PDA

View Full Version : Fisheh Fisheh!

noxious.sunshine
09-17-2013, 07:24 PM
What types do you like? (Of fish).. And how do you like it cooked?

I loooooove tilapia. I love it grilled, I love it in ceviche, I love it grilled or fried in fish tacos. I will not eat it whole. That junk is -creepy- af.

I also like Salmon, Tuna, Swordfish, and some others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I hate catfish though. They're just. bleh. Groooosss... My mom attributes it to this one time when I ordered it somewhere and it made me sick. I pretended like I remember this happening, but I really don't. I don't remember at all. And -seeing- those big ass 45 lb catfish? Dear, sweet, Jesus no. nononononononono.

Spuuky
09-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I basically only like fish if it is raw. The best sashimi is pretty much always going to be tuna, but yellowtail is often better in this area, and I personally have a fondness for red snapper.

noxious.sunshine
09-17-2013, 07:34 PM
sushi. yummy. I love yellowtail tuna....

Hollycat
09-17-2013, 07:56 PM
I can't stand Tuna, but I love salmon.

Mirage
09-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I like salmon and trout (not wordfilter) a lot. I usually just go for fried salmon filet when I'm making it myself, because easy, fast and cheap. I do however like both those kinds of fish in just about every possible way they could be prepared, including sushi. Mackerel is also pretty good tasting, and so is tuna. Pollock tastes good if prepared right, or used in some sort of... stuff. I have no idea what it's called, just that my mother used to make it.

Slothy
09-18-2013, 12:06 AM
I like Salmon, but haven't had many other types.

Shlup
09-18-2013, 01:00 AM
I basically only like fish if it is raw. The best sashimi is pretty much always going to be tuna, but yellowtail is often better in this area, and I personally have a fondness for red snapper.

Just pretend I wrote that post. My father-in-law bakes a pretty good salmon, but other than that I really don't care for cooked fish. Unless you count eel, I guess.

Spuuky
09-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Eel =/

So slimy and salty. I'm not a fan.

Shlup
09-18-2013, 02:21 AM
Salty? You've been letting the wrong people touch your eel.

Spuuky
09-18-2013, 03:12 AM
Sea eel is extremely salty. Have you ever eaten it? Anago, not unagi.

Shlup
09-18-2013, 03:20 AM
Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of anago; I've had it maybe twice. I love unagi though.

Night Fury
09-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Salmon is probably my favourite as it's so versatile. I actually made some gorgeous Salmon tacos a week or so ago and they were just.... YUM

But mostly I will bake any fish I have, it's quick and easy and you can just kind of forget about it for a while.

Jiro
09-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Never really been a big fish kind of guy. Don't like the texture much. My favourite is the fish they give me when I ask for fish'n'chips so yeah :|

Scotty_ffgamer
09-18-2013, 07:43 AM
I've never really liked fish in general. That being said, when I visited family in Ketchikan, Alaska; I got to eat some salmon that was freshly caught by my uncle and I. His neighbor smoked the salmon up for us. I loved it. I also got to have halibut tacos during that trip that actually weren't bad, but that might because the halibut was hidden under layers of salsa and other such toppings.

Chris
09-18-2013, 02:07 PM
OMG YES! There's nothing like sucking out its eyeballs! :drool:

http://www.thephilippineisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sinigang_na_ulo_isda1.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq42/shinealightnyc/brains2.jpg

sharkythesharkdogg
09-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I like all kinds of fish prepared all types of different ways. I really enjoy fresh sashimi and sushi. The flavors are delicate and wonderful.

On the opposite end, I also love a good fish fry. Some of my best childhood memories are of catching brim and bass out of a pond while camping, and pan frying them with some cornbread batter. Delicious.

noxious.sunshine
09-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Oooo I used to go fishing with my pawpaw down in Florida before he died. There was a massive pond with a dock behind his house that had alligators and shit in it.. We'd catch blue gill and he taught me how to clean & gut them & then we'd either pan fry or sear the filets.

I caught a 45 lb grinnle (however that's spelled)... The fish with teeth.lol He had to call a friend to come and get it 'cuz it was just too pretty to throw back. It's a fish with teeth. XD

sharkythesharkdogg
09-21-2013, 03:41 AM
The only creepy part was when you clean the fish. We'd sever the heads, but the little fins on the heads would continue to flap even though they were removed from the body.

We'd always bury the heads and the other fish bits in the ground. One time one of the fish heads managed to dig itself back out of the ground because of the little fins moving back and forth.

:Oo:

noxious.sunshine
09-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Omg wut.

that's insane as fuhh... Lolol

Jess
09-22-2013, 04:47 PM
I like cod.

I used to eat all sorts, but when I was young I had some dodgy cockles & mussels and I was very ill as a result. I won't eat any seafood/fish other than cod now.

I tried to start eating fish again on holiday a few years ago, but the fish that came out on the plate still had all it's bones, teeth and eyes. I can't eat something if it's looking at me. :(

Shorty
09-23-2013, 12:40 AM
I prefer pink fish and salmon is my favorite. I greatly dislike white fish. Tuna I will eat only in a sandwich. I've tried to make swordfish steaks before and it just tasted like a smurfing rancid tire in my mouth and was absolutely terrible. Would not recommend.

I'll eat most kinds of fish in sushi, though. Anything but cephalopods. :(

noxious.sunshine
09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Swordfish has to be cooked right in order to be good. I had it as a big steak for the first time down in Florida one Summer - it'd been freshly caught, cleaned, and grilled.... It turned out nice.

But for my first mother's day, my sister took me to this place downtown and they had a little filet of swordfish with quail egg.... I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was really good. I imagine polenta was involved. Idk. I was more interested in the white sangria and other alcoholic beverages. Haha.

Shorty
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't know if anything at all about swordfish would ever make me like it. It's the actual taste of the meat that I can't stand.

Denmark
09-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Never really been a big fish kind of guy. Don't like the texture much. My favourite is the fish they give me when I ask for fish'n'chips so yeah :|

This man has the correct idea about fish.

edit: imho

Jinx
09-23-2013, 09:07 PM
I love fish. I love shellfish and white fish. Not a big fan of salmon unless it's in sushi. I love fish best when it's grilled, but I also like it fried.

Mirage
09-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I could eat a fucking salmon raw and alive right out of the water or whatever it lived in. That's how much I love salmon.

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 07:53 AM
British style, yo. Fry me some haddock or cod and then we'll talk.

I also like a delicate piece of salmon though!

Loony BoB
09-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Salmon, in pretty much all forms. Mackerel, it's so strong but so good. I'm not huge on sashimi but I do like Boston rolls which have tuna, so there's that. Tuna is okay in sandwiches and stuff as well, I guess. Pan-fried sea bass, nom nom nom. Trout and cod are okay. Any standard fried fish like haddock and so on from fish'n'chip shops tend to be good.

Crab is amazing either on it's own or in a soup or risotto. Fried squid... yes, please! Monkfish is good too. I still want to try lobster someday, but I really want to try it first in some small fishing village because they always manage to get the best stuff. I had it in Menorca from a small fishing village and it was incredible. I had swordfish at Vittoria on the Walk and it was alright. Fishing villages are just good at this kind of thing.

Mussels, oh man, yes. Hold the sauce, they're good in their own flavouring... also, I miss NZ mussels which are about four times the size of the largest mussels I've seen in the UK (no, seriously, at least four times larger). Scallops are okay.

I don't like prawns. I love scampi. I'm running out of seafood to think about, so I'll end it there.

EDIT: Oh, and in NZ I'm pretty sure I liked Snapper and some other fish which has a Maori name. xD