PDA

View Full Version : Nraaaagh! Must... do.... it!

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Are there any little things that you simply must do? Sort of like an OCD tendency?

Sometimes I have to check and double check if my front door or car doors are locked, especially if I am going out for the day. I'd love to know how my brain works on this. "Well, I know I locked it 2 seconds ago, but what if it somehow became unlocked in that time? Better lock it again just to be sure!"

I am also really bad with cracking my knuckles. I can do each finger in two different ways and then I have to wait a little while for them to "reset". Once I get the idea in my head to do so, I smurfing have to do each and every one. It feels so awful not to. Normally I just go ahead and do so, but it's a bit more difficult if I am driving or playing a game!

So that's my craziness documented (as if every post I make at this website isn't somehow a manifesto of lunacy) but what about yours? :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
09-24-2013, 08:02 AM
I have exactly the same thing with my fingers, and thanks Paul because I just had to right then after reading your post. :colbert:

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Just sharin' the love. :love:

I've had to do it twice since making this thread, once when I posted it and once when I saw your reply, so we're even! Second time my fingers hadn't really "reset" though and it hurt. :(

Quindiana Jones
09-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Oh God, it happened again! :mad2:

Shorty
09-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Stuff with symmetry, and it really drives me insane. If I brush by something and it hits my right leg, I have to go by it again so my left leg will hit it as well. :| Same thing for if I have an itch or something on one side of my body, like my arm, I will suddenly get or need to scratch an itch on the opposite side in the same place. If I'm sliding a drawer in and I don't feel it went evenly into the space on both sides, I'll reopen it and close it again until I feel like it does. Sometimes I do things with light switches being turned off and on a certain number of times, but my room now has a fading switch so that isn't a problem so much anymore!

Typing this out makes me feel cray. :(

Loony BoB
09-24-2013, 09:55 AM
When reading newspapers, I have to tear off the bumpy bits that are left on the sides from the printer they're printed from. I hate having bumps on my fingertips when I read the paper, it annoys me to no end. Beyond that, I'm not really sure... although many people seem to think I'm a lot more OCD than I actually am.

Also, in before CDO.

Faris
09-24-2013, 12:47 PM
I have exactly the same thing with my fingers, and thanks Paul because I just had to right then after reading your post. :colbert:
Yeah-huh same here :colbert:

I have to check everything two or three times. The stove, the taps, the lights, if the doors are locked... I think that's just me going a bit stir crazy though.

Sephex
09-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I have to murder people who cut me off in traffic.

Jinx
09-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Not really. But when it gets in my mind that something needs to be done (dishes, laundry, etc) I can't wait. It has to be done NOW. Or else I will keep visualizing it over and over in my head.

Slothy
09-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Stuff with symmetry, and it really drives me insane. If I brush by something and it hits my right leg, I have to go by it again so my left leg will hit it as well. :| Same thing for if I have an itch or something on one side of my body, like my arm, I will suddenly get or need to scratch an itch on the opposite side in the same place. If I'm sliding a drawer in and I don't feel it went evenly into the space on both sides, I'll reopen it and close it again until I feel like it does. Sometimes I do things with light switches being turned off and on a certain number of times, but my room now has a fading switch so that isn't a problem so much anymore!

If you are then we both are because we seem to have extremely similar OCD tendencies.

Freya
09-24-2013, 03:35 PM
I have to pop my back. I just twist and it goes crack crack crack. I have to do it at least a few times a day. IT's not so much OCD as more of I get uncomfortable. Most people have ot have someone like stand on them or hug them or something but mine just POP when i twist.

Shorty
09-24-2013, 03:36 PM
I wish I could pop my back on my own. It would save me so much discomfort.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-24-2013, 04:48 PM
When I stretch and pull my arms behind my back and can usually get a couple of my ribs to crack along my sternum.

If I'm holding someone's hand, my fingers have to interlace with theirs a certain way. If it doesn't, if feels really weird, and drives me crazy.

Ever since I left the parking brake down on my car, and it rolled down a hill, I double/triple/quadruple check to make sure my car's parking brake is up, and that I left it in gear. It can be several hours after I parked, and I can see my car from my window........I still go check. :mad:

Rantz
09-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Another slave to knuckle cracking here. Trying to do it less though as not everybody likes having to listen to that stuff.

I fidget with my hair too much. I keep imagining it to be dishevelled or sticking out in weird ways when it's usually not.

Skyblade
09-24-2013, 06:06 PM

If you are then we both are because we seem to have extremely similar OCD tendencies.

Yep, same here, the symmetry thing gets to me really easily.

On games, if I'm going through a codex or something similar, I always have to press the L and R buttons an equal amount of times (usually resulting in me reading the whole thing, then flipping back to the beginning instead of just closing it). Just because symmetry.

Psychotic
09-24-2013, 06:41 PM
I wish I could pop my back on my own. It would save me so much discomfort.Absofuckinglutely.

I thought of this thread and had to lock my car a second time. God damnit!

Jess
09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I was actually diagnosed with OCD last week! Weird.

I have to check everything twice or three times. Checking the door is locked and bolted, checking all the plugs are turned off at night, checking the hobs on the cooker (and the iron and hair straighteners) are cold and checking all the windows are closed. I do this routine every time I leave the house and before bed. Certain doors inside the house have to be closed, and the others have to be ajar.

When I park the car, even though I get it right first time, I have to come out of the parking space and back in again. I'll walk away from my car and then back again to check it's locked, the windows are closed and the handbrake is on.

I have to hoover every day, and I can't ignore washing up. If I walk into the kitchen, and there is washing up in the sink, I have to do it before I can do anything else.

Everything has to be in it's place. Oh, and every time I leave the house I have to brush my teeth and wash my hands, even if I've literally popped into the house for a few minutes to grab something.

My OCD tendencies started about 2 years ago, I think. But then in the last 6 months or so they've just spiralled out of control.

Uhh, I'm a total crazy bitch. :jess:

I think everybody has OCD tendencies, though.

Calliope
09-24-2013, 09:04 PM
If I think food is "old", I have to throw it away.

noxious.sunshine
09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm OCD about the kitchen being clean.

I can't cook something new until I've completely cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom - and that includes sweeping and mopping the floor.

And brushing my teeth... I -always- gargle/swish peroxide for like 3 minutes before I brush my teeth and then I brush for like 5 minutes. I have an extremely huge fear of losing them. I have nightmares about it every so often and I always think it's really happening. I can't stand the feeling of grime and gunk on my teeth.

Shaibana
09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
i have an ipod doc wich i manually have to put the light from off.
i know exactly what combination i have to push to get it back on again, but when i set my alarm on i have to check atleast 3 times before i am convinced that it is actually on

Drift
09-26-2013, 10:13 PM
i have to do the "pat-down" if i ever leave the house or my desk at work. pat my pockets for my keys, wallet, phone(s). others include cracking my neck and knuckles every hour on the hour

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-26-2013, 10:21 PM
I have to check the oven, stove, and electric kettle every time I leave the house. I open the kettle and check the water level, several times. The stove and oven knobs several (8 or 10 is a nice number, so is 12 or 20), turning them to make sure they are off. Then I have to lock the door and shake it a few times to see if it is lock. Sometimes I have to check the lock is working right by having it out and pushing on it and rubbing it against my hand to make sure it is firm. All this is worst when my roommate isn't home or no one is around. That is when people are there or around/leaving with me, I am far more "normal". :x

noxious.sunshine
09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I've found a new obsession with wiping the toilet seat down with bleach cleaner both before -&- after I use it...

I'm not even a germophobe like that!

Calliope
09-30-2013, 12:07 AM
If I buy a cup of coffee, the sipping hole in the plastic lid has to be positioned opposite to the seam in the cardboard cup, or else the world risks falling into chaos.

theundeadhero
09-30-2013, 03:01 AM
If I like a girl I have to mess up her hair.
This has amazingly never backfired on me and made them angry.

Loony BoB
09-30-2013, 11:54 AM

My OCD tendencies started about 2 years ago, I think. But then in the last 6 months or so they've just spiralled out of control.
That's weird, when you were over at our place we diagnosed you as OCD in seconds. ;) But then, you weren't as intense as your post described back then. You were just awesomely tidy. Best guest ever. Someday we will invite you over again and we will have a place that is large enough to accommodate our mess, and you will be more at ease. xD

Old Manus
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/20130930_121942_zpsd62cb3dd.jpg~original

Jess
09-30-2013, 10:49 PM

That's weird, when you were over at our place we diagnosed you as OCD in seconds. ;) But then, you weren't as intense as your post described back then. You were just awesomely tidy. Best guest ever. Someday we will invite you over again and we will have a place that is large enough to accommodate our mess, and you will be more at ease. xD

Was I really that bad back then? I can't remember doing that much tidying! :jess:

Slothy
10-01-2013, 12:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/20130930_121942_zpsd62cb3dd.jpg~original

Why? :stare:

Jinx
10-01-2013, 02:21 AM

Why? :stare:

The cup not being center isn't that big of a deal. The dirt and scratches on the coaster are much, much worse.

krissy
10-01-2013, 03:56 AM
boy it'd really suck if someone started posting pics like these in the thread hey

http://i.imgur.com/fvjC7bv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/quWTCFm.jpg

Shorty
10-01-2013, 03:58 AM
why are you doing this

krissy
10-01-2013, 04:03 AM
atm machine

http://i.imgur.com/IwtelfB.jpg

Shorty
10-01-2013, 04:12 AM
god in heaven why!

Slothy
10-01-2013, 04:32 AM
I will fucking ban you I swear to Buddha! :stare:

krissy
10-01-2013, 04:36 AM
ok serious ocd problems of mine under the spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/PAXgpU6.jpg

but uh
when i was a kid i used to rip at scabs like i couldn't leave them alone so they'd never heal. my hands were screwed up. i also had nervous tics with my neck and head, would tic to the side. i had to practice self control very hard to not do them anymore but sometimes i wonder if i dont while no one is watching. blinking... i only blink on specific surfaces. i can't step on cracks sometimes. i keep breathing to the beat of songs playing in my head which makes my oxygen intake irregular. i swish saliva in my mouth to imagined tunes as well. scratch my tongue on my teeth. i dunno dudes im kind of a special case.

Loony BoB
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Was I really that bad back then? I can't remember doing that much tidying! :jess:
Nah, it was just little things like ensuring that all the used beer cans were perfectly aligned on the top of the freezer. If one was slightly out you would spot it a mile away and immediately correct the travesty. :D