PDA

View Full Version : Steam Controller

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2013, 06:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nt8Wfou.jpg?1

This was just announced. Thoughts?

No matter your thoughts on the design (I think it looks rather awkward and uncomfortable, but of course I've never held one), it is cool that they are releasing a controller that is compatible with every single game on Steam, including games that aren't Controller compatible.

Edit: I guess this can also be a discussion on the other recent announcements from Valve such as the Steam OS.

Pike
09-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I want it.

Playing grand strategy from bed has never been so comfy.

Del Murder
09-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Where's the buttons?

Hollycat
09-27-2013, 06:45 PM
If it actually works well with every game, I'll pick one up. Otherwise I'm not gonna waste my money when a PS3 controller works just fine.

Pike
09-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I am also excited for the implications re: all these games on a Linux-based Steam OS because fffffffffff i can't WAIT to switch back to Linux full-time.

Psychotic
09-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Cool, I missed VHS tapes.

Bolivar
09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Having tried RTS and FPS with a trackpad, I'm highly skeptical this will be the optimal solution they're expecting for those games, "high-resolution" or no. If it actually does work like they say, I'll be incredibly impressed... but will still stick to mouse + keyboard. Also, online RTS/Moba doesn't really work on big tv's, when you need to see the entire visible field at once.

It's a controller for people who don't like controllers.

Sephex
09-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Those are some nifty speakers.

Jiro
09-27-2013, 07:31 PM
This doesn't look like a step forward for controllers, but I'm not going to write it off. You never know, it might have found the perfect layout. But I don't have an issue with the predominant layout of contemporary times, so it's gonna need to be something special to switch that up.

Slothy
09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Thing looks comfy as hell and I'm intrigued by the trackpad idea. I'll buy at least one just for the novelty of it all.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2013, 08:28 PM
I guess uncomfortable was a bad term to use. It looks pretty comfy in general, but I really don't like the layout of the buttons. I also HATE trackpads. But it could end up proving to be awesome. I'm interested in playing around with one if I ever get the chance. Here's another look at it to give you an idea of how it could work.

http://cdn2.store.steampowered.com/public/images/promo/livingroom/rljKewyz3M/controller_bindings.jpg?v=2

Slothy
10-11-2013, 09:12 PM
What's this? A video demo perhaps?

Steam Controller Demonstration - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eeAjkbNq4xI)

SirPrizes
10-11-2013, 09:30 PM
What's this? A video demo perhaps?

Steam Controller Demonstration - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eeAjkbNq4xI)

Interesting. It works a lot better than I initially thought, but I still can't see this being a good controller for anything other than FPS and RTS games. It seems like games not built with mouse movement in mind would work better with a standard controller.

Rantz
10-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I'd like to try one. Looks like it might be awkward to hold for big hands, but the controls look intuitive enough.

I doubt there's ever gonna be any input device that is optimal for all types of games. I wonder if we might see a rise in genre-optimised controllers as gaming grows evermore commonplace (until someone invents a shape-shifting controller).

SirPrizes
10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I'd like to try one. Looks like it might be awkward to hold for big hands, but the controls look intuitive enough.

I doubt there's ever gonna be any input device that is optimal for all types of games. I wonder if we might see a rise in genre-optimised controllers as gaming grows evermore commonplace (until someone invents a shape-shifting controller).

I'd love either of those things to happen. We already have optimized controllers for fighting games, so it would be cool to see them extend to other genres. I've also often wondered why no one has made a controller where you can unlock the top of it, twist it around, and lock it back in to switch the placement of the D-Pad and control stick as appropriate.

Bolivar
10-12-2013, 07:19 PM
The Counter-Strike demonstration was pretty damn impressive. I don't know if you guys picked up on that but he was only going for straight headshots, pretty quickly :freak: Not that it's something we don't do with analog sticks anyway, but he had no auto-aim so I'm not ready to count this thing out just yet.

Civilization was cool. Didn't seem to have any problem getting to the menu or the particular drop down item no sweat. But RTS is a completely different beast. Until we see them draggin units, building and upgrading a base, and doing this while reacting to another player, I'm still pretty skeptical on that front. But overall this very well could be the one controller solution to everything but.