PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Leader?

Shiny
10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
A follower? Or somewhere in between?

Scotty_ffgamer
10-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I switch between leader and follower pretty frequently, so I guess something in between. It depends on the situation. At work, I'm more of a follower. This is mainly because I'm pretty new. At my old job, I was more of a leader because I was forced to pretty frequently. I was probably a leader more often than not for school projects. When I was student teaching, I started as a follower and became a leader once I took over the classroom.

When just amongst my friends, though, I'm a follower. I never seem to get to picked what movies are watched/games are played/etc.

Shauna
10-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I feel that I sit somewhere in between. I don't enjoy taking a leadership position, but if I am in that position I think I deal with it pretty well. I am good at getting things organised, and I know the nice balance for prodding people to get things done without coming across as too pushy or nagging (I hope so at least xD).

I ideally like to not have to make too many decisions and such. Just the kind of person I am.

Tigmafuzz
10-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I am very much a leader. Being a sergeant in the Marine Corps will do that to a person though. Most people anyways. I have been in leadership positions almost constantly for the last three years.
I can follow when I need to, or if I think I should. I believe every good leader needs to be a follower first and at times. But I am more inclined to lead now than I used to be.

I remember when I was about 10 or 12 years old, in the Boy Scouts of America, I got elected by the other boys to be the Patrol Leader of my small unit. It effectively put me in charge of 5 other boys and gave me chance to be a leader. I was so excited and I told my dad when I got home. He said congratulations and all that, and then looked kind of thoughtful for a second and said that he didn't see me as much of the leader type.
I was a smart kid and knew my personality wasn't really the natural leader type. But ever since he said that, making myself to be a good leader who others look up to has been one of my life goals.

Spuuky
10-10-2013, 11:29 PM
No.

Jiro
10-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I am a sort of leader. Like, I can do it. But I don't always want to. When we're making decisions about what to eat or whatever, I routinely use the line "you're the boss" which is clearly a signal that I don't like to make decisions. But when shit needs doing then I will make it happen because fuck I'm only indecisive 'cause I don't want to piss anyone off.

Cuchulainn
10-11-2013, 01:21 AM
What's with all these smurfing questions all ovasudden woman.

I'm neither a leader nor a follower. I looked around, seen what utter twats the human race was, and opted out. People are idiots. Even so some people insist on hanging around. A surprising number when you consider what a flagrant :bou::bou::bou::bou: I am. I dont take them anywhere. They just hang around and I've no idea why. Sometimes I'm glad they do. I suppose they're good people. I'd take a bruise or two for them.

fire_of_avalon
10-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Depends on the crowd. If people need leading, I lead. If people need support, I support. If I feel strongly about doing something a certain way, I get a little stubborn and do it my way until it fails or succeeds. Then I either quit or continue.

Shorty
10-11-2013, 03:22 AM
I have much more of a follower personality and I feel much more comfortable being a follower. I've been a supervisor more than once in past jobs and I was elected president on more than one occasion for our young women group when I went to church. I think this is because I'm good at stirring enthusiasm and I have good ideas and strategies for handling situations and am well-organized in projects, but being in an authoritative position over others that made me responsible to lead them/guide them/whatever gave me more anxiety than the position was worth.

As much as I dislike working in offices, I think that being an assistant is very appropriate to my personality. I'd rather stand back in the shadows and support someone than being made to make executive decisions and take on a lead management role. I've never been a leader among friends, and I dislike being the leader in relationships (because as it seems everything ought to be equal, there is always one person who wears the pants a little more than the other). There are exceptions to this, though, I guess. I very much feel like a leader with most of my family. Definitely my sisters, and at times, with my mother. And there's this forum of which I help moderate, obviously.

I think that being a follower is often associated with being weak and "sheep-like", which is definitely not the case. I've figured out that this is best as my role in life and I am completely and 100% more happy for it after figuring out I am like this.

Araciel
10-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Puppetmaster, more like.

Night Fury
10-11-2013, 05:05 AM
I'm a good leader. I do often take control of situations, and in the past when I've worked in groups I've taken charge. It's because I'm very good at being organised, and organising others - but I can also think on my feet pretty well.

I used to be very shy, so I was a follower then, but I'm more than happy to lead these days.

Laddy
10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
If I know what I'm doing, absolutely. If not I tend to be a diplomat between the two if possible

Shiny
10-11-2013, 07:45 AM

I'm neither a leader nor a follower. I looked around, seen what utter twats the human race was, and opted out. People are idiots. Even so some people insist on hanging around. A surprising number when you consider what a flagrant :bou::bou::bou::bou: I am. I dont take them anywhere. They just hang around and I've no idea why. Sometimes I'm glad they do. I suppose they're good people. I'd take a bruise or two for them.
Curiosity :shiny: (also I was bored)

If there is no one to lead the weak and ignorant than they will continue to be weak and ignorant until they or someone else decides to take initiative.

I'd like to think when I bother to care enough, I'm an instigator, initiator, who gets people to do things by doing them myself and without having to tell them to do something. I wish I did this more often because I'd rather not dictate anything or have something be undone, or unlearned.

I know what people mean about not wanting to make decisions -- it's rough. A part of being a leader is knowing you'll have to take most or all blame if something goes wrong even with something as simple as deciding where to eat, so I've opted for the "do what you want" mentality for those situations and by "do what you want" basically always people assume I mean I want you to actually do this, but I want you to decide the correct course of action for yourself and they'd be right.

Iceglow
10-11-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm gonna be bluntly honest that this entirely depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I'm a trail blazer, I don't do things the expected way and in many regards this makes me a leader because people will follow my example. However, if I'm feeling lazy, I guarantee I will sit back and let someone else develop a headache or at least I do until I get bored of being lazy and end up doing things right.

Psychotic
10-11-2013, 07:49 AM
EoFF should already know the answer to that. HINT: See Elections, Mafia, etc.

Cuchulainn
10-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm gonna be bluntly honest that this entirely depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I'm a trail blazer, I don't do things the expected way and in many regards this makes me a leader because people will follow my example. However, if I'm feeling lazy, I guarantee I will sit back and let someone else develop a headache or at least I do until I get bored of being lazy and end up doing things right.

Every time I read your posts I hear David Brent's voice.

Curiosity :shiny: (also I was bored)

If there is no one to lead the weak and ignorant than they will continue to be weak and ignorant until they or someone else decides to take initiative.

I'd like to think when I bother to care enough, I'm an instigator, initiator, who gets people to do things by doing them myself and without having to tell them to do something. I wish I did this more often because I'd rather not dictate anything or have something be undone, or unlearned.

I know what people mean about not wanting to make decisions -- it's rough. A part of being a leader is knowing you'll have to take most or all blame if something goes wrong even with something as simple as deciding where to eat, so I've opted for the "do what you want" mentality for those situations and by "do what you want" basically always people assume I mean I want you to actually do this, but I want you to decide the correct course of action for yourself and they'd be right.

I never or rarely follow...anyone. I also pretty much make a decision on something and do it. I've no idea what that makes me. I've definitely taken the lead in many many circumstances but I've never wanted it or never enjoyed it because, as I've said, people are mostly dicks.

noxious.sunshine
10-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Am I a leader? Hardly. I do my own thing 100%, though. I march to the beat of my own drum and do my own thing.

I don't rly advise people to follow in my footsteps. I'm good at getting myself into pretty big messes and it sometimes takes awhile to dig myself out of them.

I do however, advise ppl to listen to my advice when I bother giving it. I'm usually pretty good at that bit.

Chemical
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Too lazy to lead.

Too independent to follow.

Fair dinkum.

Iceglow
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Every time I read your posts I hear David Brent's voice.

Wrong part of England you dumb bloody paddy! He's from flipping Berkshire not fucking London. Get it right.

Rantz
10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I tend to learn things quickly and well, and I think I have a pretty approachable attitude, which often leads me to being a go-to guy at work for practical questions and concerns. However, I'm not very charismatic and I'm quick to let other people make final decisions on things I don't have a very strong contrary opinion on, so in a social context I'm definitely not a leader.

I Took the Red Pill
10-12-2013, 01:41 AM

Every time I read your posts I hear David Brent's voice.Now that you say it I can totally see it.

Cuchulainn
10-12-2013, 02:04 PM
It's mad isn't it? I can totally see him touching his tie after calling himself a trail blazer. andthen biting his bottom lip while interlocking his fingers while he called himself a leader of men.

People with absolutely no self awareness like that really do exist.

Quindiana Jones
10-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm shite at being in charge of things, but I don't trust other people to do things right, so this often leads to me taking leadership positions and doing absolutely sod all with them. xD

Marky Tee
10-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Follower because I'm a lowly SAC