PDA

View Full Version : Why won't it open!?

Ayen
10-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Opening the soda pop we get at the store out here is ridiculous. My finger is still feeling the effects of trying to open the last unopened soda bottle I grabbed out of the fridge. I had to go get a pair of pliers just to open the blasted thing. And just now it took forever removing the top off my pudding. Do the people who package these things just get sick pleasure from sealing it up so tight or what? :mad:

Anyone else ever had extreme difficult trying to open something?

Jinx
10-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Why didn't you just use a iest?

Not accurate and not appropriate. ~Shorty

Ayen
10-08-2013, 02:11 AM
Because it's a soda bottle with a cap, not a soda can.

Shorty
10-08-2013, 03:06 AM
I am terrible with glass jars. Jam jars, relish jars. Any and all glass jars. Also, wine bottles. It takes me a million years to try to get the cork out because I am a weakling. :(

Jowy
10-08-2013, 03:16 AM
Use a wine key and not those asinine corkscrew monstrosities; Much simpler and you don't mangle the foil while exposing the cork.

Since I bite my nails a lot, opening the air tight foil on jars of peanut butter is an ordeal and a half.

fire_of_avalon
10-08-2013, 03:23 AM
I am terrible with glass jars. Jam jars, relish jars. Any and all glass jars. Also, wine bottles. It takes me a million years to try to get the cork out because I am a weakling. :(
Spank the jars. Hard.

I'm serious.

Also, for the peanut butter seals, I stab them with a spoon and dig the paper out.

Shorty
10-08-2013, 03:25 AM
I try everything. Hot water, towels, banging them on the counter. But I'm afraid of banging them so hard that they break, so I just yell in the kitchen until someone comes in so I can ask them to open it for me.

Jinx
10-08-2013, 04:50 AM
The trick is to bang the part where the lid meets the jar. That little crack in between. Keep rotating til you hear a pop.

Freya
10-08-2013, 05:12 AM
I'm macho woman. I can always get it open. Cept bottles. Like beer or whatever, i just hand it off to the boyfriend. But jars and such, heck yah, I'm a pro jar openerererer

Araciel
10-08-2013, 05:29 AM
It was designed to be opened.

Just use hands.

Ayen
10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Even my dad some times need the pliers to open the soda bottles and he's no weakling :P

It was designed to be open until man got a hold of it and decided to have a good laugh.

Loony BoB
10-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I've yet to come across a bottle/jar I couldn't open, although some have caused me quite a lot of pain as they tore away at my hands. :( Southern Comfort occasionally gets this way after I shut it too tight, so in that case I have only myself to blame. =x

noxious.sunshine
10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Beer bottles are no problem. I can pop the cap off an Imported beer with my teeth XD .. It grosses people out, but I'm like "Yeaaaah boi!"

I had bought a jar of oil-packed sundried tomatoes and none of us could get the damn thing open - not me, not my bf, not even our roommate who's like 6'3" and over 200 lbs. haha

Værn
10-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I've never had much trouble opening a bottle.
Jars, on the other hand...

fire_of_avalon
10-11-2013, 04:30 AM
Even my dad some times need the pliers to open the soda bottles and he's no weakling :P

It was designed to be open until man got a hold of it and decided to have a good laugh.
I swear when this happens it has something to do with internal pressure. My sister closes lids on sodas too tightly and it makes me crazy.

Jamesfredette
10-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Use a spoon..

Skyblade
10-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Wrap a thick rubber band around the cap (2 to 3 times if needed to get the slack out). Then grab it and turn. The rubber provides excellent grip, both on the cap, and on your hand. Works well on pretty much any lid or jar, whether it's plastic, metal, or glass.

Araciel
10-12-2013, 02:51 AM
Ehhh just buy one of those grip strengtheners or cut sheet metal for a living for a year or two - you'll be opening everything in no time.