PDA

View Full Version : Little Tiny Video Game Shops

Pike
10-10-2013, 10:32 AM
There's a local place here that is basically run by one single guy and I tend to make out with treasures every time I go in there. A few weeks ago it was a first edition gold cartridge Legend of Zelda and yesterday I got the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2 :love:

Are there little tiny mom & pop vidya stores where you are? Do you get goodies when you visit?

Pete for President
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I support the local small shop for sure! They tend to have all the sort of underground and Japanese titles the big stores never dare to import. Don't even mind paying that 3-5 euro's extra for a game if it means the money goes to the guy who's really into gaming rather than the goons at superstores. Unfortunately vintage collections are pretty much non-existent in stores in the Netherlands :cry:

Laddy
10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Memphis has quite a few of this and they're awesome. This one place I know is like a literal hole in the wall but it has the best selection of old OC games I've ever seen. Got Might & Magic IV for like $6.

Loony BoB
10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
There's a local place here that is basically run by one single guy and I tend to make out with treasures every time I go in there.
I read this sentence like five or six times before realising what you meant. I was confused as to why you were kissing 'treasures'. :S

Anyways, I don't have one of those over here. I had one in NZ, though. There used to be one in Edinburgh too, but it shut down.

Sephex
10-10-2013, 02:08 PM
There are none in my area as far as I know. We only have Gamestops around here, and they have to yank at your penis when you enter the store. If you are a woman, they stare awkwardly at the ground for awhile and talk about Portal.

Shauna
10-10-2013, 02:19 PM
There is one shop in Glasgow that could fall under this heading. It has a bunch of old school stuff that I like looking at, and a lot of their current gen stuff are games that you don't tend to see in places like GAME. Also they get a lot of American imports in, which is cool.

EDIT: And they are more expensive than other game shops which makes me go in and look, but never buy.

Aulayna
10-10-2013, 02:21 PM
We used to have one but it was ridiculously expensive, they offered less money on trade-ins and the owner was a complete asshole to people. It used to be partnered with a shop that sold crystals so they had the name Games & Crystals. When that partnership ended the amount of cool stuff the shop had went down big time and eventually they went bust.

Agent Proto
10-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I remember years ago that there was a small video game shop and my family would often make a visit for games to buy or trade. Sadly, it closed. I'm not sure if there are other small shops that specializes in video games though. :|

Scotty_ffgamer
10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
There's a small used game store about a mile from my house that I go to quite frequently. Strangely enough, the thing I buy there most is movies. All of their DVDs are $2, and I've found some real gems there. I've gotten some great games too, and they have good deals all the time. (I think everyday they have a buy 2 get one free thing going on, and they also have frequent coupons where sometimes you could get 25% off a used game or buy one get one free). Unfortunately, I rarely have any money to buy games there.

Bolivar
10-10-2013, 06:22 PM
I live in Philadelphia and while I haven't searched lately, the last mom & pop I knew of on South street closed down a few years ago. Sad that a major city wouldn't have anything like this.

Slothy
10-10-2013, 06:53 PM
There's a guy in town that goes around the province selling a ton if games at various flea markets and what not. He has good selection and gets some great stuff now and again. Oddly enough, I think a friend and I have supplied him with more cool stuff than he typically has at any one time.

Pike
10-10-2013, 10:22 PM
There's a local place here that is basically run by one single guy and I tend to make out with treasures every time I go in there.
I read this sentence like five or six times before realising what you meant. I was confused as to why you were kissing 'treasures'. :S

To be fair I would totally make out with - your definition - most of the products in those retro game shops :shifty:

Tigmafuzz
10-10-2013, 11:28 PM
There was a cool retro game store down the street from here a few months ago. I was good friends with the owner and the manager, as were some of my other friends. It was a cool place to hang out and have Mario Kart tournaments and such. They moved to a better location, and now I would have to drive over 40 minutes to go see them, and that's just a bit too much for me. I'm not big on leaving the house for any more than an hour lately.

Small stores are the best.

DMKA
10-12-2013, 04:25 AM
Growing up in So Cal, I remember lots of them, all over the place, usually ran by old Japanese dudes. I remember one in the Rolling Hills district of Lomita, CA that I lived down the street from for years called Game Masters. The guys were cool as hell, and we'd go there and play all day. I played a PlayStation, a Sega Saturn, and a 3DO for the first time there. Eventually I bought my N64 and my first PlayStation from them. Then one day, the Fuddruckers next to them went out of business and was replaced by a Hollywood Video (which undercut prices they simply could not match on games), and sadly, not too long after that, I noticed that they'd closed up shop.

Here in Columbus, there's none though. You do see a couple empty spaces here and there that used to be little mom and pop game shops though, which is kind of sad. GameStop killed them all. :(

Jowy
10-12-2013, 07:11 AM
There's a huge store in the international district stocked with anything you'd need on a console, be it in English or Japanese. I got a few Nintendo plushies and FFIV for Super Famicom there. There's a place near my old apartment that has a handful of retro games but overcharges out the ass for them.

black orb
10-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Are there little tiny mom & pop vidya stores where you are?
>>> Yes. lots of them..:luca:

Do you get goodies when you visit?
>>> Hell no, they only have PES and GTA because that is the only crap people play these days..:luca:

Jessweeee♪
10-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Went to San Antonio to visit my boyfriend this weekend. We found this shop that had games for pretty much every system ever. I bought a copy of Final Fantasy Anthology in seemingly new condition o:

theundeadhero
10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
There's a couple around here and one in particular I've been going to for years. Every now and then I just stop by to see what kinds of new games they have and I've bought tons of old/rare stuff from them. On multiple occasions I've bought quite a bit at a time and he'll just give me some of the cheaper things for free. I like that about mom and pop shops. There's also a huge mom/pop record store around here. I went in once after a deployment and bought a couple hundred dollars of old records :p They gave me 15% off my entire purchase and a box to carry them in.