PDA

View Full Version : So I guess I finally joined the modern world

Psychotic
10-11-2013, 07:15 PM
After having the same phone for 8 years, I finally got a smart phone. iPhone 5c in case you're wondering, no, I don't care about iOS v Android debates. I have Android on my work phone and it aint for me, thanks.

I utilised my new number to try to convince lonny bob I was his future self (It failed because he is going to kill himself before he hits 30) and convince Iceglow I was a girl he had slept with and HIV (it failed because Steve is still a virgin) :shobon:

Anywho, there is a point to this... suggest some apps! For me, for anyone, who knows, who cares, go hog wild! What apps are awesome and I should get?

Also also, does anyone want to swap numbers and be my new whatsapp bff and talk to each other 24/7 and :love:

Jinx
10-11-2013, 07:17 PM
whatsapp plz

Madame Adequate
10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Next you'll be joining Facebook :greenie:

Psychotic
10-11-2013, 07:21 PM
whatsapp plzFirst one I got bro.

Rantz
10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Forum Runner is probably the fastest and easiest way to access EoFF on your phone, although it's not the most compatible. Aside from that I don't know too much about useful iPhone apps, but I would like you to get Snapchat and send me a picture of your breakfast every morning from now on. Thanks.

Cuchulainn
10-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Aulayna
10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I got a smartphone about 9 months ago, still rarely use it for anything other than being a glorified alarm clock - should've just stuck with my old phone.

Psychotic
10-11-2013, 08:28 PM
I got a smartphone about 9 months ago, still rarely use it for anything other than being a glorified alarm clock - should've just stuck with my old phone.Don't tell me that!

Still, I think it's worth it for abusing non-UK EoFFers alone! :shobon:

Iceglow
10-11-2013, 08:31 PM
It failed because you attempted to use the wrong bar and the wrong girls name. Still nice try.

NorthernChaosGod
10-11-2013, 11:13 PM
You should get Puzzle and Dragons because it's fun and then you can help me. :p

Pheesh
10-12-2013, 12:44 AM
The Dropbox app is good quality assuming you have a dropbox account you use. It's a quick way to get any photos onto your computer without having to go through the hullabaloo of connecting your iPhone via cable.

Shorty
10-12-2013, 01:06 AM
The ability to sync my google calendar to my phone's calendar is a godsend. I am a ridiculously forgetful person, so as long as I remember to log it in my calendar, there is a nice little pop-up reminding me of what it was I was meant to do!

Dropbox
Easy Battery Saver (I've noticed a difference when I don't have this installed)
Google Drive
Google Talk/Hangouts
Netflix
Notepad (I use this allll the time)
OneNote
Pandora
Podkicker
SkyDrive
Whatsapp
Youtube (it's better and faster than the browser version)

And, of course, there are a million social networking, game, and novelty apps. When I first got a smartphone, I went through and downloaded any app that looked like I'd even remotely use it even a little. Over time, I used about 50% of them and they were just taking up space on my hard drive. I would suggest that before you go on a download frenzy, think about if you'll really use something rather than if it's just a cool feature to have available should you ever need to use it.

Elskidor
10-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Well grats. I'm not even sure what an iOS is, but appearntly I need it to play the new FFVI. Anyway, have fun.

I Took the Red Pill
10-12-2013, 01:37 AM
I use Android so I'm not sure if these apps exist for iOS, but if not then something similar probably does. I'm not trying to start a fanboy war, just cba to look up if they're in the iOS app store:

myBoy - free GBA emulator and probably my most used app

Astro File Manager - pretty sure this one is only on Android but I'm sure iOS has something similar. I hate the native support for dealing with files and this app makes it more like working with a computer.

Google Translate - good app if you will ever find yourself in need of a quick translation to whatever language

Soundcloud - Usually has whatever song I'm looking for and loads a lot quicker than youtube

Rando - This is a useless but pretty cool app. You take a picture of whatever you want, it gets sent anonymously to a stranger somewhere in the world, and you in turn receive a random, anonymous picture from somewhere in the world. The only information you can see about the sender is where they're located. I've got some pretty cool pictures sent, and, SO FAR, have received no cock pictures.

Lastly and most importantly, weChat. This is a Chinese-made app similar to whatsapp used for messaging people using the internet. The thing is, though, that the app is about 1,000,000x better than Whatsapp. I converted a good amount of my friends back home and I hope to see it spread more. It has voice chat, video chat, and even a facebook-like social component if you want to use that (I don't).

Shorty
10-12-2013, 02:03 AM
I have never heard of Rando before, but I downloaded it and I'm loving it.

Night Fury
10-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Yes! Please get whatsapp and snapchat!!!! :D

Shlup
10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Hello Kitty Cafe

Psychotic
10-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I particularly love Google Translate, as I can just yell gibberish and find out what it is in Azerbaijani. Is it wrong that I like making the Arabic man say "I have come to bring you democracy in exchange for oil"? :greenie:

Also, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want my number so we can be phone bros!

Baloki
10-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I hear that one about that thing is still quality or something?

Endless
10-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Apps I use regularly :
- Google maps (I'm still on ios 5, jailbreak, ho! But from 6 and onward you have to install it from the store or use Apple's maps)
- Chrome
- Shazam (music recognition)
- SoundCloud
- Pocket ("read later" app which syncs with my macbook)
- Todo lite (cause I'm cheap and the free edition does enough for my needs)
- Dropbox
- Evernote
- Google drive
- Gmail
- Facebook
- FB messenger
- Twitter
- IRC999
- GPX master (gps lock tracker, syncs with dropbox, too)
- Fastshop (grocery list)
- Dice Ex
- xbmcRemote
- pocketCAS
- i48

And since I'm jailbroken :
- MyWi
- Lockinfo (seriously the best jb app)
- SBsettings

fire_of_avalon
10-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty boring in that I only use the standard apps because I don't do cool things with my phone. I use facebook and pinterest a lot because I'm almost 30. I like my calendar app because I forget stuff. I like whatsapp and I would talk to you if you want to talk to me. I use Pandora because I like music. I use my Flashlight app a lot when it's dark and I need to see.

I wish I were cool.

Pike
10-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh we're listing apps we use now? Okay:

Firefox - much prefer it over the built-in web browser.
DuckDuckGo - much prefer it over the built-in search
Plume - Good Twitter client
AndChat - to talk to #eoffers on the go :D
GoodReads - to update book progress on the go!
YNAB - Best budgeting program I've ever used, it syncs up to the one on my PC via Dropbox!
Steam - Because I can buy vidya gaems from elsewhere :shobon:

And then Facebook, Tumblr et al. I'm pretty boring. I don't use Whatsapp because I don't like talking to people :monster:

escobert
10-13-2013, 05:17 PM
apple runs on witchcraft.

Shiny
10-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Infinity Blade - Arcade game that's pretty fun and addictive
Backup Asst - Backs up all your contacts
Waze - better than Siri at giving directiond

Loony BoB
10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I have an Android so I dunno which of these are of use to you, but the apps I use are...

Facebook
Twitter
FreeCell
WhatsApp
Y! Mail
YouTube
Mahjong
Solitaire
Sudoku
Play Store - for apps
My Bus Edinburgh - for local travel
Sky+ - for recording TV
AndChat - for #eoff purposes
WinAmp - for music
DropBox - e-files
Kitchen Timer - timer
ACV - comics
Adobe Reader - pdf
Advanced Task Killer - for terminating programs that won't terminate

Tigmafuzz
10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
apple runs on witchcraft.

Expensive witchcraft, made more effective by harvesting the tears of the children whose parents have killed themselves because of the subhuman conditions at the company Apple buys their hardware from.

Rando - This is a useless but pretty cool app. You take a picture of whatever you want, it gets sent anonymously to a stranger somewhere in the world, and you in turn receive a random, anonymous picture from somewhere in the world. The only information you can see about the sender is where they're located. I've got some pretty cool pictures sent, and, SO FAR, have received no cock pictures.

Oh man, I fucking love this thing.

Psychotic
10-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi kids, I am at a train station inLondon posting at EoFF! I feel like a big boy now.

Cuchulainn
10-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I also use an android but I think most apps cross-over now don't they? Anyway here's my list of useful apps I couldn't do without.

Clock

Hope I helped mate. It's a big step.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-17-2013, 07:29 AM
I have yet to join the modern world. I can't afford it yet. Whenever I hear the words Android/iOS/app I'm automatically bummed because I know I can't participate.

Freya
10-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I now have a phone that can use all the fancy apps with no problem and I play dumb ways to die the most.

WELCOME TO TECHNOLOGY PSY! Bout time.

Shorty
10-17-2013, 07:36 AM
I forgot to mention Swiftkey. Swiftkey's keyboard is a zillion times better than the standard andro one.

Rantz
10-17-2013, 12:21 PM
^ This is truth.

Jessweeee♪
10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Spotifyyyyy

theundeadhero
10-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Why has no one said flashlight yet?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-19-2013, 09:06 AM

I use my Flashlight app a lot when it's dark and I need to see.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2013, 12:01 AM

iOS7 comes with a flashlight built in already.

Pike
10-20-2013, 12:17 AM
I just open a blank browser window and use that as a flashlight.

Tigmafuzz
10-20-2013, 12:39 AM
I just carry an actual flashlight :confused:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-20-2013, 01:44 AM
I just carry an actual flashlight :confused:

What a novel concept!

I mean.

Get with the times, grandpa. There's an app for that. :smug:

Psychotic
10-20-2013, 08:57 AM

iOS7 comes with a flashlight built in already.What, where?

Madame Adequate
10-20-2013, 11:17 AM
I just see in the dark like a modern cyborg instead of you electro-mechanical relics :smug:

Mo-Nercy
10-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Lastly and most importantly, weChat. This is a Chinese-made app similar to whatsapp used for messaging people using the internet. The thing is, though, that the app is about 1,000,000x better than Whatsapp. I converted a good amount of my friends back home and I hope to see it spread more. It has voice chat, video chat, and even a facebook-like social component if you want to use that (I don't).
Yeah, the Moments (the social component) is pretty cool. I hardly use it, but the girls in my area appear to quite enjoy taking provocative selfies.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2013, 07:00 PM

iOS7 comes with a flashlight built in already.What, where?

In the control center. Swipe up from the bottom and it's the little flashlight icon.

Shiny
10-21-2013, 03:44 AM
I just download ios7 and I'm already smurfing things up. I accidentally turned on a weird filter on my camera and I don't know how to turn it off. I also don't know how to x out apps that I'm not using like you could do before.

I also downloaded Pandora and it's pretty horrible.

NorthernChaosGod
10-21-2013, 04:04 AM
I just download ios7 and I'm already smurfing things up. I accidentally turned on a weird filter on my camera and I don't know how to turn it off. I also don't know how to x out apps that I'm not using like you could do before.

Go back to the filter selection and select "None".

Swipe the preview window up.

Loony BoB
10-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh, a couple of people mentioned keyboard apps - I use TouchPal X at the moment, which is great. I've even asked them if they can increase the number of predicted words at the top of the screen (there used to be five, they decreased it to three - anyone in the predictables gang knows this is a big deal) and they said they'll patch in an option soon. Proper customer service, that. :aimsun:

Shorty
10-25-2013, 07:20 AM
I am going to call them and put a stop to it while stressing the urgency of international security.

Loony BoB
10-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Sarah doesn't have a lot of fun with my best friends and family is so much better when you're happy for them