PDA

View Full Version : ...would YOU?

Jinx
09-23-2013, 09:20 PM
I've been re-watching The 4400 lately, as it just popped up on Netflix (and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to watch a truly excellent sci-f/mystery/cop show.)

In the later seasons, a chemical/drug called promicin becomes available to the public. If someone takes promicin, they will develop a 4400 ability. The catch? There's a 50% chance your body will reject it and you will die a swift, bloody, and painful death.

My question is: how many of you would take the risk to potentially develop a god-like ability? Now, in this show and scenario, you have no say over what ability you would get, and it could be literally anything. You could have a great ability like healing, telekinesis, or the ability to create alternate dream worlds for yourself and others. Or you could have terrifying abilities that were a curse, like a plague that wipes out anyone around you or creating soundwaves that shattered the brains of those around you when you were upset.

Would it be a risk you'd be willing to take? What power would you hope for and how would you use it if you had one?

Shauna
09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Nope.

Faris
09-23-2013, 09:33 PM
No thank you.

Shorty
09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
If it was just for the hell of it, I wouldn't. If it became a necessity in order to survive a generation in which everyone else has these powers, I might.

Loony BoB
09-23-2013, 10:35 PM
I love the 4400! But no, no dice, I'm not going to play Russian Roulette.

Jess
09-23-2013, 10:37 PM
No.

Denmark
09-23-2013, 10:46 PM
I love the 4400! But no, no dice, I'm not going to play Russian Roulette.

technically, this is a greater chance of dying than Russian Roulette (50% vs 16.66666666666666% (1 bullet out of 6 chambers))

and yeah, I'm with Sarah on this one. if it becomes necessary to have these powers in order to survive/thrive/whatever, then yes, because that turns a 0% chance of survival into a 50% chance. but on a whim, probably not.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Yep. I would totally do it. And hope that I don't die.

Aulayna
09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I was always bought up with a bit of a grin and bear it mentality in regards to illness etc so I rarely use painkillers, cough medicine or anything of the sort and I'm sort of wary toward any sort of medication after doing a Minor in Psychology and learning what half those drugs actually do.

So, I'd probably past. Although depending on my state of mind at the time/how much it cost I may also try it, particularly if I was having a FML moment.

Skyblade
09-23-2013, 11:57 PM
It seems to me that a 50% chance of death is a bit ridiculous when it's combined with a random power. I mean, let's eliminate the chance of death. Picking a power and random is already a pretty nasty gamble with pretty much the same 50/50 odds (since there are just as many negative powers as positive ones, if you're pulling from a theoretically infinite list). So your odds of getting a power that doesn't make you miserable is already 50%.

Now, figuring out just how useful or powerful you might be is kind of hard, since there's no real guideline for that. But I'd say that, being generous, you're looking at another 50/50 shot to get a power powerful enough, or with a correct nature, to actually be useful or helpful to you.

So your chances are: 50% chance to die. 25% chance to have a horrible power. 12.5% chance to have a benign but useless power. 12.5% chance to gain a superpower.

Gamble if you want, but I don't like those odds.

Jinx
09-23-2013, 11:57 PM
I probably wouldn't do it in the first round of people, but as more and more people did it and developed abilities, I'd probably do it.

Hollycat
09-24-2013, 12:04 AM
In a heartbeat.
I'd hope for shapeshifting or Psychokinesis.

CimminyCricket
09-24-2013, 12:45 AM
I'd have to sleep on it for a few days, but I could see myself truly considering it.

fire_of_avalon
09-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Only if my survival depended on it or I was already dying of some other kind of disease.

Freya
09-24-2013, 01:46 AM
If it was just for the hell of it, I wouldn't. If it became a necessity in order to survive a generation in which everyone else has these powers, I might.
What shorty said

noxious.sunshine
09-24-2013, 04:41 AM
Screw it. I'd take that chance.

Life isn't Life if you don't take risks sometimes.

But in light of having a child, I probably wouldn't because I can't imagine leaving my daughter behind prematurely.

At the same time... I'd also like for her to remember me as someone who wasn't afraid. Who didn't toe the line just to stay "safe".

I'd hope for psychic abilities and something along the lines of Animorphs XD

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah, maybe I would. I like the idea of doing so, but then I don't know if I'd have the balls to swallow it when the drug is in my hand.

NorthernChaosGod
09-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Fuck yeah I'd take it. I'd be the first motherfucker to take it too. If I survived I'd use my power to the best of my ability and prevent the rest of you from even trying. :p

Jiro
09-25-2013, 10:54 AM
There's no guarantee my power would even be cool, fuck that

Hollycat
09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
smurf yeah I'd take it. I'd be the first mothersmurfer to take it too. If I survived I'd use my power to the best of my ability and prevent the rest of you from even trying. :p
Oops, you wanted a good power? ooohhh Sorry, we thought you wanted to be able to turn into an exploading goat.
That's our bad.