PDA

View Full Version : Miley Cyrus' raunchy performance at the 2013 VMAs, and why I hate her now

SuperMillionaire
09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Did anyone see Miley Cyrus' raunchy performance of her new single, "We Can't Stop," at the 2013 MTV VMAs"? She simulated many sex acts, including bending down with her glutes on Robin Thicke's pelvis, and popularized "twerking," which is a disgusting dance, during which she used the foam finger as a phallic symbol, at which the creator of the foam finger is disgusted at. The VMAs seem to attract controversy every year, whether it would be from raunchy performances like Miley's or Lady GaGa's, which was overshadowed by Miley's performance (not to mention Britney and Christina locking lips with Madonna a few years back), or other things, such as Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift after she upset Beyonce for the "Song of the Year" award ("You Belong With Me" beat "Single Ladies"), but this performance was considered by many to be downright crass.

To be honest, I HATE Miley Cyrus now, for what she has become. She used to be nicer as her retired Disney alter-ego, Hannah Montana, and early in her career as herself, she was also pretty good, but seeing what she's become now, I can't stand her anymore. I mean, how in the world did she go from something so wholesome to something so raunchy?!

The song "We Can't Stop," which contains the line "dancing with Molly," referring to drug use (though some people can alternately interpret the line as "dancing with Miley"), is from her new album, entitled Bangerz, which will be released soon, and on RCA Records, after she left Hollywood Records, where all of her prior albums came from, and according to Wikipedia, it will have a Parental Advisory sticker on it. Her next single is called "Wrecking Ball," and in the video, she goes COMPLETELY NUDE. Now, I haven't seen the actual video, but I have seen screenshots of it, which were too racy to be safe for work (or school, for that matter).

Like I have stated many times before, I have never actually watched Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel, but I liked her for her music from that show. What got me into her music was a few other relatives who did watch the show. If you were to quiz me on whatever went on during the course of the show, I would do very poorly, but I still liked her music back then. I've also noticed that many of you on this forum have hated her since the beginning, but do you hate her more now than ever, because while I liked her back then, I absolutely despise her now.

Denmark
09-12-2013, 08:42 PM
The song "We Can't Stop," which contains the line "dancing with Molly,"

I'm like 99.9% sure she says "dancing with Miley".

Her music is catchy. I really don't care what a performer does in their personal life unless it's like, punching babies or something like that.

Miley in particular had a really fucked up childhood (how would you like your dad to be the "Achy Breaky Heart" guy?), had a lot of attention on her during her formative years, etc etc. She's being a young adult. She happens to be richer than people her age, but she's nearly 21 and is not making music for children anymore. Why is that a problem?

Jinx
09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
We Can't Stop is a damn good song.

You are still free to dislike whatever you want and disagree with how she portrayed herself in her new video, but you might want to consider this before you're just like OH MY GOD A NAKED FEMALE BODY SO OFFENSE WHAT A STUPID :bou::bou::bou::bou: SLUT:

Shauna
09-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I like how it's not even "I have kind of went off her, I don't really like her new image...", it's that you despise her now. That's awfully extreme. I think you need to calm your jets. :3

Denmark
09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I think Katy Perry should go back to making Christian music

Jinx
09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Britney Spears should go back to being in the Mickey Mouse Club.

Bolivar
09-12-2013, 09:03 PM
On Sephex's stream we got to the Sir Cyrus part of Chrono Trigger and touched on the VMA thing.... We were kinda proud that EoFF, especially EoEO didn't make a thread about it.

Anyway, I don't think much good can come from what she's doing now, its sad that so many former teen stars feel like they need to overcompensate and differentiate themselves from their past. I know she wanted to express something mature with this new video but it should've been obvious how it would be taken after the VMAs. And telling the observer that their interpretation is wrong just isn't how art works.

Hollycat
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't actually hate Wrecking ball. I don't like it either, and I don't get why she was naked, but I don't hate it. On the other hand, the VMA's made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Pike
Britney Spears should go back to being in the Mickey Mouse Club.

Any Mickey Mouse Club that wasn't the original Mickey Mouse Club from the 50s is the wrong Mickey Mouse Club.

Anyways I don't care what Miley Cyrus did because it's her choice, she can do what she wants to.

Jinx
No, I'm just tired of hearing people say she's a slut or a whore and how she's a horrible human being who's going to burn in Hell. It gets old. So you didn't like what she did? Great, that's your opinion. I even said that. But do you really care so much about someone whom you've never even met that you now HATE them or think they're a slut without even knowing them?

Sephex
09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
On Sephex's stream we got to the Sir Cyrus part of Chrono Trigger and touched on the VMA thing.... We were kinda proud that EoFF, especially EoEO didn't make a thread about it.

But I knew it was going to happen. Good memory, man.

Denmark
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
well, unfortunately, people are idiots when it comes to the assessment of celebrities.

take, for example, this website (http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Rock-n-Roll/beatles.htm)

Tragically, The Beatles were heathen Communists

Freya
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
She's a skank. A dirty dirty skank who is making a shit ton of money from acting that way. The more people talk, the more views she gets, the more attention she gets, the more money she makes. So yeah, go ahead, call her names and watch her nekkid butt on a wrecking ball, it's making her money :D

Infamy is still fame.

Pete for President
09-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Just dropping it in here:

Every single thing superstars like Miley do is planned and instructed by marketeers and producers. They want money. Sex sells. Controversy creates a buzz. Don't believe anything you see or hear, because these people are actors. Entertainers. Not even artists, for an artist creates, and superstars have everything created for them, including their personalities.

Personally, I think no-one should waste their time on "issues" like these.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-12-2013, 09:50 PM
God, I just want to have sex with her.

EDIT: I went ahead and actually watched her 'Wrecking Ball' video. I actually thought it was tastefully done, unlike her VMA performance. The video did really did relay the feeling of immense emotional pain. Which is what I assume was the whole point.

I also refuse to believe in any conspiracy theories, from superstars who do everything according to a plan just for the money, to political leaders making shit up just to go to war and make money. I just don't buy into any of that shit. Some people are fucked up, and I believe that the spotlight (any kind of spotlight) does absolutely nothing to help that.

Shlup
09-13-2013, 12:41 AM
It's not that "raunchy" bothers me, it's that she's become the epitome of Trying Too Hard. It reminds me of my whackjob sister. xP

Pheesh
09-13-2013, 12:43 AM
What was the deal with the tongue thing? I was legitimately freaked out by her putting her tongue out like that through the whole performance.

Jessweeee♪
09-13-2013, 12:45 AM
I don't think it was that big of a deal. Not to mention a crap ton of people had to have collaborated on this, not just Miley herself :p

Cuchulainn
09-13-2013, 12:49 AM
She needs to stop doing that tongue thing. It looks smurfing stupid. She also needs better advice and PR as she has made a massive own goal here. But she's young, she'll learn.

Btw NONE of what she's done makes her a 'skank' or a 'slut'. You need more qualifications for that other than acting like a twat on stage in an ugly rubber suit.

As to the OP, why do you always get so fucking dramatic of what some popstar does but have nothing to say on anty topic that actually fucking matters?

Madame Adequate
09-13-2013, 12:59 AM
"Hate"? "Despise"?

That's a bit intense mate.

I mean, Bashar al-Assad is alive. Hosni Mubarak. Or George Bush and Dick Cheney if you prefer. There are some seriously nasty people who are responsible for a lot of deaths alive today. Cameron and Clegg's policies are directly responsible for suicides in the UK. Here's some war criminals and people betraying their constituents for a quick buck... aaaaaand here's Miley Cyrus.

Quindiana Jones
09-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Bolivar
09-13-2013, 01:21 AM
It's not that "raunchy" bothers me, it's that she's become the epitome of Trying Too Hard.

Yes. There's being Provocative, there's Challenging sexual norms, there's tongue-and-cheek raunchiness...

And then there's rubbing and swiping a foam finger all over a dude's business in front of millions of teenagers who grew up on you when you were a child star.

I guess in her defense, Robin Thicke was a lot creepier in agreeing to this than she was. ..

Laddy
09-13-2013, 01:26 AM
It was a bad performance and a thinly-veiled and deliberate grab for attention. Won't buy Miley's albums or whatevs.

Can we talk about Syria now?

Denmark
09-13-2013, 01:28 AM
I think Miley took the inspiration for the tongue thing from http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/567/294/michael-jordan-tongue_display_image.jpg?1292394885
come on and slam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqkr_wvJXGg)

Agent Proto
09-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Her VMA performance was certainly something, but I don't think we should start treating her like she's the worst thing ever. I just think she needs to straighten up her act. She's made some questionable decisions in the last couple years, and frankly I think she'll be fine in the future, if not now.

Shiny
09-13-2013, 02:22 AM
Shlup's right. She's a Try-Hard. Best to ignore her so she can meet the same fate of every Disney star before her.

Calliope
09-13-2013, 02:52 AM
She simulated many sex acts, including bending down with her glutes on Robin Thicke's pelvis, and popularized "twerking," which is a disgusting dance, during which she used the foam finger as a phallic symbol, at which the creator of the foam finger is disgusted at. The VMAs seem to attract controversy every year, whether it would be from raunchy performances like Miley's or Lady GaGa's, which was overshadowed by Miley's performance (not to mention Britney and Christina lockintg lips with Madonna a few years back), or other things, such as Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift after she upset Beyonce for the "Song of the Year" award ("You Belong With Me" beat "Single Ladies"), but this performance was considered by many to be downright crass.

To be honest, I HATE Miley Cyrus now, for what she has become. She used to be nicer as her retired Disney alter-ego, Hannah Montana, and early in her career as herself, she was also pretty good, but seeing what she's become now, I can't stand her anymore. I mean, how in the world did she go from something so wholesome to something so raunchy?!

Her next single is called "Wrecking Ball," and in the video, she goes COMPLETELY NUDE. Now, I haven't seen the actual video, but I have seen screenshots of it, which were too racy to be safe for work (or school, for that matter).

I've also noticed that many of you on this forum have hated her since the beginning, but do you hate her more now than ever, because while I liked her back then, I absolutely despise her now.

You know what I absolutely despise? Slut-shaming judgemental assholes who don't do their research. You hate Miley Cyrus? Well that's cool, just don't listen to her music. I don't. I don't think that there's anything particularly surprising about Miley Cyrus wanting to turn her ultra-controlled, micro-managed Disney franchise childhood on its head as she grows into a young adult, even if I don't agree with her creative choices. In terms of expressing herself as an oversexualized being in her physical prime, that's her choice; and I am free to respond to that by not engaging with her creative content if I don't want to.

What I do take issue with is the fact that she appropriated twerking from West African/hip-hop/ratchet culture, and surrounded herself with black women who she literally used as props during her VMA performance. I cannot stand it when people of privileged fetishize and profit from cultures that they can then choose not to participate in when it is convenient for them. Miley Cyrus gets to slap a black woman's ass for shock value and then profit from it, all the while being "trendy" for stealing someone else's culture. She gets to play at being "ghetto" or dancing like a stripper, when the reality is that she and her family are wealthy enough that she never has to do a day of work in her life, and she shows no respect for people who do have to deal with poverty and abuse.

I hated Britney and Madonna locking lips too - not because it was "slutty", but because they were dabbling in the presentation of bisexuality as something scandalous to entertain others; which is troutty given that they don't have to deal with any of the consequences of actually being bisexual. I also hated the thought of Robin Thicke being on a stage anywhere (why is Miley Cyrus getting all the flack while he still gets to sing his terrible song?) promoting a song about date rape and saying things like "what a pleasure it is to degrade a woman".

Del Murder
09-13-2013, 03:14 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for SuperMillionaire to make this thread.

Night Fury
09-13-2013, 03:30 AM
Oh please.

I don't like Miley either, but I don't hate her. I'm disappointed in her because she can sing so well when she does country music. But I can see from here that she's in so much pain over things, she's been put into the spotlight so early and controlled yada yada, and it's taken a toll on her. Who here has done anything smurfing stupid when they're in pain and can't deal? I'm going to raise my hand. I'm going to raise my hand like 12 times.

Leave her alone for smurfs sake. She is what, 20 years old? Who here was the perfectly sensible and mature person at 20 years old? She has so much to learn, and she'll probably look back on this in like 10 years time and be like "Shiiiit, I actually did that. smurf." Who cares? Only she can learn from her mistakes.

Please get down from your pedestal and stop slut shaming, and maybe, just maybe you should be sending more of your 'hate' to Robin Thicke. The guy who created the most degrading song and video in a long time. Are you going to slut shame the girls in that video too? Or is it okay for them to do that for whatever reason?

EDIT: Also, twerking is not a disgusting dance, it's so much fun. Maybe you should try it.

Miriel
09-13-2013, 03:41 AM
It's not that "raunchy" bothers me, it's that she's become the epitome of Trying Too Hard. It reminds me of my whackjob sister. xP

This SO much. What the smurf is wrong with her tongue? Why is it always out? Why??

She comes off as so incredibly desperate.

I also think she is incredibly limited in talent, is rather unattractive, and doesn't have much class. That being said, she's a nothingburger, I hope she just goes away one day rather than continuing to try and provoke a reaction out of people by doing one desperate thing after another. I'm surprised by how strong the reaction was to her performance. I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Oh it's Miley being Miley". All that attention she got for it was probably exactly what she wanted. She strikes me as one of those people who doesn't quite grasp it when people are laughing at her instead of with her. Or if she does, she doesn't care. One of those qualities that reality TV stars tend to have in spades.

black orb
09-13-2013, 03:59 AM
>>> That stuff keep selling? I mean, getting naked and look stupid on a music video? :eep: :luca:

krissy
09-13-2013, 04:05 AM
ok

why aren't we concerned about robin thicke who i have heard say on live radio that his recent music video is 'tongue in cheek'

when it is clearly abusive and promotes degradation of women, not unlike his performance with miley that night

How to Talk With Your Sons About Robin Thicke ? Eric Clapp 3.0 (http://ericclapp.org/2013/08/28/how-to-talk-with-your-sons-about-robin-thicke/)

i was glad to see backlash at least on my facebook about this
but the front pages of local newspapers only had miley on the cover

bull sheize

Miriel
09-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Oh Robin Thicke totally grosses me out too. Wtf was he wearing? It was just as bad as what Miley was wearing during the performance. Plus, the music video for that song is seriously smurfed up.

And he doesn't have the benefit of being young and stupid. He's middle aged and stupid.

The Man
09-13-2013, 06:12 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for SuperMillionaire to make this thread.

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew who made it. I also knew that he would make a thread about it here as soon as I heard the explosion about it on the internet.

I really can't bring myself to care about Miley's conduct much. The appropriation of black culture is the only thing I find bothersome about her behaviour, and of course Robin Thicke was on stage being about a million times worse and no one gives a smurf because he's not a barely-older-than-teenage girl. Even so, as MILF already pointed out, there are war criminals and trout to worry about. Anyone who "despises" Miley over this has completely lost the plot.

Freya
09-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Yah but with robin thicke it isnt anything new. Back in like 2008 he had a song called Sex Therapy that was just about having sex when you want it. It's kinda his thing. It's not right, but it's not new for him. People are shocked about the miley thing cause It's so different than her stuff before. Now on the other hand look at other female "slutpop" artist. Such as early ke$ha. We weren't shocked by her stuff cause that was her image. It's just the drastic change people dont like.

Jinx
09-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Robin Thicke has been around since 2008?!

Pike
09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I have no idea who or what Robin Thicke is and I can't be bothered to look it up. Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything. :monster:

Edit: As others have said, best not to associate certain "acts" with the actual person. As an example Ke$ha had near perfect SAT scores and took all sorts of history, math, and physics classes just because she thought they were interesting. I don't know if Miley Cyrus is like that because I know nothing about her, but, well, you never know.

Mirage
09-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Did she rustle your jimmies, SuperMill?

Jinx
09-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Did she rustle your jimmies, SuperMill?

He wishes.

Denmark
09-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Robin Thicke is more of a disgrace since he's Alan Thicke's son. Pretty sure Alan Thicke has more respect these days than Billy Ray Cyrus.

omg can we get Billy Ray Cyrus and Alan Thicke to remake their children's performance

Jinx
09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
f-UWnmcRxzs

Fqsqd9b-HEM

Shorty
09-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Miley can act how she wants. It's not cool to act so desperate for attention, but it's worse to slut shame.

Robin Thicke totally deserve the worse criticism of that performance purely for the sake of his smurfing horrendous and sexist pig song.

noxious.sunshine
09-13-2013, 03:37 PM
I genuinely like Miley. While I normally have no qualms with stuff like how she was in her performance, I think that her -outfit- was what made her look so bad. In the "We Can't Stop" video, she really looks like a cracked out trailer park ho bag. The leggings with the sports bra just aren't flattering.

But she -is- a pretty damn good performer on the whole (anyone remember when she sang "When I Look At You" on So You Think You Can Dance? or when she sang her first single on American Idol?). She's growing up. People need to respect that. Britney went through the same thing.. There was major backlash when she popped out in that nude colored outfit on the VMAs to sing "Oops! I Did It Again".

And aside from that.. It kills me that -parents- are saying "My child doesn't need to see Hannah Montana twerking on stage in the nude!" ... Like, DUH. It's the VMAs, for one. It's freaking MTV, for 2. And 3, change the goddamn channel and spend time with your child instead of bitching about what other people do.

Chris
09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
I have no opinion on her music, but the whole tongue thing creeps me out a little.

http://www.hollyzood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/miley-cyrus-giant-snake-tongue.jpg

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/33/618x602/miley-cyrus-tongue-2.jpg

Mirage
09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
She looks like she has a bigger tongue than I have, and I'm like twice her size. That's creepy, indeed.

Evastio
09-14-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm personally not very fond of the direction Miley's taken now and how excessive she's being in what she does, but it could be worse.

Miley in particular had a really fucked up childhood (how would you like your dad to be the "Achy Breaky Heart" guy?)

Could you elaborate more on this? I actually wasn't aware of anything like this, and I'm wanting to know since it'd probably explain quite a lot.

Spuuky
09-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Could you elaborate more on this? I actually wasn't aware of anything like this, and I'm wanting to know since it'd probably explain quite a lot.Elaborate how?

Billy Ray Cyrus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Ray_Cyrus)

Jiro
09-14-2013, 02:50 AM
I don't find the performance (or Miley's new persona) particularly appealing but that's as far as my judgement goes. Let her be what she wants to be. Slut shaming is just fucking terrible. Why are we all so prudish that people who enjoy sex and being and feeling sexy are frowned upon? Get the fuck off your high horse because you're not perfect and I'm sure you have ~depraved~ thoughts too. She's not hurting anyone so whatever.

Blurred Lines is a catch song but its lyrics are horrendous and Robin Thicke probably needs to be held accountable. I don't buy the "oh Pharrell and me just wanted to push the boundaries 'cause we're both great husbands" bullshit; your song is not a critique of the problem, it is celebrating it. Mind you that brunette chick in the video was banging, but fuck this rape culture and fuck this slut shaming culture which inevitably puts women in a no-win position.

Freya
09-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Yeah guys, stop being skanks about people. Skanks. :colbert:

Mirage
09-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Is that your final answer?

NeoCracker
09-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Not on topic, but the line is in fact "Dancing With Molly" and not "Dancing with Miley".

...I'm really depressed I know this.

supernaps
09-14-2013, 09:16 PM
I saw that performance the other day on my cable, and I found it hilarious. I don't know much about her, but apparently she was put on this ~sweet girl~ pedestal, and because she now does whatever the hell she wants, is that a bad thing? I mean, she didn't change her music sound, did she? Just the image.

Meh, imo, she can do whatever she wants, so long as she doesn't shit on someone else.

escobert
09-14-2013, 09:19 PM
There are FAR more pressing matters in this world than a 20 year old dancing around.

and that shitty noise they call blurred lines needs to be deleted form the world.

Elskidor
09-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Miley? Oh yeah, that Disney chick has some decent music. Could care less about the rest, but Breaking Bad did give a pretty good parody using that VMA video so kudos for her...I suppose.

Shiny
10-02-2013, 07:38 PM
I hope she performs this song (http://youtu.be/ii5IUihNuno) next year.

SuperMillionaire
10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
More recently, Miley Cyrus has gotten into a feud with Irish singer Sinead O'Connor, after the latter advised her about her recent reckless ways.

The Sinead O'Connor and Miley feud isn't over ? The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/04/the-sinead-oconnor-and-miley-feud-isnt-over/)

She wrote her first note after Cyrus stated that her video for "Wrecking Ball" was inspired by O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to You," stating that the music business does not care about her, and will prostitute her for all she's worth, which will end up with her finding herself all alone in a hard place, while her exploiters will be relaxing in their million-dollar yachts (she's right, you know), and that it is not cool for her to flaunt herself in such an erotic manner (I agree), after which Miley responded by posting O'Connor's history of mental issues, while also mentioning Amanda Bynes' current problems in the process. O'Connor then responded with a second letter that stated that she might threaten legal action in a lawsuit. Miley then responded by posting a photo of O'Connor ripping up a picture of Pope John Paul II on an appearance on Saturday Night Live (which subsequently caused her to never top the U.S. charts again, and Miley will be hosting the show sometime this month too, so I can only imagine her ripping up a picture of O'Connor during her performance), to which O'Connor responded with a third letter, stating that when Cyrus ends up in either the psych ward or rehab, she'll come visit.

Now, when it comes to O'Connor telling Cyrus that it is not cool for her to flaunt herself in such a raunchy manner, another singer who agrees with her is, of all people, Britney Spears, who collaborated with Cyrus on the title track of her new album, which is named "SMS (Bangerz)," and also appeared in the MTV documentary Miley: The Movement.

Britney Spears, Sinead O?Connor, Miley Cyrus sound off on sex, music | Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/inside_track/the_inside_track/2013/10/britney_spears_sinead_o_connor_miley_cyrus_sound_off_on_sex)

In a recent interview, Spears stated that though a lot of sex goes into what she does (and it's true), she believes that there is too much pressure on her and other female artists to be "sexy," and sometimes, she feels that it's better to go back to the old days (as in the "Baby One More Time" era), despite the fact that her most recent song is called "Work B[leep]." Now that she is the mother of two young sons, aged 7 and 8, she feels that it may not be appropriate for her children to watch.

To be honest, I agree with both Britney Spears and Sinead O'Connor about Miley's wild ways. She needs to stop this now before she becomes the next Lindsay Lohan.

noxious.sunshine
10-06-2013, 01:22 AM
It is -not- dancing with Molly.

it's "dancing with Miley."

If you listen hard enough, you can hear that that's clearly what she says.

Even googling the lyrics will tell you that.

Mirage
10-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Oh hey her nipples are available on the internet now.

Just thought that was kind of on topic.

The Man
10-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Are they worth looking up?

Jinx
10-06-2013, 04:46 AM
It is -not- dancing with Molly.

it's "dancing with Miley."

If you listen hard enough, you can hear that that's clearly what she says.

Even googling the lyrics will tell you that.

As much as I want it to be "dancing with Miley" for the camp factor, it's most definitely "dancing with Molly."

Shorty
10-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Miley Cyrus Admits To Singing About Molly On 'We Can't Stop' (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/miley-cyrus-molly_n_3634422.html)

I've never heard this song, but if I had to take a guess based on her recent career moves, I would guess for molly because it's "edgy" which seems like what she's trying so hard to be lately.

Freya
10-06-2013, 07:19 AM
She's said that it is dancing with molly when bitching about them editing things.

Also yeah you can totally see her nipples in the new photoshoot she did. Girl is cray cray

noxious.sunshine
10-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Yep. I watched SNL with her. She did acoustic of "We Can't Stop".. and she said "Molly". Damnit Miley.
And then in one skit they pulled out the American Girl Molly Doll and was like "Since you're always singing about Molly.. Isn't this who it is?!"

The poor girl, though... She can barely make it through singing "Wrecking Ball". I almost cried -for- her.

She's sooooo good live though.. She really is.

SuperMillionaire
10-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Yes, Cyrus hosted Saturday Night Live on October 5-6, and the cold opening act pretty much recapped all of the controversy of the VMAs. It took place in a post-apocalyptic New York City in the year 2045, stating that though some believed it was caused by either the government shutdown or Obamacare, the real cause of the apocalypse was Cyrus' performance at the VMAs, which is widely known for its tendency to produce controversy year after year. We then flashed back to just before the VMAs, which was a time-travel story that involved Cyrus' past self during the Hannah Montana era, warning her about the potential shock it could cause. And speaking of Hannah Montana herself at her opening monologue, Cyrus stated that she was murdered. (And we all know that she died at your own hands, Miley.) Cyrus also parodied her own song, "We Can't Stop," as "We Did Stop (The Government)," referencing the government shutdown, which, as of now, has been going on for 10 days thus far.

When Cyrus stated that Hannah Montana was murdered, it should be noted that she really meant that she is no longer her. In the fictional series, Hannah Montana, aka Miley Stewart, retired in 2011 at the series finale; her last album, ironically titled Hannah Montana Forever, was released in 2010, while the series finale aired in January 2011, and in that episode, Miley Stewart decides to attend college with her best friend Lilly.

In real life, it was clear that Hannah Montana was on life support, and pretty much doomed, after Cyrus' recent antics and the release of the "We Can't Stop" single and music video, and that as of August 25, 2013, after her performance at the VMAs, if you think about it, Hannah Montana has been officially, symbolically, murdered by Miley Cyrus. She wanted to get rid of her alter ego for quite some time now; as many as four years ago, when she pole danced at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards, and then the following year, in 2010, she released Can't Be Tamed, along with its title track, people had a feeling that she was doomed. At that time, she was still fettered by Hannah Montana, but in 2013, she had no further ties with her retired alter ego. Shouldn't she realize that without Hannah Montana, she would have never been famous in the first place?

Hannah Montana was a bubbly, wholesome, teen pop idol for thousands, if not millions, of young girls, both domestically and internationally, and now, Miley Cyrus has ruined the memories of all of those young girls when she subjected them, and their parents, to what some consider a vicious slaughter of a wholesome pop idol by stripping and twerking against Robin Thicke's pelvis (not to mention that he was also dressed as Beetlejuice) at the VMAs, the perfect stage for such a performance. (She also ruined the foam finger in the process, by using it to symbolize a man's penis.)

Now, we all know that Hannah Montana isn't actually a real person, but some news sources have written articles about it as an obituary, calling it "the death of Hannah Montana." The cause of death, according to the coroner's office: a combination of neglect, shame, and twerking. Her official date of death has been confirmed as August 25, 2013. She would have been 21 on November 23 (both Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus were born on November 23, 1992).

Obituary: Hannah Montana dies of neglect and shame at the VMAs - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/obituary-hannah-montana-dies-of-neglect-and-shame-at-the-vmas/article13948487/)

R.I.P Hannah Montana: 2013 MTV VMA's was 'the day the music died' - Knoxville Celebrity Headlines | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/article/r-i-p-hannah-montana-2013-mtv-vma-s-was-the-day-the-music-died)

R.I.P. Hannah Montana | Outlook AUB (http://outlookaub.com/2013/09/18/r-i-p-hannah-montana/)

Others, especially fans, even including other celebrities, also treated her as a real person, mourning her death, and telling her to "rest in peace."

Twitter Mourns The Death Of Hannah Montana After Last Night's VMAs (http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/twitter-mourns-the-death-of-hannah-montana-after-last-nights)

Some even take it a step further by creating "memorials" for her, including two designs for Hannah Montana's grave tombstone that I've discovered so far:

http://outlookaub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Hannah-Montana-imgur.com_JmWMpE2-1.jpg

Mockazine: Rest In Peace, Hannah Montana. (http://www.mockazine.com/mockazine/2013/08/rest-in-peace-hannah-montana.html#axzz2hG40vP2P)

Some of you may have hated her back then, but I hate her a hundred times more now, because at least Hannah Montana was decent and wholesome, as opposed to the trashy Miley Cyrus, who might as well be a porn star (not that she looks good as one, though).

With that, it's clear that Hannah Montana is now officially pronounced dead, having been symbolically murdered in cold blood by none other than Miley Cyrus, who stated this herself on Saturday Night Live. She didn't say who murdered her, but we all know that it was in fact you, Cyrus.

I should also note that one of Cyrus' most unlikely defenders is feminist icon Gloria Steinem, who blamed not Miley herself, but the culture that we live in.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/gloria-steinem-responds-mileygate-013155221.html

"You know, I don't think so. I wish we didn't have to be nude to be noticed, but given the game as it exists, women make decisions. For instance, the Miss America contest is in all of its states, forms… the single greatest source of scholarship money for women in the United States. If a contest based only on appearance was the single greatest source of scholarship money for men, we would be saying, 'This is why China wins.' You know? It's ridiculous. But that's the way the culture is. I think that we need to change the culture, not blame the people that are playing the only game that exists."

She is very right about one thing: pop culture today relies too much on shock value, and that needs to change. However, the Miss America pageant objectifies women in a positive way; she is decent and wholesome, and is a scholarly Main Street girl next door. She has class, grace, and intelligence, and desires to do positive and productive things in life. And though Hannah Montana was a bit closer to this standard (apart from celebrity status), Miley Cyrus is very far from it.

R.I.P. Hannah Montana
November 23, 1992 - August 25, 2013

Shauna
10-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I just feel a great "So What?" with a sigh as my general response. She's moving on from her teenage career. Good for her. Not to mention that Hannah Montana isn't real. Like, this entire post is such an overreaction. ._.

Sephex
10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
This is the funniest post I have ever seen.

Denmark
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM
yep, kids can't grow up and become their own person

judge based on quality of the music, jeez

2mjvfnUAfyo

Quindiana Jones
10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
If people acted like one of my characters was a real person whilst ignoring or straight up insulting me, I'd probably go a bit barmy, too.

Jinx
10-10-2013, 05:39 PM
How dare she grow up and do what she wants like an adult who is no longer contracted with Disney. How dare she.

Sephex
10-10-2013, 05:49 PM
How dare she grow up and do what she wants like an adult who is no longer contracted with Disney. How dare she.

She'll change her image again in a few years after she is done laughing her way to the bank. My money is on a Pokemon themed album with Carols Santana doing lead guitar on the future hit single. This album will be called "Poke'hanna Santana."

noxious.sunshine
10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
who the hell is Carols Santana?

OH. -Carlos- .. XD

Also, I'm becoming of the opinion that Millionaire -is- a News whateverthechuck y'all call it.

Shauna
10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I dunno... Unless a newsbot can have an affinity for armpits...

krissy
10-11-2013, 03:55 AM
However, the Miss America pageant objectifies women in a positive way;

well that's good, that means things are ok now. gives me time to
get back to dehumanizing other groups of people in positive ways
like pop stars and mexicans

ob·jec·ti·fy
/əbˈjektəˌfī/
Verb
1) Express (something abstract) in a concrete form: "good poetry objectifies feeling". <- not relevant to this conversation
2) Degrade to the status of a mere object.
Synonyms
reify

anyway
http://tressiemc.com/2013/08/27/when-your-brown-body-is-a-white-wonderland/

Chris
10-11-2013, 09:07 AM
May I just say one thing about the whole Sinéad O'Connor thing.

Sinéad wrote the letter as a well-intended gesture, and Miley responded by going on Twitter, and started belittling Sinéad for having bipolar. So, she didn't take kindly to Sinéad's advice? Fine, but she responded in such an immature and quite frankly disgusting way.

Jiro
10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
How would you feel about a thirty year old Miley Cyrus trying to sing for the 13 year old age bracket? It would be weird, wouldn't it? She's ageing and growing and changing and her music and behaviour follows suit. Sure, some of it might be in bad taste, but what does it matter?

She's no longer corrupting the youth 'cause her music ain't for them any more. Again, get off your high horses; let her be who she wants to be. Maybe if she was ~off the rails~ like y'know Lindsey Lohan or something your scathing judgement might be acceptable, but I find it to be a little bit rich.

Mind you, she's not allowed to just be a bitch to people either. I just don't get the whole slut shaming crap.

Old Manus
10-11-2013, 11:58 AM
long post ending in obituaryPost of the year 2013. This stuff is absolute comedy gold. I love you and your threads. I've never know anyone get so up in arms about such pressing issues as Miss World, NASCAR, the Titanic, and fictional Disney characters. Never stop fighting the irrelevant fight on internet messageboards.

Jinx
10-11-2013, 12:22 PM
long post ending in obituaryPost of the year 2013. This stuff is absolute comedy gold. I love you and your threads. I've never know anyone get so up in arms about such pressing issues as Miss World, NASCAR, the Titanic, and fictional Disney characters. Never stop fighting the irrelevant fight on internet messageboards.

Don't forget the armpits.

noxious.sunshine
10-11-2013, 05:51 PM
NASCAR is a very serious matter, Damnit.

Bolivar
10-11-2013, 09:20 PM
How would you feel about a thirty year old Miley Cyrus trying to sing for the 13 year old age bracket

Honestly Jiro I have to think that still is a huge section of her demographic and the marketing team at her record label knows it.

Also, slut shaming is the cruel scrutiny of a woman for exercising her own private sexual independence. Publicly teaching teenagers to pole dance and grind all over older men in order to sell records is a completely different matter, and it trivializes real misogyny to compare the two.

Night Fury
10-12-2013, 06:36 AM
I don't have much to say on this, other than I think Sinead is a bit of a bellend too.

Her letter was basically slut-shaming, whilst ignoring Robin Thicke's participation in the whole thing, and that plenty of young men (Justin Bieber) are selling their 'sexuality' to record companies and tween girls.

noxious.sunshine
10-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Omg Justin Bieber grew up too!? No way*

Mirage
10-12-2013, 07:35 PM
After recently seeing some clips of her from SNL, I think she has pretty sexy abs. Because of this, I think I like her more now than when she was working for Disney. No, I am not shallow.

Calliope
10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
I've been waiting to see if any of the backup dancers would make their feelings known, and finally one of them is speaking up. Surprise surprise, they found it a completely degrading experience! (http://holliseum.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/on-being-a-little-person/comment-page-3/#comments)

Mirage
10-14-2013, 09:52 PM
But they still did it!

Jinx
10-14-2013, 10:53 PM
But they still did it!

That's sort of my feeling on it too. Like, it sucks. But that girl chose to do something she knew she considered demeaning to further her career. I don't really feel that bad for her.

SuperMillionaire
10-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Yes, that backup dancer did participate in that performance, but regretted it, and thought about joining Cyrus for her upcoming tour (which has not yet been announced), but declined, stating that it was not worth it, because she was too embarrassed by her VMAs performance.

I forgot to point this out earlier, but in case you don't exactly get what Cyrus means by "Molly," she means MDMA. "Molly" is a slang term for the MDMA drug.

When looking up other former Disney girls, I noticed that not all Disney bad girls are created equal. Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and the worst of all, Lindsay Lohan all are on the higher end of the spectrum, with extremely racy lyrics, outfits, and music videos (Miley and Christina worse than Britney, overall, though, and Britney got her life back together, whereas Lindsay has not), but others, such as Hilary Duff, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, and Vanessa Hudgens are on the lower end of the spectrum. In the case of Demi Lovato, she tried to cut herself, and had a few minor drug issues, so she ended up going to rehab, and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder; she later rebounded from that and is now a judge and coach on the U.S. version of The X Factor, alongside Simon Cowell (and formerly Britney Spears). For the other three, they had a few racy photos and/or movie roles; Hilary Duff had a Maxim magazine photo shoot and a racy movie role (I forgot which movie she starred in, but I can vaguely recall that role involving sticking a scorpion in her pants or something), but she later faded away, and is now a married mother. Vanessa Hudgens took a nude photo of herself when she was just 15 (as did Miley Cyrus), and both she and Selena Gomez starred in the R-Rated 2012 movie Spring Breakers, though it was not widely promoted, and bombed at the box office. Another notable star in that movie is Ashley Benson from the ABC Family TV series Pretty Little Liars. There is also the possibility of a High School Musical reunion special, which the former stars of the series, including both Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale, among others, are interested in.

Did Miley Cyrus' VMAs performance hurt the Disney brand? | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/27/miley-cyrus-vmas-performance-hurt-disney-brand/)

Also, according to the article above, back in the days when Walt Disney himself was running his company, scandals such as those involving Miley Cyrus would have been unthinkable. Why? Because he was strict with his child stars, and taught them discipline and self-respect. One of the last few stars to come out completely unscathed, and probably the biggest star until Hilary Duff came along, was Annette Funicello, back in the 1960s, who grew up to be a beach party film star. She respected Walt Disney's wishes that she would not go nude, even many years after leaving The Mickey Mouse Club. She died on April 8, 2013 at the age of 70, due to complications from multiple sclerosis, and the Disney Channel Original Movie Teen Beach Movie is dedicated in her memory.

omg! Celebrity gossip, news photos, babies, couples, hotties, and more - omg! from Yahoo (http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/did-miley-cyrus-happen-road-twerk-201904035.html)

Now, going back to Miley Cyrus, the article above discusses how she saved her career from irrelevancy. After The Lizzie McGuire Show ended in 2004, for a time, she continued to make music, but in 2008, her most recent album, Dignity, sold only a fraction of what Metamorphosis sold, and her Best of Hilary Duff compilation flopped. Though she did have a Maxim magazine photo shoot and a racy movie role, she never really made the proper transition from Disney Girl to sexy woman, and ended up fading away. After Lizzie McGuire ended, Disney wanted more success, so they created Hannah Montana, and casted Miley Cyrus in the role of Miley Stewart, who is an ordinary girl by day, but by night, she becomes Hannah Montana, a pop star, and lives a double life while trying to hide her "secret identity," which is something that is typically associated with comic book superheroes (Disney acquired Marvel Comics in 2009, roughly around the same time as the release of Hannah Montana: The Movie). The Hannah Montana character is basically an affectionate overall parody of Hilary Duff, mixed with elements of classic Avril Lavigne and Britney Spears. She officially reveals her true identity to the world in the fourth and final season, ironically titled Hannah Montana Forever, and in the series finale, entitled "Wherever I Go," she decides to attend college with her best friend, Lilly Truscott, who is played by Emily Osment, who is the younger sister of Haley Joel Osment, whose best known movie is The Sixth Sense, in which he says "I see dead people." (We also know him as the voice of Sora in the Disney/Square Enix Kingdom Hearts video game series.) I was thinking that they might do a "10th anniversary special" in 2016, as Hannah Montana premiered in 2006, but with Miley Cyrus out of the question, I'm not sure if they will. The pilot episode of Hannah Montana, entitled "Lilly, Do You Want to Know a Secret?," premiered on March 24, 2006, with over 5 million viewers watching that pilot episode alone; the audience eventually doubled to over 10 million viewers during the series' prime.

Miley Cyrus vs. Hannah Montana: The stock charts (http://www.cnbc.com/id/100994846)

The article above compares the popularities of "Miley Cyrus" and "Hannah Montana" as if they were two separate beings, in stock charts. The first stock image shows the popularity of "Hannah Montana," which rose quickly beginning in 2007, peaking in 2009 (the year that Hannah Montana: The Movie was released), and then going downhill from there. The second stock charts shows the popularity of "Miley Cyrus," which was more volatile, having multiple peaks, which came whenever she created controversy, including her Vanity Fair naked photoshoot when she was just 15 in 2008, her pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards, and the release of her last album with Hollywood Records, Can't be Tamed, in 2010 (which did not sell as well as her previous albums), the subsequent 2011 tour for that album, and, of course, her performance at the 2013 MTV VMAs. When combining the two stock charts together, it shows that in the battle of "Miley Cyrus vs Hannah Montana," the former, twerks and all, is the winner, and the latter is the loser. How sad, because whether the fame was good or bad, it didn't matter, and both good and bad fame helped Miley Cyrus overtake Hannah Montana's fame.

Now, Jiro, I noticed that you pointed this out:

How would you feel about a thirty year old Miley Cyrus trying to sing for the 13 year old age bracket? It would be weird, wouldn't it? She's ageing and growing and changing and her music and behaviour follows suit. Sure, some of it might be in bad taste, but what does it matter?

Sure, it would feel a little weird, but still, just because you're not a little girl anymore doesn't mean that you should go to such extreme lengths to prove it. In effect, she's become the polar opposite of what she used to be. However, and most unfortunately, as feminist icon Gloria Steinem stated, child stars pretty much have to do that in order to stay relevant, or else they will fade away.

Shauna
10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Did Miley Cyrus' VMAs performance hurt the Disney brand? | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/27/miley-cyrus-vmas-performance-hurt-disney-brand/)

No.

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Hilary Duff might be squeeky clean, but she also has no career. And outside of Lizzie McGuire, she sucks. Her music, the 2 or 3 movies she did after the show ended (especially that one she did w her sister - Material Girls) were terrible.

Selena is squeeky, but she has good music, and a clothing line. She's successful. Same with Demi.

I think we all know their life stories, though.

As far as the dancers, they knew what they were getting into when they signed on. They could've quit . That's their fault and they have no reason to crying about how degrading it was. They should be thankful to get the chance to dance on stage like that.

Jinx
10-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I don't know if I would say they should be grateful, but I'm sure there are other dancers who would've been. Again: if it goes against your morals and is something you don't agree with, yet you do it anyways to further your career, you're certainly in no position to feel sorry for yourself. You did what you did to get ahead.

SuperMillionaire--the thing you don't seem to be acknowledging is that it doesn't matter if Miley Cyrus' current actions 'smear' the Disney or Hannah Montana brand. She's no longer affiliated with or in contract with Disney, therefore any sort of behaviors she exhibits has nothing to do with Disney's image. If it does reflect negatively on them, it's stupid to blame her, as she's no longer an employee. If she was still contracted with them, then I could see why people we be upset on her behavior impacting children or the brand negatively.

And again: if you don't think she's a good role model, then you as the parent on responsible for the media your child consumes.

Shorty
10-24-2013, 05:08 PM
What's your point in naming off the downward spirals of these women in a manner that seems like you're sexistly shaming them? This behavior isn't exclusive to washed-up female Disney actresses. What about all of the men who get involved in this sort of crap? And what about every other pop star and actor and athlete that gets involved in trout that goes against their careers?

The lives of celebrities are different from the normal populous in a single way: they are publicly broadcast. I am sure that members of your family, people you work with, friends and your neighbors have stories that would match and overreach stories of all of these women you listed off, and I don't see what's so spectacular about focusing on their negative experiences like this. I wouldn't exactly liven up issues like cutting and being diagnosed with bipolar disorder in line with Miley's VMA performance. And so what if someone did a "racy role" or a nude photoshoot? Are they chained to Disney forever because that's how they started out?

I find all of this sexist and offensive.

Jinx
10-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Building on what Shorty's said, I think it's pretty normal for most child celebrities. Not only is your entire life public, but the phases of your life that are the most awkward and difficult (puberty and adolescence) are usually broadcast for everyone to see. They go through a certain way of life most people will never fully get to understand.

And in the end, they're still people. They're human. And they're autonomous beings that can make their own decisions. In the end whatever Miley Cyrus or any of these people do really only hurts their career. It doesn't affect anyone but them. Maybe in the short term (like an unreliable actor might hold up production time with a film because of his addictions), but in the long run people won't work with them anymore.

TrollHunter
10-24-2013, 06:57 PM
SuperMillionare... you never cease to amaze me.
You managed to get a thread like this NINETY ONE POSTS (92 including mine).
Congratulations. I'm impressed. You have reached a level of troll not even I would want to take on.
Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working.

http://img.pandawhale.com/40268-Joker-clapping-applause-gif-IUrX.gif

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Rofl TrollHunter.

Millionaire is out to shock everyone to keep his forum career alive.

Are you secretly Miley Cyrus!?

NorthernChaosGod
10-25-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Molly means, bro.

I emphasize the point of who cares about what she does. Pretty sure artists and celebrities are exceedingly crazy.

kotora
10-25-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't know what's worse, SuperMillionaire's insane rambling or this 'cultural appropriation' nonsense in regards to a butt-shaking dance. Time to get off the computer and get some fresh air people.

noxious.sunshine
10-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Oh.. I know Fresh Air is something you miss, 'Tora, but don't drag the rest of us down, please.

Jinx
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't know what's worse, SuperMillionaire's insane rambling or this 'cultural appropriation' nonsense in regards to a butt-shaking dance. Time to get off the computer and get some fresh air people.

I agree with you, but nobody is really talking about cultural appropriation now.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2013, 01:29 PM
With Fresh Air capitalised like that, it makes me think of Will Smith.

SuperMillionaire
11-26-2013, 05:51 PM
This past Saturday marked Cyrus' 21st birthday, so I figured I'd update this thread. She performed "Wrecking Ball" with a giant lip-synching cat on the background screen (though she herself didn't lip synch) at the American Music Awards this past Sunday, and her father got her a Can-Am Spyder ATV, which cost $24,000. (It's definitely a splurge, though it could have been a whole lot worse if he instead bought a Lamborghini, which costs $100,000+ or more.) Now that she's legal, I can see her getting drunk and then crashing her ATV, at the rate she's going.

I don't know if I would say they should be grateful, but I'm sure there are other dancers who would've been. Again: if it goes against your morals and is something you don't agree with, yet you do it anyways to further your career, you're certainly in no position to feel sorry for yourself. You did what you did to get ahead.

SuperMillionaire--the thing you don't seem to be acknowledging is that it doesn't matter if Miley Cyrus' current actions 'smear' the Disney or Hannah Montana brand. She's no longer affiliated with or in contract with Disney, therefore any sort of behaviors she exhibits has nothing to do with Disney's image. If it does reflect negatively on them, it's stupid to blame her, as she's no longer an employee. If she was still contracted with them, then I could see why people we be upset on her behavior impacting children or the brand negatively.

And again: if you don't think she's a good role model, then you as the parent on responsible for the media your child consumes.

It may not ruin the Disney brand as a whole, but her antics have definitely ruined the Hannah Montana franchise brand, because she was the main character. Think about it: all of the Hannah Montana merchandise still out there now has the face of a fallen Disney princess on it. All the parents who bought their children any Hannah Montana merchandise now have their childhoods ruined by the actress-singer who portrayed the character; I've seen comments by people who watched the show on the Disney Channel stating that their childhoods were ruined. Some parents out there have also stated that they will never again buy any Miley Cyrus-related music and merchandise, including her Hannah Montana-related music and merchandise. She may not be affiliated with Disney anymore (Hollywood Records is owned by Disney, and she left them for RCA Records, whereas Billy Ray stayed with them), but her antics have definitely ruined the Hannah Montana brand.

Hannah Montana Franchise Kills Off All Miley Cyrus Connections (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/hannah-montana-miley-cyrus_n_4079247.html)

However, it should be noted that according to the Oh No, They Didn't! website, linking from the Huffington Post article above, the Hannah Montana franchise, to some degree, has severed ties with Miley Cyrus, because iTunes now lists all of the Hannah Montana music as attributed to "Hannah Montana," aka "Miley Stewart," a fictional character, instead of Miley Cyrus; when searching for Miley Cyrus, it will only show her albums Breakout, Can't Be Tamed, and Bangerz, and her EP The Time of Our Lives. Furthermore, Hannah Montana: The Movie now stars "Hannah Montana" in the credits (though I think they should have replaced it with "Miley Stewart"). On IMDB, however, Cyrus is still listed as credited for all of her Hannah Montana appearances.

EXCLUSIVE: Miley Cyrus? Mom Tish Cyrus On VMA Performance: ?I?m So Proud Of Her?I?m In Awe Of Who She Has Become As A Performer? - Miley Cyrus - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/Miley+Cyrus/articles/12u0YwQ--Wp/EXCLUSIVE+Miley+Cyrus+Mom+Tish+Cyrus+VMA+Performance)

What really disturbs me, though (and others, too, as I've talked with some friends at my school about this, and I've seen other articles and message boards where others also share my opinions), is that her mother, Tish Cyrus, who is also her manager, actually supports and applauds her daughter's antics; she was proud of Miley's VMAs performance, and Miley stated that "[her] mom is [her] 'homie.'" Really?! As for Billy Ray and the rest of the Cyrus family, well, they may not be quite as adamant about being proud of Miley as Tish is, but they still support her, with Billy Ray stating that "[she] will always be [his] little girl," and seemed to tolerate her "Wrecking Ball" music video, in which she went nude. Both parents are at fault, but between the two of them, I think her mother is more at fault for managing her daughter to be the train wreck that she is now.

The Miley Cyrus Conundrum: Condemned If You're "Sexy", Ignored If You're Not - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/11/25/the-miley-cyrus-conundrum-condemned-if-youre-sexy-ignored-if-youre-not/?partner=yahootix)

Unfortunately, as noted in the article above, today's pornographic pop culture and society has created a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" conundrum, in which you're criticized by many (including myself) if you strip down to your underwear (or worse, go completely nude), but if you don't, you end up fading away. Our society today tends to denote the beginning of adulthood when young stars start stripping down; girls become women by stripping. As stated in one of my earlier posts, Hilary Duff was never able to properly transition from Disney Girl to sexy woman, even though she did have a few racy roles, and as a result, she ended up fading away.

Here are some interesting videos I've found on YouTube:

Bad Hannah Montana :D LoL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlbFfhoxT_A)

In this video, taken from the Hannah Montana episode "Yet Another Side of Me," from Season 2, Miley Stewart, who is initially insecure about her current image, decides to change her image and experiment, with a "techno Hannah" (electronic dance music), "Half-Dolla Hannah" (hip hop, which Miley Cyrus has gone to now), and "Anti-Hannah" (heavy metal/goth/emo/hardcore punk), and after deciding on "Anti-Hannah," she has a nightmare in which Hannah Montana, after being awarded for being the role model of the year, comes out as a bad girl and sings this new untitled song:

Well I used to be a nice girl
Always doing what I'm told
Well, I'm here to tell ya baby
That it's gettin' kinda old!

Say goodbye to all the sparkles
And the pretty girly lace
I'm gonna tear your little heart out
And then I'll spit it in your face!

I don't like nobody
Parents, teachers, or the schools
Gonna ditch what I want to
Gonna break all the rules!
Gonna break all the rules now
I'm gonna break all the rules
Gonna stick it to those fools!

During her performance, she does various antics that cause the children to go wild, causing all chaos to break loose. She tries to get them to stop, telling them that "it's just a song," but to no avail; the children start throwing things, breaking glasses, and tying their parents up.

Hannah: PUT YOUR PARENTS DOWN!!!!!

She tries to get the children to stop by singing "True Friend," her old hit song, which played at the introduction to her performance, but it doesn't work.

Hannah: Remember the old Hannah? [sings] "You're a true friend, oh yeah," now, sing with me! [one of the children throws a donut at her, which lands right over her mouth]

She continues, in vain, to get the children to stop misbehaving, because "someone is gonna get hurt," but one of the children swings from the chandelier and picks Hannah up by her hands and swings her around, while her father, Robbie Ray Stewart (Billy Ray Cyrus) is tied up by the children, watches her.

Robbie: I'm a little tied up right now! Great song, though, great song.

After pleading with the chandelier-swinging child to put her down, the child does so by dropping her down to the floor, and with that, Miley Stewart wakes up from her nightmare, which the video cuts off at, after which her father comes in with a raccoon flashlight/night stand, and they have a talk.

Hannah Montana - She Can't Stop [ORIGINAL] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2X8NDqbSWU)

This video replaces the performance in the episode with footage from the music video for "We Can't Stop," and after Miley wakes up from her nightmare, she and her father have the following conversation:

Robbie: Well, I'll tell you the truth, honey, if you wanna talk about it; if you're still mad at me, Buster's a heck of a listener.
Miley: You're right. I don't wanna be a hard-edged Hannah. That's not the kind of message I want to send to my fans.
Robbie: What about keeping your audience interested?
Miley: There's gotta be a way to keep them interested and still be me. I'm sure Isis can change who she is all the time, but I like who I am, and I'm not gonna change just to hold onto an audience that hasn't even left me yet.
Robbie: Well, as long as you're true to yourself, your fans will always be there.
Miley: I hope you're right.

The moral of the story is that when a celebrity does bad things, it drags us all down as a society. Not only does it give all celebrities a bad name, but some of the people who look up to a certain celebrity will want to emulate their bad behavior after being sent a message stating that this kind of behavior is good, though others will disagree and become haters, as I and several others did. Miley should have learned from this episode, but she didn't, and as a result, she's become the current scantily-clad, rapping, twerking train wreck that she is now.

Let me also state that I still think it's possible to bring Hannah Montana back from the dead for a 10th anniversary special in 2016 (it premiered in 2006). The concept would involve a combination of photo-realistic computer-generated imagery, a voice actress that can imitate Miley Cyrus, and if they plan to do a show akin to Legends in Concert, which features impersonators of various performers of the past and present, it could also include a number of Hannah Montana impersonators and impressionists. The story would probably deal with how Miley Stewart rejects Miley Cyrus' wild ways.

Shorty
11-26-2013, 06:00 PM
I really, very strongly disagree with your mentality which appears to be that because Miley played Hannah Montana that she should honor that image, and by extension, Disney, for the rest of her life.

Those saying that it's ruined her image and her brand and their childhood are allowing it to do so and the fault doesn't lie with Miley. Her old performances are still the same, the Hannah Montana character is the same.

This issue with people unable to separate Miley from Hannah Montana or the "Disney princesss" that she was is just foul to me and it's no wonder she's behaving the way she is now. Who knows how many years she was pressured to picture-perfect because she essentially belonged to Disney. Just let her do what the hell she wants and judge her as a person instead of judging her as Hannah smurfing Montana. How she is now is a direct result of her Disney career, and if they're looking to point fingers, they only have themselves to blame.

Your commenting on her parents failing to guide there daughter is a bit off-putting as well. I can't say how happy or unhappy I'd be with my daughter acting the way she is, but it's kindof refreshing to see parents in such strong support of their child being who she wants to be, regardless of the media or world's view of them.

Why do the actions of someone else that affect in you no way have to drag you down? I don't understand that thought process at all. If it bothers you, cut it out of your life. No need to suffer because someone else - someone you have no personal relationship whatsoever - is behaving in a way that doesn't align with your standards.

Jinx
11-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I basically came here to say what Shorty said. It doesn't ruin the Hannah Montana image at all. Her performance then and the show then has nothing to do with who she is now. Also, most of the time when people say that their childhoods are ruined, they're being facetious.

Also, celebrities doing bad things doesn't have anything to do with society. Maybe you follow these people as a religion, but most people really couldn't give more a fuck. Like, WHO CARES? It's not your life. If you're looking up to or trying to emulate a celebrity, then you're not that original of a person. And if they do bad things and you still look up to them, whose fault is that but yours? They're just people who happen to be well known for the media the produce. If Miley was a normal girl on the streets, I seriously doubt you'd even think twice, if only because you wouldn't know what she did in her private life.

Spuuky
11-26-2013, 06:24 PM
"Anti-Hannah" (heavy metal/goth/emo/hardcore punk)...which one of these things? Some of those words have nothing in common with others of those words.

I, of course, can never be nice because it would be damaging to my previous image. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's EoFF childhood by seeing that I'd become a pleasant person.

By the way, being naked isn't misbehaving and it isn't "bad behavior." Something that actually drags society down is people who attribute evil to behaviors that aren't evil.

NorthernChaosGod
11-27-2013, 12:11 AM
If you're old enough to claim something ruined your childhood, you're old enough to shut the fuck up and get over it. Don't whine just to whine.

Secondly celebrities shouldn't be role models anyway, and stop watching their every move.

Bunny
11-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Secondly celebrities shouldn't be role models anyway

This is stupid. Of course celebrities should be role models. Everyone should be capable of being a role model to someone else, fame or lack thereof does not dismiss your ability to be a role model. The slovenly worship of celebrities should cease though and everyone should remember that Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, and every other Disney teen booper are human and are completely capable of fucking up, and they should be allowed to.

Find something more important to do with your life if Miley Cyrus shaking her ass and sticking out her tongue is akin to death to you.

Mirage
11-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Maybe some people have problems separating fantasy from reality.

NorthernChaosGod
11-27-2013, 12:27 AM

This is stupid. Of course celebrities should be role models. Everyone should be capable of being a role model to someone else, fame or lack thereof does not dismiss your ability to be a role model. The slovenly worship of celebrities should cease though and everyone should remember that Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, and every other Disney teen booper are human and are completely capable of fucking up, and they should be allowed to.

Find something more important to do with your life if Miley Cyrus shaking her ass and sticking out her tongue is akin to death to you.
I suppose so, but I hate when people use "think of the children" when denouncing the behavior of other people (mostly celebrities). They should raise their own stupid children.

noxious.sunshine
11-27-2013, 06:08 AM
What the hell?...

This almost should be in EoEo.

Are you Miley? No. Do you walk in Miley's shoes or hang out with her on a daily basis? Of course not.

Calm down about it. She grew up. Kids tend to do that. And she's still growing. And figuring things out. I was doing way worse stuff at that age than what she does now.

Night Fury
11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Omg she's like 21.

Let her go crazy. I've seen girls do ridiculous shit at university and they've grown out of it. The only difference is that Miley is a star and people won't leave her alone.

Quindiana Jones
11-27-2013, 07:15 AM
I heard she wore red socks yesterday, but I wanted to wear red socks yesterday but I couldn't because that stupid whore had to go and wear her stupid whore socks.

Fucking Miley Cyrus.

TrollHunter
11-27-2013, 09:44 AM
This thread hurts my brain. Why is this still a thing?

Bolivar
11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I hate when people use "think of the children" when denouncing the behavior of other people (mostly celebrities). They should raise their own stupid children.

I'm not sure what your childhood was like, but the last thing a teen wants to do during their impressionable years is spend time with their parents. Kids act, talk and dress based on what they see on tv, always have, no matter how hard you insist that they don't. It's anyone's prerogative to act like this in their life, but whenever you put something out there for your own financial gain, a modicum of responsibility should go with it.

Troll or not, SM clearly put a lot of time into these posts and I salute the ideal of staying true to yourself regardless of what will make you popular, and continuing to do so in the face of everyone saying what an unreasonable slut-shamer you are.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-27-2013, 02:49 PM

This is stupid. Of course celebrities should be role models. Everyone should be capable of being a role model to someone else, fame or lack thereof does not dismiss your ability to be a role model. The slovenly worship of celebrities should cease though and everyone should remember that Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, and every other Disney teen booper are human and are completely capable of smurfing up, and they should be allowed to.

I'd rephrase that as any celebrity can be a role model, but as you said they are human and should be allowed to smurf up. Even if we don't allow them, some of them will anyway. They're human.

People will idolize who ever it is they seem to identify with or resonate with on some level. So if you need a role model (which isn't necessarily something anyone should need), instead of worrying about which star stopped being what you want them to be, move on to the next star you identify with. Picking a celebrity, and hinging a large portion of your values and happiness on how they behave seems like a disappointment waiting to happen.

I think a major issue with people's outrage and inability to move on is that they feel personally invested or that they are owed something from a celebrity because of how emotionally attached they are to that celeb. They feel entitled to getting certain behavior from people they've never met, and who don't know them. It's an odd situation.

Quindiana Jones
11-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Ah, bugger! I just stubbed my toe!

God damnit, Miley! :mad2:

Jinx
11-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Miley is the new Obama

noxious.sunshine
11-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Wait..... So Miley is Muslim?

I'm pretty sure she'd have been stoned to death already.

NorthernChaosGod
11-27-2013, 07:10 PM
I hate when people use "think of the children" when denouncing the behavior of other people (mostly celebrities). They should raise their own stupid children.

I'm not sure what your childhood was like, but the last thing a teen wants to do during their impressionable years is spend time with their parents. Kids act, talk and dress based on what they see on tv, always have, no matter how hard you insist that they don't. It's anyone's prerogative to act like this in their life, but whenever you put something out there for your own financial gain, a modicum of responsibility should go with it.

n82h52MkxUU

Pheesh
11-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Every time anyone thinks about or posts in this thread Miley Cyrus wins another small victory.

...fuck.

Quindiana Jones
11-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Wait..... So Miley is Muslim?

I'm pretty sure she'd have been stoned to death already.

I heard there was quite the problem with people getting stoned in the US, but I wasn't aware it was a religious issue.

escobert
11-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Every time anyone thinks about or posts in this thread Miley Cyrus wins another small victory.

...fuck.

exactly. I can't believe people are still talking about this.

noxious.sunshine
11-29-2013, 03:00 PM
SZcYpl-jSJg

Denmark
11-29-2013, 04:41 PM
but selena gomez should be a wizard of waverly place forever

oh right literally zero people remember that show

noxious.sunshine
11-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Selena is extra squeaky clean though...

Even though she dated the Biebs for 3 yrs.

escobert
11-29-2013, 07:09 PM
and makes songs about the TSA groping her? :p

NorthernChaosGod
11-29-2013, 08:40 PM
but selena gomez should be a wizard of waverly place forever

oh right literally zero people remember that show
I remember that show.

Agent Proto
12-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Miley Cyrus Treats Couple To A Free Meal After Being 'Too Noisy' In New York Restaurant? (http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/134341/Miley-Cyrus-Treats-Couple-To-A-Free-Meal-After-Being-Too-Noisy-In-New-York-Restaurant)

SuperMillionaire
12-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Throughout this thread, I've neglected to mention Robin Thicke, but now I will say that I hate his "Blurred Lines" song too. It's not just him, though; it's pretty much every man in the music industry acting as sex-crazed, perverted men who love to degrade women. Then again, many women tend to degrade themselves as well. Look at Justin Timberlake, for instance, and his "Sexy Back" song; that's another very perverted song. There are many more examples out there, too many to name, so I'll stop there. And another thing: pretty much all music videos out there are somewhat pornographic, to varying degrees.

Joe Jonas: I first tried marijuana with Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joe-jonas-marijuana-miley-cyrus-demi-lovato-article-1.1534900)

In a recent interview with NY Magazine, Joe Jonas discussed his days with Disney as a Jonas Brother in a controversial essay. He revealed that Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus convinced him to try drugs and alcohol, both putting peer pressure on him, when he was just 17-18, that he lost his virginity at 20, and that on his 21st birthday, he fell down a flight of stairs because he was so drunk. He also stated that when the Vanessa Hudgens nude scandal broke out, Disney kept her on lockdown for a whole day.

Demi Lovato backs Joe Jonas amid controversial New York magazine essay: 'Love you brother' - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/demi-lovato-tweets-support-joe-jonas-article-1.1537172)

Demi Lovato responded with support, but her sister criticized him for it, and another Disney alum, Dylan Sprouse, who starred in The Suite Life of Zack and Cody with his brother Cole, was also a bit more harsh in his criticism, calling him "foolish" and a "bad artist."

Demi Lovato reveals her ?deep and dark? struggles with substance abuse, eating disorder - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/demi-lovato-reveals-deep-dark-article-1.1518446)

Demi Lovato also revealed her dark struggles during her relationship with Joe Jonas, and during their 2010 tour, she punched a backup dancer, and also had struggles with drugs, and even smuggled drugs with her on the plane whenever she took a flight, hiding in the bathroom to do it. She also noted that many stars today, including Miley Cyrus, do not care about the impressions that their wild antics leave on their young fans, and she, Lovato, also used to have that view as her excuse to do whatever she wanted, but after hitting rock bottom in 2010, she realized that this was not the kind of life that she wanted, as well as that because she is in the public eye, she did not want other going down the path she was going at that time, so she turned her life around and changed her ways. (Like I said earlier, whenever a celebrity does bad things, it drags us all down as a society, even if they do not have a personal connection to us.) She is in the process of writing a tell-all memoir of her struggles.

Apparently, whenever Joe, Demi, and Miley did drugs, they never seemed to do it in the presence of Kevin and Nick Jonas or Selena Gomez, the latter of whom visited Demi in rehab only after she learned about it.

In addition to the two Camp Rock movies, Demi Lovato also starred as Sonny Monroe, the lead character in the Disney Channel Original Series Sonny with a Chance, for two seasons. After she departed to go to rehab, the show managed to continue in the form of So Random!, the former show-within-a-show that was featured within Sonny with a Chance, which lasted for only one season.

Selena Gomez seemed to be with Disney the longest; she starred as Alex Russo, the lead character, in Wizards of Waverly Place, from 2008-2012; she was 16 when the show began, and 20 when the show ended, and in 2013, she and Disney released a special TV movie named The Wizards Return: Alex vs Alex, in which she has to stop her "dark half" from carrying out a villainous scheme. During the period from 2010 to 2012, she also dated Justin Bieber, who also interacted with Miley Cyrus (he did not meet Demi Lovato because she was in rehab at that time), though she officially dumped him in late 2012-early 2013.

Let me make one thing clear right now: I never said that Miley should be Hannah Montana forever (heh, that's quite a pun right there), but still, she should be more conscious of what her fans think of her.

However, I also think it is possible to bring Hannah Montana back for a 10th anniversary special in 2016, without the involvement of Miley Cyrus or her father. It would involve the use of photo-realistic computer-generated imagery and the casting of a voice actress that can imitate Miley Cyrus. What do you think of this idea?

Mirage
12-13-2013, 01:28 AM
It would involve the use of photo-realistic computer-generated imagery and the casting of a voice actress that can imitate Miley Cyrus. What do you think of this idea?

I think you should let it go.

Spooniest
12-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Don't tell her dad...her achy breaky dad.
I just don't think he'd understand.

NorthernChaosGod
12-13-2013, 03:05 AM
(Like I said earlier, whenever a celebrity does bad things, it drags us all down as a society, even if they do not have a personal connection to us.)

No it doesn't.

SuperMillionaire
12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Why wouldn't a 10th anniversary special be a good thing? I think it that would presumably be titled Hannah Montana Returns: The Movie, and it would involve Miley Stewart rediscovering her Hannah Montana alter ego and reviving it, while also addressing the issue of Miley Cyrus' new wild image, and rejecting it, telling children not to go down the path that Cyrus is heading now. It would also feature darker sociological themes, including the corruption of the music industry and business, as well as how it connects to Main Street, especially since so many recording artists today tend to flash their "bling-bling" and other extravagant materialistic possessions; this trend, formally referred to as conspicuous consumption (a term coined by sociologist Thorstein Veblen, which I recently learned about in a sociological theory class), is what Lorde dissed in her "Royals" song, which I also made a thread about. Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana should also try to set the proper example of a role model that Miley Cyrus did not. Of course, then again, the real problem is the culture and the system that basically forces artists to generate controversy in order to sell their records, and this issue should also be addressed in the 10th anniversary special. While they're at it, since Miley Cyrus herself is no longer Hannah Montana, the new voice actress should record new music, and perhaps they can have a number of impressionists perform a series of concerts at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, akin to the Legends in Concert performances, which feature impressionist imitating various legendary performers of the past and present. These Legends in Concert shows can be seen in Las Vegas, Nevada and Atlantic City, New Jersey, among other places.

Legends In Concert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_In_Concert)

Also, I think you should watch this documentary:

https://archive.org/details/Dreamworlds3

This documentary, which I recently watched in a gender studies class, is entitled Dreamworlds 3: Desire, Sex, and Power in Music Videos, narrated by sociologist and gender studies scholar Sut Jhally, and explores the pornographic nature of music videos. Music videos began in the 1970s, and went mainstream in the 1980s, which became increasingly provocative over time, with some music videos even getting banned. This documentary reveals and exposes the true pornographic nature of music videos, which contain sex, drugs, alcohol, violence, and greed (especially conspicuous consumption) and depicts these thing in a manner that glorifies them. Many of these videos tend to objectify women in a crude and degrading manner, including raunchy dance moves and extremely skimpy outfits, and both male and female artists tend to do this, featuring several scantily-clad women as backup dancers, both in their music videos and in their live performances. It also depicts men as predators who chase women as their prey, as well as men who abuse women, promoting violence against women in a glorifying manner.

Back in the day, using shock value in music was the exception instead of the norm, but now, it has become the new norm, and I've began to realize that much of society has been desensitized to the raunchy content in these music videos, including many of you on this forum.

Denmark
12-18-2013, 05:05 PM
A 10th anniversary special wouldn't be worth it because the children who grew up with Hannah Montana would be 10 years older and not interested in a reunion show of any kind, and the kids of 2016 won't care since they won't know who Hannah Montana is. There is zero reason for Disney to fund something like that.

noxious.sunshine
12-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Mmmmkay. You're off your rocker. Officially. I'm calling it.

Have you -not- heard any songs by Lil Wayne, Tupac, Biggie, Timbaland, Britney Spears, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Drake, or GINUWINE!? Or perhaps the Thong Song or Ignition & Feelin' On Yo Booty by R. Kelly ? I can spout off plenty other artists who sing suggestive lyrics. It's part of Life. Deal.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with "Blurred Lines" or "Sexy Back".. Not when you compare "Pony" or "Lollipop" to them.

The solution to the problem is simple: if you don't like it, don't listen or watch. Miley's everywhere you say? No one's telling you to leave the radio on that station or the t.v. on that channel. It's just as easy to change it or not watch at all.

You may hate Miley and all these other artists, but you're giving them exactly what they want. They've contrived these shock value images & songs for this exact reason... And you're allowing yourself to play into it.

And I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that these artists aren't total brainwashed idiots. They have a pretty big say in their image/look and what they do and don't want in their lyrics. If they don't like something, they don't -have- to do it. P!NK broke out of the mold L.A. Reid tried to fit her into. It worked and L.A. Reid apologized. Every special I've seen on different pop stars: Miley, Britney, Katy, Ke$ha- everything they do show & song wise, they've done on purpose. At no point do they say "My managers forced me to do this.".

Seriously, it's time to hang it up and let it go.

SuperMillionaire
01-10-2014, 08:09 PM
I have in fact heard a number of songs by some of the artists you've mentioned, and I think it's going too far now. Since the 1960s, lyrics got increasingly suggestive over time, but once we entered the new millennium, it really took off, and look where we are now. And it's both male AND female artists who do this. I'm okay with some suggestive lyrics (some are more suggestive than others), but now I think it's going too far.

And another thing: why do these big-name record companies even allow these kinds of lyrics, in addition to their odd and bad behavior, in the first place?!

Shorty
01-10-2014, 08:19 PM
The record companies don't control the artists or their behaviors. As for why they "allow" the material - I would guess because they think it will be profitable for them.

As for the progression of suggestive material over the years - society in general has grown progressively more apathetic and toward censorship. It's not just that the media has become more racy; overall we're a lot more tolerant. I don't think that's a bad thing. If someone wants to make a racy and suggestive song, let them. They'll face whatever societal consequences needed depending on the content.

Why are you so interested in banning suggestive content?

krissy
01-11-2014, 04:00 AM
in terms of behavior of famous people, while i understand that everyone has free will or whatever, you have to consider that these kids are raised in environments that encourage this sort of behavior, and are bombarded with media's ideas about body image/self-respect/behavior image so close to where they sleep (and without the safety of a glass screen to protect them from said ideas) that 'degrading yourself' is expected and 'the plan'

im pretty sure britney or miley never had self-respect classes as 16 year olds
or classes on women's issues, or black history
media ethics
it'd be hard to fit that in between the bare-minimum math and english alongside all the dance prep they needed before their next live show

and since you want to impress your record label daddies you just spiral

i think you're not wrong in saying that there are bigger societal problems on display here, but im not sure that trying to trim the leaves will help. we really need to figure out why the roots are causing the branches to be as frail as they are.

blackmage_nuke
01-16-2014, 07:30 AM
I was skeptical of Miley Cyrus but I love Wrecking Ball.

Back in the day, using shock value in music was the exception instead of the norm, but now, it has become the new norm, and I've began to realize that much of society has been desensitized to the raunchy content in these music videos, including many of you on this forum.

If anything this is a good thing. Now an artist actually has to come up with something unique and creative to wow an audience instead of putting a pair of breasts on it. You trivialise the shock all your left with is the art and the message instead of your audience being obsessed with the whether or not the shock is appropriate

SuperMillionaire
01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
The record companies don't control the artists or their behaviors. As for why they "allow" the material - I would guess because they think it will be profitable for them.

As for the progression of suggestive material over the years - society in general has grown progressively more apathetic and toward censorship. It's not just that the media has become more racy; overall we're a lot more tolerant. I don't think that's a bad thing. If someone wants to make a racy and suggestive song, let them. They'll face whatever societal consequences needed depending on the content.

Why are you so interested in banning suggestive content?

That's exactly what I meant when I said that we as a society have been desensitized to all of the raunchy content in our lyrics and music videos. And I'm okay with some of it, but I'm concerned that it might be going too far now. And why would the big name record companies even condone this stuff, anyway?

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
You say desensitized as though the sensitivity of the content is set in stone and not subjective to each viewer. I'd say there is nothing to be sensitive about. The human body is a natural thing, theres no reason it shouldnt be swinging from a wrecking ball. The only reason to say we are desensitized is to say we should for whatever reason be ashamed of our bodies and sex which is an out dated notion. If you got it flaunt it, and if you dont got it but want to flaunt it then no one should stop you.

Del Murder
01-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah the human body is a natural thing. You're born naked, you swing from gigantic iron balls naked, you die naked. All a natural part of life. Like, if Miley were to suddenly urinate on stage at her next concert, we should be celebrating that as it is a natural bodily function. There's nothing to be ashamed of here.

Shorty
01-24-2014, 04:58 PM
And why would the big name record companies even condone this stuff, anyway?

Because it rakes in cash and that's all they want.

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Yeah the human body is a natural thing. You're born naked, you swing from gigantic iron balls naked, you die naked. All a natural part of life. Like, if Miley were to suddenly urinate on stage at her next concert, we should be celebrating that as it is a natural bodily function. There's nothing to be ashamed of here.

As long as she does so hygenically and where no one might slip in it and it's a decision she came to make herself I wouldnt have a problem with it

Del Murder
01-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Headline: Miley Cyrus Pees on Stage!
bm_nuke: I am fine with this.

Sephex
01-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Headline: Miley Cyrus Pees on Stage!
bm_nuke: I am fine with this.

Tabloid headline:

URINE TROUBLE MILEY!

Shorty
01-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Fergie already did this onstage. Miley will have to outdo her by doing it naked, and that would just be weird.

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Also as long as there was a preshow warning about adult content so anyone who views it was warned. In the end it's her career choice to piss on stage and it's the audience's choice to watch it

Jinx
01-25-2014, 12:39 AM
This thread has taken a really bizarre turn.

noxious.sunshine
01-25-2014, 02:24 AM
FErgie did it on accident. She owned up and admitted to it.

ONce again, SuperMillionaire, my love... My darling..

Give it the eff up already.

Like I , and others after me have said- You're getting upset 'cuz you're allowing yourself to. And it's a pretty stupid thing to get screwed up over- I'm just saying.

Once again- you don't like these artists? Don't listen to them or watch them on t.v. Plain and friggin' simple. And have respect for those who -do- genuinely like their music.

I happen to like Miley's music. Along with Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Black Eyed Peas, and tons of other music that people consider to be "pretentious and fake and crappy", but I also listen to music in eleventy billion different other genres. IDGAF. I like what I like. Don't like it? Build a bridge and get over it.

Seriously. Miley isn't Obama or Suddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden. Neither is Justin Bieber. Find something more important about to get upset over, 'cuz this just ain't worth it.

krissy
01-25-2014, 03:13 AM

which would be fine
if it wasn't someone else ordering her to do it

Calliope
01-25-2014, 03:44 AM
Also, be careful! There's a lot of cables and electronic equipment on stage, wouldn't want to get a nasty shock

Jinx
01-25-2014, 03:46 AM
What if she took a dump onstage instead? Wouldn't have to worry about the electricity.

Del Murder
01-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Also, be careful! There's a lot of cables and electronic equipment on stage, wouldn't want to get a nasty shock
I believe that's called twerking.

Shiny
01-26-2014, 06:47 AM
What drags us down as a society is our strange and non important fascination with celebrities and their personal lives. It becomes troubling when media reports the ridiculous things that Bieber does instead of what's going on in other countries right now or political news within our own country that's far more important to know.

nik0tine
01-26-2014, 07:08 AM
What drags us down as a society is our strange and non important fascination with celebrities and their personal lives. It becomes troubling when media reports the ridiculous things that Bieber does instead of what's going on in other countries right now or political news within our own country that's far more important to know.
Justin Bieber arrested: Congresswoman interrupted during NSA interview for report on pop star - News - People - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/congresswoman-interrupted-during-nsa-interview-for-report-on-justin-bieber-9082109.html)

Sephex
01-26-2014, 07:29 AM
What if she took a dump onstage instead? Wouldn't have to worry about the electricity.

Tabloid Headline:

CRYRUS' LATEST DUMP MORE LITERAL THAN METAPHORICAL

SuperMillionaire
01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
I don't think anyone should see any performer peeing or pooping on stage, let alone in public; it's indecent and disrespectful to both oneself and others. I remember seeing somewhere on the internet that the heavy metal band Rage Against The Machine once stood onstage completely nude, with their penises showing. I really don't think they should have been allowed to do that.

I also think that decency and respect have fallen by the wayside in recent years within the music business. Many of these musical acts tend to rely on shock value and controversy in order to see their records, and I'm sick of it. I think it's rude, but many seem to think it's cool to curse in your lyrics and talk about sex, drugs, and alcohol. While music started shedding its innocence back in the 1960s, using blatant shock value in music began in the 1980s. Back in the old days, "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" was a common saying, but today, sex, drugs, and alcohol are permeated throughout all genres of music today, to varying degrees; in fact, sex and drugs do not seem to be as close with rock music as it was in the past, instead moving on other genres. I suppose now the new saying should be "sex, drugs, alcohol, and music in general." I still don't get why the music business even supports this trash; sure, it sells, but still. (I should also note that there is a distinct difference between "industry" and "business," which was originally noted by sociologist Thorstein Veblen; "industry" is about inventing new things that improves our quality of life, whereas "business" is solely about making money, and of course, money is the root of all evil. I learned this in a recent sociology class that I took last semester, named Development of Sociological Theory; as I also previously noted in one of my earlier posts in this thread, Thorstein Veblen also coined the term conspicuous consumption to refer to spending large amounts of money on lavish, extravagant possessions, and then flaunting those possessions, which many recording artists, as well as other celebrities and big-money businesspeople, tend to engage in today.)

Another thing I've noticed about today's music is that it's not about how good you can actually sing; rather, it's what you sing about (specifically, the lyrics you write) that determines your popularity. This is not to say that those who resort to this are untalented; they do have some singing ability (if they really couldn't sing at all, they wouldn't even have this career in the first place), but if it's not a total "wow" by itself, then they have to resort to over-the-top stunts in their performances, raunchy lyrics, and raunchy music videos. Unfortunately, even with good voices on their own, what's popular today is a combination of sex, drugs, alcohol, all-night partying, and extravagant possessions and lifestyles. These lyrics tend to act as "seducers" who lead their listeners astray into following those kinds of things and emulating that lifestyle. There's an actual motto for this, YOLO (You Only Live Once); it means living live to the fullest, even if it means taking risks (many of which are foolish and completely unnecessary, which is why I hate that "truth or dare" game because they will dare you to do outrageous things). Guess what: I have another motto for you: YODO (You Only Die Once), because you could very well die young from living that kind of lifestyle; Ke$ha even glorified it with a song appropriately titled "Die Young," which fully embraces the YOLO ideology. (The song was banned for a short time following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, because many of its victims were only 6-7 years old). The YOLO motto was coined by rapper Drake in his 2011 song "The Motto." Honestly, I'm sick and tired of it. (Of course, even before YOLO, there were "carpe diem" and "memento mori," which were Latin terms that basically meant the same thing.) I think the people who live this kind of lifestyle are fools; I do not wish for them to die young, but rather to realize that they are being fools and change their ways.

And while I do like some songs with mildly suggestive lyrics, I think some of them take it too far. Many songs in the 1980s and 1990s were somewhat sexual, but never overly erotic, which is why in this day and age, just being "sexy" isn't enough; you have to be sleazy and shocking; thus, I believe that it is not so much sex in itself that sells in this day and age so much as sleaze and shock. I try not to listen to it as often as I can avoid it, but there are times in which I am forced to listen to it, such as when I'm walking down the street and I hear people in their cars blasting their music so loud that everyone else outside the car can hear it, or when I'm in a public place that is playing this kind of music.

Yes, that would certainly be bizarre, so it would make sense for her and others to try to reach out to an older audience. However, I don't like the way they go about doing it; I'm not saying don't be sexy; I'm just saying don't be sleazy. The real problem, however, is the system that brings children into show business; it is broken and corrupt, exploiting them, which causes some of them to go bad as adults, whether on stage or off stage. This is why so many child stars go bad as adults, and that is why the system needs to change. (See more about this in my Justin Bieber thread.)

NeoCracker
02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
In defense of modern day music, we have far less songs about having sex with under age girls. :p

Old Manus
02-01-2014, 01:47 PM
SuperMillionnaire you are truly the greatest thing to happen to EoFF.

onstage completely nude, with their penises showing.WITH THEIR PENISES SHOWING!?!?!?!?

NeoCracker
02-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I prefer may male nudity without the penis's thank you. :colbert:

Fonzie
02-02-2014, 08:44 AM
SuperMillionnaire you are truly the greatest thing to happen to EoFF.

onstage completely nude, with their penises showing.WITH THEIR PENISES SHOWING!?!?!?!?

Yes. This is excellent.

SuperMillionaire
02-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Here's something interesting that I found today:

1990: Pop Music Will Just Be Musical Orgies By 2010 (http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/1990-pop-music-will-just-be-musical-orgies-by-2010-1511570307)

The Parental Advisory sticker was created back in 1985, and in 1990, a newspaper columnist named Lewis Grizzard, who wrote for the Times-News paper in North Carolina, predicted that popular music will just be musical orgies by 2010; it turns out that he was right. 20 years ago, many rap groups and heavy metal bands were seen as sleazy, raunchy, and shocking; today, raunch, sleaze, shock, and awe are the norm rather than the exception. Artists today continue to push boundaries of what is acceptable, desensitizing society to the content in the process. When you say that we are more tolerant of these stage antics in music, that is exactly what I mean when I say you have been desensitized to the content, and some of you even revel in it.

This is a portion of the column that Grizzard wrote in the Times-News, published on June 22, 1990, contained within the article above:

We've gone from Elvis to The 2 Live Crew in my lifetime. Twenty years from now The 2 Live Crew will, like Elvis, seem absolutely harmless.

God knows what they'll be doing 20 years from now. Singing on stage in the nude, probably. Madonna sings in her underwear now.

They'll be singing naked and probably having sex on stage, and the kids who liked 2 Live Crew will have their drawers in a serious bundle because their kids will be determined to hear and see "Stark Nakkid and the Car Thieves" singing their controversial hit, "I Want to Kiss You on Your Woo-Woo in the Nude."

The point is, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Elvis seems like an angel now and, a generation from now, 2 Live Crew probably won't be able to get a gig playing a Tupperware party. So, nobody have a cow over 2 Live Crew. This, too, will pass for something even more shocking.

It always does.

Look at where we are now: sex, drugs, alcohol, and expletives are now so common in our music today that it's easier to list the exceptions and aversions, rather than the ones who play it straight. Recording artists today also seem to act as seducers who try to influence their fans into doing wrong. Back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" was a common saying, but today, it's more like "sex, drugs, alcohol, and music," as in music in general. And just ordinary sex will not be enough; it has to be sleazy, even pornographic, in order to sell records today. Why does controversy work so well in music today? Whatever happened to common decency and respect? I think it's very disrespectful, both to themselves and to others, for us to see their raunchy antics. If we don't do anything now, in another 20 years, who knows just how much worse it will become? We've let it slide for long enough; it's time to do something about it.

Jinx
02-20-2014, 03:51 PM
If you really think that they weren't a ton of songs about sex, drugs, etc before the 70s, you're being willfully ignorant. Guess what? People have always loved sex, drugs, and alcohol.

The Man
02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Dirty blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_blues)

example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ko2VXpW7_g‎

in b4 racism

Del Murder
02-20-2014, 08:22 PM
What concerts are you going to where people have sex on stage, SuperMillionaire?

Shorty
02-20-2014, 08:35 PM
If you want something to be done, I would encourage you to write to the record labels and artists to tell them about how disappointed you are that as the leaders of society they have allowed us to wallow in this new age sexual liberation. Perhaps you will even get some letters back.

The Man
02-21-2014, 05:06 AM
Oh yeah, forgot Mozart.

C78HBp-Youk

translation of title: "Lick me in the arse", or more idiomatically, "Kiss my arse"

SuperMillionaire
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes, I've been aware that such perverted, profane literature and art have been around for centuries, and they're here to stay, whether we like it or not. I remember taking a history class in college and seeing a few pornographic artworks that date back centuries, so it's been around for a long time, way before the advent of the Playboy magazine and the Girls Gone Wild videos. I'm just concerned that it may be becoming too commonplace, and they need to curb it. I have no plans to outright ban any of this, because I know some of you like it (and I'll admit that I like a few of these artists' songs myself), but I still don't think it's appropriate for family viewing or listening. The only appropriate place for such music is a strip club, and not every single place everywhere is a strip club. There's a time and a place for everything.

With that said, I think they should still put stricter regulations on our music. Do you want our music in the future to be as profane as the film The Wolf of Wall Street? I'm mentioning the film because the dialogue contains some 506 f-bombs (though some of Martin Scorsese's other films also have hundreds of F-bombs). Do you want our music in the future to contain hundreds of F-bombs and other expletives? I don't know about you, but I really don't want things to get to that point.

Jinx
03-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Actually, that's exactly what I want to see.

Del Murder
03-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Hundreds seems excessive, sure, but a few here and there won't hurt anybody.

Shorty
03-06-2014, 07:00 PM
What I think I am grasping from your posts is that you think everyone - performers, filmmakers, the entire entertainment industry - should cater to the wants and needs of conservative families who don't want to feel like they've entered into a curse-heavy strip club when listening to music or watching music videos or films. That everyone should be able to enjoy a serious film or a catchy song's music video or listen to a song without profanity.

Have you considered the wealth of already-available options for people who would prefer to not see or listen to these kinds of things? That if you don't want to see a nude Miley Cyrus music video with racy and sexual dancing that you can watch Jack Johnson strumming his guitar on a nice Hawaiian beach instead? That instead of watching The Wolf of Wall Street with its hundreds of f-bombs, you might consider a family-friendly film like Saving Mr. Banks instead? Why is it that these entertainers and artmakers need to conform to the standards of those who criticize their work?

All consumers were not created equally. If you do not want sexual, racy, profane and vulgar media in your life, my advice to you is to steer clear of it and stop complaining about its existence, because it is here to stay and there is nothing that anyone - you, me, a group of upset people, thousands of people or even millions - can do to stop it. It is not going to go away or be curbed, ever.

Mirage
03-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Man brutally murdered by massive f-shrapnel bomb, up-and-coming rapper arrested

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2014, 02:17 AM
With that said, I think they should still put stricter regulations on our music. Do you want our music in the future to be as profane as the film The Wolf of Wall Street? I'm mentioning the film because the dialogue contains some 506 f-bombs (though some of Martin Scorsese's other films also have hundreds of F-bombs). Do you want our music in the future to contain hundreds of F-bombs and other expletives? I don't know about you, but I really don't want things to get to that point.

I wouldnt want it in every song (not that that is ever going to happen) but if a song does come out with a lot of swears I'll judge it by it's content and composition and not the number of swears it has.

Also in wolf of wall street fuck is said 2.83 times a minute which in a 3 minute song is only around eight and a half fucks which isnt that bad

Moogle Chrome
03-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Miley is currently traumatizing the youth of my hometown, Omaha. May God have mercy on this town!!!

SuperMillionaire
03-12-2014, 08:17 PM
What I think I am grasping from your posts is that you think everyone - performers, filmmakers, the entire entertainment industry - should cater to the wants and needs of conservative families who don't want to feel like they've entered into a curse-heavy strip club when listening to music or watching music videos or films. That everyone should be able to enjoy a serious film or a catchy song's music video or listen to a song without profanity.

Have you considered the wealth of already-available options for people who would prefer to not see or listen to these kinds of things? That if you don't want to see a nude Miley Cyrus music video with racy and sexual dancing that you can watch Jack Johnson strumming his guitar on a nice Hawaiian beach instead? That instead of watching The Wolf of Wall Street with its hundreds of f-bombs, you might consider a family-friendly film like Saving Mr. Banks instead? Why is it that these entertainers and artmakers need to conform to the standards of those who criticize their work?

All consumers were not created equally. If you do not want sexual, racy, profane and vulgar media in your life, my advice to you is to steer clear of it and stop complaining about its existence, because it is here to stay and there is nothing that anyone - you, me, a group of upset people, thousands of people or even millions - can do to stop it. It is not going to go away or be curbed, ever.

The thing is, it's getting harder and harder to steer away from, because I see it ALL THE TIME. I know that profane and perverse works of literature, art, music, photography, and film have been around for centuries, but back then, it was seemingly more obscure, and harder to find. Nowadays, it's the other way around; the decent, respectful, and clean-cut things are harder to find, while all of the explicit stuff keeps getting shoved into our faces, and I'm sick of it! I know it's here to stay, and while I don't expect it to go away completely, I still want it to be curbed, because I think it's going too far. (Of course, you might be thinking, "how far is too far?") Even little kids have access to this stuff, and they shouldn't, because it is inappropriate for them. There's a time and a place for everything, and certain things are only appropriate at certain times and certain places.

I think they should rate the lyrics of lyrics and music videos in the same manner that they do movies and video games, and the most explicit recording artists should be labeled MAX artists, and not be marketed towards younger audiences, filtered away from the rest of the non-MAX songs and music videos. Their concerts should also be rated for its content.

I'm just trying to find a concept that will please both those who like explicit music and those who don't. They should not subject people who don't like explicit music to explicit music, and that what I think that they're doing. I'm not stopping anyone else who likes their music from listening to their music (I actually like a few heavy metal bands myself), nor am I stopping the musical acts from continuing to perform the way that they do, but I still think that they should be more strictly regulated and filtered out, because not all of it is suitable for family audiences.

Miley Cyrus Performs In Underwear After Missing Costume Change (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/miley-cyrus-underwear_n_4933883.html)

Anyway, going back to Miley Cyrus, she recently decided to perform on stage in just her underwear, due to missing a costume change. To be honest, she could have just delayed the performance for just a few minutes in order to get into her costume (not that her costumes are much better than her underwear, but still), and then perform the next song.

Also, check this out:

'Achy Breaky 2' Releases from Billy Ray Cyrus and Buck 22 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/11/achy-breaky-2-billy-ray-cyrus-buck-22_n_4769563.html)

A few weeks ago (I forgot to post this earlier), her father, Billy Ray Cyrus, collaborated with rapper Buck 22 for a remix of his 1992 hit, "Achy Breaky Heart," simply entitled "Achy Breaky 2," and the music video is certainly too racy to be safe for work (or school, for that matter); it contains a whole bunch of extremely scantily-clad women wearing extremely racy thongs and twerking their butts out, and they even give a shout out to Miley in the video too. I think it's disgusting.

Jinx
03-12-2014, 10:42 PM
I have a solution for you: just move to the Middle East! :bigsmile:

noxious.sunshine
03-13-2014, 05:35 AM
Seriously.. Usually what's released on TV and radio is edited for expletives anyway. And we say Bitch, Dick, Ass, Damn, and Goddamn nonstop here. Nevermind all the times we say "trout" & "smurf" meaning the F & S words.

It's not getting harder, it's just that you're choosing to focus on it instead of focusing on things that you actually like. My advice would just download a bunch of Christian music & films and be over it already.The Duggar family has no problems with avoiding this stuff and they have NINETEEN CHILDREN. I'm pretty sure if they can do it, so can you.

I'm also pretty sure Billy Ray just re-made Achy Breaky Heart for the lulz and in support of his daughter.

Wal-Mart already doesn't sell any records with the "Explicit Content" label (aka the unedited versions of albums with lots of expletives).. Unless that's changed over the years. IDK .. I don't buy cds.

And sure, she -could- have delayed her performance, but being delayed due to costume mishaps can mess up a show.. The musicians are given run-throughs and specific times as to how things should flow.. That's why they do full-set rehearsals including the costume changes beforehand. There may be no communication between Miley & her assistants and the band. It would look bad if they started their music without her on stage ready to sing. Not to mention the time-frame the venue has.. Delaying a set for "a few minutes" just so Miley can finish changing her clothes can potentially off-set a large number of things being thrown off - not just with her band & crew, but with those working at the venue she played at as well.

Again, you're making something out of nothing. I, along with many others, have no problems whatsoever avoiding things we dislike seeing or hearing.. It takes all of 30 seconds to change the channel or the radio station. I don't understand why it seems to be such a problem for -you-.

The Man
03-13-2014, 04:10 PM
I don't understand why it seems to be such a problem for -you-.Because how could he have his self-righteous indignation if he actually made effort to avoid things he doesn't enjoy?

SuperMillionaire
03-21-2014, 03:01 PM
I have a solution for you: just move to the Middle East! :bigsmile:

I wouldn't go that far, Jinx. I'm okay with some suggestive content, but not if it goes too far, like with Miley Cyrus and several others. Let me ask you this: what kind of raunchy content would you consider "going too far"?

Also, I noticed on this board that whenever you post the F or S words, it is replaced with "smurf" and "trout," respectively, and that those are the only two words that are censored on this forum. Why is that, and what's up with that? "Smurf" is derived from The Smurfs, a cartoon in which they sometimes substitute the word "smurf" for certain words, and here, you use it to substitute for the F-bomb. Also, for your information, a trout is a fish:

I also hear that in Canada and Australia, the S word is considered a mild swear word, yet here in America, the only two words that are consistently completely censored at all times are this and the F word; they sometimes let other somewhat severe words slip through. The words "damn," "hell," "ass," and "bastard" (the seven-letter B word in which the second letter is an A) all seem to be mild swear words here in America, at least according to my experience. And in some PG-13-rated movies, the S word is uncensored, even when it is used multiple times (some movie occasionally also have a single uncensored F word as well).

Also, just because an album does not have the Parental Advisory sticker on it does not necessarily mean that it is suitable for family listening; it may still have lots of sex, drugs, and alcohol. That is why I recommend having a content rating system for lyrics and music videos akin to movies and video games. Content rating systems function as guidelines to inform us about the content and its suitability for family viewing or listening.

With that said, how far would you think is "going too far" in pushing the envelopes for explicit content in music?

Shauna
03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Also, for your information, a trout is a fish:

Thank goodness you let us know, I don't think any of us were aware of this when we chose this word as a filter.

We needed to have these words censored to be considered a "family friendly" forum early on. Some kind of advertising bottom line or something. Someone who is actually aware of why can probably go into more detail. Not sure if its still required, but it has become a part of the EoFF culture and even if we don't need to censor the words now, we will probably continue to until the end of time, because smurf it. :3

Jinx
03-21-2014, 03:22 PM
I really don't believe there's a thing as too far. I don't agree with every message in every song, but I also believe in freedom of speech and expression. I don't have to like it or support their message in any way...but I also don't have to listen to or watch something either, do I?

If you're really concerned about whether or not something is appropriate for you or your family, do the research. It's possible to even find out something you formerly supported (like Hannah Montana) is something you no longer want to support (backed by your hate for Miley Cyrus' supposed "raunchiness"). It's okay to no longer support something and speak out against it, really. What's not okay is imposing bans on what other people can and should be listening to.

I understand the whole "BUT I STILL MIGHT HEAR IT OUT IN PUBLIC!!!!" So don't frequent those places. It's pretty simple. And if you're just hearing someone swearing or talking about things you don't agree with in public...I mean, again. This is a free country and people can talk about whatever and however they damn well please, even in public. You don't have to actively listen to their conversation. You don't have to agree or like what they're saying. But it's really stupid to get offended when no one has done or said anything offensive to you. And if there are children around, explain to them that those aren't your values, or values you want them to have. The onus falls on you as a parent/mentor to teach children (what you consider to be) right from wrong; the onus does not fall on society to pad and shelter people who can't deal with things they don't like.

Old Manus
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
"Smurf" is derived from The Smurfs, a cartoon in which they sometimes substitute the word "smurf" for certain words, and here, you use it to substitute for the F-bomb. Also, for your information, a trout is a fish:

52484 I demand this thread be archived.

noxious.sunshine
03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Pretty much, we're talking in circles.

Millionaire wants hardcore censorship and GODDAMNIT he hates Miley.

He's never going to understand the concept of just letting it go.

If you're so worried about lyric content, there's a thing called GOOGLE. You can google albums and their lyrics and view them before allowing your child to buy that cd.

But honestly, getting too extreme with censorship and being overprotective can do more harm than good after a certain age.

SuperMillionaire
03-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I never said we should ban things with overly explicit content. And if you like it, fine, but don't blast it loud for everyone to hear. In fact, I actually think they should show NC-17-rated movies in movie theaters. I'm just saying that we should treat music with the same censorship that we do movies and video games.

Shorty
03-21-2014, 07:18 PM
We operate this forums under the guidelines of "if it's okay for public American television, it's okay for the forums". We are actually more strict than television in the case of the S-word now being allowed to say freely in some shows (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia).

The words the censored words are replaced with are jokes, nothing more.

Parker
03-21-2014, 07:36 PM
honestly smurfette tho.

you just know papa smurf was REDACTED

Mirage
03-21-2014, 08:54 PM
lol someone used the word f-bomb

i had no idea a trout was a fish, i thought it was like a bucket of vomit.

Shorty
03-21-2014, 08:55 PM
You're bucket-of-vomitting me.

Old Manus
03-21-2014, 09:07 PM
But will you pee in the bucket?

Shorty
03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Me? No.

Dat Matt
03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Also, for your information, a trout is a fish

Man how did I not catch that!? I've been calling people Smurf and Trout in real life as insults. Man must look like an idiot.

Speaking of which. I found another definition of Trout:

Trout

Trout = 40 something male hanging out in clubs looking for younger females to prey on. (male Cougar)
"He is such a Trout! He is to old to be in a club!"

Parker
03-21-2014, 10:27 PM
so a trout is basically iceglow in about 10 years or so, cool

Quindiana Jones
03-27-2014, 03:35 PM
The words "damn," "hell," "ass," and "bastard" (the seven-letter B word in which the second letter is an A) all seem to be mild swear words here...

Glorious.

Old Manus
03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Trout = 40 something male hanging out in clubs looking for younger females to prey on. (male Cougar)
"He is such a Trout! He is to old to be in a club!"I always thought it was a word for 40 year old past-their-sell-by-date women looking for younger males to prey on.

Madame Adequate
03-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Well I know what I'm nominating for Best Post next ciddies.

Shorty
03-27-2014, 07:39 PM
"He is such a Trout! He is to old to be in a club!"I always thought it was a word for 40 year old past-their-sell-by-date women looking for younger males to prey on.

Those are cougars.

Calliope
04-03-2014, 05:59 AM
Also, for your information, a trout is a fish:

Wow, I think that's up there with "people can be sux", "COPY PASTE DUH" and "I H8 u Super Delete".

Spuuky
04-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Those are cougars.Actually, for your information, a cougar is a large cat:

Quindiana Jones
04-03-2014, 08:13 AM
There's a small cat in that picture and now I'm confused.