PDA

View Full Version : Werk werk.

Freya
09-23-2013, 09:12 PM

I work a lot now. My hours make it hard for me to do much. I work in a call center. I answer phone calls all day. Sometimes people think i'm a robot because my phone voice is just THAT perfect. I am not the biggest fan. If you've worked in a call center than you'll know it's mentally taxing.

A lot of us are adults now with big boy and big girl jobs. What do you do?

Jinx
09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I work in elderly care these days. A lot of my responsibility is to assist with toileting, dressing, and hygiene. I also help do housework, prepare meals, and just over all keep company to my clients. I like it well enough, but I work really wonky hours. I will work 1-3 hour shifts, but have 3 or 4 shifts a day. It's kind of exhausting in its own unique way.

Shorty
09-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I am an administrative assistant, although I'm just sortof everyone's general assistant at the place I'm at now.

I miss being an assistant to a single person or team of people. It's much more rewarding to be an extension of someone's day planner than to be a general office bitch.

Denmark
09-23-2013, 09:32 PM
i write code for a company, and also occasionally provide technical support.

that's all the information you're getting out of me

Shauna
09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
I work for the gov't, managing the country's debt. :3

Essentially, call centre work, chasing up companies who don't pay their taxes.

Psychotic
09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I work for the gov't, managing the country's debt. :3
.I do the opposite of this. I work for a charity and manage the country's debt in an altogether different way.

Mirage
09-23-2013, 09:47 PM
My job is to ensure that as many as possible get liver diseases and diabetes. I work at a soft drink factory and beer brewery. It is a terribly boring job and there is no future in it because they are going to reduce the work force by a lot in 2015, but until then, it's pretty decent money. I'll stay until I find something better.

Aulayna
09-23-2013, 09:58 PM
I work in what's effectively a call center too, dealing with calls, webchats, tickets and e-mails from gamers and confused parents.

Shiny
09-23-2013, 10:17 PM
I work as an Assistant Editor for a company that does shows for HGTV. The biggest show they work on is House Hunters International. My actual job is a freelancer. I bounce around to different networks going on contract agreements based on the show's season end date. I could probably get staff here as it's a smaller company, but I'm already on hold at MTV2 for November, so I'll most likely be going back to MTV Networks in the Fall.

Another one of my jobs is a Freelance Video Editor. I work on music videos and I also produce independent films. AND I am a Sound Designer, but I've only gotten paid for it once so I don't consider that my profession. I mostly do that as a favor for friends. I dabble in pretty much anything creative and related to video or new media. I even got paid for web design at one point.

Shorty
09-23-2013, 10:19 PM
My mom loves the trout out of House Hunters International. She spent like five hours watching it online yesterday.

Shiny has the job I want ;-;

Mirage
09-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Man Shiny you seem to have a pretty fancy skill-set. Kind of jelly

Shiny
09-23-2013, 10:32 PM
I get bored easily, so I like to have multiple skills. If I get bored with one place, or job I can go on to another. My brother has the same problem with getting bored with jobs. He's been through more than fifteen jobs and he's only twenty-seven.

Mirage
09-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Having multiple skills is one thing. Being good enough to work professionally with all those multiple skills is a lot more impressive :p. At least in the line of work you seem to be in.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm a United States Marin, trained to be a helicopter mechanic. So, I'm a helicopter mechanic. I fix helicopters. Except that I don't anymore. Now I am in North Carolina, soon to be an instructor educating the next generation of helicopter mechanics within the USMC.

Jessweeee♪
09-24-2013, 12:26 AM
I'm a pharmacy technician at a big box retailer. Got the job because I handled myself well with difficult customers at the return desk. I really miss the return desk because I had so many more funny stories of customers throwing tantrums or having weird returns. Now I still get tantrums but I feel like a bad person laughing about it after because they're seriously ill. I get paid a lot more though. That's pretty nice.

My favorite part is I used to occasionally have customers point at me while I'm dealing with a difficult customer and say to their kids "go to college or you'll end up like her." Now customers ask me what I majored in during college to get my job and I'm like "I'm a computer science drop out. School is for suckers." Actually it's just not that hard to become a tech at a retail pharmacy. You don't need prior education or training, you just have someone willing to hire you, then you get to pee in a cup and do finger prints and you learn on the job.

CimminyCricket
09-24-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm a Sergeant in the USMC Reserve, a full time student and I work at a local PC repair company. I like all of my jobs, but I have very little free time.

Shlup
09-24-2013, 12:44 AM
BJ and I are determined to not have careers. My maternity leave will end in January or February, at which time I'll return to a lower management position in retail at Disneyland. In the meantime I have an Etsy store and BJ and I are designing some phone apps. We also play the stock market. Because careers are lame.

fire_of_avalon
09-24-2013, 01:06 AM
I work on the administrative tasks in a family doctors' office. I schedule patients, take money, follow-up with people in the hospital, provide references and referrals to other services, write letters to patients, check insurance and make people laugh. It's a fun job.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-24-2013, 01:35 AM
I work on vehicles. I do an even amount of general maintenance and repair, and performance enhancements. Obviously I prefer the jobs where I make things go faster.

My most recent fun job was helping a Hyundai Genesis R-Spec with some issues.

Freya
09-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Look at all you with your fancy jobs. I wish mine was fancy, I just have people telling me how cops in California are Satan worshippers

Flaming Ice
09-24-2013, 03:22 AM
I cook. Sometimes I'll have 12+ hour days but recently I've been getting 5 hour days :( (about 30 hrs in a week)

And my schedule isn't always the same and the boss puts it up at sunday night so there's not much of a chance in actually planning anything for the next week.....

And the place where I work can get pretty busy too, they have two dishwashers on sun/sat and they also do banquets.

I Took the Red Pill
09-24-2013, 03:32 AM
I teach Pre-Calculus and AP Calculus BC in a Chinese high school. The kids all want to go to college in the US so their English is really very good and they have a good mind for math (in b4 racist jokes). It's pretty great right now.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-24-2013, 01:15 PM
You're going to tell me you're teaching Calculus to 7th graders and I'm going to cry because my dumbass still struggles with that stuff. :cry:

Rostum
09-24-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm am now officially an associate at a private equity firm.

escobert
09-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I make hand made 100% all natural bar shampoo. It's made from an old New England recipe that we've tweaked a little. I mix, pour, cut and wrap it. J.R. LIGGETT: Old-Fashioned Natural Bar Shampoo and Body Care Products (http://www.jrliggett.com)

noxious.sunshine
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I -used- to be an Educational Assistant (fancy-shmancy word for Teacher's Aid) in the ESL department at an Elementary School. I got the job because of my older sister who'd been at the school for like 12 yrs already - she started off teaching 1st grade, then fell in love with her ESL kids and switched over. It was a fun job. I was pretty much a teacher, just without the college degree. I made my own lesson plans for my individual groups and got to teach them pretty much whatever I wanted during regular teaching hours. And then for the "lower" kids / those who had problems getting homework done at night 'cuz Mom & Dad barely spoke English or couldn't be bothered to try helping them, I'd have a homework help group in the afternoons before classes got out so that they'd have it the next day for their teachers.

And now, for the last 6 years or so, I've been a server. Sure walking out with cash at the end of the night is tops as opposed to living paycheck to paycheck, but it makes it waaaay harder to save & budget money. It started off as just a 2nd job, but after I lost my school job, it became a full-time thing. I'm good at what I do.. Actually, I'm really good at it. I've just gotten burned out doing it and I absolutely -loathe- the job now.

Since I've moved back to TN from TX, my TN liquor license has expired (it's required to have one if you work in a restaurant that serves alcohol), and it's pretty expensive to get - a mandatory 6 hr class and a total of around $70 not including gas to get to the TABC office in downtown Nashville. I have no desire to get back into the job field, even with living in Clarksville. Because of Ft. Campbell Army base, it's not an economically dead area like where I used to live is... I could probably make bank, but I just... No. I'm done. For every 1 or 2 great table/group of guests, there's about 50 horrible ones.

Anywho. I'm not working right now, but I'm looking for a job... Fingers crossed that I land an interview at the liquor store down the street. It seems like a really laid back place - there's not much of a dress code, the few girls that work there are really sweet, yadda yadda yadda.

Kalen
09-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Spent a few months getting an EMT license and then decided that being on an ambulance would probably stress me out too much. I work as an ER tech though, so I get to see lots of interesting things. Don't stick heroine in your penis if you want to keep it! <3

NorthernChaosGod
09-25-2013, 05:47 AM
I work for a sports photography company on weekends and as a biology TA for elementary school during the week. I enjoy both very much, the hours are just terrible because I always have to wake up early. :(

Jiro
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
I uh I guess I'm a freelance journalist now that I'm getting paid gigs

Pike
09-25-2013, 05:32 PM
I make the bulk of my money doing logistics (aka moving things from point A to point B) and a smaller portion of my money writing books. I would like to flip those ratios at some point in the future.

I actually enjoy my logistics job for the most part.

A few years back I made probably close to $1000 doing art commissions and that was a neat experience although it's much more stressful than it might look on the outset. Also my art skills are pretty miniscule and I've no idea why people wanted to pay me for doing it but hey, I wasn't about to complain at peoples' poor taste :shobon:

Miriel
09-25-2013, 05:46 PM
I work as a photographer.

Here is the stuff I love about my job: the act of creating, the thrill of making beautiful things, making people so happy that they cry, being a part of people's biggest life moments, being my own boss, fun creative people as colleagues, working at home in my pajamas.

Here is the stuff that I hate: So many damn emails. Crazy clients. Customer service stuff in general. Taxes. Editing for hours and hours and hours by myself with only the occasional work date with another photographer to keep me company, standing on my feet for 10 hours straight and carrying 15 pounds of gear on my shoulders, not fulfilling my own creative goals and falling into a pit of misery and despair because I'm not as good as I want to be.

Shaibana
09-26-2013, 10:26 PM
i work at a pigfarm.

since august i work 3 days instead of 5 since the farmer is taking a step back in the 'ladder' .. instead of breeding pigs who will later breed more pigs he is now going to make pigs that will end up on your plate.
the food for the pigs is to expensive and the price for a pig to low, so he needs to save some money and 1 way to do that is to get rid of all the staff.
as unfortunat it is for me i do understand it

i like working 3 days, to compensate it i would in the future like to work 4 days.

i honestly think that people spend way to much time in work.
when i worked 5 days i felt like i had no free time at all

Shorty
09-26-2013, 10:28 PM
i work at a pigfarm.

http://i47.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/mhg853.png

:stare:

Shaibana
09-26-2013, 10:30 PM
i work at a pigfarm.

http://i47.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/mhg853.png

:stare:

tehehehe... you better watch yrself.. becaus i guess you know what i can do with a body and hungry pigs :P:radred:

Denmark
09-26-2013, 10:31 PM
i approve of your job in the chain that puts pork in my belly.

Shaibana
09-26-2013, 10:32 PM
i approve of your job in the chain that puts pork in my belly.
well said!

Slothy
09-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm a professional job searcher. The government pays me to look for a job for about half an hour every week.

Shaibana
09-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm a professional job searcher. The government pays me to look for a job for about half an hour every week.
i see what you did there.. i think

Captain Maxx Power
09-26-2013, 11:24 PM
I work as a combined technician, website admin and software developer at a college. I have quite a bit of downtime which I tend to spend wasting time on the internet. Needless to say, I'm a huge success at life.

Bunny
09-27-2013, 02:10 AM
I work in the distribution center for a very large and local cell phone case company. I used to work customer service for the same company but had to transfer because I couldn't handle talking to people for 8 hours a day.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2013, 03:53 AM
I currently work a register in a craft store. I used to work a register at a soft pretzel store in a mall. My coworkers and bosses at the new place really don't treat me very well, but the customers are generally all really nice to me and comment on how nice and pleasant I am. At the old job, I had really great coworkers generally, but the customers were all very angry at me for no real reason. Because I wouldn't give free pretzels and drinks to people, customers would say such things as "You are the reason for everything wrong in this world" or cuss me out.

Still working on finding my big boy job of becoming a teacher.

Araciel
09-29-2013, 04:20 AM
I am a middle level dude working for a major communications company - pretty much I deal with marketing junk and support other dudes by answering more technical questions about how our shit works vs the other guys...

Occasionally I still take phone calls from reps/managers who are doing calls to pissed off customers and tell them how to fix stuff.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-29-2013, 06:13 AM
I work on vehicles. I do an even amount of general maintenance and repair, and performance enhancements. Obviously I prefer the jobs where I make things go faster.

My most recent fun job was helping a Hyundai Genesis R-Spec with some issues.

Well, we got the car running "better than it's ever run before" according to the owner, which is always great to hear. Especially since it's heavily modified and lots of money went into it.

Less than a day later, the car's computer got wet, and appears to have fried something important. The computer is no longer able to communicate with one of the fuel injectors. Poor guy can't win. :eep:

Raistlin
09-30-2013, 01:06 AM
I am a criminal defense lawyer. I defend the rights of the accused against government persecution.*

*read: I spout bullshit for a living.

theundeadhero
09-30-2013, 02:59 AM
I get a paycheck from VA every month to go to college. I'm not even in any cool classes yet, just the basic stuff.
I also flirt with serving girls at Pizza Hut while occasionally making a pizza or washing some dishes or something for some extra beer money. It's fun.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm a cook, part-time now that I am back in school. :/

Shaibana
10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
i keep readin 'twerk twerk' in this threads title :|

o_O
10-11-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm a software development contractor. The work is usually pretty interesting and each job is always radically different, and ranges from the design process to the development and implementation phase.

My current project is building a web application for a company which allows translators to translate documents. Previous job was to develop a reporting system for another company. In the future I'll be designing an auction website for the translation industry.