PDA

View Full Version : Your Three Global Recommendations

Karifean
10-03-2013, 09:02 PM
If you have the opportunity to have everyone in the world experience three movies/books/albums/comics/games/TV series, and only three, which would it be? Which artistic works do you feel EVERYONE should experience for themselves at some point, which you feel is underappreciated by the general public? Something you think people would enjoy but never give a fair shot? But remember... you can only choose three.

The end result is that everyone in the world gives it a fair shot all the way to the end, goes in with an unbiased outlook and forms their own personal opinion of it afterwards. So are there these particular works of art that you feel would enrich the lives of many people that for one reason or another don't get to experience them?

Very tough decision for me, and probably subject to change as I'm just now starting to really get into exploring different series, etc. And I never really got into reading, so I've yet to find a book like that.

In no particular order.

#1: Elfen Lied (Anime)
While many don't think highly of this anime, there are people, like me, who adore it. It is the one anime that changed my look on anime series forever and made me interested in finding another to surpass it. If there are just a handful of people who don't know about it yet can come to think of it as highly as I do, I would globally recommend it in a heartbeat.

#2: Final Fantasy X (Game)
I think it would be cheap to just write the entire series, although it would be true, so I just picked one. Just like Elfen Lied, it's a mixed bag. Some people hate it, some people adore it, like myself. I played it at a young age and it was one of two games, along with Final Fantasy VII, that proved to me that games can be for so much more than mere playing. It's not that Final Fantasy X is particularly unknown, but I believe there to be many, many people who would love it if they ever gave it a chance. And if it possibly affects them the same way it did me, there's no reason for me to even consider otherwise.

Don't know a #3 yet. I have a few possible contenders, but give me some time to decide.

Shorty
10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
This is a little confusing because when I think about what recommendations I would make to other people, I am not thinking about how well-received it they are.

1. I would and do recommend Ender's Game to everyone to read.

2. Death Cab for Cutie. I think they are one of those bands with many songs that which everyone can relate to in different ways. Many of their songs of their have cleverly written lyrics or metaphors, which I think is something everyone can appreciate.

3. Choosing a third is difficult. I think I would probably recommend everyone to watch On the Waterfront. It tells such a brilliant story of inner conflict, sacrifice, persuasion and conscience, and battling what is wrong and what is right in the face of a terrifying and brutal force. It is a mirrored reflection of what the director went through in real life, and for him to tell such a personal story through film to resound so loudly in historic cinema is simply incredible. Additionally, I think it could be argued that the speech the priest makes down on the docks is one of the greatest ever written.

Slothy
10-03-2013, 09:35 PM
1. I would and do recommend Ender's Game to everyone to read.

I really need to get around to reading that.

My picks:
1) Farscape. It might be the zaniest, most off the wall sci-fi TV series I've ever seen. They literally threw everything at the wall to see what stuck and most of it did. And it also had some great characters who underwent some great development at a time when sc-fi shows still weren't really doing a lot of that. It's definitely one of my favourite shows of all time, and it is just plain fun. And even when it's not fun, it's usually heart wrenchingly good.

2) Tool. Probably my favourite band. Specifically I'd say their album Lateralus because I think it would not only have the widest appeal, but is also possibly their best album (I always waffle between this and 10,000 days). The majority of the album is uplifting, inspiring, challenging, and not to sound too silly or cheesy, listening to it straight through is the closest I've come from a work of art to understanding what people mean when they talk about having a spiritual experience.

3) Fuck 3 is hard. This is the point where you've thrown out two choices and then realize that you only have one left and you don't want to screw up. I think I'll go with Dune because it's easily my favourite novel and is required reading if you like science fiction. I reserve the right to change number 3 to something else though.

noxious.sunshine
10-04-2013, 05:01 AM
1.) Dragonriders of Pern. Specifically Dragonflight and Dragonsdawn. Dragonsflight was the first published Pern novel while Dragonsdawn is chronologically the beginning of the entire story of Pern. The series spans well over 20 books with a time frame of about a millenia, if not more. I haven't read every single one yet, but they're so so amazing.

2.) A movie... Hum. Probably the animated Alice in Wonderland or Pocahontas. I love them both.

3.) Ace of Bäse. I was gonna say like Backstreet Boys or Bjork , but Ace of Bäse is a legit good group.... Or used to be. Whatever. Lol

Loony BoB
10-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Oh, geez, this is nigh on impossible given the range of things I can pick from. :( These are three, but I like too many things for them to be my "all time" three.

1. The Raven book series by James Barclay - it's like Final Fantasy in book form. It's awesome, entertaining, engrossing and has a healthy mix of deep/intense and funny/witty moments.
2. Suits, the TV series, so I can go on about it with a few more people than I already do.
3. Intouchables, the French film, because it's extremely rare I can find a movie that I could watch about four times in one year, let alone one week. I can only think of about three or four movies I've ever been able to do that with, and this is the one that I feel would be most universally enjoyed.

4. The Emperor's New Groove & Final Fantasy VII - my favourite movie and my favourite game, I only name them in this 'also worth mentioning' spot because most people have already seen/played them so I don't need to force anyone. :p

noxious.sunshine
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
YOU CHEATED AND PUT LIKE 5 THINGS!

You can't do that!

lol

Pike
10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
1. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - because holy shit.

2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - needs to be played while doing a serious study of lore or else it won't be properly appreciated. Spend your mornings on UESP/TIL and your evenings playing this and it's a trip like none other.

3. Deus Ex - dat atmosphere.

Loony BoB
10-04-2013, 10:34 AM
YOU CHEATED AND PUT LIKE 5 THINGS!

You can't do that!

lol
I did leave a gap and say that they were in the "also worth mentioning" spot. It's unofficial. :shifty:

Karifean
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Final Fantasy VII - my favourite game

Dude, spoilers!

Intouchables really was a great movie, along with Gran Torino and Invictus one of the best I've ever seen.

I'm thinking of putting Steins;Gate as my #3, but it kinda hits the same tones as Elfen Lied. You're right, the third is really hard -_-

Jinx
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
1. Album: Tori Amos, From the Choirgirl Hotel. I first heard this album when I was six years old, and literally changed my life. I started me on a 16 year love affair with Tori Amos. Her music in general means so much to me, but this album has so many songs that just move me and have seen me through hard times in life.
2. Movie(s): The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. They're brilliant. Seriously. (And no I don't care if it's technically 3 movies, I'm counting it as one.)
3. Book(s): Harry Potter series. While they're not my favorite books of all time, and aren't the best written, they are still so so so wonderful. This series was the series that got me interested in reading. So many years of my life and emotions went into this series. Entire friendships started just on this common ground. I want everyone to have that experience.

Madame Adequate
10-04-2013, 03:08 PM
1. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - because holy shit.

2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - needs to be played while doing a serious study of lore or else it won't be properly appreciated. Spend your mornings on UESP/TIL and your evenings playing this and it's a trip like none other.

3. Deus Ex - dat atmosphere.

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2013, 03:20 PM
1. Dresden Files.

2. Dreden Trilogy to occur after the conclusion of the 25 book introductory series. :D

3. I can't decide which anime to put here. :(

Pike
10-04-2013, 03:41 PM
You know the most difficult part of this question for me was choosing between Deus Ex and X-Com: UFO Defense, but ultimately I had to go with the former. I'd slot X-Com in as a runner-up.

Bolivar
10-04-2013, 04:39 PM
I'd recommend they read Hyperion by Dan Abrams, watch Solaris by Tarkovsky, and play Sword of Vermilion by Yu Suzuki.

Spuuky
10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
1. Gothic 2 (especially for people who care about "atmosphere" - hi people who have already said Deus Ex, it's a totally different atmosphere but it's worth the barrier of entry). It does have a high barrier of entry (some kind of bad controls, a few bugs, some dated graphics, ideally having played through Gothic 1) but that's why I'd put it on a list to force people to experience. Once you commit, it's incredible.

2. Oh who cares I already listed the important one.

I was going to list some literature but I really don't think most of it is stuff that anyone can appreciate since it requires some level of competence and reading comprehension.

Also, I don't think listing stuff like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Final Fantasy 7 and X, or any other massively appreciated media is a very good choice. People have already seen/read/etc them, and they certainly aren't under-appreciated. People typically already give them "a fair shot."

We generally don't go around calling the entire forum incompetent ~ Vivi22

Jinx
10-04-2013, 05:41 PM
So? It's my list. Why do you care what I put on mine? I listed things that have meaning to me.

Hollycat
10-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Number 1: Everyone has to Play Persona 4. Not only is it one of the best games and stories ever, with emotional ups and downs, but it has a message within it. The game tells you that if you truly want to experience the best the world has to offer, don't just sit in front of your tv, get out there and develop relationships, those who live in a world of escapism are doomed to never be happy. In the end, they are just Shadows of human potential.

2. I don't have a 2, go play Persona 4.

3. Everyone should watch Monk because that show is excellent.

Spuuky
10-04-2013, 06:10 PM
So? It's my list. Why do you care what I put on mine? I listed things that have meaning to me.I don't really care? But you weren't answering the question actually posed by the thread, so I pointed that out.

I Took the Red Pill
10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
1. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

2. The Waves by Virginia Woolf

3. The Shield, starring Michael Chiklis

I was going to list some literature but I really don't think most of it is stuff that anyone can appreciate since it requires some level of competence and reading comprehension.hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahdksahhhahaha

hahahahahahahah

dude you're so far up your own ass that you're snacking on chyme. Come on out, the sun can be pretty nice sometimes.

Not okay at all. ~Shorty

Rantz
10-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Hm.

Joanna Newsom. Most people are put off by her voice at first, but I don't know many people who have given her a shot - really given it a good shot - and haven't fallen for her to some extent.

Sophie's World. I read it as a child and it was one of the first book that made me really realise how awesome reading was and how it could make you think in new ways. It's full of philosophy expressed in ways simple enough for a child to understand but still complex enough for adults to enjoy and ponder over.

Ahhh I dunno what to put for a third. Saving this space for if something occurs to me later.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-04-2013, 06:43 PM
1. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime/manga) - My all-time favourite series. Seriously. The dubs are good for nostalgia sake, but the subs and manga are just awesome (if you haven't seen Sailor Stars, then your life is incomplete). Codename: Sailor V if you want to know how it started as well as get more background (and cameos of other characters) on Minako. Seriously. GO AND DO IT.

(Many people dismiss Sailor Moon because of their experience with the dubs, target audience, or because of the titular character, but it really is quite the show and was revolutionary at the time).

2. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley - You like Arthurian legends? How about female POVs? Something mostly from the POV as a typical villain (Morgainne, Morgan La Fey, acts as the main POV but we also get the views of other characters too)? There is also subtext of paganism v.s. Christianity, religious plurality, roles of women, etc...It is an excellent read, well written, and has some very powerful moments. Most definitely a fantasy classic.

3. TBD...

Miriel
10-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeeeah, I'm actually gonna agree with Spuuky (gasp!) here. The question was more about which things you would recommend that the world hasn't given a fair shot or is generally under appreciated/overlooked, not simply the things you love a lot and you want other people to love too.

Movie: The Hours - I figure most people skipped over this movie because from the outside, it looks boring as hell. I mean, I bet for a lot of people, even after watching it they might think it was boring as hell. But I loved this movie. There was such an incredible quiet beauty to it. I felt like every scene had a stillness and a magnetism to it. The acting was superb. And it was just hauntingly sad at times. It was up for a bunch of Academy Awards but the public as a whole ignored it I think.

Book: Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker - So unless you're a foodie, this book is not going to be on your radar. You would go your entire life without ever hearing about this book. And even if you ARE a foodie, you probably still might have never heard about this one. It's like the less popular cousin of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. But it is one of my very favorites. I don't think it was meant to be a comedy exactly, but there are few books where I have laughed so hysterically hard as Heat. It was hilarious, informative, passionate. I loved every bits of it. I kept reading aloud whole passages to Del Murder and dissolving into fits of giggles and telling him to wait, listen, omg it's so funny. Even if you're not a foodie, give this a shot! It's a great read.

TV Show: Alias season 1-2. Oh Alias, I talk about you all the time, but no one ever pays attention to you. It struggled season after season to find an audience, the threat of cancelation always looming. And I don't know why. It was SUCH a good show! The first two seasons anyway. People always talk about the pilot to Lost being all amazing and stuff, and it was, but the pilot episode of Alias is right up there with Lost as being one of the very best I've ever seen on television. Here's a show with a ton of heart, great action, and a female lead that I think is one of the best that's ever existed. I'd place Sydney Bristow above both Buffy and Xena. I adore her.

Jinx
10-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Updated my list.

1. Album: Tori Amos, From the Choirgirl Hotel. I first heard this album when I was six years old, and literally changed my life. I started me on a 16 year love affair with Tori Amos. Her music in general means so much to me, but this album has so many songs that just move me and have seen me through hard times in life.
2. TV Show: The 4400. Not many people I know have watched this show, and it's excellent. The writing was great, and it's a real shame it was cancelled.
3. Book: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. The more I read of this book, the more excited I got and it just clicked.

Shiny
10-11-2013, 08:32 AM
I won't be as arrogant to assume that people cannot appreciate the things I can recommend as I know many of you are capable of having good taste and reason, and that if you don't like something I recommend, it's probably for a good enough reason that you thought of after you gave it a shot. For those who are close-minded or arrogant, these recommendations aren't for you.

Movies: The Graduate - I don't think many people of this generation have actually watched this film all the way through. I could be wrong. It's a lot more than just a film about an affair with an older woman. That's not even the main premise of this film. It's only the hook that dragged people to see it. It's really about desperation in youth and in middle age among other things.

Books: These Children that Run at You With Knives - I know I have mentioned this before some where else on this forum, but I really thought it was funny and it's hard for books to make me laugh. It's technically a collective of short stories with dark humor just the way I like it. Not as thought-provoking as other books I could have mentioned, but that's not the point. I am recommending something that I enjoyed and hopefully a few others will too.

Music: Hoodie Allen - I don't normally like modern rap, or white rappers, but this guy has piqued my interest with his songs like, "Ain't Gotta Work Today", "No Faith in Brooklyn", " "You are Not a Robot" and "White Girl Problems".

Karifean
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I've been thinking about this some more and now I know my number 3.

#3: Clannad (Anime/Visual Novel)

What can you say about Clannad? Does anything need to be said besides that it's infamous for being the most tear-inducing anime of all time? Clannad is what you'd call a "Slice of Life" romantic drama. You basically follow the path of Okazaki Tomoya during his final year of high school. In the Visual Novel, you make a lot of choices that eventually lead to very different outcomes - you meet different people, you interact with them differently, you get different results. The anime adaptation instead goes through nearly every path one by one, making romantic stories into friendship stories if need be. Both of them work quite well although I personally prefer the Visual Novel.

Now what makes Clannad so special? For one, it has a great soundtrack. It always sets the mood by itself and the series/VN makes wonderful use of it. The second and most important reason is the cast. From the childish Fuko to the violent Kyou, Clannad's assembly of characters is thoroughly likeable and they all have very distinct personalities, particularly in the Visual Novel. The female cast greatly outnumbers the male cast, but that's fine. There's just a great time to be spent with these characters and the synergy between them is amazing.

I don't think anyone can deny that the best part of Clannad, by far, is After Story. It's essentially Season 2 as it picks up right after Season 1 ended. It continues the story of one particular path in the Visual Novel and the anime did a good job of making it feel like a part of Clannad rather than a spinoff.

Why would I recommend this to everyone? Well besides the obvious "you will enjoy it", the Visual Novel taught me that you constantly make choices during your everyday life, and every single one of them can have quite an impact. If you let them shape and affect your path, you may end up somewhere you normally had never gone to. Clannad also still has the saddest plotline I've experienced to date and worth going through just for the emotional sensation.

Seriously, if you like anime, go watch it. Or play it. Or both. And if you don't like anime? Doesn't matter, do it anyway.

Jessweeee♪
11-07-2013, 03:50 AM
Clerks
Tool
Katamari Damacy