PDA

View Full Version : GTA V: Scooter Brothers, A Love Story

Bolivar
09-16-2013, 03:03 PM
So I'm browsing The Twitter and game journos are either teasing "Our review of gta v GOES UP MONDAY!1" and asking "who ISN'T getting gta v!?" (I think that might be Rocket Edge's PSN status actually) I consider myself fairly current with the ongoings in gaming but I feel completely out of the loop with the hype on this one. We hardly talk about it on here, outside of the Saints Row fans bringing up how hard it's been surpassed.

I actually really enjoyed GTA IV but gaming had changed so much in the last 5 years and I just can't get myself as excited for this one. I'm getting the feeling 5 is not going to enjoy the same level of popularity the series has accumulated so far.

Are game journalists trying to manufacture interest that's no longer there or is it just me? Is this still a must-play series and why?

Madame Adequate
09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
It's... it's just you. Nearly everyone I know is going completely berserk over this game, and having watched some streams from people who grabbed it early over the weekend, so am I. I love SR4 but god damn, GTAV looks like it's on a whole other level. I've seen people buying PS3s or 360s just for this one game, knowing full well the console generation is at an end.

Del Murder
09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
I've never been into the GTA series but even I've seen the hype everywhere for this game. I think it's a big deal.

escobert
09-16-2013, 04:46 PM
don't care. I've shot/run over enough people in my lifetime.

Denmark
09-16-2013, 05:06 PM
i've played the original GTA and GTA3. once each, for at most about an hour each. and not within the last decade. i'm apathetic about the series.

Skyblade
09-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Eh, I'm with Bolivar here.

Granted, I've never liked the idea of the "gangster simulator", and have avoided the series entirely since GTA2.

But, to be honest, I haven't seen much hype about this game anywhere. I've seen maybe two commercials for it, one poster in my local Gamestop, and that's about it. I haven't seen anyone talking about it anywhere.

And the thing is, the game comes out tomorrow. And I only know that because I just Googled it. For THE MOST EXPENSIVE GAME OF ALL TIME (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/why-gta-v-is-the-most-expensive-game-ever-made-104928667.html#sVzsGAP) (and, wow, I didn't know hardly anything about the details of that article), this game has been remarkably quiet. Normally, any release this big, I'd be hearing about it everywhere. There would be threads here, discussions on other games or on "what are you playing" threads would be hijacked to bring this up.

For me to learn more about the game in the five minutes I've spent finding information and links for this post than what I've known in the months since its announcement is an indication that this game is not carrying nearly the hype of most major releases.

I admit that I've been hiding from the series. But it's not normally nearly so easy to hide from. GTA4 was a major event. I couldn't avoid it, no matter how much I wanted to. But GTAV? If it wasn't for this thread, I'd have completely forgotten about it.

Bolivar
09-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah I didn't realize the release was so close until I saw all the ads in the subway this weekend. I couldn't find a thread of it on the first page so i had to make this one myself. I've been asked if I was buying it as a passing curiosity but I don't think any of my irl friends are getting it. Contrast with 2008where we couldn't stop talking about all the different new features we were hearing about.

Slothy
09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
I've got to agree with Skyblade to some extent: for a game that's supposed to be so big, thing's have been quite quiet in the corners of the internet I frequent.

Personally, I'm indifferent at the moment. I'm sure I'll play it at some time in the future and come to my own conclusions about it first hand, but I'm in no hurry to try it if only because GTAIV managed to be one of the most boring games I've ever played. I'm still not even sure how you make a game that's about committing crimes, murder, prostitutes, drugs, etc. boring without deliberately trying.

Bunny
09-16-2013, 06:26 PM
You guys must only visit a handful of sites because I cannot go a day without seeing dozens of threads, articles, etc about it. Regardless of whether they are hyping it though, the game cost about 265 million to make and they made twice that in preorders alone. So whatever they are doing, regardless of visibility, it worked.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I will eventually get and play this game but I am in no rush. I have not heard as much news about this one than previous entries but that might also be because I am turned off by this game (I don't like their 3 character concept). I see plenty of articles and chatter about it but not the levels I was thinking I would see.

Vyk
09-16-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm with the minority, none of my friends are interested, save one who is maybe -slightly- interested. And none of the places I go to on the web is hyping it up. Not typically into Triple-A titles anyway, and have never been entertained or impressed with a GTA game. I've tried a few of them, and they just don't do it for me. Saints Row gets it right more often, and that's good enough for me. But then again, I've tried quite a few of Rockstar's franchises and none of those really grabbed my attention either. So I may rent GTA V in a year or so, but otherwise, not interested in the slightest, and extremely glad I'm not hearing about it every 10 seconds online

Pike
09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Although I'm not a big GTA person myself I know that Huxley has plans on getting this the day after he flies over. That's right, he's coming to the States not just to visit me but to play copious amounts of GTA on my 360 :p

Aulayna
09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
It's 8:25pm here and there's already a massive queue outside the Gamestop next to our office building for the midnight launch. It's bigger than the queue they had for The Last of Us (which is saying something as they had nearly 100 people queue up, in friggin' smalltown Cork, Ireland for The Last of Us).

Pete for President
09-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Couldn't care less, really.

GTA III was awesome, Vice City is legendary. But ever since San Andreas started the one-man-army and heavily scripted missions I have lost interest.

My friends are really hyped about it, which I don't really get.

I Took the Red Pill
09-16-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm so stoked for it. Seems like GTA4 gets a lot of hate these days but it's still one of my favorite games. I'll probably lock myself in my apartment for awhile with my cell phone turned off, start pissing in Mason Jars, and ordering enough pizzas to keep the local place in business for a decade.

Jessweeee♪
09-17-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm seeing plenty of marketing yeah, but I don't know a whole lot of actual people who are excited. I think I will probably play it someday, but I'm not really into the series anymore.

EDIT:

I take it back. I wound up with a copy and great things are happening.

Pheesh
09-17-2013, 02:22 AM
I preordered it but because I refused to pay crappy AU prices I have to wait for it to ship, longest 4-12 days of my life.

The online trailer was what sold me, this games looks like it has gone above and beyond.

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2013, 03:20 AM
don't care. I've shot/run over enough people in my lifetime.

But have you played any GTA games?

theundeadhero
09-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Didn't even know it was coming out until just now. Haven't played a GTA for more than 10 minutes since the first one in the 90s. Not too concerned about it.

Psychotic
09-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Why the fuck did they have to release it on a Tuesday? :colbert:

Old Manus
09-17-2013, 10:54 AM
I bought into the hype train with GTA4 and the fun blew over after around a week. I haven't seen that many groundbreaking things with this game (apart from the multiplayer) this time around to pique my interest that much.

Mirage
09-17-2013, 11:22 AM
I might have bought it if one of the baddies were a woman. That could have been interesting.

yukina
09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Played for around 5 minutes a few years ago and never touched it again.

Del Murder
09-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Games are almost always released on Tuesday.

Bolivar
09-17-2013, 02:59 PM
I might have bought it if one of the baddies were a woman. That could have been interesting.

Yeah I think they missed a real opportunity, especially since they were going with multiple protagonists, they could have at least made one female protagonist.

Pike
09-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Games are almost always released on Tuesday.

Yup. Same with music, DVDs and so on.

Jiro
09-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Seen some hype about the game. Not a huge deal, which is concerning, but there have been ads around which I rarely see for anything else. I'm interested, but broke. :(

Madame Adequate
09-17-2013, 05:25 PM
In the UK things almost always come out on Fridays, so people can enjoy their weekends with them. But GTAV got a global release because otherwise everyone would pirate it instead of waiting another three days. Everything should get a global release and the release days should be Fridays. Best of both worlds!

I'm super busy today but I just managed to snag like an hour of GTA V and it's pretty god damn amazing so far. I can't wrap my head around how huge the world is, for a start, and the shooting and driving and fighting feel so much better than in IV, and I didn't have any major complaints about IV in that respect either. Also the first time I stepped out of my house in free-roam after the intro stuff, I walked past a group of dudes and for no reason I could discern they freaked out and three scattered whilst the fourth pulled out a knife and stabbed me to death. :laughing:

Bunny
09-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I walked past a group of dudes and for no reason I could discern they freaked out and three scattered whilst the fourth pulled out a knife and stabbed me to death

Were you playing the black dude?

Hollycat
09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I can't stand the way GTA games look, so I'm skipping this till it gets to be about $20.

Sephex
09-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Got it today. I had lots of fun with it. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow as well.

Quindiana Jones
09-18-2013, 04:24 AM
I think that people who care about GTA games care quite a lot about V, but people who don't probably don't.

Del Murder
09-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Pretty much!

comma
09-18-2013, 05:57 AM
I've played every GTA game except San Andreas, and no, I don't really give two shits about GTAV. GTAIV was tedious.

Hollycat
09-18-2013, 05:58 AM
I've played every GTA game except San Andreas, and no, I don't really give two trouts about GTAV. GTAIV was tedious.
We agree on something. How spectacular.

Psychotic
09-18-2013, 07:37 AM
In the UK things almost always come out on Fridays, so people can enjoy their weekends with them. But GTAV got a global release because otherwise everyone would pirate it instead of waiting another three days. Everything should get a global release and the release days should be Fridays. Best of both worlds!Yeah, haha, I am used to the US getting things about 3 days before we do. This would explain it!

Also why the fuck do I ever trust Amazon argh :colbert:

Mirage
09-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Yeah I think they missed a real opportunity, especially since they were going with multiple protagonists, they could have at least made one female protagonist.

More than one would have been pretty unrealistic. 2 out of 3 would make most of them female, which would be fine by me, but probably not a lot of other people.

Pike
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
I've played every GTA game except San Andreas

So basically you played all of them but the best one? :p

Pete for President
09-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Hohoho that is one heck of a statement. I would rank VC as the best.

My housemate bought V today and I had a go for an hour or 2. First my fears came true with killing a lot of mindless enemies, a big bulk of rubber banding, and psychic markers letting you know where stuff is because who knows what will happen if we don't have a visual reference of where to find every single thing. But anyway I had fun exploring the world and driving myself off cliffs and getting shot by tanks.

Sephex
09-18-2013, 11:54 AM

He didn't say he missed out on Vice City.

Slothy
09-18-2013, 12:32 PM
San Andreas was great and all, but I've always preferred Vice City. It's a much tighter and more focused experience and doesn't lose its momentum two thirds of the way through.

Bolivar
09-18-2013, 03:19 PM
I've played every GTA game except San Andreas, and no, I don't really give two trouts about GTAV. GTAIV was tedious.

I actually liked IV and did play San Andreas, but just can't get into this one. So that's. ..kind. ... of 3 of us.

I agree with Vice City being the zenith. San Andreas had a ridiculous amount of content but it lost some of the pastiche-iness that made III and VC so good.

Mercen-X
09-19-2013, 04:36 AM
I've played III, VC, and SA... owned. I also played a bit of IV despite not owning a system of my own to play it on. I'm tired of sandbox games with no real point. I'm more interested in Sleeping Dogs, but I'm not going to go out and buy a system for that either.

Vyk
09-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Sleeping Dogs doesn't really require a monster rig. I don't know what kind of PC you have, but if it has a modestly decent Intel graphics card it may be possible (seems plausible anyway) to play it without having to own a 360 or PS3. It's frequently on sale on Steam as well

Psychotic
09-19-2013, 07:28 AM
I absolutely loved Vice City but I dunno, the absolute freedom of San Andreas was the high point for me, when you consider what a relatively tiny area Vice City was. Plus, no swimming or planes! Still, VC was still a 10/10 game. Now, GTA IV was not in any way bad, but a lot more constrained, both in terms of freedom of missions (this guy is invulnerable and does 90 degree turns at 100mph until he crashes into our set piece bus, fun right?) and outside of them. The DLC episodes fixed some of my complaints though and were a lot better.

Anyway, I finally have this. smurf yeah. It looks absolutely gorgeous and the huge size of the thing blows my mind. Plus, animals! Animals in a GTA game!

Scotty_ffgamer
09-19-2013, 07:37 AM
This game does intrigue me a bit. The only GTA game I've played is Vice City. My cousin used to bring it by my house to play pretty often. I loved Vice City, and if this would be worth getting if it's at least as fun as that one.

Madame Adequate
09-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Hohoho that is one heck of a statement. I would rank VC as the best.

He didn't say he missed out on Vice City.

San Andreas was great and all, but I've always preferred Vice City. It's a much tighter and more focused experience and doesn't lose its momentum two thirds of the way through.

I actually liked IV and did play San Andreas, but just can't get into this one. So that's. ..kind. ... of 3 of us.

I agree with Vice City being the zenith. San Andreas had a ridiculous amount of content but it lost some of the pastiche-iness that made III and VC so good.

ITT racists.

Sephex
09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Naw man, CJ was my homie. I just like VC better.

Yes, I know you were joking.

Quindiana Jones
09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
The shop just got them in. Will have the game in 15 hours.

Pike
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Naw man, CJ was my homie. I just like VC better.

Yes, I know you were joking.

Yeah I was just rusing. If you like VC more that's cool, I ain't gonna call it less than a 10/10 all time classic that I really love, but god damn SA was just so huge, so deep, so detailed. There's a reason that it along with SR2 are regarded as the definitive open-world crime games, though I suspect that is changing with this release.

I can't wrap my head around the technical achievement that is this game though. Good God it's vast, and aside form the jaggies it's absurdly good looking for the tech it is running on.

Also Lamar's dialog is goddamn hilarious.

E; welp, didn't realize it had signed Pike back in. :p

Pike
09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm sitting here like "when did I respond to this" xD

Old Manus
09-19-2013, 04:27 PM
MILF's posts confirmed for being indistinguishable to Pike's

Sephex
09-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm sitting here like "when did I respond to this" xD

I bet he "accidentally" put on your clothes, too.

comma
09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

So basically you played all of them but the best one? :pYep. I'm well aware that San Andreas is regarded as the best by the most people. Vice City being second, sure.

Freya
09-21-2013, 02:22 AM
SO GTA V is the biggest entertainment launch in all history. It made $1 billion in sales in it's first 3 days. It took Black Ops 2 15 days to hit that. It took the movie the Avengers 19 days to hit that. Not only did it beat the biggest selling movie, it beat it by 16 days.

So do people care about GTA? I think that is a resounding yes. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/09/20/grand-theft-auto-v-crosses-1b-in-sales-biggest-entertainment-launch-in-history/)

Jessweeee♪
09-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Vice City had Pressing Issues and that makes it the best one.

Psychotic
09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Update: This game rules.

That is all.

Madame Adequate
09-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Jesus Christ, Trevor.

Jiro
09-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I only watched like an hour of this being played and it makes me wanna dive in.

Psychotic
09-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Jesus Christ, Trevor.Indeed.

I got to the bit where he is playable last night and, welp, Johnny! What the fuck was that! God damn. Terry and Clay too.

Clyde's Shadow
09-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Got it on release day. Haven't had too much time to play yet, but I'm loving it so far. I can see this game keeping me busy for a long, long time. Online play should be interesting, looking forward to that.

Madame Adequate
09-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Jesus Christ, Trevor.Indeed.

I got to the bit where he is playable last night and, welp, Johnny! What the fuck was that! God damn. Terry and Clay too.

I was just doing that exact mission a few hours ago and that's exactly what prompted my comment! I love Johnny and the Lost but god damn Trevor is amazing. What a crazy fucker.

Quindiana Jones
09-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Got it. Just met Lester. God damn this game is magnificent.

Jessweeee♪
09-22-2013, 04:48 AM
Y-axis invert only, my greatest nemesis :argh:

Hollycat
09-22-2013, 04:59 AM
jfltwApnhMQ
It takes me like an extra hour to get used to inverted vertical when I play a game.

Vyk
09-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Wow, one thing I can actually give props to Rockstar on. I much prefer "piloting" the camera. Probably will still steer clear of the game, however

Psychotic
09-22-2013, 09:42 AM
The first mission where you can be all three of them is fucking immense. I loved it.

Meanwhile the mission involving the Azerbaijani having to torture that poor dude as Trevor. Man that was fucking horrible, GRAND THEFT AUTO HITS NEW LOW.... FOR FREEDOM!

Also is it me or is it way too hard to lose the cops? And they escalate for no apparent reason. I was just chilling near a hotel as Trevor while drinking IRL and some woman called a cop on me for no apparent reason. I mean, I guess I was Trevor but still. But yeah, you leap from one to two stars without having done anything to earn it, it's weird.

Jessweeee♪
09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
jfltwApnhMQ
It takes me like an extra hour to get used to inverted vertical when I play a game.

Ugh yeah I hate it when one axis is inverted and the other isn't and you can't change it. At least here I have the option to leave it as standard but I much much prefer dual invert with third person view :(

EDIT:

Just found the guy at the LEGALIZE WEED stand. Oh my god what is happening.

Sephex
09-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Haven't had too much time to play it this weekend, but holy hell, I am truly enjoying this one the more I play it. Good job, Rockstar! Also, lol'd at the thread title change.

Jessweeee♪
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Took a break from the story to dick around with the cheats and then I was in the sky and then I wasn't and then sharks happened and I died :(

Pete for President
09-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I had to click away pop-ups. I HAD TO CLICK AWAY POP-UPS. Seriously, where's the fun in that. Drive from A to B, shoot the dots on the map. I'm not joining in on the hype. I'm sure it's awesome in many departments (including driving yourself off cliffs and stuff) but it's just too much hold-your-hand, one-man-army & gimmicky for me.

Laddy
09-23-2013, 04:16 PM
San Andreas > Vice City.

Anyway, might pick this up after a price drop.

Tigmafuzz
09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Just finished the main story. Why would anyone pick options A or B?

EDIT: I take it back, I can understand if you wanted to kill Trevor.

Quindiana Jones
09-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Also is it me or is it way too hard to lose the cops? And they escalate for no apparent reason. I was just chilling near a hotel as Trevor while drinking IRL and some woman called a cop on me for no apparent reason. I mean, I guess I was Trevor but still. But yeah, you leap from one to two stars without having done anything to earn it, it's weird.

I like the police being a bit manlier. The trick is that if you stay on the roads, they'll be able to keep track of and up with you much easier, whereas if you go off the beaten track, you'll drop 'em easy enough. Even in cities, you can go all Drive and bomb it down an alleyway, stop your car, turn off the lights and wait for the heat to die down - all while the cops drive around on the roads nearby! :D

Pheesh
09-23-2013, 10:24 PM
They also do actual police tactics like overtaking you and slowing right down while another car pushes you forward so you can't reverse. I thought that was a neat touch.

Sephex
09-24-2013, 12:27 AM
This game just has a lot of attention to detail in general, and I keep noticing little things every time I play! Just noticed today that when you change the radio, your character leans in the car to actually use the controls in the car. Not a huge deal, but one of the many nice touches.

Freya
09-24-2013, 02:20 AM
Yeah the flip flops actually flip and flop

http://i.minus.com/iMwZko1Cpcro4.gif

Quindiana Jones
09-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Trevor.

Trevor.

Trevor is like a cross between Paul and Jack Nicholson. He's amazing.

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 08:04 AM
I had to click away pop-ups. I HAD TO CLICK AWAY POP-UPS. Seriously, where's the fun in that. Drive from A to B, shoot the dots on the map. I'm not joining in on the hype. I'm sure it's awesome in many departments (including driving yourself off cliffs and stuff) but it's just too much hold-your-hand, one-man-army & gimmicky for me.I dunno dude, you can't complain about the game being "drive here and shoot things" and then about the pop up mission which is precisely the opposite of that xD

Trevor.

Trevor.

Trevor is like a cross between Paul and Jack Nicholson. He's amazing.And what part of Trevor is particularly Paulesque? Is it the Mr Raspberry Jam incident? :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
09-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Pete. Turn off radar and mini-map. Trust me, man. :D

It's his wit, I think. The Franklin mission is a perfect example. Everyone's yelling at Franklin, so he joins in. Then he starts flirting with Franklin's aunt, which ends when she realises he only gave her 7 dollars. "I said buy something nice, not something expensive. Now get the smurf out of here." That's very you. xD

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Oh go on then :greenie:

Also yeah the 7 dollars line was genius. Also there is some moment when he randomly smacks a ped in the face in a cut scene for no apparent reason. The person I was watching the game with said that he was acting just like me because that is literally what I go around doing in the game.

Aulayna
09-24-2013, 07:16 PM
'dem bicycles

http://i.imgur.com/A85PxGv.gif

Quindiana Jones
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM
I tend to roleplay a little with each character. Michael is mostly law abiding, only committing serious crimes out of necessity (sod driving laws, though!). Franklin is pretty similar, but Trevor is... unique.

If someone beeps at Trevor, he drags them out of their car and beats them to near-death. If someone dents his car, he drives them off the road. If someone exists anywhere in the vicinity, he's like to insult them. It's great fun.

Omni-Odin
09-24-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't enjoy being the villain in a videogame. Never have. Never will. I'm sure the game is fun, but GTA is just not for me.

Shiny
09-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah the flip flops actually flip and flop

http://i.minus.com/iMwZko1Cpcro4.gif
The attention to detail in this game is amazing.

Who do you guys like playing as the most? I love playing as Trevor. His missions are always a blast, but I do enjoy the multi-person heist missions as well.

For play style, I make Trevor the mommy loving villain because there's really no other way to play him. With Michael I make him sort of a good person. He protects and cares for his family and helps random women get their purses back, but at the same time he has anger issues that he's trying to resolve with his psych. Franklin is the anti-hero poor Compton boy who's like Robin Hood of sorts, but for himself so mostly a cross between the two.

Quindiana Jones
09-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Michael is also a total boss at evading the cops. He'll hide out and avoid them, whereas Franklin will simply outrun them. Trevor stops what he's doing and tries to talk it over with them in a calm and adult fashion.

Rampages are amazing in this game. It's a crime that there are only five.

Psychotic
09-25-2013, 07:26 AM
I don't get the idea that Michael is a good person. His therapist and family treat him like a typical mass-murdering, pedestrian-crushing sociopath like all the GTA main characters inadvertently are outside of the story missions, and it's great.

Quindiana Jones
09-25-2013, 08:26 AM
I see him as a professional, not a good person. :D

Madame Adequate
09-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Michael wants to be a good person I guess, but has no idea how to be. He does have a streak of mercy in that he prefers not to kill witnesses but that might just be pragmatism as a heist is going to be a lot more seriously pursued and punished if people died than if it all went peacefully.

The cops can be damned hard to lose. And one time I had someone call them on me for no reason too. I parked my car to pop into SubUrban and some woman looking on goes "Stay back or I'll call the police!" and whilst walking away from her she decided to do exactly that. They're also very tenacious in keeping on you and it takes a long time for stars to disappear after they lose sight of you, but I don't really mind it at all because I've never had many cop problems before.

Psychotic
09-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Seriously, if you stand near people for too long they will either call the cops or start punching you. It's weird.

Quindiana Jones
09-25-2013, 05:59 PM
I would probably call the cops if Trevor stood too near to me for too long, to be honest.

Jessweeee♪
09-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Must be something that happens as the plot advances. Perhaps the characters gaining a reputation? I'm really early on and none of that happens to me.

Psychotic
09-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I thought it was racial profiling of poor Franklin. "Black dude in the Vinewood hills? And he's not Denzel Washington or Morgan Freeman? CRIMINAAAAAAAAAAAL!"

When you switch to Trevor he is always in some very fucking interesting situations. I'll make spoilers just in case you want the sheer wtf factor for yourselves. He wakes up on a beach in just a pair of underpants with several bodies strewn around him. He is not sure how he got here xD and he is in a limo and sings "If you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise!" fucking love that man. Franklin and Michael are just getting coffee or watching TV, but Trevor is amazing.

Quindiana Jones
09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Have you been scooter buddies with anyone yet? Probably my favourite bit of the whole game.

Psychotic
09-26-2013, 05:38 PM
what? what is this and how does this happen

Quindiana Jones
09-26-2013, 06:00 PM
I switched to Trevor. He was riding a scooter next to some hipster guy in the pouring rain, screaming about how they were scooter buddies. I kept following him, just to see how long Trevor could go on for.

The answer is forever.

Psychotic
09-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Dear lord.

Trevor is the gift that keeps on giving.

Pete for President
09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
I had to click away pop-ups. I HAD TO CLICK AWAY POP-UPS. Seriously, where's the fun in that. Drive from A to B, shoot the dots on the map. I'm not joining in on the hype. I'm sure it's awesome in many departments (including driving yourself off cliffs and stuff) but it's just too much hold-your-hand, one-man-army & gimmicky for me.I dunno dude, you can't complain about the game being "drive here and shoot things" and then about the pop up mission which is precisely the opposite of that xD

Maybe I used the wrong set of words, but what I meant was that you rarely have to find something yourself as all of the objectives are clearly marked and I find it not challenging enough.

Pete. Turn off radar and mini-map. Trust me, man. :D

Thanks Quin! Tried it and it definitely got more interesting.

Tigmafuzz
09-27-2013, 01:13 AM
I love derailing the cable cars with sticky bombs.

I love picking up cows with forklifts and putting them in the back of trucks.

I love towing a truck and then towing that tow truck with a bigger tow truck and making a line of trucks.

I love hitching a boat to a truck and then sitting in the boat and letting an NPC drive me around.

I love this game.

I love you all.

Kifflom.

Jessweeee♪
09-27-2013, 03:45 AM
scooter buddies what oh my god

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2013, 04:05 AM
It was amazing. My description doesn't do the moment justice. It may be set, in which case it happens just before an early FIB mission. But I hope it's random, because then I may get to relive it!

And it is much better with all that stuff off, Pete. Rockstar are really good at making beautiful and detailed worlds, but you often miss out because you stare at the bottom left corner and follow a painted line instead. Similarly, the combat mechanics are pretty good, but not when you're just playing a pop-up shooting gallery. Disabling the HUD makes the game so much more intense, because you have to pay attention to what's going on or you'll get shot in the back. And you quickly develop landmarks of the world, so you can drive around without having to open your map to find out where you're going. GTA IV was much better after I got rid of all that, and Red Dead was utterly glorious. I feel Rockstar include all that stuff for people who just want to cause havoc, or go through the missions quickly, but for people like us, they included the option to disable it all. :D

Psychotic
09-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Oh so you're the proto-Rockstar-hipster, huh?

Tigmafuzz's list sounds fucking crazy. I haven't even thought of doing half this stuff. When I beat the game (tonight I hope!) then I am going to get some mayhem going.

Jinx
09-27-2013, 12:24 PM
This thread is making me really want to play this game.

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Damn right, I am. :colbert:

Loony BoB
09-27-2013, 04:05 PM
This thread is making me really want to play this game.
Seriously. FFXIV will inevitably save me a few quid as I resist until the game price has dropped marginally...

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2013, 08:22 PM
You all are the worst. I read most of this thread knowing I shouldn't be buying a new game, and I also have never been hyped about a Grand Theft Auto game before. And now I bought it.

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2013, 09:38 PM
One of us. One of us. ONE OF US.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2013, 09:48 PM
It was the scooter comment that did it, I think. Also, strangely enough, the flip flop gif.

Jiro
09-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Gotta love the realistic jandals. I'm gonna buy it for the heists, but fortunately I can force myself to wait a little.

Psychotic
09-28-2013, 12:23 PM
I just had the Scooter Brothers incident :love: We were having such an adventure until he hit a bus and fell off, and then as he tried to get back on, another car twatted him too. :(

Did the big heist and the getaway was a Saints throwback. Bright purple, gold rims, tricked to the nines, awesome. Was hiding in an alleyway from the cops when they discovered me. As they got out, I let out a blast of this bad boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjMRHiY0UU) and drove right past them.

Just finished the main story. Why would anyone pick options A or B?

EDIT: I take it back, I can understand if you wanted to kill Trevor.Finally reading these spoilers. Regarding the first one, I don't know either, no motivation whatsoever. What the hell was that meant to be, really? Regarding the second one, get out of this thread. Don't post in it again. You don't belong here.

Great game, definitely a huge improvement on IV. It's a shame that it had no co-op because it seems to lend itself to that so well.

Jinx
09-28-2013, 04:50 PM
lPYmvOOVclQ

Mirage
09-28-2013, 06:55 PM
The only funny part was the part with the deer

Psychotic
09-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah pretty much. It works as a one-off joke rather than a whole video.

Shiny
09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Michael wants to be a good person I guess, but has no idea how to be. He does have a streak of mercy in that he prefers not to kill witnesses but that might just be pragmatism as a heist is going to be a lot more seriously pursued and punished if people died than if it all went peacefully.

The cops can be damned hard to lose. And one time I had someone call them on me for no reason too. I parked my car to pop into SubUrban and some woman looking on goes "Stay back or I'll call the police!" and whilst walking away from her she decided to do exactly that. They're also very tenacious in keeping on you and it takes a long time for stars to disappear after they lose sight of you, but I don't really mind it at all because I've never had many cop problems before.

Probably because you were shopping at a Surburban. binco 4 lief. The only store where I can buy a cocks shirt with running shorts.

Also I love Trevour's scooter brother thing and pretty much every weird ass cinematic I get when I switch to him.

Quindiana Jones
09-30-2013, 07:34 PM
So, Franklin just had a Lassie moment.

Scooter Brothers has competition for the greatest moment in GTA V/gaming.

Psychotic
09-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Yes indeed, Franklin meets Lassie was delightful.

Tigmafuzz
10-01-2013, 03:06 AM
http://i.imgur.com/iEUyCy7.jpg

Skyblade
10-01-2013, 05:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/iEUyCy7.jpg

This pic and the video with the deer have been the only enjoyment I've gotten out of this thread. Kudos to you.

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2013, 05:07 AM
I don't like burning myself, which is why I don't stick my hands in fires, Skyblade.

Skyblade
10-01-2013, 05:09 AM
I don't like burning myself, which is why I don't stick my hands in fires, Skyblade.

At least there is something enjoyable in this thread.

Mostly I'm just miffed that this is pretty much the only active thread in the entire gaming part of the forums right now. I don't like coming in here, but it's the only way to talk to you guys.

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2013, 05:36 AM
No point trying to have social interactions with people if you're just gonna piss on their parade. That's no way to make friends.

Skyblade
10-01-2013, 05:47 AM
I was complimenting Tig and Jinx! There's nothing wrong with that.

Tigmafuzz
10-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Someone apparently discovered the best way to escape the police:

http://i.imgur.com/mxkihmx.gif

Skyblade
10-01-2013, 06:16 AM
I thought you all said this game was realistic.

Just how fast was that car going?

Tigmafuzz
10-01-2013, 07:07 AM

The Moon Gravity cheat was on.

Psychotic
10-01-2013, 07:34 AM
I want this to be a thread about Tigmafuzz posting stories or gifs or images he finds on the internet about this game. And Quin making words. That is it. Nobody else is allowed to post.

Shiny
10-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Eat me.

Just found out that scooter brothers is a reference to some guy on Youtube. You too can be famous in the world of Grand Theft Auto.

Psychotic
10-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Alright, I should just rephrase that to say "Skyblade can't post".

Skyblade
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM

The Moon Gravity cheat was on.

In that case there's an entirely different problem. Greatly reduced gravity means not enough downforce on the car, so you'd lose traction and spin out.

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh, fuck off, Skyblade. xD

Psychotic
10-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Skyblade posted in Feedback that he does not like profile rapes. Well, one more post, just one more, and I will do it.

Suggestions welcomed.

Shiny
10-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Steven Ogg aka Trevor is in my stomping grounds...I'm scared ;__; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qn5diT7Gkas)

Even knitting is turned in to a violent event (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbPxy_D99Q)

Him and Lamar are my favorite characters. Trevor because he's so unpredictable and the voice acting is damn good and Lamar because he reminds me of a funnier Mike Epps. Franklin is second favorite after them because he seems some what sensible and he looks good in the clothes I put him in, but he sounds like Ice Cube so that decreases points for him.

Tigmafuzz
10-08-2013, 07:26 AM
wMuCcSWOBrM

Quindiana Jones
10-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Everyone having fun online?

I just made a crew recently to get some of those tasty bonuses for my mates. It's a pretty cool gimmick. Been doing races to get my stats up. I just unlocked the ability to put a bounty of someone's head, which is magnificent fun. :D

Also, are crews cross-platform? And is there an EoFF crew yet?

Psychotic
10-10-2013, 07:29 AM
I haven't even touched online because I have no fucking friends who play this. Well, I think I've seen Sephex playing it. Maybe Jessweeee? I don't know. Someone thought it would be a good idea to move to China, and someone else thought it would be a hoot to move to Japan. :colbert:

Tigmafuzz
10-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I was a hoot once

http://i.imgur.com/bfW9iH3.gif

Jessweeee♪
10-11-2013, 02:55 AM
I haven't even touched online because I have no fucking friends who play this. Well, I think I've seen Sephex playing it. Maybe Jessweeee? I don't know. Someone thought it would be a good idea to move to China, and someone else thought it would be a hoot to move to Japan. :colbert:

I got distracted by building a computer that can play FFXIV and then I saw FFVII was five dollars on steam and then I got more hours at work and I've put all of four hours into story mode and haven't touched it at all since GTA Online launched. I'm excited about it, but I've put so much on my plate already xD

Iceglow
10-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Well someone may buy the game today, depends on finances mate.

Elskidor
10-11-2013, 07:22 AM

It's about the only one worth a damn. Played the hell out of San Andreas once upon a time. I have not tried V yet though.

Psychotic
10-11-2013, 07:36 AM
DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL

Also, elks, no no my friend, no. San Andreas is indeed the pinnacle, but the others are all worth every damn you could imagine, even going back to the original GTA.

Shiny
10-11-2013, 07:50 AM
You're never on when I am, but I guess I will play it with you.

I haven't played San Andreas either because my dad is racist. He says it's bad to play games with black people killing people, but some how okay for Russians and Italians. the hell

Iceglow
10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
what was your dad's opinion on Resident Evil 5?

Tigmafuzz
10-11-2013, 10:49 AM
DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL

Also, elks, no no my friend, no. San Andreas is indeed the pinnacle, but the others are all worth every damn you could imagine, even going back to the original GTA.

My favorite is still GTA2 :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2013, 03:51 PM
GTA: London, represent.

Madame Adequate
10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
GTA London was shit and only British people who feel maligned by a perceived lack of British media claim to like it. The one good thing was "You're Nicked!"

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2013, 06:50 PM
That is the reason it was brilliant.

Iceglow
10-11-2013, 08:19 PM
So far I'm finding the game a lot more accessible than GTA IV, IV's storyline and side quest structure was all wrong. However V seems to have done it right even with 3 protagonists. Only have access to Michael and Franklin at the moment but liking the balance. I'm also very much a fan of the way Taxi drops no longer have a time limit associated with them, you're rewarded more for careful and getting there safely than quickly, doesn't stop me hitting the country roads hard shoulder out in Blaine County and flooring it.

Iceglow
10-12-2013, 03:08 AM
As an additional un-related post to the above. I finally did my first Trevor Mission. The man is purely and simply Paul with a redneck accent. I'm not even sure where to begin. I mean we're talking everything from the insanity, the humour, the way he takes out a trailer to the male pattern baldness and bad fashion sense. Yes bad fashion taste from the guy who brought you a double denim outfit 12 years prior to it being fashionable. Which makes me the ultimate hipster or some shit...

Quindiana Jones
10-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Had a day off work today. Spent the whole day finding cars online that have the most unique tuning options. Great fun, and I've got myself a Rat Rod, a Baja truck, a rally car, a ridiculous muscle car and a few other, less magnificent specimens. Unfortunately, it'll be another 20 to 40 levels before I can get them all completely finished. Such a tease. :(

EDIT: I just took part in an off-road race that has you jump a train, but I landed in the fucking carriage. You couldn't have asked for more perfect timing. I was in first, I took the jump, and I landed in a bucket carriage. The one bucket out of a train full of solid carriages. I got stuck in there, and DNF'd because I couldn't get out. :(

Iceglow
10-16-2013, 05:28 PM
GTA V (Ursula the Weird Ass!) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg_HJZ8JF5Y)

Totally Sarah! Tell me you didn't think it too!

Pete for President
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL

Agreed (although VC>SA imo :greenie:). I like how the older games weren't restricted to one way of finishing the game. The goal was to get your hands on a certain amount of money in whichever way you see fit. Get a tank and mayhem till you reach a million? Works. Finish rampages all over town? Works. Oh, and the missions work too.

I also liked the gang & rivalry system. Finish a mission for one gang, you piss off the other. It had more freedom in which missions you wanted to do and for which faction you wanted to work. I wish they brought that back in GTA.

Pheesh
10-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Trevor Phillips (Steven Ogg) from GTA 5 Tells me "Go F*** Yourself" NY Comic Con 2013 (Original) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMuJbn_OhA)

I would shit my pantaloons

Shiny
10-27-2013, 06:33 AM
I regret missing that panel. Damn you Walking Dead panel for being the same day. ;__;

There were empty seats too which is very strange considering the love for that game.

Jessweeee♪
11-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Okay so I finally got to playing online. Got my character all made up, did the race, won the race, and then got a message saying the players voted to kick me out? Baaaabieeeesss. Or is this because I'm a lady? Or just because? I really don't know the crowd yet being online for all of five minutes.

Psychotic
11-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Probably all of them.