PDA

View Full Version : What's my age again... again!

Psychotic
09-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Four years ago, Xander made a thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/126349-whats-my-age-again.html) about whether or not people felt old. So, same question again? Do you feel older or do you still feel like a teenager?

I think I have a lot more experience in life, but I am still a jackass who likes the same stupid things I did when I was younger. My mentality and outlook are very much the same. I still arse about and do silly things and voices and whatnot. It does somehow baffle me that I own a house, a car, and have a great and decent job. I'm 26. When did that happen?

Physically I have noticed a couple of changes though. My hair's gone, as you will all have seen in the wedding photos, but I also used to be able to go like all day without being able to use the bathroom. Not that I did it often, but I did have an aversion to public bathrooms so if I was out all day I'd just hold it and it'd be cool. Can't do it anymore.

Now you make posts!

Del Murder
09-27-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't feel old (in fact, I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in), but I do feel more mature than when I first posted here or even since Miriel and I started dating. For me, it has all been good changes. I've become more compassionate, more understanding, and more confident. I'm sure in a few years I'll turn the corner and become some kind of cranky old man, but hey, may as well enjoy youth while it lasts!

Oh, I'm also one of those guys who gets more handsome with age. At least my wife thinks so. ;)

Shorty
09-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I still feel like the same sort of lost person wandering through life as I did when I was seventeen, but I look at as an adventure now instead of a fear of the unknown.

Pike
09-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I am 29 but I feel like I am about 19 because I live with my dad and spend my life playing video games.

No. Regrets. damn I love my life, I might be on a high right now though because omfg SteamBox

Del Murder
09-27-2013, 06:19 PM
I love that your 'high' is related to having a video game system and not getting engaged. :p

Pike
09-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I love that your 'high' is related to having a video game system and not getting engaged. :p

we could get engaged anytime we want but STEAM ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE PRICELESS

Jiro
09-27-2013, 06:23 PM
I wanted a poll. I needed a poll. I feel older I guess. Firmly feel outside of my toddling years at long last.

Flying Mullet
09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I still feel like I'm in my mid-20s.

blink-182 - What's My Age Again? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7l5ZeVVoCA)

noxious.sunshine
09-27-2013, 06:26 PM
I feel 50, 18, & 28 all at the same time.

Physically , I feel much older than I am. Mostly cuz of my chronic lower back pain, but I'm also getting fine lines around my eyes and I have a pretty major wrinkle between my eyebrows that I've had for -years-. Also, I'm always really really tired.

People often mistake me for being much younger than I am, bless their hearts. Last fall, in Texas, a couple of people mistook me for being 16. Usually people think I'm between 20 & 22.

And then I realize I'm 28. Which means I'll be 29 in January. Which means I'm almost 30. And Parker will be 6.

Screw this. I feel old.

But then I do the math and I'll only be 42/43 when Parker is 20 so that's not so bad.

Jinx
09-27-2013, 06:28 PM
I think in some ways I feel older. I've learned how to control my temper--even if I can't control feeling angry, I'm much better at keeping my mouth shut and dealing with it myself. I have much more patience with people than I used to as well, and my heart has really grown a lot.

That being said, my inner voice and the way I think about things is still the same, so most days I feel like a 16-year-old living a 22-year-old's life.

Psychotic
09-27-2013, 06:30 PM

blink-182 - What's My Age Again? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7l5ZeVVoCA)I looked forward to being 23 for so long so I could sing it correctly. It came and went too quickly, alas.

Loony BoB
09-27-2013, 06:34 PM
On paper, I'm 29.

In my head, I'm "Something Above Seventeen", which is pretty much the age I apply to everyone who is over 17. Seriously, I feel like I'm the same age as everyone I talk to be they 18 or 50.

Hollycat
09-27-2013, 06:36 PM

blink-182 - What's My Age Again? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7l5ZeVVoCA)I looked forward to being 23 for so long so I could sing it correctly. It came and went too quickly, alas.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. 23 is the best number.

I feel like my mind randomly switches between being about 15 and being 50.

Shorty
09-27-2013, 06:37 PM
23 was not a good year for me.

Hollycat
09-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Then you did it wrong.

Shorty
09-27-2013, 06:48 PM
I know. That's why it wasn't a good year for me.

Flying Mullet
09-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Then you did it wrong.
But nobody likes you when you're 23. :cry:

Calliope
09-27-2013, 07:07 PM
They only like you when you're seventeen, when you're twenty-one, you're no fun.

Miriel
09-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh, I'm also one of those guys who gets more handsome with age. At least my wife thinks so. ;)

YEAH YOU ARE, BABE! :flirt:

I have finally reached that point where I feel like an adult. That's been a pretty recent thing. Before this year, I still felt this jolt of surprise when I would find myself paying bills or running errands like grocery shopping or getting the oil in my car changed. Such grown up things! And it was novel and funny. Look at me, being responsible, how weird.

But i don't feel old at all. I just feel more settled. :)

Denmark
09-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Four years ago, I was still an undergrad and had recently turned 21, and was taking advantage of that fact.

Now buying booze isn't as exciting to me. And I live in a real apartment, with my girlfriend, and earn a salary.

I'm old but not terribly old. I don't own any property.

theundeadhero
09-27-2013, 07:14 PM
I relate more to the 20-year-olds I know than the 30-year-olds I grew up with. Mentally I would say I'm pretty young but I'm not make stupid mistakes young.

When people guess my age they always say 24. I guess I look physically young but I have less hair now too Psyduck :(

Sephex
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
31. Some days I feel old. Others make me feel I am glad that I am not in my 20s. It's harder to drink now, too.

Pike
09-27-2013, 07:19 PM
yeah, most people who guess my age guess about 23-24. I'm not complaining. :shobon:

Like tuh my interests always skewed younger. I was sort of born on the cusp of the gaming/internet generation and the non-gaming/internet generation, and we all know what side I fell into. Most of my good friends are at least a few years younger than I am, and any of my, say, cousins who are around my own age just seem incomprehensibly old to me.

I mean they have kids and houses and stuff. What the hell.

theundeadhero
09-27-2013, 07:26 PM
And they look at us like we're the weird ones!
They're the ones tied down with <i>responsibilities</i> and stuff. I'm just out enjoying life.

Pike
09-27-2013, 07:28 PM
They're the ones tied down with <i>responsibilities</i> and stuff. I'm just out enjoying life.

Oh man, seriously. I love my life. I make just enough to finance my Steam account :D

Madame Adequate
09-27-2013, 07:32 PM
I lounge around all day and play videogames, and I find stupid things hilarious to the point where an assessment of my age based on humor alone would suggest I'm about 12. On the other hand I feel physically worn down all the time and I guess I'm doing adult things like getting engaged and stuff? Most grown-up thing I ever did for sure. Then again we got more excited about what today's Steam announcement might be than about getting engaged so :monster: Who even knows?

Also I have a full head of hair and facial hair looks like the sort of thing teenagers grow to look old enough to buy booze, so I guess that helps me look young!

Miriel
09-27-2013, 07:38 PM

You sound like my brother. That's like his mantra, no responsibilities, just enjoying life. YOLO. :p

I think both Del Murder and I have young-ish interests. Our idea of fun is running through the streets of San Francisco playing laser tag (and kicking ass at it too), or playing games, riding bikes, eating ice cream, and going to Disneyland. But we still both have careers and the marriage and the two dogs to take care of, and house hunting and getting loan approvals and all sorts of adult-y things. It's interesting.

Del Murder
09-27-2013, 07:47 PM
I hate doing those 'adult' things, but I like the result of them (financial stability, a nice home to live in, and furry companions by your side).

Hollycat
09-27-2013, 07:50 PM
I do adult things to furry companions.
TMI Mr. Del.

Araciel
09-27-2013, 08:31 PM
31 year old boy here.

Freya
09-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Hey I can sing that song right now! I feel older than I am. I hate it. I went from super naive attention wanting teenager to BAM adult cause of all the problems i have. I mean I like being more mature but I hate the responsibility. I have car payments and stuff ughhhhh

Shiny
09-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Well I have arthritis and Sjogren's now so there's that.

Old Manus
09-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I can't play cricket in as swashbuckling a manner as I used to in my teens without feeling like I've been on a rack the day after, and my knees officially giving up the ghost at the unfairly-low age of 20 means that I'm relegated to merely watching football rather than playing it on a weekend, but other than that I'd say I'm physically still as fit as a fiddle.

I'm in the middle of buying an apartment for myself, and though trying to dodge around my office balancing phonecalls from work clients, mortgage lenders and solicitors doesn't phase me too much, when I get home in the evening and realise that I'd rather have a beer and go to bed at a reasonable hour rather than play videogames or get drunk until 3am, I start to think maybe I'm becoming an adult or something now.

Shauna
09-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I still feel like a child. People keep asking me whether Matt will be popping the question, but I do not feel old enough to even consider getting married. Then I realise that I am turning 23, and at this age my mother was getting married so. *_*

I have a job, I do adult things, but it's not enough. xD

Jess
09-27-2013, 10:48 PM
The main priority in my life right now is saving to buy a house. We're currently renting and have been for nearly 3 years, but now I want my own house, dammit. That makes me feel old.

noxious.sunshine
09-28-2013, 12:43 AM
I dunno bout'chu... But I'm feelin 22.

@Short: ages 20 - 23 sucked for me. I had my daughter, yeah, but going through taking care of her on my own and not knowing where her "dad" was.... It was depressing as fuhhhh. I wouldn't trade her for anything but yeah.

Rantz
09-28-2013, 01:12 AM
I've been 21 for about five years now.

Shlup
09-28-2013, 01:52 AM
I don't think I feel different from when I was 26. You would think I would, seeing as how I'm someone's mom now, but it feels like she's always been here--I just sleep in an awkward position and am more squishy. But I don't pee when I cough like they said I would, so that's a bonus.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Well, I don't feel like a teenager anymore, being 23 now. The Marine Corps made me grow up quickly. But only so much. I still feel pretty young. Especially at my new unit. Everyone I work with has been in longer than me, is older than me, and almost all of them have families and kids and houses. Listening to them talk about it all the time makes me feel super young compared to them. I am technically still married, but here I am living the bachelor life, just me and my dog and my xbox.
But then again, I feel adultish being that I live in a house by myself, take care of all my bills, mow my own lawn, and other adult things. I don't go out and drink at all. Except when I go to the sports bar on Sunday to watch NFL.

Nobody likes you when you're 23.

fire_of_avalon
09-28-2013, 03:49 AM
I turned 28 in July and the year and a half leading up to that started me actually realizing my age. Approaching 30. Little to show for it. This was also around the time my sister had her first baby, and I think big transitions like that really make you start to put things into perspective. I don't feel like I'm almost 30 because I'm not really accomplished in anything - but I definitely feel older than the idealistic 18 year-old, the love struck 21 year-old and the heart-broken 23 year-old. I feel more suspicious about the world, but I also feel stronger and smarter about many things. I feel more intuitive. I feel like I'm getting a grasp on how people work and I'm starting to wonder where I want my place to be among my social group.

That being said, I'm also very young in some of the things I like to do for fun. Like action movies. And tag. My sister's kids are good for that.

Flaming Ice
09-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Well people make me feel younger... keep getting asked about high school and I've been done college for just over 4 years now. Quite a few people keep thinking I'm 18 or so....(about 6 years older than that which I guess isn't much of a difference).

theundeadhero
09-28-2013, 07:39 AM
To be fair I do have to pay rent and bills and other stuff but it really doesn't even seem like an adult feeling. I don't feel any different at all.

Jessweeee♪
09-28-2013, 07:52 AM
I feel way like a kid now because my grandparents moved in with me and now I'm paying a lot less in bills and there are constantly snacks in the house just for me that I didn't even buy and also I changed jobs a couple of months ago and I'm the youngest there.

It's nice having more money but I feel like I got my grown up card taken away whenever I tell people I live with my grandparents because I'm thinking like "noooo it's not like I haven't moved out or anything they just followed me here and yeah I work at that place and I dropped out of college and all but I'm self-sufficient now I swear." It paints a picture of me I don't like because I feel like I have to prove myself or something :bounce:

Psychotic
09-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I realised I am the youngest employee at my office of 30 or so people. That makes me feel young!

Aulayna
09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Some days I have to remind myself that I'm 27, not 15...

Some days I remember that I'm 27 and not 15 and it makes me said.

My life is over already really. Well past it.

Pike
09-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I think the most grownup thing I do is balance a budget. Ever since getting YNAB a while back I go complete grognard over my budget. :shobon: Being able to access it on my phone is great 10/10

Raine
09-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I feel younger than I am, also because most people think I look like 16..When I compare myself to other 21-year-olds I often think "why am I not grown up like them?" But that's mostly for the looks. Inside, I feel..well..I can't really say. And I don't care. Because just the thought of getting older, of having already 1/4 (at least!) of my life past me..it makes me panic. Sometimes I feel like running out of time, though I can't even say what I want to achieve. I just want to live -more- . Guess that means I feel older than I am though.

Raistlin
09-30-2013, 01:11 AM
As someone who has been described as a cranky old man since I was about 15, yes, sometimes I feel old. :p

Other times, I still don't feel like a full "adult," and I'm still occasionally caught off guard by the number of acquaintances I have that are married and have kids.

Iceglow
09-30-2013, 02:03 AM
This thread reminds me of the discussion I had with my house mate Jenny the other week as I said to her, I don't know how to feel. I mean I'm 28... 10 years ago I doubt I would've pictured living this long. Let's be honest, I had it rough and was on the verge of a very stupid mistake at 18 years of age. However, I survived and I'm not just a survivor, I'm alive and there's a major difference between the two. I've got these stories to tell, some are crazy, others weird, a few are enough to make a grown man cry and some are plainly horrific. And yet I'm still the same idiot who sits there with Psy on XBL making 'Your mom!' jokes.

I guess I swing wildly between being this irresponsible teenage brat to this guy who frankly is wise beyond my years. My youthful exuberance and sheer stubborn refusal to both show or share my negative thoughts or feelings makes me appear more youthful than I am and probably a lot more 2 dimensional and immature than I am too. Though I suspect the rather visible salting of grey hair might show that I'm not THAT young any more. Thankfully contrary to the popular claims of a certain person who has less hair than Bobby Charlton :aimkiss: I've not lost mine yet, a skin head would make me look daft these days (as I found out when I shaved my mohawk off while ago).

Perhaps one of the bigger changes is that I've all but dropped off the scope when it comes to games it must be said. I'm more interested in getting a holiday than an Xbox One or PS4 any time in the next year or even the next 2 years. I don't particularly miss it either. I mean not as much as I used to. I still enjoy games, still enjoy playing them but I can go weeks, even months without so much as giving my 360 a second glance.

Going forwards my hopes, dreams and aspirations are changing too. I want more from life, I'm taking no prisoners... as a very target orientated person, I want my goals regardless of how hard I have to push for them.

Laddy
09-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Nineteen. Nineteen. I feel so much older, though.

Madonna
10-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I do not know where "young" ends and "old" begins, but I do know life is too short to leisurely enjoy everything I could list and then some, and that saddens me. ...Mostly because it involves me being more active than I would like.

Gzussaves
10-02-2013, 11:51 PM
i feel way older than i should.. I live like an old man but I am not all too old (I'm 27). I suppose being homeless and unemployed and working my way up to where i am now kind of did that to me though. Feel more experienced and humbled while still having a really nice steady cash flow. So yea i feel OLDER!!!!

Shiny
10-03-2013, 03:00 AM
I realised I am the youngest employee at my office of 30 or so people. That makes me feel young!

I also found out yesterday that I'm the youngest. I am even younger than people below my position which may be odd, I dunno it depends. Some people decide to fall in to what I do later in life so it may not be that weird to find people in their late 20s and early 30s just starting.