PDA

View Full Version : Sports Positions!

Laddy
10-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Do you ever play sports? If so, what positions are you?

In soccer/football, I was a goalkeeper, though I could play Forward competently.

In American Football, I was a meh quarterback but an above-average receiver.

In basketball, I was a guard.

In baseball, I was second base and sometimes pitcher.

I play more sports than you'd think. Any pitching and receiving jokes are expected and thus deemed unnecessary.

Shorty
10-06-2013, 03:09 AM
I played softball and was catcher most of the time, because that is the only thing I am good at.

I don't know what the hell the term is for volleyball, but I was most often chosen to serve because I'm pretty damn good at it. I guess the term is probably just "server".

NorthernChaosGod
10-06-2013, 03:15 AM
In lacrosse I was a midfielder. I did all the running. :(

Jiro
10-06-2013, 03:59 AM
At some point I played every position on a football pitch, but I was most useful in the centre of midfield or as sweeper. I would've been more useful had I practised shooting, but it was less important than making the plays or tackling the other team.

In touch footy I played wing or centre, depending on the quality of the rest of the team. If they were good, I played outside to make use of my speed, if they weren't, I had to do the heavy lifting in the centre.

I played pitcher for my primary school softball team, though I also played shortstop a few games.

I don't really understand most of the other team sports I've played in my time.

qwertysaur
10-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Front stance.
Back stance.
Crane Stance.
Cat stance.
Riding stance.
Just to name a few. :p

Psychotic
10-06-2013, 10:34 AM
In football I've been a bit of everything. I liked being a keeper, but I've also had spells up front and on the wings, and as a full back. I was never tall enough to be a centre back though, and probably because of my laziness I would make a bad midfielder.

Endless
10-06-2013, 11:13 AM
All these are school sports :
In football (soccer), I was defense for a few years (I was defense the one year I played it in a club, too), then goalie, then back to defense because:
In handball I was often goalie, until I dislocated my finger (you know how your index bends in the middle? Mine was bent backward in the middle)
In basketball, which thankfully we didn't play often, I was whatever, we didn't go for positional game in school ;)
I managed to always dodge rugby (never had PE teachers that did it), we never played us football
In softball (actually a variant named "thèque") we just played and didn't bother about positions and strategy, pitching was very limited since we had to throw it a certain way (lobed) that meant you couldn't try to throw fast or add spin or whatever.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Um.
Soccer - Midfield or left forward
Football - Running back or wide receiver
Baseball - Third Base(hated it) or outfield
Basketball - I don't know the position system for this sport. I'm short, so I generally just shot from afar or pushed in and made layups.

Ayen
10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
I only played sports for fun so positions in some instances were never discussed in-depth. While playing baseball I would occasionally pitch, otherwise I'd just be up at bat.

noxious.sunshine
10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I only did swimming. My strongest stroke was butterfly and then freestyle. I absolutely -hated- backstroke with a passion. I still do.

Aulayna
10-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I came into this thread expecting it to be "which sports and positions would EoFF'ers play in?"

I'm still undecided about whether or not I like what it actually turned out to be! xD

The sports I tended to play the most were football where I was a goalie (cue jokes about handling balls and the open net...) and tennis. Oh and badminton too before I finished education.

These days my sporting activity mostly consists of pool or ping pong on lunch breaks... whilst I'm sure some of the contorted body positions both cause can be classed as "positions" it doesn't really answer the topic :p

So, um, yeah!

Dat Matt
10-06-2013, 09:32 PM
I was pretty awful at team sports. In football I was either in goals, or in mid field. Basically playing the supportive for offense and defense. In basketball I never really had a position cause I was crap at it.

I was fairly good at single party sports. I was pretty good at Badminton, Tennis and long distance running back in high school. Haven't done much of it since though.

Quindiana Jones
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Tighthead prop in rugby. I also took the free kicks.

Loony BoB
10-07-2013, 01:24 PM
A prop that takes free kicks! Not often you see that.

I rarely played 'organised' team sports, but when I played rugby I was always a winger due to my incredibly low weight, while in football I would generally play on the wings, but did sometimes find myself playing in midfield or defence. In Johnty, I did remarkably well for a small fella. For those unaware of what Johnty is (ie, everyone but my friends during the age of 10-13), it's where you have a tennis ball and everyone's goal is to get and keep that tennis ball (that's it, there are no points or anything). Can be played in teams, 1 v 1 or free for all. It's incredibly bruising but hilarious fun.

Drift
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
football i was usually a defender (left-back) and in basketball i was a point guard.

Denmark
10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
soccer - forward, halfback, fullback
basketball - usually small forward/3, occasionally power forward/4, center/5, rarely shooting guard/2

Old Manus
10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Not enough cricket in this thread.

I'm a left hand opening bat (occasionally relegated to 5-6) and part time slow left-arm chinaman. I field often at short cover.

Loony BoB
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Not enough cricket in this thread.

I'm a left hand opening bat (occasionally relegated to 5-6) and part time slow left-arm chinaman. I field often at short cover.
Cricket: Made it up as I went along. I was pretty awesome with a tennis ball when playing with my mates at the end of our road, but at school with a cricket ball against those same friends I would very quickly became a distinctly average bowler. Basically I could play shots alright, but didn't have the muscle or experience to combat the pace and weight of a proper cricket ball with any real power.

Quindiana Jones
10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I quickly discovered at secondary school that I am very good at hitting things with sticks, but I never played any sticky games competitively.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I played soccer on a team from when I was 4 years old until I graduated high school. I tried to get involved in college, but anytime I was going to try to meet the coach to practice with the team and try out, he had to cancel on me. In the end, I just decided not to bother and focus on my studies instead.

I played every position pretty near equally. The only position I tried hard to get out of was defense because I never felt I was very good at it. My dad was my coach, and he actually played semi-professionally in Brazil when he was younger. I also had a lot of training with professional players simply because I was friends with most of the professional indoor soccer team and some of the outdoor team in Kansas City. Anyways, I was best at goalkeeper, and that's primarily where I played throughout high school. I would generally score at least one goal the few times I played offense, too. I miss soccer.

Shiny
10-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Track & Field

I was a sprinter. I was too lazy to do anything that involved strategy and teamwork, but I would have made a damn good basketball player.

Old Manus
10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I quickly discovered at secondary school that I am very good at hitting things with sticks, but I never played any sticky games competitively.Good enough for EoFF CC! With you we have four players (and we'd still beat Australia)!

Bunny
10-07-2013, 05:17 PM
In soccer, I was a ball kicker.
In football, I was a ball catcher.
In baseball, I was a ball hitter and a ball catcher.

escobert
10-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I olayed slot reciever in a west coast offense in football. Also played free saftey. I was a left wing in hockey and a small forward in basketball.

Shaibana
10-10-2013, 10:21 PM
i ride horse.. My position is on the horse's back

Jiro
10-10-2013, 11:58 PM
In Johnty, I did remarkably well for a small fella. For those unaware of what Johnty is (ie, everyone but my friends during the age of 10-13), it's where you have a tennis ball and everyone's goal is to get and keep that tennis ball (that's it, there are no points or anything). Can be played in teams, 1 v 1 or free for all. It's incredibly bruising but hilarious fun.

Like most kids I expect, we also had this game, or thereabouts. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but our "rules" were freeform and it was usually a case of free-for-all but you passed it off so you didn't get fucking hammered.

I never played cricket proper-like but I could spin bowl okay and I could probably fast bowl if I tried. Obviously this is like school lunch time grade and so I could probably captain Australia to the next Ashes loss.

o_O
10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
As far as team sports go...

In football I played anywhere in the forwards or mids.
In cricket I was a fast bowler but not so flash on the batting.
In rugby I played on the wings.
In indoor netball I played as A.

In Johnty, I did remarkably well for a small fella. For those unaware of what Johnty is (ie, everyone but my friends during the age of 10-13), it's where you have a tennis ball and everyone's goal is to get and keep that tennis ball (that's it, there are no points or anything). Can be played in teams, 1 v 1 or free for all. It's incredibly bruising but hilarious fun.

Like most kids I expect, we also had this game, or thereabouts. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but our "rules" were freeform and it was usually a case of free-for-all but you passed it off so you didn't get fucking hammered.

I never played cricket proper-like but I could spin bowl okay and I could probably fast bowl if I tried. Obviously this is like school lunch time grade and so I could probably captain Australia to the next Ashes loss.

We totally had this game too, only instead of a tennis ball it was a football, and as soon as you got the ball you had to punt it in the air and try to get it back straight away. It was a great honour to get to kick the ball without having it nicked before you were able. We'd have like 35 kids all mauling each other for the privilege. :D

Araciel
10-12-2013, 02:47 AM
All-star beater in quidditch.

Also lolsports.

Mahad
10-12-2013, 03:06 AM
In football I'll play anything, but if it's for positions then I would get assigned to either left defense or mid field. I'm not a good forward or goalie, but I like running so playing mid is my favorite position.

Mo-Nercy
10-17-2013, 08:05 AM
In rugby union, i was a blindside flanker/breakaway.
In rugby league, I was a centre or winger. I would also occasionally come off the bench as a replacement hooker/dummy-half in lower grades.
In volleyball, I was a setter.