.eyesonff.com randomly fixed itself when I went to test (since the issue seems intermittent) but forums.eyesonff.com is a failure right now.

jason@europa ~ $ nslookup forums.eyesonff.com
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

** server can't find forums.eyesonff.com: NXDOMAIN

jason@europa ~ $ nslookup forums.eyesonff.com 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

I don't know if there's some dirty ISP out there that's silently modifying or blocking traffic or what, because the exact same query works perfectly fine from my offsite server.

Spuuky
09-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Since I'm having this problem as well, I can respond. Well, home.eyesonff.com randomly fixed itself when I went to test (since the issue seems intermittent) but forums.eyesonff.com is a failure right now.

jason@europa ~ $ nslookup forums.eyesonff.com
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

jason@europa ~ $ nslookup forums.eyesonff.com 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

I don't know if there's some dirty ISP out there that's silently modifying or blocking traffic or what, because the exact same query works perfectly fine from my offsite server.That first query indicates that your name resolution is coming from... your router? I guess I'm not really sure how Linux name resolution works. That Google name server has a correct DNS entry for forums.eyesonff.com so the problem is in your ability to reach that name server with the query at all.

Relena Peacecraft
09-10-2013, 11:58 PM
That first query indicates that your name resolution is coming from... your router? I guess I'm not really sure how Linux name resolution works. That Google name server has a correct DNS entry for forums.eyesonff.com so the problem is in your ability to reach that name server with the query at all.

Yes, the first one was my router. Which itself is configured to use Google anyway. Of course, it's strange that EoFF is (as far as I can tell) the only address to have problems. Everything else works fine.

UPDATE: It actually seems that any domain using the same dns servers as EoFF sees the same behavior. Since this appears to mostly be a bunch of no-name sites, no wonder I wouldn't notice. Therefore, I must hypothesize that this is a communication problem between some of google's DNS servers and the godaddy dns servers. Presumably it will resolve someday if someone notices. I have no idea if this information applies to Aaron's problem whatsoever.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 12:40 AM
UPDATE: It actually seems that any domain using the same dns servers as EoFF sees the same behavior. Since this appears to mostly be a bunch of no-name sites, no wonder I wouldn't notice. Therefore, I must hypothesize that this is a communication problem between some of google's DNS servers and the godaddy dns servers. Presumably it will resolve someday if someone notices. I have no idea if this information applies to Aaron's problem whatsoever.Are you configured somehow to not accept non-authoritative name resolutions? I don't really know how this would be done (conceivably it's something configurable in Linux) but it's possible that it isn't accepting a non-authoritative answer, and is then checking in for an authoritative one, but can't reach that name server. Maybe none of that even makes sense at all to someone with more knowledge than me about DNS, I'm not really an expert.

The more likely explanation though is that GoDaddy's cheap/free DNS sucks a lot, and is returning periodic non-existent domain responses, which then get cached for a while somewhere.

EDIT:

What happens when you do this (at a time the problem is happening)?
nslookup forums.eyesonff.com ns01.domaincontrol.com
or
nslookup forums.eyesonff.com ns02.domaincontrol.com

Since those are the actual name servers EoFF is using, they should be the ones returning the actual result?

Relena Peacecraft
09-11-2013, 12:54 AM
What happens when you do this (at a time the problem is happening)?
nslookup forums.eyesonff.com ns01.domaincontrol.com
or
nslookup forums.eyesonff.com ns02.domaincontrol.com

Since those are the actual name servers EoFF is using, they should be the ones returning the actual result?

Every time I've tried, querying those nameservers directly works fine. So does querying any other open DNS server I could think of. It was only requests to Google that were failing.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Interesting. Well, maybe it actually is a Google problem in your case, and switching away from Google would fix it. I'd rather modify my hosts file than switch from Google DNS though, which you obviously already did.

The Man
09-11-2013, 03:44 AM
What IP address do I need to edit in for eoff then?

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 03:51 AM
What IP address do I need to edit in for eoff then? 64.91.228.54

Although I'd try switching to Google DNS first if you haven't; it may be causing his problem, but could also fix yours.

The Man
09-11-2013, 04:43 AM
weird, I'm getting a 403 error when I load that IP on my computer. Is eoff in some subdirectory of that IP or something?

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 05:31 AM
weird, I'm getting a 403 error when I load that IP on my computer. Is eoff in some subdirectory of that IP or something? Guess I should have tested to make sure it actually worked. Apparently I don't know what it's actually supposed to be.

The Man
09-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Well I haven't actually tried editing my hosts file with it, I wanted to test it first.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Well I haven't actually tried editing my hosts file with it, I wanted to test it first. Oh. Well, since it's probably on a shared server, it's very likely that it needs the name to point you to the right place. Modifying your hosts file would work when typing it manually doesn't, because then the browser will send that information in its request, if that's the case (I haven't tested it still).

The Man
09-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Ok, that worked, thanks. I still can't get the chat stats (which are at eyesonff.com rather than home.eyesonff.com) to work, though. Those might be hosted on a different domain.

For anyone else who has to edit their hosts file, you'll need to put in the IP address for both home.eyesonff.com and forums.eyesonff.com.

Spuuky
09-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Ok, that worked, thanks. I still can't get the chat stats (which are at eyesonff.com rather than home.eyesonff.com) to work, though. Those might be hosted on a different domain.

For anyone else who has to edit their hosts file, you'll need to put in the IP address for both home.eyesonff.com and forums.eyesonff.com.You can just add the same line for eyesonff.com also, if you want to, and it'll fix anything hosted without a subdomain like that chat stuff.