PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming

Psychotic
09-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Ugh, I had forgotten what cold weather was like after enjoying the lazy Summer. I'm sure other British EoFFers feel the same. I don't know what the weather is like for the rest of you chaps around the globe, but it's getting colder here!

So tell me some good things about winter. What do you enjoy about it? There's got to be something awesome about it!

Parker
09-11-2013, 07:40 AM
I like how I look in a smart coat and scarf. I like wrapping up warm.

I like sitting inside and it's raining super hard against the window and I don't have to go outside in it.

Winter is much better than summer, but we as brits will complain about anything anyway so who

Jowy
09-11-2013, 07:42 AM
EVERYTHING. No plans and you're snowed in? Time to relax with a hot beverage and take in a movie. See one of your friends walking down the street equally bundled up to prevent frostbite? Let's hit them in the face with a snowball. Up early? Look outside and see how beautiful everything looks with a light dusting of snow.

Calliope
09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Hot tubs, hot pools, hot baths, hot water bottles, electric blankets, hot toddies, cocoa, tea, porridge, stews, soups, fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, saunas, double-glazing.

Rantz
09-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Santa!

Calliope
09-11-2013, 08:03 AM
NO! SANTA IS FOR SUMMERTIME :mad2:

Rantz
09-11-2013, 08:06 AM
:irked:

Calliope
09-11-2013, 08:22 AM

I MISS SUMMERTIME CHRISTMASES!

I'm really having difficulty coming up with things I like about winter, so I will be checking back to see what people come up with. I don't think I can think of something I really like about winter that I don't also like in the summer.

The Man
09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
I live in Florida, so winter is pretty much the only temperate time of year. The only downsides are the smurfing tourists and the holiday season (the latter of which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't work retail. I'm hoping to get out by the time it comes around again).

Faris
09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I am excited for a winter that isn't going to hit -30 with thick layers of ice, snow, ice, then snow.

I love the fresh and crisp air in winter. It's relaxing.

Yerushalmi
09-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Winter is the absolute best season:

-No pollen.
-No bees.
-No mosquitos.
-No matter how cold it gets, you can always add a layer, as opposed to the limit to how many clothes you can take off when it's too hot.
-Shabbat ends earlier.
-Rain is awesome.
-Snow is awesome.

Denmark
09-11-2013, 12:45 PM
-No matter how cold it gets, you can always add a layer, as opposed to the limit to how many clothes you can take off when it's too hot.

this is always my response when someone wonders how I can prefer cold weather to hot weather. especially since I grew up without air conditioning in my home.

I love snow. I love wrapping up in a blanket on the couch and doing nothing all day.

Jinx
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm really having difficulty coming up with things I like about winter, so I will be checking back to see what people come up with. I don't think I can think of something I really like about winter that I don't also like in the summer.

Hot tubs, hot pools, hot baths, hot water bottles, electric blankets, hot toddies, cocoa, tea, porridge, stews, soups, fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, saunas, double-glazing.

Scarves, sweaters, tights, hats, boots, pumpkin scented and spiced things, pumpkin pie, falling leaves, snow, watching snow fall, going out first thing in the morning after it has snowed and it's super silent and the snow itself is super loud, being the first person to walk through snow, cuddling to keep warm, playing freeze-out (and winning).

Laddy
09-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Memphis? Winter? Ha!

Agent Proto
09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't like the extreme weathers of Summer and Winter. However, I prefer the colder weather. Fall is the better season though.

Slothy
09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't like the extreme weathers of Summer and Winter. However, I prefer the colder weather. Fall is the better season though.

I don't like the extreme of winter solely because snow is a thing and having to shovel it constantly in order to go anywhere gets old fast.

But my favourite part about Winter coming? Cold weather. It was 5-10 degrees a few days last week and I was comfortably rocking shorts and a T-shirt for the first time since Summer hit its full stride.

Denmark
09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I'll concede that shoveling snow is annoying. But snow itself is awesome and so is cold.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/06382138c587c0fdc62e9ecf6cfb9697/tumblr_mrltqdImTZ1qzvi4xo1_400.gif

Slothy
09-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Snow is cool in and of itself, I just wish my driveway was heated so I never had to shovel it. Waste of energy? Absolutely. Incredibly convenient? You'd better believe.

Denmark
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
If only there were some source of energy that was constantly heating the Earth, at least during daylight hours. That would solve ALL our problemsI know the sun doesn't melt all snow jeez pls no attack

I honestly kind of enjoy shoveling snow, sometimes. Gets the blood moving!

Slothy
09-11-2013, 03:17 PM
The sun is too damn hot. Someone should turn the damn lights off already.

Cuchulainn
09-11-2013, 04:28 PM
I prefer running in (above freezing) winter days than summer days. I've never minded winter at all really.

Madame Adequate
09-11-2013, 04:44 PM
After how hot this summer has been I'm pretty fucking glad the weather's taken a turn for the cooler.

Anyway to stay warm I'll just snuggle up to Pike.

Jinx
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Last week it was a beautiful sunny and cool 60 degrees. I thought, "Hey, autumn is finally here!"

Today it's fucking 95 degrees.

Denmark
09-11-2013, 07:04 PM
fuck summer, all hail winter

Shorty
09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Peppermint lattes, peppermint mochas, hot chocolate with mini marshmallows, hot apple cider, spiked eggnog, infinity scarves, tights, boots boots and more boots, knit EVERYTHING, mittens, holidays, hot stews and soups, fuzzy socks, frosted grass, christmas lights everywhere, hershey's hugs, CANDYCANE ICE CREAM OH LORD IN HEAVEN, fires, the smell of pine everywhere, watching snow fall through streetlights, the excuse to use my holiday sprinkles, consistent grey skies, watching Charlie Brown and It's a Wonderful Life, seeing animal tracks in the snow, and beautiful, wonderful coats!

I tried mulled wine for the first time last December and it seems like a very cold season drink that I look forward to trying more often. I also feel more in the mood for milky booze drinks like white Russians and Brandy Alexanders in the wintertime.

Yerushalmi
09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Oh, and now that winter's here I get to finally wear these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2c9/)again!

Formalhaut
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Winter is the absolute best season:

-No pollen.
-No bees.
-No mosquitos.
-Shabbat ends earlier.
-Rain is awesome.
-Snow is awesome.

I absolutely agree. Winter is without doubt my favourite Season, bar none. I dress the best in Winter too, because I'm very coat and outerwear focused. I love me a nice warm coat, scarf, gloves, etc. I breath Winter.

Oh, and now that winter's here I get to finally wear these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2c9/)again!

Those are like some of the nerdiest things I've ever seen :p

Yerushalmi
09-11-2013, 08:29 PM
AND THEY ARE GLORIOUS

Formalhaut
09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
AND THEY ARE GLORIOUS

I know this sounds really daft, but I guess it gets REALLY cold in Jerusalem.

Yerushalmi
09-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Not really. Not often enough to justify the purchase, I'm afraid. But it was the first and only time in my life I ever bought something useless. I figure I'm entitled to do that once :p

Mirage
09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
You british people have no idea what winter is.

Cuchulainn
09-11-2013, 08:58 PM

I can't imagine it gets very cold in the Near East, does it? It always looks like a dust bowl. Kinda like SoCal, except with more screaming and pinch of sectarian and religious genocide.

Yerushalmi
09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Deserts have wide diurnal temperature variations to begin with, and these are magnified as you go inland. Jerusalem is on the top of a mountain, so it's quite colder than its surroundings as well. So the winters can get pretty cold here, though the gloves are a bit too thick to be appropriate.

We have screaming too, but the nearest sectarian and religious genocide is up in Syria.

Cuchulainn
09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
It's worryingly close though isn't it. You don't need the Al-Nusra Front on your doorstep. They're already doing bad things to Christian's up there.

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Winter is the best. I get to wear jeans and hoodies all the time. :D If it gets colder then I can wear my pea coat and gloves.

Chemical
09-12-2013, 04:21 AM
So northern hemispherio-centric.
Bring on summer.
Suck it, snow beasts.

Pike
09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Winter is great because it actually gets down to livable temperatures again (aka below 65F because anything above 65F is too hot)

Shauna
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't mind it getting cold. Cold is fine. I mind it getting wet. I already got absolutely drenched walking to get the bus yesterday. It is the beginning of something bad.

Pike
09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
You british people have no idea what winter is.

I dunno man when I showed up in friggin March/April it was FUCKING FREEZING

I'm sitting here flying in thinking "Oh I'm a Montanan, this is gonna be a cakewalk" and I was so wrong

Mirage
09-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I guess it's not actually because it is extremely much colder than winters in for example the rockies or the UK, but that they often last a lot longer, and with no real summer afterwards to make up for them.

Also, anything below 65F is too cold. It's not that I can't handle the cold, I've bicycled to work in -20 C (and high relative humidity) several times. I just really really dislike it. Really really really dislike it. It's mostly because of the inconveniences it brings along with it. Need for thick uncomfortable clothes. Nothing fun to do because I hate skiing and snowboarding and shit. Roads get icy and you have to walk carefully to not slip and fall. Roads get clogged with snow so that it takes forever to get anywhere. I am just a real summer person. I'd prefer it if it was hot enough to walk around naked all year. And that's what I would do, too.

Shauna
09-12-2013, 02:15 PM
We... don't tend to have a real summer here either. This year was a bizarre phenomenon in which we got more than 3 days of sun. Having temperatures of like 25C is not a common thing during summer, and the fact that we got more than one day of that sort of weather is insane. xD It doesn't get too cold during winter, I will admit, but then we just get consistent 10-15C rainy, windy weather throughout the rest of the year.

Mirage
09-12-2013, 02:18 PM
But you live in the north so maybe that's why!

yukina
09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
We've never had winter here so it's interesting to see how people here seem to anticipate the cold weather. Coldest I've experienced was 8 C when I was around 8 years old and were in one of the cities on top of a mountain. I thought my toes were gonna fall off. I think 21 C is plenty cold already :))

Mirage
09-12-2013, 02:59 PM
8 C is an average norwegian summer day.

Slothy
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Guess I'm moving to Norway.

noxious.sunshine
09-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I miss ghetto sledding. My dad made this uber killer sled out of a hard plastic sign - he bent one end in his big ole machine thing he had in our garage and then drilled holes and hooked up a tarp strap for the handle. That junk was -baller- .

Also, I kind of hate Christmas. It's always really really depressing for me cuz I never know if it really -will- be my dad's last one. But having them together with my lil girl is always so much fun. My dad is totally in love with her. It's so cute.

annnnd running around in an oversized hoodie with maybe a winter vest on top and flip flops. Or my fake Uggs tht're worn out through the soles. I'm also a sucker for awesome coats, but I always find them too restraining for my taste. I like to have free movement of my arms.

Pike
09-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Coldest I've experienced was 8 C when I was around 8 years old and were in one of the cities on top of a mountain. I thought my toes were gonna fall off.

Coldest I've experienced was -40. I just bundled up and toughed it out for a few days. It was when I was in uni so I spent a lot of time walking around campus. I survived!

-40 is exactly the same in both Celsius and Fahrenheit so inb4 any whining.

Dat Matt
09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Autumn is where it is at:

It's not light until 3am.
Every tree is a cool colour, not that dumb green stuff.
Clocks go backwards so we sleep more.

Winter in comparison isn't as bad, but not quite as cooooooooooooooool as Autumn.

Pike
09-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah, Autumn is my fave. Too short though :( Wedged right between the looooong Montana summer and the even looooooooooonger Montana winter.

Dat Matt
09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Scotland is kinds good for that, cause we have from August-November for autumn. Our winters last till march-april though.

Pike
09-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Where I am it's like:

Spring: ...a couple of weeks in late May, maybe?
Summer: June - Late September/Early October
Autumn: A couple of weeks in October? Maybe? :(
Winter: Late October - Early May

:(

Slothy
09-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Coldest I've experienced was 8 C when I was around 8 years old and were in one of the cities on top of a mountain. I thought my toes were gonna fall off.

Coldest I've experienced was -40. I just bundled up and toughed it out for a few days. It was when I was in uni so I spent a lot of time walking around campus. I survived!

Everyone knows -40 is the same in both. I've experienced -50C before when walking to my bus stop and waiting 10-15 minutes for a bus. I had no hat, no gloves, and a coat that very much did not have a winter lining. It wasn't too bad. My mom told me flesh was supposed to freeze in just about 2 minutes but that very much did not happen.

yukina
09-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Crazy temps. I don't think I can survive anything lower than 20 Celsius for a long period of time. That's some skin you've got there!

Pike
09-13-2013, 03:26 PM
20 Celsius

I just looked this up and it's pretty warm to me. I much prefer cooler temperatures. I'd give examples but then it's going to turn into some sort of temperature scale debate and cba :)

Slothy
09-14-2013, 03:10 AM
I just don't understand how you expect to be a satisfactory robot without going metric Pike.

yukina
09-14-2013, 03:59 AM
20 Celsius

I just looked this up and it's pretty warm to me. I much prefer cooler temperatures. I'd give examples but then it's going to turn into some sort of temperature scale debate and cba :)

This is warm but in a country that doesn't have winter, this counts as winter temps. Haha. When I visit my relatives in the US next winter, I think I'll turn into a popsicle.

Mirage
09-14-2013, 10:39 AM

BUT NOT IN KELVIN
WHINE WHINE WHINE

Aulayna
09-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Winter is the best season in the UK/Ireland at least.

Fresh air.

Pretty coats.

Pretty scarves.

Tights.

Boots.

Always being able to just put an extra layer on.

Snow. (before it gets turned into Slush... also maybe not so much in Cork as they've never heard of grit either)

Christmas.

That awesome feeling in the morning when you wake up all toasty in bed, put your toes out, realise how cold it is and then enjoy that extra 5-10 minutes in bed.

Mirage
09-14-2013, 12:11 PM
The air is just as fresh in summer! As long as you're not in the middle of a city.

And you can use most of those things in autumn anyway.

Aulayna
09-14-2013, 12:32 PM
As long as you're not in the middle of a city.

That's the issue for me :( Pretty much always been in a city apart from the 4 years or so I lived in Great Yarmouth.

Mirage
09-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I have been living in a city for the last decade or so. It is really refreshening to go on a mountain hike in the middle of summer, though. You should try it!

Kalen
09-16-2013, 04:01 AM
Once I almost moved somewhere that never gets cold.

But then I just put a hot tub on my credit card. ;)

Jess
09-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Winter comfort food & drinks. Soup, pie, casseroles, tea and hot chocolate with marshmallows.

I also prefer dressing for winter. Layering tops, jumpers and cardigans. But best of all, boots. I love boots. Warm, snuggly feet.

Shaibana
09-26-2013, 10:20 PM
one of the things i love about the winter is that you can snug up in a way to big warm sweater and some loose 'tracksuit' pants with very warm socks.

that the oppertunity comes to start sledging with the dogs again, i would do a murder to do that once again.

Putting a 2nd bedspread on the bed

escobert
09-30-2013, 05:49 AM
running naked in the snow! :D

Shorty
09-30-2013, 05:49 AM
crazyass

Shaibana
09-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Pepernoten ( a snack on a dutch 'tradition' called Sinterklaas).
even though Sinterklaas starts in December, Pepernoten are already in the supermarked somewhere halfway August. it seems to het there earlyer every year.

Christmas, though we dont even celebrate it it still has a feeling to it.
i actually already heard 1 christmas song on the radio already :P haha, but that does not really count since it was a 'top 25 from the last 25 years'