PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame, or The Shit That Makes It Diet

Shorty
10-06-2013, 05:30 AM
How are you with tasting aspartame? Some people can't taste it, some people get used to it. Some people actually like it.

I drink diet tonic when I make gin and tonics for myself, but other than that, I am not fond of it. I can drink diet light-colored sodas (like Sprite and Mountain Dew) because they're all my dad has at his house and I kindof got used to them, but I don't love them. Generally given a choice, though (with the exception for tonic), no diet for me.

Rantz
10-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't know if I can taste the difference. Haven't really thought about it, but I'm sure if I tried to taste the difference I could. I still prefer natural sweeteners though cause I'm a hippie.

noxious.sunshine
10-06-2013, 09:32 AM
I can totally taste the difference between regular coke and diet coke.. I mean, who can't?

I much prefer diet coke over regular, though it doesn't taste that great with whiskey or cognac. And now, I'll only drink diet coke from Mickey D's or Sonic- with cherry & lime.

As far as being able to taste the actual sweetener.. Idk.. I've pretty much phased out sodas altogether (again, minus the weekends when we drink whiskey).. I stick with water or unsweetened iced tea.

Mirage
10-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I think aspartame has this slight metallic aftertase. I used to dislike it, but after getting extreme amounts of free soda at work, I've grown to accept the taste of it, simply because drinking the same amount of soda as non-diet sodas would probably kill me.

Also, diet coke and coke zero tastes absolutely foul anyway. Pepsi max is the greatest tasting sugarfree cola-flavor drink. And coincidencially also what we make at my job. Not biased here, guys.

Quindiana Jones
10-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Isn't it that stuff that kills you?

Chris
10-06-2013, 02:27 PM
I can taste in cheap sodas, but not in Coke Zero or Coke Light.

Mirage
10-06-2013, 05:08 PM

[Citation needed]

noxious.sunshine
10-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Everything kills you nowadays.

rubah
10-07-2013, 01:26 AM
In college, I decided to Go Diet. It was hard going at first, but I got used to it. Now, drinking a sugared cola is like imbibing in the nectar of the gods *_*

Elly
10-07-2013, 02:54 AM
that stuff tastes aweful... it can't be good for you, my body violently rejects anything i consume with it as an ingredient, as if it's saying " oh hell no"... same thing happens with Sorbitol, it makes me violently sick and tastes horrid...

LocoColt04
10-07-2013, 03:19 AM
I don't drink soda more than maybe once or twice a month, but there are plenty of other things that use aspartame as an artificial sweetener. And it's gross. Just give me the damn sugar and I'll regulate my own intake!

Seriously, a sip or a bite of anything with the stuff makes me gag. It's so disgusting.

Shlup
10-07-2013, 05:09 AM
I can taste it, but I don't hate it. Sprite Zero is okay with a meal. I hate Splenda though; I can instantly taste it and then I get sad.

Quindiana Jones
10-07-2013, 12:06 PM

[Citation needed]

[Question mark emphasised]

Mirage
10-07-2013, 02:34 PM

[Citation needed]

[Question mark emphasised]

[Whatever, bro]

Spuuky
10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Isn't it that stuff that kills you?Do you mean Asbestos? Because that's the stuff that kills you. Aspartame doesn't kill you, it just takes like someone who hates joy, fun, and light decided to create their own "sugar" specifically to make it taste bad.

Of course, while Aspartame is bad, HFCS is all they put in American Coke now anyway, so there's no reason to drink that, either. The difference between that and real sugar (when you can find foreign Coke, like the Mexican variety) is immense.

noxious.sunshine
10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I want a diet coke now. From McD's.

Miriel
10-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Definitely I can taste the difference between diet soda and regular. If you can't, there's something wrong with your taste buds!

If you're only used to drinking regular, diet is gonna taste weird. But once you switch over to JUST diet, it starts tasting normal. And once you cut out soda altogether, having any kind of soda is like a fizzy explosion in your mouth.

Jessweeee♪
10-08-2013, 04:14 AM
It's the worst :mad2:

Shoeberto
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Drinking full-sugar soda feels like pouring hot diabetes juice into my gullet. I feel like I'm taking years off of my life, compounded by the 18+ years where I had a 3 can-a-day habit.

I try to stick to diet, but I really try to just not drink it anymore. Which is easier said than done after drinking soda prolifically for so long. I don't think there exists a way to drink soda in a healthy ways, moreso just ways of mitigating the damage it'll do to your endocrine system.

fire_of_avalon
10-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Aspartame is safe but I don't like the taste of it. I try to stay away from sodas in general, though, and most of them don't really taste that good to me anymore. Except Root Beer, Cheerwine, Pepsi and Mountian Dew. And the occasional Cherry or vanilla Coke. Those still taste pretty good.

Okay I know I named like, fifty products just now. Shut up.

Mirage
10-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Drinking full-sugar soda feels like pouring hot diabetes juice into my gullet. I feel like I'm taking years off of my life, compounded by the 18+ years where I had a 3 can-a-day habit.

I try to stick to diet, but I really try to just not drink it anymore. Which is easier said than done after drinking soda prolifically for so long. I don't think there exists a way to drink soda in a healthy ways, moreso just ways of mitigating the damage it'll do to your endocrine system.

You're not supposed to drink them while they're hot. Don't you have a fridge or something?

Freya
10-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Only artificial sweetener I'll deal with is when I put it in that horrible coffee they have at my job. The sugar doesn't dissolve well enough.

But I can't really tell the difference with it though.

Mercen-X
10-16-2013, 07:46 AM

[Citation needed]
Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning | eHow (http://www.ehow.com/about_5246134_symptoms-aspartame-poisoning.html)
Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy)
Know The Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning - Underground Health (http://www.undergroundhealth.com/symptoms-of-aspartame-poisoning/)

The truth is that anything espoused as safe usually isn't as safe as you would like to believe particularly when said product is an artificial construct. Numbered dyes, artificial sweeteners, trans fats, etc. all have their draw backs. People are really only safest ingesting things that are natural and unaltered by human meddling.

That said, everything in moderation. As long as a person isn't downing a diet coke every five minutes, they should be fine. Personally, I have to wonder if aspartame was used on stack of French toast I once ate at a restaurant. It tasted like metal.

The Man
10-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Diet sodas are smurfing awful, although Coke Zero at least is better than Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. Spuuky is correct that Mexican Coke is about a billion times better than the trout with HFCS in it. As far as artificial sweeteners go, Splenda and Truvia are tolerable.

I almost never drink soda (and when I do it's usually ginger ale) so I don't have to deal with artificially sweetened drinks too often.

Mirage
10-16-2013, 10:15 AM

[Citation needed]
Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning | eHow (http://www.ehow.com/about_5246134_symptoms-aspartame-poisoning.html)
Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy)
Know The Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning - Underground Health (http://www.undergroundhealth.com/symptoms-of-aspartame-poisoning/)

The truth is that anything espoused as safe usually isn't as safe as you would like to believe particularly when said product is an artificial construct. Numbered dyes, artificial sweeteners, trans fats, etc. all have their draw backs. People are really only safest ingesting things that are natural and unaltered by human meddling.

That said, everything in moderation. As long as a person isn't downing a diet coke every five minutes, they should be fine. Personally, I have to wonder if aspartame was used on stack of French toast I once ate at a restaurant. It tasted like metal.

I'm seeing a lot of scary words about poisoning, but nothing about how big a dose is even needed in order to get poisoned. You'd think that this was a pretty important bit of information, if the effects are as severe as these pages are suggesting. I am having trouble taking those sources seriously when they say things like "may lead to death" without telling me how much is needed for them to lead to death. It's sort of like saying "extreme sugar consumption might lead to death" or "extreme caffeine consumption might lead to death". Did you know that a mere three grams of caffeine can be a lethal dose for an average human? That's not a lot.

I drink like a liter of Pepsi Max every day because it's free at my job, and I've yet to suffer any of those side effects. No headaches, and whatever loss of hearing I might have is just natural from working in a very noisy environment.

Also, there are plenty of natural things that are unaltered by humans that is very detrimental to your health. I'm not sure what you mean about "numbered dyes", but if you refer to the things that in europe have an e-number, many e-numbered substances are actually natural substances.

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM

[Citation needed]

I'm seeing a lot of scary words about poisoning, but nothing about how big a dose is even needed in order to get poisoned. You'd think that this was a pretty important bit of information, if the effects are as severe as these pages are suggesting. I am having trouble taking those sources seriously when they say things like "may lead to death" without telling me how much is needed for them to lead to death. It's sort of like saying "extreme sugar consumption might lead to death" or "extreme caffeine consumption might lead to death". Did you know that a mere three grams of caffeine can be a lethal dose for an average human? That's not a lot.

I drink like a liter of Pepsi Max every day because it's free at my job, and I've yet to suffer any of those side effects. No headaches, and whatever loss of hearing I might have is just natural from working in a very noisy environment.

Also, there are plenty of natural things that are unaltered by humans that is very detrimental to your health. I'm not sure what you mean about "numbered dyes", but if you refer to the things that in europe have an e-number, many e-numbered substances are actually natural substances.
There's literally something about the amount within the first few sentences on the first link.

" no more than 50 mg per kilogram of body weight be consumed each day. The average person would have to drink more than 19 cans of diet soda before reaching the maximum intake for the day

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5246134_symptoms-aspartame-poisoning.html#ixzz2hucnPjvp"

Mirage
10-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I read that. That literal something doesn't mention "poisoning", only a recommended maximum intake. That could be just like there is a recommended maximum daily intake of sugar, doesn't mean you'll get sugar poisoning if you eat more. It also doesn't even touch the "may lead to death" claim.

Before we continue though, I am completely uninterested in extreme situations where someone experienced serious side effects after drinking 20+ cans of diet soda every day for several days in a row. Given a high enough volume, nearly any substance can be hazardous. I'm pretty sure 20+ cans of non-diet soda per day can lead to serious health risks too.

Hollycat
10-17-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't know if it is aspartame that causes the odd taste, but I wont drink diet sodas due to whatever that afwul taste is. It tastes like liquified air with a dash of nasty.

Mirage
10-17-2013, 12:16 AM
If you taste a sort of metallic aftertaste, that's most likely aspartame.

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2013, 02:52 AM
I read that. That literal something doesn't mention "poisoning", only a recommended maximum intake. That could be just like there is a recommended maximum daily intake of sugar, doesn't mean you'll get sugar poisoning if you eat more. It also doesn't even touch the "may lead to death" claim.

Before we continue though, I am completely uninterested in extreme situations where someone experienced serious side effects after drinking 20+ cans of diet soda every day for several days in a row. Given a high enough volume, nearly any substance can be hazardous. I'm pretty sure 20+ cans of non-diet soda per day can lead to serious health risks too.

I guess, but I tend to find things like maximum intakes where the line is drawn before bad things start being likely.