PDA

View Full Version : Lunch breaks!

Psychotic
09-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Let's talk lunch breaks. What do you do? Where do you go? When do you have it?

I leave at 12:30 every day. With an hour lunch, this breaks the day into halves. Others at my office who go out later tell me I am wrong for this leaves a shorter afternoon so less time 'til hometime. You get a longer morning though, suckers!

I go home as my new home is literally a 4 minute drive (yeah I am a lazy fuck, 20 minute walk? NO THANK YOU!) from my office.

When I lived further away I'd either go to somewhere like Maccy D's or KFC, or if I brought my own lunch I used to park in the car park of a local hotel. (there is literally nowhere else to go! no parks or anything and it was obviously very quiet at that time of day) I'd put my iPod on, kick my shoes off and just relax in my car for a bit or read a book.

Now you! Reveal to me your doings!

Freya
09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
My lunch is from 2:30-3:30. I drive home. Its about 10 mins away but I really don't like staying at work when I don't have to. I usually go home and have soup, salad, or a sandwich. Its less time since 20 mins is driving but ugh I don't want to be here. Sometimes I go buy lunch if I'm too lazy to go home.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
What are lunch breaks? O-o;

Psychotic
09-30-2013, 06:00 PM
What are lunch breaks? O-o;Aren't you a chef?

Pike
09-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Lunch usually occurs somewhere between 9:30am and 10:00am. I usually just buy something and then sit around and either mess around on my phone or watch whatever movie is playing on the breakroom TV at the moment.

Shauna
09-30-2013, 06:06 PM
My lunch break happens between 4 and 5pm erry day. It's only supposed to be 30 minutes, but I can take extra time because I come in a half hour early, leaving me lots of doing nothing time. I usually get something from Sainsburys, but if I take the fancy, I'll go to Subway or something. I bring my sandwiches/noodle pots/whatever I decide to eat back to my desk and I browse EoFF or I read some book on my Kindle.

It is not a bad time.

noxious.sunshine
09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Sometimes breaks don't happen.

Pretty much every chain restaurant I've worked at, if we got super slammed and were already scheduled to work a double shift, we wouldn't get a break at all.

The 1st Mexican place I worked at, the owner -made- us take a break - 1 at a time - for 2 hrs (there were only like 7 of us total anyway). I'd either sleep in a booth in the back or go out to eat somewhere w my ex and drink sangria and stuff.

theundeadhero
09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't exactly have meal times. Food is when I remember to eat that day.
Today it was about 11:00am because when I was out I saw an Arbys and was like I'm gonna eat there.
Yesterday I didn't eat anything all day. I never stopped to think I should eat I guess.
The day before I had some hot dogs at about 10:30pm.

Denmark
09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
I go out and get food somewhere between 11:30 and 12:30. depending on when I get back/how sociable i'm feeling that day, I'll either eat alone or with my coworkers (the whole company is like 7 people). if I'm back too early, don't feel sociable, or have a bunch of work to get done, I'll just stay in my office during lunch, usually on eoff/facebook/twitter/etc. our company lunches can be fun but often last over an hour whereas I can slack off for 30-45 mins and still have more overall productive hours.

Jess
09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I work right next to the town centre, so usually I'll run into town to do any errands/shopping that needs doing, grab some lunch and then go back to my desk and browse the news websites for whatever is left of my lunch hour. Lunch is anytime between 12-2 but I prefer to go early because I'm usually really hungry by then.

Rantz
09-30-2013, 11:07 PM
12:00 is the standard time and an hour is the standard length, but it's all very flexible. The only "requirements" (nobody's really keeping track) are that the lunch break is at least a half hour and that we don't work longer than 5 hours without breaks.

It takes me about 20 minutes to bike home so while I can fit it in during lunch, it's not really worth it. Most often I bring lunch with me or get it from a nearby lunch place, in which case I usually eat either at the office, or if the weather allows down by a nearby pond.

So in short, I get a regular lunch break during which I eat lunch.

Sephex
09-30-2013, 11:10 PM
11:30 to noon. I usually eat a small meal and browse the internet at work until it's time to go to work again. *starts sobbing uncontrollably*

Jessweeee♪
10-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Haha, I prefer to take the later lunch too. I still feel like I've divided the day in half because the morning is always insanely busy in a pharmacy so the time goes faster. I usually pick up a thing of microwaveable soup before leaving the store and then go home for an hour because I'm a two minute drive away. Unless it's a weekend, then I only get a half hour and I just chill in the break room.

Shiny
10-01-2013, 01:00 AM
I eat lunch pretty much whenever I want. It will be before I start work or sometime after. My shift is from 1pm to 9pm.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Well, at my old unit it was eat when you can as quickly as you can. At my new unit lunch is between 1100-1300. Two hour lunch break. You know, to break up the monotony of hardly doing anything at all anyways.

I try and busy myself with going to the gym or something.

Shorty
10-01-2013, 01:58 AM
I usually take lunch around noon, but sometimes it runs later if I'm busy. If I take lunch later than 1:30pm or so, I get cranky because I need food in my belly.

I usually bring my own lunch and eat in our little dinette area with the door closed so no one bothers me, but I usually end up bothered anyway. If I go out and about, I will eat in my car parked around the corner in an abandoned shopping mall area to be alone. I am usually always on my phone/ipod and often times both.

fire_of_avalon
10-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Like most of you there are some days when I want to be left alone and, more importantly, off the property for a little while, so I'll go get some fast food and eat it in my car while listening to the radio or looking at my phone. Mostly, though, I try to bring my lunch and eat in our office breakroom. Usually one or two others come in and we make small talk. After about half an hour I'm done so I'll run errands or go for a short walk somewhere.

Today, though, like five people came in to each lunch the same time as me and it did bother me a little. Lunch time is my time to deal with fewer of you at once! Why are you following meeeee?

Mirage
10-01-2013, 02:37 AM
One hour long lunch breaks? Fucking snobs.

~*~Celes~*~
10-01-2013, 02:46 AM
I get a 30 minute lunch break. I'll either pack or buy something, eat, browse facebook, and get back to work after 30ish minutes. if someone I like to talk to is on lunch too, we'll chat :)

Night Fury
10-01-2013, 05:35 AM
I'm unemployed so my whole day is a lunch break and I do diddly squat.

noxious.sunshine
10-01-2013, 05:39 AM
I thought you finally found one!

Bierhumpen_Kukki
10-01-2013, 07:41 AM
I usually live off coffee and cigarettes while at work. Lunch hours are flexible if you even use them. If not its counted as working time so i get to work over hours without spending extra time at work!^.^

But if i do take my lunch break ill head over to jim block and get a burger.
The taste is great but the queues are insanely long. ><

kotora
10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
One thing I don't like about working as a teacher (aside from, y'know, being a teacher) is that lunch breaks are at set times. Anyone who's someone at their jobs gets to make their own lunch times. The breaks I had at Chinese primary schools last for like two or three hour and everyone goes to have a nap.

When I was working at the magazine I'd usually just eat while working and leave like half an hour earlier when I felt like it. Don't feel like I need a break when it's something I like doing.

Old Manus
10-01-2013, 10:19 AM
I leave at 12:30 every day. With an hour lunch, this breaks the day into halves. Others at my office who go out later tell me I am wrong for this leaves a shorter afternoon so less time 'til hometime. You get a longer morning though, suckers!
You are so wrong. You struggle through until 1:30pm whee you can't go any longer without eating, then stuff your face. When you start work again you have merely 2.5-3 hours before you can go home. I'm usually less productive in the afternoon anyway as that is when my lack of sleep catches up with me, and combined with post-meal lethargy, it's hard not to fall asleep at my desk.

Iceglow
10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
I get breaks usually every 2 hours. I have 2, 15 minute breaks a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I get 30 minutes for my lunch break. I guess what I do depends on what shift I'm on. Usually if I'm on a late shift (i.e. working 4pm to midnight) I may go grab a sandwich from Tescos or something similar for dinner. On short breaks I tend to either grab a cup of tea or just chill at my desk for quarter of an hour usually playing a game on my phone or something.

Araciel
10-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Don't really bother with one - I generally snack at my desk and just leave half an hour early.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
What are lunch breaks? O-o;Aren't you a chef?

Cook, but yeah I don't get lunch breaks. Not because I work in the evenings or anything, but because that's how most kitchens are. The only "breaks" we get is for the washroom or if you smoke. I am legally allowed to have food and eat it at my station but even if anyone ever does that, we don't stop working. :/

Calliope
10-01-2013, 05:56 PM
My breaks are brief enough to eat a snack, read a chapter of a book or take a walk. Recently I've been forgoing my breaks because there is too much work to be done - but I should stop that rather than try to do everything myself, I suppose.