PDA

View Full Version : I'm actually breaking up.

Quindiana Jones
09-26-2013, 07:07 AM
The monotony of writing lesson plans. It's very boring. I know what I'm doing, but I still have to write this shit up to put outside my door in case parents want to read it (note: parents are Chinese. Can't read English. Also, they don't care and have never looked at lesson plans ever). So I sometimes go a little insane whilst writing them. Then this happens:

1. Take attendance and check homework; plans for the week – rewards for fluency, death for laziness.
2. Elicit and review chores. See what students know. Feign surprise at their vacancy.
3. Introduce new vocab; use 3B language.
4. Introduce “have to”. Ensure students understand it does not mean want to or any other such weak nonsense. It means have to. Absolutely must. HOORAH.
5. 10 minute break.
6. Repeatedly drill the necessity of such tasks that follow “I have to”. Hope for toilet breaks.
7. Have kids put language together and hope for the best. Daydream about holiday.
8. Expand into previous unit; “I would like to [see Mary Jane] but I have to [fight crime].” Etc. Have students create one for every superhero or something.
9. Dictation. Deutschland uber alles.
10. End of lesson; 10 minute quiz.

What do you do to break up the boring ass bits of work?

Psychotic
09-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Slap my iPod on, read football websites or EoFF, play pranks on coworkers. I'm the model employee :shobon:

Why on earth would they employ you in a school, anyway? It smacks of Savile.

noxious.sunshine
09-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Depends.. Since I've been stuck working in restaurants, sneaking mixed drinks in to go cups or coke bottles filled with jack & coke usually make my day more interesting..

That and playing Angry Birds or some equally overrated phone game. Or if I'z feeling super productive, get the 8 million silverware rolled that we'd have to roll and maybe do some side work. And then talk the manager into cutting people so I could either A.) Make more money or B.) Roll out early instead of wasting my time just to make an extra $5.

Quindiana Jones
09-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Why on earth would they employ you in a school, anyway? It smacks of Savile.

Sephex is good with photoshop, right?

noxious.sunshine
09-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Oh it's just Chinese kids. Not like they know any better. XD

Also... I would like to "see Mary Jane", too.

Shorty
09-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm on EoFF, tumblr, facebook and kindle all day. I wish I could listen to music, but I don't want to ask.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
I brainstorm for a story I'm working on during my down time at the registers. Then I spend my breaks writing. At my old job where I made soft pretzels at the mall, my coworkers and I would just joke around during down time. In the old days, we would also make weird, fun concoctions with the pretzel dough. A lot of failed experiments, but we all got pretty good at making pizzas out of the dough and our various dipping sauces.

When student teaching, I would just put on music while lesson planning and such while at work. When doing that stuff at home, I would usually throw on Netflix or something.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-26-2013, 05:25 PM
I go drive something we made fast. :monster:

Pike
09-26-2013, 05:27 PM
What do you do to break up the boring ass bits of work?

There is no such thing as downtime at my job. Even if I had access to a computer whilst working (I don't) I wouldn't have the time to touch it. That's right, I actually work at my job unlike the rest of you lazies.

Angry Birds or some equally overrated phone game.

You'd best take that back son; Angry Birds is amazing. Especially Angry Birds Space.

noxious.sunshine
09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Angry Birds Space I can dig in small doses cuz they like have special super hero powers and can bounce off of Space Candy or whatevs.. But. It's still physics-based. Something I'm not too fond of.

The Man
09-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I listen to music when I can. As this isn't very often and I don't really get any other concessions, I'm getting pretty sick of it, especially since I'm decidedly not a people person and my job forces me into contract with strangers every day. Hopefully I can move and find something better soon.

NorthernChaosGod
09-27-2013, 05:42 AM
I usually jump on my phone when its slow at work. I'll check social networks or play some games.