PDA

View Full Version : Hi

SirPrizes
10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I decided to join this forum for a pleasant place to discuss FF, away from the cynicism and jadedness of other messageboards/imageboards that I frequent. I hope discussion here will be a satisfying experience!

I got into FF in the mid 2000s with FFIV Advance, and immediately knew the series was something special. From there I went on to X, which I wasn't into at first but quickly warmed up to. After that it was XII, which I didn't enjoy at all (though I have nothing against the game or those that do enjoy it, I just see it as a very love it or hate it kind of game), then XIII, which I found to be very mediocre.

After that I decided to go back and play some of the older FFs, to get a feel for the series and how it got to this point. In the past year or so, I have played VI, VII, and IX, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I plan on finishing V soon, and from what I've played, it's absolutely fantastic.

If I had to pinpoint my favorite FFs at this point, they would be IX and VII, though my experience with the series is still growing, and V could easily become one of my favorites.

Outside of FF, I'm a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda series, and have played nearly every installment. I'm a big fan of Nintendo franchises in general, and have played most Mario and Metroid games and a fair bit of F-Zero and Fire Emblem.

Most of my gaming is currently done on emulators, my PS3, my PS2, and my 3DS. I think the quality of video games as a whole has declined with the current generation, and I prefer playing older games, particularly SNES RPGs.

My favorite genre is easily RPGs, with "Metroidvania" and action/adventure games also being really up there. I also enjoy platformers, though I prefer 2D platformers to 3D platformers. Though those are my favorites, I'll play a game in any genre if the premise interests me.

Outside of games, I have a passion for music (it's actually one of the reasons I enjoy FF so much), and can play the piano. I don't have a favorite band since my taste tends to go through phases, but my favorite genres are progressive rock, dreampop, post-rock, and post-hardcore.

Not sure what else to put, I think that about covers it! Looking forward to getting into this community!

Shorty
10-12-2013, 02:54 AM
Glad to meet you! How did you stumble upon our community?

Rantz
10-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Ahoy-hoy!!

SirPrizes
10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Glad to meet you! How did you stumble upon our community?

Same to you! I had actually heard about this site a while back (I think I was looking for news on Vs XIII or something), but I never considered joining because I was still really new to FF and didn't think I'd be able to contribute much. I looked around at various other FF sites, but this one seemed like it had the best community by far!

Rantz
10-12-2013, 05:52 PM
That's an accurate assessment. :cool:

Agent Proto
10-12-2013, 06:01 PM
A pleasant surprise to meet you SirPrizes. Hahaha, see what I did there?

Hollycat
10-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Hiya!

Mirage
10-12-2013, 06:32 PM
If you want to get away from cynicism, you might have come to the wrong place!

Also what is dreampop

SirPrizes
10-12-2013, 11:08 PM
If you want to get away from cynicism, you might have come to the wrong place!

Also what is dreampop

Everything I've seen so far has been pretty tame, a lot better than the mud flinging and such on other forums I know of.

Dreampop is basically just really atmospheric pop music. Some of the most well-known bands that get labeled that would be Cocteau Twins and The Cranberries. Basically anything on the 4AD label in the late 80s/90s has that kind of sound too. Here's a couple good gateway songs!

WybSSagVvoU

You've probably heard this one:
Yam5uK6e-bQ

ImKY6TZEyrI

Also, there's a related genre called shoegaze (named that because the bands used so much distortion they were constantly staring at their distortion pedals on the floor), and tons of good stuff in that too.

Basically I just like really layered, atmospheric music a lot!

Also, how do you embed YouTube videos into posts?

Edit: figured it out!

Shorty
10-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Holy cow, I haven't heard the Cocteau Twins in sooo long! Nice choice.

Ayen
10-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Had no idea you were a new member, lol.

Welcome to the forum.

Pike
10-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around because I think you're fitting in well so far :) Tons of music fans here as well for you to chat to!

Mirage
10-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh, I actually like the cranberries. I had no idea they were classified as dream pop.

Welcome to the forum.
The post count and join date should have given it away

SirPrizes
10-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Holy cow, I haven't heard the Cocteau Twins in sooo long! Nice choice.

Awesome! They're definitely one of my favorites! I love the way Elizabeth Fraser sings, her voice is amazing.

Welcome to the forum.

Haha, I guess that's a compliment? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around because I think you're fitting in well so far :) Tons of music fans here as well for you to chat to!

Nice to know I'm already fitting in well. :) I'll have to check out the music discussions soon!

Oh, I actually like the cranberries. I had no idea they were classified as dream pop.

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I think the term "dream pop" itself is relatively new, though I'm unsure about that. There was a brief period where a lot of bands had that kind of sound and it was really popular, then when they moved away from it I guess they needed something to call it looking back on it to distinguish it from more contemporary pop music. At least that's my guess, I have no idea where the term came from, but I think it's appropriate since a lot of it does sound kind of "dreamy".

Either way, The Cranberries are awesome, no matter what genre they get labeled as!

Ayen
10-13-2013, 10:31 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Nooo... Really?

Wasn't look at the join date.

Freya
10-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Welcome to Eyesonff! I've seen you around a little bit. Missed this thread though!

Never heard of dream pop before but I do know the cranberries!

Glad you picked IX as one of your favorites. Good choice!

Quindiana Jones
10-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I hate surprises.

Quindiana Jones
10-15-2013, 12:47 PM
But I like SirPrizes! :party: