PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon X&Y post-launch discussion thread - AKA Jinx is Upset

Pages : [1] 2 3

LocoColt04
10-12-2013, 05:10 AM
SPOILER ALERT

there will probably be spoilers in this thread

they should probably be marked

but they will be here

In the meantime, Sam is hyperventilating as far as I can tell, so someone should make sure she made it home alive. You kids have fun with your Pokémon tonight, because I don't get to play it until the morning.

UHUUUU
T-T

Jinx
10-12-2013, 05:12 AM
I AM AT HOME ESHOP IS BEING A :bou::bou::bou::bou: FIRST IT WAS LATE NOW IT WON'T LOAD THE PAGE FOR ME TO BUY IT GODDAMMIT

LocoColt04
10-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Likely because you and a million others are trying to do the same thing!

So
To start the discussion
So this thread remains relevant
And Sam stays alive

What starter do you anticipate choosing? Why?

FROAKIE! Primarily because his evolutions look legit, and Water/Dark is a badass typing.

Jinx
10-12-2013, 05:24 AM
FENNEKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

and charmander

Denmark
10-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Froakie because Sam wanted Fennekin. And I'm playing Y because she wanted Xerneas. I'm not too picky.

Tasura
10-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Fennekin, and probably Bulbasaur to offset the water weakness of Fennekin and the free Torchic.

Also, the Super Training thing is addictive, I spent like half an hour doing just that. And the Wonder Trade is also kinda cool.

Oh, also I got Y because it was the last copy they had at the midnight launch here.

Madame Adequate
10-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Trying to decide between Fennekin and Chespin. Both are adorable at the start, Braixen looks great but then Chesnaught is the best stage three evolution by a huge margin.

Madame Adequate
10-12-2013, 11:04 AM
goomy pls

Endless
10-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Fennekin/Squirtle, free Torchic. After two wonder trades and a gts trade my lineup is:
Vivillon (bug/flying), Honedge (steel/ghost), Combusken (fire/fight), Braixen (fire), Squirtle (water), Pikachu (pikachu!)

Also, the I-suppose-bad guy is Ganondorf's cousin apparently.

Edit: my character in-game is named Elise, and you can find my 3ds code here (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/147207-official-eyes-final-fantasy-all-console-codes-thread-2.html#post3287325).

Skyblade
10-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Trying to decide between Fennekin and Chespin. Both are adorable at the start, Braixen looks great but then Chesnaught is the best stage three evolution by a huge margin.

Really? How so? It has more weaknesses and fewer resistances than both the other final evolutions. It seems to be a defensive/support Pokémon, which doesn't tend to be great for the story.

It also looks ridiculous.

I'm going for Froakie/Charmander. I know I'll get a free Torchic, but since I'll be transferring the others over from my second game anyway, I might as well pick what I like. And the little fire guy has always been my favorite of the original starters. He's just so cute. Until he grows into a giant fire breathing dragon of doom.

Formalhaut
10-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I do not understand this love of Chesnought. S/he looks pretty mediocre as final stage evolutions go if you ask me. Delphox looks the best, in my opinion.

Anyway, again, I'll get the game for Christmas most likely, though right now I'd probably choose Fennekin and Bulbasaur.

Aulayna
10-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Edit: my character in-game is named Elise, and you can find my 3ds code here (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/147207-official-eyes-final-fantasy-all-console-codes-thread-2.html#post3287325).

Ah I wondered who that was xD

Freya
10-12-2013, 08:26 PM
I JUST GOT HOME WITH IT. I was going to go with fennikin but I saw the final evo and wasn't happy. So I think I'll go with Froakie

0791-1388-7078 for anyone who has yet to add me

Madame Adequate
10-13-2013, 01:53 AM

Really? How so?

Because it looks badass.

PS these games are amazing get them now.

Skyblade
10-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Best part of super training? EVs now cap at 252 per stat (at least, from super training), not 255. This means that you can't get stuck with 255/255 and have 6 unplaced stat points. Also, except for the Small Bags, Super Training always gives you multiples of 4 (4 EVs = 1 stat point at level 100). So it's really well designed for EV min/maxing.

Unfortunately, the tutorial sticks you with 8 Defense EVs. So you need to hold off until you pick up a junk Pokémon (I used my first captured Pidgey), or miss out on the opportunity to min/max your starter. Of course, that also means that you'll have at least 2 unavoidable EVs. One from your first fight with your rival, and one with the first fight where you capture a Pokémon (since capturing gives EVs/IVs). So if you wind up with poor EVs from those, you had better not do any more fighting before you min/max. There are still room for two EVs that won't affect stats, but that's all. Fortunately, Route 1 is full of Speed EVs (which are almost always great), and Fenniken gives Special Attack EVs (which I want for Froakie, because although Greninja has slightly higher Attack, it seems to get much better Special moves), so I didn't have to worry about that.

Anyway, I'm going to need someone to trade with (or purchase another 3DS) in order to get my other Pokémon across. I am willing to pay with pretty much any Pokémon in the games. Starters and Torchics are the obvious first currency, but as the game duration wears on, I'd probably be willing to pay in version specifics as well, including Legendaries and version specific Mega-Evolution stones, once I get far enough (though getting those with regularity will mean cross-game starter boosting so I can tear through the game faster). Ideally, I'd be transferring over all the starters (from both Generations), and around a half dozen Torchics. My 3DS's friend code is 1547-6378-0895.

Oddly enough, I wound up going with X as my main instead of Y. The more I see the Stag, the more I like it (and the blue-theme color is preferable to red). The funny part of this is that the stag is clearly the more feminine of the options, and my secondary game is where I usually create my female character (and I like the Y-specific Pokémon more, on the whole). But, like I said, I'll be trading them away anyway.

Also, does anyone here have a 3DS XL, and, if so, how does it compare to the original DS? Are the larger pixels noticeable, or do the games look pretty much just as good?

WildRaubtier
10-13-2013, 07:26 AM
I hear tell they changed "Faint Attack" to "Feint Attack."

The progress we make in 13 years, huh.

Pike
10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Also, does anyone here have a 3DS XL, and, if so, how does it compare to the original DS? Are the larger pixels noticeable, or do the games look pretty much just as good?

Hux and I have XLs and it looks SUPER great, compared to the DS anyway. I haven't played a regular 3DS so I can't compare those.

Anyways yeah really fun game so far, enjoying it immensely!

Jinx
10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Chespin is cute, Quillidin is ugly as fuck, and Chesnaut is just stupid.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2013, 02:44 PM
People are currently working on figuring out the distribution of all the different Vivillon patterns:

http://i.imgur.com/5HhwqIj.png

http://i.imgur.com/bCVroKT.png

GTS is being flooded with them right now because everyone's trying to get the pattern they want.

Oh, I calculated that beating the E4 with an Amulet Coin gives you $136,640 each run, which helps a lot when you're blowing all your money on clothes and such. If you beat them with a team of level 100 Pokemon using Pay Day, you can double that number if you have enough PP. That would be much more boring though.

And now I'm going back to trying to catch 'em all.

Skyblade
10-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Ok, how do the Vivillon patterns work? I thought that was the evolution of the bug from the first forest. Where you acquire it changes what it looks like? If so, that's a pretty cool feature, but, I agree, kind of hard to find a pattern you like.

I think I'd look for an EoFFer who lived where I wanted mine to trade it to me. :)

Also: WHERE THE FRELL IS HARD MODE?! Black 2 and White 2 had it, and it was awesome. But I've seen no sign of it for this game (not even a Key System, which is where B2/W2 got it), and the game really needs it. Especially since Super Training can get you a properly trained starter for the first time in the series (in very little time). It's too easy.

Pike
10-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm ignoring all of this "My pokemon is better than your pokemon" bulltrout because all pokemon are cute and this game takes me back to being 14 and playing Red & Blue for the first time and thinking all pokemon were cute and you guys calling pokemon ugly are ruining it for me :colbert:

All of those butterfly things are super super cute and I WANT THEM ALL

Also I wish I had rolled a guy character, I wasn't thinking and rolled a girl and Hux rolled a boy but I wish we'd swapped those.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Where you acquire it changes what it looks like?

It's based on your region settings.

Pike
10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
What happens if you move or something and change your region settings? (Can you do that? Just my second day with the 3DS.)

Freya
10-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I didn't know they change! I just evolved my vivillon.

So I have a froakie, charmander and torchic. I wanted to even it out an go with bulbasaur but I couldn't reject my old friend charmander.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2013, 05:19 PM
What happens if you move or something and change your region settings? (Can you do that? Just my second day with the 3DS.)

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

I'm assuming it stays the way it was when you evolved it. Its pattern might actually be set based on your region settings when you catch Scatterbug/Spewpa.

Sephex
10-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Hux and I have XLs and it looks SUPER great, compared to the DS anyway. I haven't played a regular 3DS so I can't compare those.

Anyways yeah really fun game so far, enjoying it immensely!

I have an original and the XL. The XL is worth it by far. Get one even if you have an original.

Also, I didn't have much time to play it so far, but yeah, I am in the camp where I feel Nintendo knocked it out of the park. Very much enjoying this game.

Agent Proto
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
I just bought Pokemon Y, even though both games were widely available. I guess I liked Yveltal a bit more than Xerneas.

Skyblade
10-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Is there no more Shaking Grass? Did anyone complain about that feature? It was a fun way to find rare Pokémon and, even if Audino were way too common in 90% of the game's routes, they were still one of the best Exp sources in the series.

Freya
10-13-2013, 08:08 PM
See I preordered way before they announced any differences and my choice was "well Y not?"

Jinx
10-13-2013, 08:34 PM
From what I've read, the only way to get another pattern is to trade or to start your game over. It seems that once you've started, even if you change your settings on your DS, it will still give you the same pattern.

We have Polar. It's really pretty! Ocean is gorgeous, though. IT'S A SUNSET.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Ocean is also the rarest. ;_;

Skyblade
10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
See I preordered way before they announced any differences and my choice was "well Y not?"

The legendary Pokémon, who are the version mascots and one of the differences, were pretty much the very first thing announced about the game.

From what I've read, the only way to get another pattern is to trade or to start your game over. It seems that once you've started, even if you change your settings on your DS, it will still give you the same pattern.

I really, really hate it when they do this sort of thing. Not only do I have to trade with a dozen different versions to collect them all, but I'm only going to be able to be the Original Trainer of a single pattern. Phooey on that.

Freya
10-13-2013, 09:11 PM
There was X or Y and Legendaries. That was it. I worked at gamestop. I preordered it the first day. So no nothing was announced. Just that they were coming out.

Also I have the modern vivillion if people want set up a trading ring haha

Nicolas
10-13-2013, 11:24 PM
This game is probably the most enjoyable one since Gold/Silver for me. I've played quite a bit since it came out and just got past the third gym. So many choices for Pokemans.

Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)
Tyrunt (Rock/Dragon)
Lucario (Steel/Fighting)
Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Greninja (Water/Dark)

I want more. :( And didn't even know that butterfly had different looks! This is too much to take in. Wonder Trade will hopefully help get me one, though I think I have the base insect from someone in Japan. Hm... there's too much to think about in this game.

Madame Adequate
10-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Having spent most of the day doing nothing but Pokemoning, I'm thinking this is my favorite of all the games, and that includes my nostalgia-tinted view of Gen 1.

Litleo wrecks everything erry day 420 blaze ember it

Ultima Shadow
10-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Oh gawd, can't get a 3DS until the end of the month. So hard to wait. Argh!

Still haven't decided on a starter either. Or which version to go for for that matter. But I'm leaning towards X. :greenie:

Jinx
10-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Why can't I hold all of these Pokemans? :(

Also, where can I get a Litleo plz and thx you

Nicolas
10-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Why can't I hold all of these Pokemans? :(

Also, where can I get a Litleo plz and thx you

Apparently Route 22 near Santalune City, just like the lovely Riolu.

Night Fury
10-14-2013, 05:02 AM
I really wanna play this :( Someone employ me so I can make money and buy it kthnxbaii

Fynn
10-14-2013, 06:19 AM
I bede a 3DS so badly now! :(

Tigmafuzz
10-14-2013, 11:16 AM
2spooky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzFe1OYe2hU&t=53s) :erm:

Denmark
10-14-2013, 01:44 PM
sam's gonna zoom ahead of me in the story today unless she spends the whole day playing Pokemon-Amie (not much of a stretch tbh)

Jinx
10-14-2013, 03:33 PM
No, it's not. I got my hair did, but I'm looking for a clothing shop now that I have 100k Poke-yen. Can't seem to find one yet. :(

omg quagsire is just the cutest thiiiing

Has anyone been able to evolve their Amaura yet? I saw some video saying you have to do it at night and Amaura has to have complete happiness.

Nicolas
10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
No, it's not. I got my hair did, but I'm looking for a clothing shop now that I have 100k Poke-yen. Can't seem to find one yet. :(

omg quagsire is just the cutest thiiiing

Has anyone been able to evolve their Amaura yet? I saw some video saying you have to do it at night and Amaura has to have complete happiness.

I haven't read anything about that, but I've only found that it evolves at level 39 and only at night while Tyrunt is during the day at the same level. From what I've read.

Jinx
10-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Well, I think my Amaura was at level 38 this morning. He's at level 41 now, but that would explain why he hasn't evolved.

Denmark
10-14-2013, 04:29 PM
I'll have to play in the mornings before work to evolve my Tyrunt then, I guess. Oh no, how will you ever convince me to do that

Shauna
10-14-2013, 04:30 PM
I am taking my time with Pokemon X. Levelling up Bunnelby (he just became a Diggersby this morning, how exciting) and a bunch of other crap-tier Pokemon. Just dropped a few off in the day care because I am lazy.

I am more interested than I thought I'd be, which is nice.

Skyblade
10-14-2013, 04:48 PM
That reminds me, I'm going to need to transfer the fossils over. At what point do you get them?

After using two of my starters, I can comfortably say that Frogadier is better than Fennekin. Which, I guess isn't that surprising, as Frogadier is a more advanced form.:D Fennekin currently seems a little fragile to me. I mean, a Dunsparce two levels lower than it was able to take it down past half health with two Rages and a Rollout (if it had started with Rollout, Fennekin probably would have lost). Plus, it hasn't picked up its heavy hitting moves yet, so it's good Special Attack (which is of course how I trained it) isn't getting that much use right now. Hopefully the evolution will change that.

I am wondering what the best route to take Chespin will be. He's clearly a tank, with a defensive signature move and armor styled design. But I'm not sure what EV breakdown to use for him (I don't use tanks a ton). And I'm certainly not going to let him be trained through combat with random Pokémon, not after seeing firsthand just how big of a difference getting good EVs in on your starter can be. Anyone who has any advice on that will be welcome.

Also, is it just me, or this game one of the most money-stingy in the series? Not only are there a ton of things like clothes to buy, but even ignoring that, I keep running fairly short. There are so many Pokémon available on each Route that I wind up spending tons just on Pokéballs. I've even bought more regular Pokéballs versus Great Balls just because they still work pretty well, and money is so short.

I guess I could do more Super Training and hope I get more Stardusts to sell, but in terms of funding through trainer battles, it seems low for the series.

Is anyone else really happy with Litleo? After so many years of Pokémon that are 90% male, it's nice to see one where finding the male form is far harder than finding the female.

Pickup is awesome. Both Zigzagoon and Bunnelby can have it, and I'd keep them with it in your party until you start needing HM slaves (why are there no good HM slaves with Pickup?). You should not be able to take an Ultra Ball from a level 5 Pokémon's Pickup, but you can.

Madame Adequate
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Dunsparces in this game are OP if you've not got a type advantage, I've found.

Jinx
10-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I dunno, Skyblade. My Fennekin was always great. I've got a level 53 Delphox now and she's a fucking beast.

Skyblade
10-14-2013, 05:32 PM
I dunno, Skyblade. My Fennekin was always great. I've got a level 53 Delphox now and she's a smurfing beast.

Fennekin, not so much. Braixen, yes. Access to Flame Charge (physical sure, but the speed boost is awesome), and very quick access to its first Psychic move, Psybeam. Beastly little fox after the first evolution. Before that, it was lagging behind. It was still a higher level than my enemies (though nowhere near as high as it would be if I was soloing everything with it, since I traded for it), and fully EV trained, but not doing as well as I expected. Mostly due to a shallow movepool and frail defenses.

I'm about to pick up my Kanto starter (and trade across the others and the other evolution stones). I need to figure out where to get the fossils, though.

Jinx
10-14-2013, 05:36 PM
It's going to be glaringly obvious where to get your fossils, Skyblade. You can't miss it. Just calm down and enjoy the ride. You've still got a bit (although not terribly long).

Ultima Shadow
10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
After using two of my starters, I can comfortably say that Frogadier is better than Fennekin. Which, I guess isn't that surprising, as Frogadier is a more advanced form.:D Fennekin currently seems a little fragile to me. I mean, a Dunsparce two levels lower than it was able to take it down past half health with two Rages and a Rollout (if it had started with Rollout, Fennekin probably would have lost). Plus, it hasn't picked up its heavy hitting moves yet, so it's good Special Attack (which is of course how I trained it) isn't getting that much use right now. Hopefully the evolution will change that.Yeah, I think I might end up with the ninja frog as well. It's fast, has pretty good special attack and can learn things like Hydro Pump, Ice Beam and Dark Pulse. The flinch rate from Dark Pulse is especially nice when combined with the high speed.

I am wondering what the best route to take Chespin will be. He's clearly a tank, with a defensive signature move and armor styled design. But I'm not sure what EV breakdown to use for him (I don't use tanks a ton). And I'm certainly not going to let him be trained through combat with random Pokémon, not after seeing firsthand just how big of a difference getting good EVs in on your starter can be. Anyone who has any advice on that will be welcome.

I mostly develop sets for PvP battles and I haven't even played the game yet, but... if I were to make a Chesnaught setup, I would probably go for almost pure defense. Like... 252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Attack. Of course, that would be in combination with a moveset that uses Leech Seed, Spike Shield, Substitute and some good physical STAB move. A stalling physical tank that mainly relies on Leech Seed + Spike Shield to wear the opponents down.

But if that feels too slow for AI battles, you could put 100 or so from Def into Attack. I would go for 252 HP in any build, however. And both Leech Seed and Spike Shield should probably still be used as well, though Substitute could be replaced by another attacking move.

...speculating, going by what I know so far at least. But leech seed-stalling is seriously not to be underestimated. :monster:

Edit: if Chesnaught can learn Drain Punch, have that as the attacking move and slap on a Big Root as held item for additional fun. Massive bulk, 130% Leech Seed recovery, 80% Drain Punch recovery and a Protect-like move with potential recoil = you pretty much only have to fear special attackers and physical attackers with Flying-type moves and/or Leech Seed immunity.

Skyblade
10-14-2013, 06:37 PM
It's going to be glaringly obvious where to get your fossils, Skyblade. You can't miss it. Just calm down and enjoy the ride. You've still got a bit (although not terribly long).

I am enjoying the ride. Hence why I'm only on the second starter collection. I'm just glad they made the fossils obvious, I'm sick of hunting them down in caves and desert fortresses.

Speaking of caves, how are they? Last generation GameFreak finally proved that they can make a Pokémon more annoying than Zubat, and I'm worried that they may make caves even worse to trek through.

Sephex
10-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Man, you guys are WAY past me. Had a busy weekend. Then again, I play Pokemon games slooooooooooowly. Glad to see many of you are enjoying it too!

Freya
10-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I just beat the second d gym leader. I took advantage of Shauna healing me in the first forest so I grinded every Pokemon I had to 10 before I left so it's been easy mode since then

Denmark
10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I beat the 5th gym before going to bed last night. It was the most difficult for me of the gyms thus far, though that's because I didn't go in with a major type advantage. I still won without much trouble, though.

Sephex
10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I beat the 5th gym before going to bed last night. It was the most difficult for me of the gyms thus far, though that's because I didn't go in with a major type advantage. I still won without much trouble, though.

Uh, I might be close to the second gym...

*silently and shamefully falls down 7000 flights of stairs*

Jinx
10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
All of the gyms have been pretty cool so far, but holy shit that Psychic Gym is just STUNNING. Seriously, hats off to whoever designed it. It's gorgeous.

Nicolas
10-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Hm. The time between the first two gyms was a bit on the long side, which was great. That might be due to the fact that I take my time with everything. After that though, I'm at the beginning of the Fourth gym and am anxious to play during the day to finally evolve my Tyrunt. After seeing that third gym, I can't wait to see the others. totes excite

Skyblade
10-15-2013, 01:17 AM
I think they missed an opportunity with Team Flare. Mega-Evolution should have been discovered by the villains. Think about it. It would make them more powerful and threatening story-wise (and give you tougher fights), much like Cipher controlling Shadow Pokémon. It could also set up a "hunt down the Seven Sages" type quest from Black/White where you track down certain high ranking members and win a boss battle against their team, culminating with a Mega-Pokémon, to claim their Mega-Evolution stones. Right now, Team Flare seems fairly forgettable. Hopefully they'll improve as the story goes along.

Tigmafuzz
10-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Man, you guys are WAY past me. Had a busy weekend. Then again, I play Pokemon games slooooooooooowly. Glad to see many of you are enjoying it too!

My first run took about 12 hours, this time I'm playing normally and I got to the second gym around 7 hours.

And I've got my ocean pattern Vivillon :bigsmile:

Skyblade
10-15-2013, 04:07 AM

My first run took about 12 hours, this time I'm playing normally and I got to the second gym around 7 hours.

You already beat the game?!

Also, if you're taking a second run, did you delete your saves and Pokémon (instead of trading them to an EoFFer, especially the version exclusives), or did they finally add New Game+?

Tasura
10-15-2013, 08:02 AM
So I've pretty much played this all weekend long, yay.

I just completed the third gym, and my team consists of Delphox (Level 56), Aegislash (Level 41), Blaziken (Level 51), Venusaur (Level 43) and Geninja (Level 45). My 6th slot is a floating slot for training purposes.

I've not really hurt for money since getting access to the Chateau, cause I was grinding that a lot, I've got 300k right now xD. I'm also a Marquis (4th rank). I've also gotten all 30 training medals on 2 Pokemon, and maxed affection on them as well.

As others have said I thoroughly enjoy this game, it is by far my favourite of the series.

Freya
10-15-2013, 08:08 AM
I haven't gotten too much further but this game has me addicted

Pike
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Dumb question: If you swap out SD cards can you start a new Pokemon file while keeping your first file on your first SD card?

Tasura
10-15-2013, 11:18 AM
So, I found a 'cheap' Ditto on the GTS, so now I can start breeding starters for people (All the Gen 1s, Fennekin and Froakie, and Chespin as soon as a Fennekin egg hateches). And my Delphox seems to love Ditto something fierce cause they've already popped out almost a dozen eggs.

Dumb question: If you swap out SD cards can you start a new Pokemon file while keeping your first file on your first SD card?

And no, the game is saved onto the game card itself and not the SD card, so there's no way to have 2 files from teh same game without restarting and losing everything.

Tigmafuzz
10-15-2013, 12:39 PM

You already beat the game?!

Also, if you're taking a second run, did you delete your saves and Pokémon (instead of trading them to an EoFFer, especially the version exclusives), or did they finally add New Game+?

The game doesn't take very long if you aren't playing normally, man.

And no, there's no New Game+ or even Challenge Mode. Clean save. I gave the version exclusives to Sa­rah, because she has Y.

Pike
10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
New dumb question: is there a way to get a charizard mega evolution stone if you didn't get the charmander from professor what's his name?

Tasura
10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
New dumb question: is there a way to get a charizard mega evolution stone if you didn't get the charmander from professor what's his name?

1 million poke dollars from the dude who owns the Stone store in Lumiose. That may sound like a lot, but I've made near 400k just from grinding the Battle Chateau every couple of hours. Also, it may go down in price or something later, I dunno, I'm not much farther passed the third gym.

Sephex
10-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Got past the second Gym last night. Not sure if I am going to play today because I got the Wind Waker HD a week prior (which is a very good version aside from the obvious--long story short: the Swift Sail, more button mapping, and less time, faster animations, and less time spent messing with your inventory MASSIVELY improve the game). Maybe I'll play both at the same time?! NINTENDO GEAR?!?!

Pike
10-15-2013, 01:01 PM

1 million poke dollars from the dude who owns the Stone store in Lumiose. That may sound like a lot, but I've made near 400k just from grinding the Battle Chateau every couple of hours. Also, it may go down in price or something later, I dunno, I'm not much farther passed the third gym.

Good stuff, thanks bro.

Jinx
10-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Oh sweet Xerneas, you are stunning. And you are mine.

What exactly is "playing normally?"

Tigmafuzz
10-15-2013, 01:16 PM
You know, normally. The way people usually play RPGs. Not just breezing through the game. The difference between the storyline of Fallout 3 and spending 75 hours roaming the wasteland.

Jinx
10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I've spent time roaming around and finding lots of goodies and what not, and I'm still going through the game fairly fast. I have something like 30 hours and I'm just got Xerneas, so I'm pretty sure I'm close to beating the game.

Skyblade
10-15-2013, 01:27 PM
I've spent time roaming around and finding lots of goodies and what not, and I'm still going through the game fairly fast. I have something like 30 hours and I'm just got Xerneas, so I'm pretty sure I'm close to beating the game.

If you want to restart, I'll happily take Xerneas off your hands and/or hold on to your starters so you can get different ones. :)

Still trading across for my own starters. Getting a female of the Kanto starters is a pain in the neck, especially with the battle right before you get them.

For those who have gotten far or beaten the game, how is Mega-Evolution?

Jinx
10-15-2013, 01:34 PM
From what I've used of it, it's not really that impressive to me. Definitely not necessary.

and lol no bro

Tasura
10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I have 33 hours in, and I've only cleared the third gym. But I spent a few hours on Pokemon-Amie and Super Training, and a few hours in the Battle Chateau, the other extraneous hours were spent hunting.

Also, Skyblade, given my new breeding capabilities I can try and breed you a female if you'd like, though you'd probably get it faster your way.

Denmark
10-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm at 24 hours and evolved my Tyrunt this morning. I'm holding off advancing the story for now because I want to fully Super Train my Absol (lv 14, never seen a battle) and then start leveling him up. But I have to be at work :(

Madame Adequate
10-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Amulet Coin + O-Power money boost = 1% as heck

Tasura
10-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Amulet Coin + O-Power money boost = 1% as heck

Quite! Especially when going through the Battle Chateau, hell, even without those the Battle Chateau gives you loads of cash.

Nicolas
10-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Mega Evolution is pretty useful depending on how you play. For example: My Charizard is normally a great Special Sweeper. When I use the Charizardite X, he gains roughly 20 to his Attack stat and becomes a better Physical Sweeper. So depending on how you set up your pokemon (I'm setting up a Lucario to be a Physical Sweeper thanks to the heavy Attack boost from Mega), it can benefit you greatly. For others, it can just mean a lovely new set of moves, abilities, and typing to take advantage of.

What is crazy is that you get so many great and overpowered pokemon so early on in the game, mostly the Dragons. I can't wait to try out the Sylveon set up Eevees I'm going to be breeding. Also all the other ones I'm breeding for the other evolutions too. :D

There's so much to do in this game already, I'm wondering how much more is in the postgame.

Jinx
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Has anyone been using Goomy? I caught one, but I put her in a box.

I named my Goomy 'Goomy'.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-15-2013, 04:58 PM
I want this game so bad. For anyone who has seen both games, which version do you like best? I'm leaning towards Pokemon X right now.

Tasura
10-15-2013, 05:00 PM
I want this game so bad. For anyone who has seen both games, which version do you like best? I'm leaning towards Pokemon X right now.

Given the enhanced GTS and the impending Bank/Transporter, all that really matters, is what Legendary you want first. So, Deer, or Bird?

Nicolas
10-15-2013, 05:20 PM

I'm not even there yet. I want a Goomy so bad. The fact that the names for it are Goomy, Sliggoo, and Goodra... I can't even help but want the beautiful creature. Why must you be so far ahead. ;-;

Madame Adequate
10-15-2013, 05:59 PM

You are a terrible person and you must use your Goomy at all times because Goomy is the best Pokemon ever. :colbert:

Tigmafuzz
10-15-2013, 08:28 PM

I like X better because of the better-looking Mega Mewtwo plus Houndoom.

Goomy is GOAT. Goodra's a sweeping machine.

Skyblade
10-15-2013, 08:33 PM

I like X better because of the better-looking Mega Mewtwo plus Houndoom.

I'm not trying to defend Mega Mewtwo-Y and the battlecap opener or anything, but am I really the only person who thinks that Mega-Mewtwo-X looks even worse?

Jinx
10-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I think Mega Mewtwo Y looks good. Not just acceptable, but GOOD. And I don't like Mega Mewtwo X at all.

Skyblade
10-15-2013, 08:41 PM
I think Mega Mewtwo Y looks good. Not just acceptable, but GOOD. And I don't like Mega Mewtwo X at all.

Thank you!

I agree, Mega Mewtwo Y looks good. It's not perfect, but it looks like an evolution of Mewtwo should look. Smaller, weaker, less intimidating. Because it isn't a physical Pokémon, it destroys you with its mind. The only embellishments go to its head, which contains the brain that is going to end you in a few seconds.

Mega Mewtwo X just looks wrong. Bulkier and far more physical. It's everything Mewtwo isn't. And the lines of its "bulging muscles" on its hips and wrists just look stupid.

Mega Evolution is pretty useful depending on how you play. For example: My Charizard is normally a great Special Sweeper. When I use the Charizardite X, he gains roughly 20 to his Attack stat and becomes a better Physical Sweeper. So depending on how you set up your pokemon (I'm setting up a Lucario to be a Physical Sweeper thanks to the heavy Attack boost from Mega), it can benefit you greatly. For others, it can just mean a lovely new set of moves, abilities, and typing to take advantage of.

Do the Mega-forms actually get new movesets?

What is crazy is that you get so many great and overpowered pokemon so early on in the game, mostly the Dragons. I can't wait to try out the Sylveon set up Eevees I'm going to be breeding. Also all the other ones I'm breeding for the other evolutions too. :D

Actually, I just think the game is great for giving you so much variety period, good Pokémon or not. I mean, it seems that every Route has nearly a dozen different Pokémon on it, with very few being duplicates. When you have 50 Pokémon in your Pokédex and you've only left the second city, things are good.

There's so much to do in this game already, I'm wondering how much more is in the postgame.

Let's hope there's a lot. Black and White were great about that.

Nicolas
10-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Essentially, Mega Evolutions are the temporary in-battle power-ups. They only bring about new Abilities and, for some, Typing. You keep the same moveset, so part of it is planning ahead on what roll you want for your Mega Evolved Pokemon since different stats are affected for each one. There are limitations in how many Pokemon you can Mega Evolve during the course of a battle. I believe it's only 1.

I do love the variety as well. It keeps so many options for a team wide open.

From what it looks like, a majority of the collection process begins after the whole Elite Four. I'm curious if the whole of Kalos is open before or after the Elite Four like Black/White's region was.

Pike
10-16-2013, 02:20 AM
All I really want is to learn Fly.

I've put about 30 hours into this game so far. I think it's the most I've put into any Pokemon game since Gold/Silver. I messed around with third gen but not to this extent, and I never played 4th/5th.

Night Fury
10-16-2013, 02:46 AM
I usually clock around 120-150 hours on a Pokemon save before I've kind of done it all.

Anywhoooo, maybe I will have this game sooooon :D

Pike
10-16-2013, 03:38 AM
Yeah I had more than a few hundred each in my first and second gen saves. Somewhere in the 400 range wouldn't surprise me. I can totally see this game being up there as well :shifty:

Freya
10-16-2013, 06:31 AM
http://www.serebii.net/xy/pokemon/686.png

Apparently Inkay will only level up at 30+ when you play your 3DS upside down to a Malamar

http://www.serebii.net/xy/pokemon/687.png

Pike
10-16-2013, 07:19 AM
I heard that and now I want to level my Inkay again

Tasura
10-16-2013, 07:32 AM
The 3DS has to be rotated AS it's leveling, so if it isn't in battle and it levels from Exp.Share it could be hard to time.

Freya
10-16-2013, 07:45 AM
So whenever you finsih a fight to turn your 3ds upside down each time until the exp sharing is over :p

Sephex
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
I am about to take on the third Gym. I spent a portion of my free time yesterday playing Wind Waker HD, as I predicted. Still really enjoying this game. Something else I noticed last night is that this game has some amazing music. There have been some cool Pokemon jams before, and there are typical Pokemon structured songs, but there are other tracks that just sound downright magical like Route 10 and the Mirror Cave.

Aulayna
10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
So yesterday I got a Haunter through Wonder Trade (which evolved into Gengar due to being traded). I thought I'd lucked out by that point, but then later on I also got Froakie (or whatever the water starter is called).

Slothy
10-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but I thought you guys might want to be warned about it: Potential Save-Destroying Bug Found in Pokemon X and Y | The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128740-Potential-Save-Destroying-Bug-Found-in-Pokemon-X-and-Y)

Jinx
10-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I got Haunter in a cave!

Oh, btw, guys--when you beat the game, Shauna will trade you for whichever starter she had because her starter is a dirty slut in daycare.

Sephex--for some reason, my absolute favourite song is the song when you go in the connector buildings. It's so laid back or whatever.

and omg i am rolling in poke-yen

Shauna
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I will never not be confused when people mention Shauna in this thread.

Okay, not confused, excited that people are maybe talking about me.

:(

Madame Adequate
10-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm just trying to get Shauna and Serena into bed with me at the same time. Do you reckon if I get a Zygarde that would do it?

Sephex
10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I got Haunter in a cave!

Oh, btw, guys--when you beat the game, Shauna will trade you for whichever starter she had because her starter is a dirty slut in daycare.

Sephex--for some reason, my absolute favourite song is the song when you go in the connector buildings. It's so laid back or whatever.

Yeah, I enjoy that one as well. Like I said, a lot of the music is so awesome in this one. I felt they have been stepping it up for awhile now, but like most aspects of these versions, they really raised the bar.

Tasura
10-16-2013, 03:00 PM
So, as an update to my previous mention of breeding, I now have a dozen of each starter, Gen 1 and Gen 6. So if any one needs one let me know :D.

Aulayna
10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
So, as an update to my previous mention of breeding, I now have a dozen of each starter, Gen 1 and Gen 6. So if any one needs one let me know :D.

amg need!

Tasura
10-16-2013, 03:32 PM

amg need!

Find me in chat or on Facebook. Oh wait, you refused to accept my friend request because I dissed LoL >=(. This is in no way me saying I won't trade them to you, but if you had accepted my friend request, you'd be one of the first they were offered too =P.

Skyblade
10-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I got Haunter in a cave!

Yeah, I enjoy that one as well. Like I said, a lot of the music is so awesome in this one. I felt they have been stepping it up for awhile now, but like most aspects of these versions, they really raised the bar.

And yet despite their progress, they're still held back by the same problems that have been occurring for generations.

Take the trade-evolution items. You get precisely one of each, and they're consumed by the evolution. Why? What benefit does that have to gameplay? Why restrict/consume items in such a way? Do people only want to evolve a single version of that Pokémon?

Event Pokémon and genders. Despite how common Dittos are (just check the GTS if you haven't reached them yet), GameFreak insists on making so many Pokémon who are (for all practical purposes) all-male. Or the event Torchic, who is always male, just so that its Hidden Ability won't be passed down. Again, why? What good does restricting the breeding on these things do? Most players don't breed until postgame anyway (when, again, Ditto), but even for those who do, why restrict the Hidden Abilities that way?

Freya
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Its called a challenge to catch them all. Not everyone can be the very best.

Slothy
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
My Mom has a 3DS so I cracked and bought Pokemon Y. I now walk among you nerds.

Aulayna
10-16-2013, 03:53 PM

amg need!

Find me in chat or on Facebook. Oh wait, you refused to accept my friend request because I dissed LoL >=(. This is in no way me saying I won't trade them to you, but if you had accepted my friend request, you'd be one of the first they were offered too =P.

I don't even know who you are on Facebook :p I decline friend requests of names I don't recognise so it was probably that ^^

Skyblade
10-16-2013, 04:14 PM

There's challenge, and then there's poor game design.

While I'm at it, I'm going to go on a rant against IVs. IVs are one of the worst RPG mechanics of all time. Yes, it makes each Pokémon different and distinct. It's also just simply bad from a mechanics standpoint. 31 points, in every stat, determined entirely by the RNG. That's over 10% of a stat for pretty much every stat of almost every Pokémon in the game. Yes, you can manipulate them somewhat with breeding. Provided that you have high-IV parents to breed in the beginning. Otherwise, too bad. Because, basically, if the game doesn't want you to get good IVs, you're screwed and there is nothing you can do about it.

The event Pokémon. I still don't get this. People whine about companies making "on-disc DLC" all the damn time, and yet no one complains about the event Pokémon, which are exactly the same thing. They make content which is completely unobtainable outside of their events, which are themselves location and time specific.

Nicolas
10-16-2013, 04:23 PM

There's challenge, and then there's poor game design.

While I'm at it, I'm going to go on a rant against IVs. IVs are one of the worst RPG mechanics of all time. Yes, it makes each Pokémon different and distinct. It's also just simply bad from a mechanics standpoint. 31 points, in every stat, determined entirely by the RNG. That's over 10% of a stat for pretty much every stat of almost every Pokémon in the game. Yes, you can manipulate them somewhat with breeding. Provided that you have high-IV parents to breed in the beginning. Otherwise, too bad. Because, basically, if the game doesn't want you to get good IVs, you're screwed and there is nothing you can do about it.

The event Pokémon. I still don't get this. People whine about companies making "on-disc DLC" all the damn time, and yet no one complains about the event Pokémon, which are exactly the same thing. They make content which is completely unobtainable outside of their events, which are themselves location and time specific.

Yes, IVs are a flawed mechanic that seem arbitrary at best. Hidden numbers, I hate you. You can manipulate the IVs in your benefit through breeding though. Also, they don't complain about the Event Pokemon because nobody pays for it. That's it. End of story. No reason at all to complain.

Also... I caught me a Goomy. I'm... so in love. Plus it's description as the weakest Dragon is kinda funny.

Jinx
10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I've been chilling with my Goomy, who is now Sliggoo (but still called Goomy). I told Denmark that a wonderful name for a male Goomy would be Mr. Magoo.

Tasura
10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
So, because I am insane and apparently have nothing better to do with my time, I'm also going to breed a dozen of each fossil pokemon. And since it seems eggs are tradeable, you'll get an egg, unless I get exceedingly bored and hatch them, but they take 4+ times as long to hatch as the starters, even with a Torkoal in the lead.

Nicolas
10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I figured a good name for a female Goomy would be Goomhilda. But this is totally awesome and relevant:

Tas is the local breeder it seems. ;p

Skyblade
10-16-2013, 05:46 PM
I figured a good name for a female Goomy would be Goomhilda. But this is totally awesome and relevant:

Tas is the local breeder it seems. ;p

I... I approve. Not a naming convention I would have thought of, probably (certainly not for Goomy). But as a huge fan of the Arthurian legends (my favorite is the tale of Sir Gawain and Lady Ragnelle), I cannot help but approve of the sheer magnificence and care in that team.

Quindiana Jones
10-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Goowain is pure genius.

Jinx
10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa196/narcissisticprincess09/20131016_111141_zps1f528c78.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/narcissisticprincess09/media/20131016_111141_zps1f528c78.jpg.html)

Skyblade
10-16-2013, 06:57 PM
That name, unfortunately, means nothing to me. :( Who is Sarah Cobb, and why is it a fitting name for an Octillery?

I very, very rarely nickname my Pokémon. I used to do it all the time, but only to make their actual names with correct capitalization (PIKACHU became Pikachu with my nicknames). Really special Pokémon sometime, but otherwise, I tend to prefer the game's names.

Also, I hate that you can't un-nickname a Pokémon. Would that be such a hard change to make?

Jinx
10-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Name Rater, bro.

Also, other people in this thread will get the joke.

Skyblade
10-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Name Rater, bro.

Doesn't work, unfortunately. At least, not when I last checked (haven't tried in this generation).

Try taking a nicknamed Frosslass and renaming it "Frosslass". It won't work, as the "lass" contains another word which Nintendo considers offensive and unsuitable if you should ever use it online.

Besides, if I rename an Eevee back to Eevee, it's still a new nickname. I'd have to rename it again when it evolves. Once you have nicknamed a Pokémon, you cannot un-nickname it. The "Nicknamed" flag (little bit flag in the code of each Pokémon) is doomed to be checked forever, and I hate that.

Also, other people in this thread will get the joke.

Slothy
10-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Excellent joke. Five stars. Would read again.

Not ruining it for anybody. Nope, not me.

Jinx
10-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Fixed.

damn you

Skyblade
10-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Ahem. Of course I knew what we were all talking about.

So I might as well ask another question that's been bugging me: What's up with Goomy?

I mean, sure it's a cute design, even if odd for a pure-dragon. But, is there anything else special about it? Or are people just falling all over it because it's cute?

If so, why haven't the other cute Pokémon from these games been getting any love?

Also, Greninja gets possibly one of the best offensive Hidden Abilities in the game: Protean. Some people have said you can get Hidden Abilities by breeding, but the starters are available in the Safari Zone, and you can get their Hidden Abilities there. Protean changes Greninja's type to that of the attack he is going to use. Before he uses it. So he gets STAB on everything. With 120 base speed, 100 base attack, and 90 base special attack, he is going to be a very dangerous little ninja, hitting fast, getting STAB on every move he has, and constantly shifting his defenses.

Sephex
10-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I never name my Pokemon. Everyone can get mad at me now.

Slothy
10-16-2013, 09:09 PM
I was disappointed to find that names with butt in them aren't accepted.

Jinx
10-16-2013, 09:15 PM
I tried to name my Mr. Mime 'Pervert' and the 'Pedo' and it wouldn't let either. I had to end up going with 'Diddle'. :(

Sephex
10-16-2013, 09:47 PM
I tried to name my Mr. Mime 'Pervert' and the 'Pedo' and it wouldn't let either. I had to end up going with 'Diddle'. :(

Why be upset? That's the best one!

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-16-2013, 09:48 PM
I will be getting Pokemon X tomorrow. :D

Freya
10-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Bobby you can be my trade buddy then i have y

Jinx
10-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Omg, I am trying to evolve my Sliggoo into Goodra but it's not raining anywhere. :(

Slothy
10-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Omg, I am trying to evolve my Sliggoo into Goodra but it's not raining anywhere. :(

Sounds like things have gotten a bit more complex than the last time I played a Pokemon game.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Just got my hands on Pokemon X. Now I just have to force the person who is borrowing my 3DS to give it back so I can talk about the game in this thread and feel cool.

Sephex
10-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Beat the third and fourth gym's today. Since I had a Charzard with Mega Evolution, I basically one shot everything in there. I am not really bragging, I just find it amusing. I really wish they actually programmed different dialogue depending on how well/bad you fought them. Not an actual gripe, but it would be amusing if the Gym Leader said, "Uh...well...now I know how average trainers on routes feel!"

Nicolas
10-17-2013, 03:34 AM

Sounds like things have gotten a bit more complex than the last time I played a Pokemon game.

Yeah, it's quite complex for a couple of new ones.

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Beat the third and fourth gym's today. Since I had a Charzard with Mega Evolution, I basically one shot everything in there. I am not really bragging, I just find it amusing. I really wish they actually programmed different dialogue depending on how well/bad you fought them. Not an actual gripe, but it would be amusing if the Gym Leader said, "Uh...well...now I know who average trainers on routes feel!"

The difficulty in this version is extremely lacking. The sheer variety of Pokémon available gives you a whole host of excellent choices, and Super Training has made EV training laughable simple. Combine that with the Mega-Evolutions for the starters and Torchic, and it just gets even more pathetic.

And the game doesn't even have Challenge mode.

My speed-runs for Starters/Fossils/Version Exclusives from Pokémon X are the only challenge I'm getting out of the game. Otherwise, Froakie can solo everything.

Also, apparently each individual has their own Safari Zone. It has its own type and three Pokémon, and those Pokémon are set in stone. But you can visit the Safari Zone of your friends. So make friends with everyone, to pick up as many different Safari Zones as possible.

Slothy
10-17-2013, 03:53 AM

To be fair, the only proper Pokemon games I've played before were Red and Leaf Green. By comparison I'm sure a lot of them are quite different.

Tasura
10-17-2013, 05:17 AM
Also, I hate that you can't un-nickname a Pokémon. Would that be such a hard change to make?

Again, Name Rater dude. You can rename any Pokemon that wasn't from a trade, and as long as it doesn't have what Nintendo would consider 'profanity' in it. And that's how it's been in every Pokemon game I've used the Name Rater in.

10-17-2013, 01:14 PM
For those who didn't share them, you should add your 3DS code here (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/147207-official-eyes-final-fantasy-all-console-codes-thread.html) so that I can friend you guys. Added everyone who did share their codes so far! DO IT!?

I am being a friend whore, so sue me.

Pike
10-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Some guy wonder traded me a Fennekin. :squee: I feel a little bad about sending him a Wobuffet. :shobon:

Tasura
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
I should do that with some of my extra starters, make someones day xD.

On a side note, when you reach the rank of Marquis in the Chateau Gym Leaders can start showing up, and at Duke, the Elite 4. But I believe it's only after you've beaten them in the story, as I haven't seen any of the Elite 4 or last 4 Gym Leaders yet.

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 03:04 PM
For those who didn't share them, you should add your 3DS code here (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/147207-official-eyes-final-fantasy-all-console-codes-thread.html) so that I can friend you guys. Added everyone who did share their codes so far! DO IT!?

I am being a friend whore, so sue me.

Being a friend whore is honestly a great idea in this game. Even if you never actually do anything with the people in-game, you still get access to their Safari Zones and whatever three Pokémon they bring with them (if the person has not yet beaten the Elite Four and unlocked their own Safari Zone, it will only have two Pokémon when you visit it, and the third will unlock once they do).

Smogon actually built a table of its members, friend codes, and what Pokémon they have in their Safari Zones. They even marked them for who has Dittos or Kalos Pokémon. Also, remember that Pokémon picked up in the Safari Zone can have their Hidden Abilities.

As a further incentive, Pokémon captured in the Safari Zone apparently always have at least two IVs at 31 (which two are random though). And the one-time legendaries apparently always have at least three IVs at 31 (again, which three are random). So, yeah, IVs still suck, but at least GameFreak is doing something to fix that. And Friend Whoring is a part of it.

I was gifted a new 3DS (my old one works, but was heavily damaged in a car wreck), so I'll get you all the friend code for it as soon as I make it.

Nicolas
10-17-2013, 03:24 PM

To be fair, the only proper Pokemon games I've played before were Red and Leaf Green. By comparison I'm sure a lot of them are quite different.

True, but the most difficult ones really came about in Gold/Silver and that's having the proper level of Happiness and Time of Day for evolutions. The other introductions after were just learning a specific move type or location based. X/Y seem to take that a step further and have Must Be Raining (Sliggoo), Max Affection and Move Type (Sylveon), and Turn Your System Upside Down (Malimar).

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Another minor change that I would like to see to the series is Pokédex transfers. If you link/trade with another version (X linking with Y, for example), I'd like to be able to pick up the other version's Pokédex data for the Pokémon you've caught. I always liked the different entries and the lore and information they provided about Pokémon and the world, and it sucks only being able to get the one particular entry for your game.

Also, Exp Share is now completely overpowered to a ridiculous degree. Yet it makes training the team so much easier and more viable than it has ever been in the past. It even helps with difficulty, by keeping the others in your party leveled enough to use, but not so high they're overpowered (as a single Pokémon soloing everything would be). It's a great addition to the series, and I'm glad they took this route.

Denmark
10-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Beat the E4/Champ last night with my insanely-vulnerable-to-a-good-Fairy-or-Fighting-type team (Greninja, Yveltal, Absol, Tyrantrum, Lucario, Doublade to give it experience). Found and caught Mewtwo today (with my Master Ball; oh well).

My Absol is an Absol-ute beast (heh). I max Super Trained him in Attack and Speed (with no concern for IVs or Nature; I forget what the Nature is but I know it's not helpful or hindering to the Attack stat) and he just critical one-hits everything (crit chance increased by max affection + ability (Super Luck) + high-crit moves). Beast. Now I just need to find his Mega Stone.

I'm kinda played out on the game for now so I won't play too much today, most likely. We'll see.

Tasura
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Absol's Mega Stone is supposedly in Kiloude city, and someone gives it to you.

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Beat the E4/Champ last night with my insanely-vulnerable-to-a-good-Fairy-or-Fighting-type team (Greninja, Yveltal, Absol, Tyrantrum, Lucario, Doublade to give it experience). Found and caught Mewtwo today (with my Master Ball; oh well).

Heh. Awesome little team. I always try to catch the legendaries with Luxury Balls though. Hard to do, but by far the best ball type in the game.

My Absol is an Absol-ute beast (heh). I max Super Trained him in Attack and Speed (with no concern for IVs or Nature; I forget what the Nature is but I know it's not helpful or hindering to the Attack stat) and he just critical one-hits everything (crit chance increased by max affection + ability (Super Luck) + high-crit moves). Beast. Now I just need to find his Mega Stone.

Each Nature increases one stat by 10%, and decreases another by 10% (although there are five which increase/decrease the same stat, cancelling themselves out and being therefore neutral natures). You can actually check this in game. The name of the Pokémon's stat will be a different color if it is adjusted by Nature. Red is increased, Blue is decreased.

You need to get a Scope Lens or Razor Claw to increase that critical chance even further.

Tasura
10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
You need to get a Scope Lens or Razor Claw to increase that critical chance even further.

He wouldn't be able to Mega-Evolve it if it was holding something other than it's Mega Stone.

Jinx
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
He knows all of this, Skyblade.

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
He knows all of this, Skyblade.

I've still seen plenty of people unaware of the change to Steel. And he did seem to be ignoring the change to Absol's Ability.

Edit: If you are running a Mega-Absol, you almost definitely want Sucker Punch over Night Slash. Magic Bounce completely prevents the opponent from using non-damaging moves on Mega-Absol, so Sucker Punch gets a huge boost. It's easy to predict that the opponent will attack when that's it's only option.

Agent Proto
10-17-2013, 06:31 PM
I've just got an X-exclusive Clauncher out of Wonder Trade for a Swanna. :D (I have Pokemon Y, btw)

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I've just got an X-exclusive Clauncher out of Wonder Trade for a Swanna. :D (I have Pokemon Y, btw)

I haven't gotten any really special Pokémon, but I have picked up plenty from other regions. Getting non-US parents is always welcome for breeding with the Masuda method. Get me more shinies.

Pike
10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
what is the masuda method?

Freya
10-17-2013, 08:22 PM
You guys seem way more into it than me. I just like catching and fighting pokamans

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 08:35 PM
what is the masuda method?

If you breed two Pokémon from differing countries, you get a highly increased chance of getting a shiny from the egg.

It's named for the game designer who put it in the series back in Diamond and Pearl, and it has stayed since then.

It boosts it by 8 times the usual amount, bringing the chance to essentially 1 in 1000. Which is a far cry better than the usual chances. Also, if B2/W2's Shiny Charm comes back, that brings it to an even better 1 in 500, because the Shiny Charm worked with the Masuda method.

This game also helpfully identifies Pokémon from other countries for you with a tag by their level (and usually names in differing languages). I have an Azumarill and a Fletchling with "JPN" by their levels. :)

Jinx
10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
They already raised the shiny rate to 1/1000 for this game. So presumably thr Masuda Method's percentage is even higher now.

Also, how awesome so many people on this forum are friends? :D makes that much easier.

Pike
10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
thanks for the in-depth explanation Skyblade :D it sounds awesome and I'll be looking into that.

10-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Guys and gals, I want more friend codes. :mad2:

Skyblade
10-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Guys and gals, I want more friend codes. :mad2:

I have two.

Number one: 1547-6378-0895
Number two: 0490-5832-0785

You'll find me on both, interchangeably. I don't often hook into the internet though, so if you want to trade, PM me or something.

I've been lurking on the Smogon forums and came across some interesting discussion: Apparently Mega-Mewtwo X's enormous attack stat is nigh-useless. Mewtwo does not appear to have acquired any new physical moves. His current best STAB Fighting move is Brick Break. Psychic wise, he has more options, in Zen Headbut and Psycho Cut, but both are largely inferior to Psystrike, even on Mega-Mewtwo X. And apart from that, his viable physical movepool is looking relatively shallow and predictable. It's looking like this version is going to be around more to give Mewtwo additional bulk through slightly better physical defense and a better defensive typing than actually increasing his ability to sweep at all. At least, in the competitive meta-game, according to the theorycrafting thus far.

I don't put full faith in that, as I think he can get the elemental punches, Earthquake, and Drain Punch, so he has some viability. But his lack of set up options and good secondary STAB have people worried.

Sephex
10-17-2013, 11:47 PM
4167-4486-9881 is mine if anyone is interested!

http://i.imgur.com/7yAv569.gif

Ultima Shadow
10-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Some guy wonder traded me a Fennekin. :squee: I feel a little bad about sending him a Wobuffet. :shobon:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel2.png
"Don't disrespect Wobbuffet. It's
the greatest pokemon there ever was."

Wobbuffet vs Wobbuffet! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_3F1-CO5g)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel6.png
"Back in the good old days, it could
create literally endless battles.
If both Wobbuffets had a high
defensive EV spread and leftovers
as held item, they would even
heal off the struggle damage
each turn after exhausting their
moves, meaning the only way to
end their eternal struggle would
be by turning the game off."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/mio2y.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel2.png
"So, please remind me... how exactly does
that make it the greatest pokemon ever?"
"Boring people like you just don't get it."

As a further incentive, Pokémon captured in the Safari Zone apparently always have at least two IVs at 31 (which two are random though). And the one-time legendaries apparently always have at least three IVs at 31 (again, which three are random). So, yeah, IVs still suck, but at least GameFreak is doing something to fix that. And Friend Whoring is a part of it.

This is seriously awesome. Finally, actually catched pokemon might be useful for once. Especially pokemon that hardly needs anything but speed and power anyway. :greenie:

Skyblade
10-18-2013, 02:32 AM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel2.png
"Don't disrespect Wobbuffet. It's
the greatest pokemon there ever was."

Wobbuffet vs Wobbuffet! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_3F1-CO5g)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel6.png
"Back in the good old days, it could
create literally endless battles.
If both Wobbuffets had a high
defensive EV spread and leftovers
as held item, they would even
heal off the struggle damage
each turn after exhausting their
moves, meaning the only way to
end their eternal struggle would
be by turning the game off."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/mio2y.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel2.png
"So, please remind me... how exactly does
that make it the greatest pokemon ever?"
"Boring people like you just don't get it."

It was undoubtedly a bred baby, so don't worry about it.

I try to do version exclusives for Wonder Trade myself. Houndour/Manetric (if you've reached the Stonehenge city, they're easy to find) or Spritzee/Swirlix if not (though they're rarer, and can be found around where you find the sleeping Snorlax).

That gives me a 50/50 chance that I'm providing someone with a Pokémon they won't get through regular gameplay, which seems fair to me for a completely random shot.

This is seriously awesome. Finally, actually catched pokemon might be useful for once. Especially pokemon that hardly needs anything but speed and power anyway. :greenie:

Yep. And it gets better. You can find a ton of Pokémon in the Safari Zones as long as you have the correct friends. Including all three of the Kalos starters (who can have their Hidden Abilities). The fact that each Friend only gives access to three is the big limit, but with enough Friends, you can still find hundreds of Pokémon there.

Also, new Breeding Rule: A Parent holding one of the EV Boosting items (such as the Power Lens) will pass down the corresponding IV to their child. This only works for one parent, but it lets you guarantee that a 31 in Speed (for example) gets passed down to the kid, while the other parent holds the Everstone to pass down a Nature. So even once you've caught a Pokémon, if you need to breed moves on to it (and Egg Moves can now come from either parent, so every Egg Move is legal in any combination), you still have a lot more control.

IVs still suck, but GameFreak has made a huge effort to make them more bearable.

Bunny
10-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Just ordered a 3DS that should arrive on Friday, which will make the weekend completely unbearable because X is supposed to arrive on Monday.

This (http://i.imgur.com/fmPeynY.jpg)is a pretty cool type chart if you're into the whole minimalism thing.

Skyblade
10-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Just ordered a 3DS that should arrive on Friday, which will make the weekend completely unbearable because X is supposed to arrive on Monday.

This (http://i.imgur.com/fmPeynY.jpg)is a pretty cool type chart if you're into the whole minimalism thing.

Pick up Fire Emblem Awakening and Rune Factory 4 while you wait.

Also, that image isn't letting me view it.

Sephex
10-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Did the Super Training thingy to get a Dusk Stone early for Doublade. Gonna wait for the right time to use it to evolve him. Also participated in my first online match by some random person who challenged me. I lost, but not by much. She also had a legendary and happened to have a team that exploited huge weakness in mine. I am honestly surprised I did as well as I did, really. Main game wise I got past the 5th gym!

Not sure how much I am going to be able to play it this weekend since I get all social and junk, but I have to say I am still very happy with the game!

Tasura
10-18-2013, 05:53 AM
I've added Proto, Sephex, and SkyBlade's second friend code, so add me back :D.

Story wise I've just cleared the 5th gym, but because of all my chateauing my Delphox is level 77 xD.

Skyblade
10-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey, head's up guys. There's apparently a game-breaking glitch in the game. If you save on the streets of Lumiose City, your game will freeze up. Attempting to load the save will also freeze the game up. Nintendo has acknowledged the error and is working on a solution. They also say that their solution will un-freeze games that are currently experiencing it, so while you can restart to get out of it, it is not necessarily recommended.

Article. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-18-how-to-avoid-pokemon-x-and-ys-game-breaking-save-bug) Just be sure to only save inside buildings.

Also, more news from Smogon: There is a rumor currently circulating, backed up by those who have tested it, but not yet confirmed. It states that, due to a programming glitch, all unbreedable wild Pokémon are caught with 3 IVs at 31. This was supposed to be restricted to Legendaries, but apparently it is working on all the unbreedable wild Pokémon, which includes catchable babies like Budew, Azurill, and Riolu. That's right, you can catch a Riolu with 3 IVs at 31. Granted, they're rare as heck, but you can find them in the wild on Route 22, just west of the first Gym you stop in at (Santalune City).

Slothy
10-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey, head's up guys. There's apparently a game-breaking glitch in the game.

*cough*

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but I thought you guys might want to be warned about it: Potential Save-Destroying Bug Found in Pokemon X and Y | The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128740-Potential-Save-Destroying-Bug-Found-in-Pokemon-X-and-Y)

Skyblade
10-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey, head's up guys. There's apparently a game-breaking glitch in the game.

*cough*

Dangit. This is what I get for forum hopping so much in the last couple of days. I couldn't remember if that was posted here or not.

At least we have some confirmation that Nintendo is fixing it, that the fix will also help bugged games, and confirmation that it only affects those areas.

Slothy
10-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Agreed. That is cool of them. People not losing saves over it is pretty lucky.

Skyblade
10-18-2013, 09:56 PM
I just reached the berry farm. I know it's unfair of me, but since I was playing Rune Factory 4 for the week and a half before release, I can't help it.

Pokémon's farming sucks. Only in comparison perhaps. But trying to run the Berry farm just seems so limited and dull compared to what we've been getting in Harvest Moon and Rune Factory for years. If only we could trade items across. I'd happily grow produce in RF4 and trade it over to berries. Ooh, or forge weapons or armor and trade them for Held Items.

Also, does Tipping actually do anything? I've heard a rumor that it supposedly increases the chance of finding a Shiny, but there are tons of people who say that they've Tipped every chance they've gotten and haven't seen any Shinies since. But I can't imagine they'd put in such an opportunity to throw money away for no reason, especially when there are so many Pokéballs you need to buy.

Jinx
10-18-2013, 09:58 PM
If tipping does anything, I'd assume it raises your style points.

Agent Proto
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I've seen two shinies so far! And both times happened during Horde Encounters.

Nicolas
10-19-2013, 12:34 AM
I have too! But the Zangeese quickly killed the shiny Seviper. ;-; Also, I probably should get around to adding more people from here. Ah well.

Night Fury
10-19-2013, 04:39 AM
OMG PHILIP BOUGHT ME A 3DS :D :D :D :D

LOOK YOU GUYS I CAN PLAY TOO NOW EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 05:03 AM
OMG PHILIP BOUGHT ME A 3DS :D :D :D :D

LOOK YOU GUYS I CAN PLAY TOO NOW EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH

Yay! Funsies!

Fun Code Rules: To set it up, make yourself a Mii from the Mii app (built in on the device). Then click the Orange Smiley face in the upper middle of the Home Page, and create your Friend Card (which will use the Mii you just created). Then tell us your Friend Code, and record all of ours. Select "Register Friend" and enter the code we give you. When we enter yours and you enter ours, we become friends.

Once friends, we can see each other online when we're together for trading, buffing each other (there are buffs to increase money obtained, capture rates, stats, even heal Pokémon), or battling. And all of these can be done at any time from the Player Search System screen, you don't even have to be at a Pokécenter, and it unlocks as soon as you get your starter (though you need at least two Pokémon to trade).

Also, once you unlock the Safari Zone, you can visit your friend's Safari Zone, bringing you access to more Pokémon, which have a higher chance of being shiny, Hidden Abilities, and better IVs!

Night Fury
10-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Oh thank you! That's an awesome mini guide! :D I will do it once the console has hit fully charged :D

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Oh thank you! That's an awesome mini guide! :D I will do it once the console has hit fully charged :D

Oh, yeah, you'll also have to connect your system to your home WiFi. Fortunately, unlike the DS, the 3DS accepts a much broader range of security types than just WEP. Just know your network and password and you should get in fine.

There is a wireless connection toggle switch on the right side of the device. Press it towards the top of the device and release to toggle it on or off (light on means wireless is active). However, turning it on only lets you hook into your wireless. In order to access the Nintendo systems, you'll also need to open an internet connection. You can do this in-game by pressing the WiFi button on the Player Search System, or through Mystery Gift.

You can also do it by opening the web browser (globe icon in the upper right of the home screen). Creating your friend code might automatically do it, but I'm not sure.

If you don't hook into the internet, you can still leave the wireless on to directly contact any other 3DS players nearby. Otherwise, toggle it off, because it will drain battery needlessly.

Final Note: Make sure you pick up your Event Torchic with Mystery Gift! He's only going to be around until January, and I only have so many extras to give out. :)

Night Fury
10-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Okay! Thanks again dude!

I'm away playing now, I will put my Friend Code out later on and let you all know how I've gotten on with it :D EEEEH EXCITING! :D

Quindiana Jones
10-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, someone's getting head.

Uh, ahead. Someone's getting ahead. In the relationship game. For being a good boyfriend. Ahem.

Pike
10-19-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm crawling through this game so slowly and loving every minute of it. Just beat the fourth gym. I have about ~12 pokemon at proper level which I'm switching between because I love them all and want them all in my party. Keeping all of their XP up is easy thanks to EXP Share and the fact that the pacing at the beginning was really slow compared to the prior games I've played. If this was 1st or 2nd gen I'd be just about getting to the Elite Four with the level my guys are at (late 30s-early 40s).

Tasura
10-19-2013, 10:22 AM
So I've only made it as far as finishing the 6th gym and my Delphox is 91, and the rest of my main party is 60-70, I've also made over 2m Pokebucks too. All thanks to the Chateau.

Night Fury
10-19-2013, 11:48 AM
4 hours in and my team is
Frogadier lvl 26
Cubone lvl 19
Pancham lvl 21
Eevee lvl 21
Charmeleon lvl 25
Combusken lvl 27

Quindiana Jones
10-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I want to play this game and am willing to purchase a 3DS to achieve such a goal. But, alas, they are region locked and I live in China.

Ah well.

Agent Proto
10-19-2013, 01:02 PM
I just got the 7th badge last night. Most of my party are right under level 50.

Jinx
10-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Eevee lvl 21

All you have to do to get Sylveon is make it learn a Fairy-type move and get its Affection up (in Pokemon-amie). People on the internet are saying Affection has to be maxed, but my Eevee evolved to Sylveon with about 3 hearts.

Slothy
10-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Fortunately, unlike the DS, the 3DS accepts a much broader range of security types than just WEP.

Completely off topic for a sec but the DS only knew how to handle WEP? Security so bad it only keeps the technologically challenged and the honest thieves out? Interesting.

Tasura
10-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Eevee lvl 21

All you have to do to get Sylveon is make it learn a Fairy-type move and get its Affection up (in Pokemon-amie). People on the internet are saying Affection has to be maxed, but my Eevee evolved to Sylveon with about 3 hearts.

Well damn, I took it all the way to 5 hearts, oh well.

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Fortunately, unlike the DS, the 3DS accepts a much broader range of security types than just WEP.

Completely off topic for a sec but the DS only knew how to handle WEP? Security so bad it only keeps the technologically challenged and the honest thieves out? Interesting.

Yep. This was actually the primary selling point behind Nintendo's Wifi USB Connector. It allowed you to connect your DS without completely butchering your Wifi's security.

But the device received poor support. It was hard to get it working with Windows Vista, and it didn't work with Windows 7 (64 Bit) at all.

So I was completely unable to use my DS Pokémon games with the Dream World (which is pretty much the only reason I'd really have to use the wireless on the DS).

It's so nice to be able to access the systems and use the social aspects again.

Well damn, I took it all the way to 5 hearts, oh well.

That's not that bad. 5 Hearts gives a ton of benefits. Chance to evade attacks, extra crit chance, 20% extra Exp, it can cure its own status effects... Well worth doing. The team I'm using is all at 5 Hearts.

Which is actually coming back to bite me, as I traded over a Chespin and Fennekin, and they're currently Chesnaught and Delphox. Which is great, except that I've only passed the first gym, so I've reached the point where I can't use them. And due to Exp Share, trade Exp boost, and Pokémon-Amie Exp boost, they're dangerously close to being to the point where even the second gym wouldn't change that.

Locky

4 hours in and my team is
Frogadier lvl 26
Cubone lvl 19
Pancham lvl 21
Eevee lvl 21
Charmeleon lvl 25
Combusken lvl 27

Awesome little team there. I haven't reached Cubone or Eevee yet, though. I'm going slow, making sure to capture at least one (usually one female, except for Pansear, which I only caught male) of every Pokémon. So currently I'm only at Connecting Cave.

My team:
Greninja Level 44
Delphox Level 39
Chesnaught Level 37
Blaziken Level 37
Charizard Level 37
Gloom Level 35 (Not one I would normally use at all, but Sweet Scent is just too great of a utility move in this game, with the way it causes Horde Battles).

Jinx
10-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Why don't you turn EXP Share off, or just take them out of your party for awhile?

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Why don't you turn EXP Share off, or just take them out of your party for awhile?

I did turn it off, once I noticed Delphox hitting level 39 (and knowing that the second badge only works on Pokémon up to 40).

I'd remove them, but I don't have a ton I want to use in their place. And I kind of don't want to Super Train for a couple of days. It can get repetitive. But it's still better than just taking EVs as they come.

If I were to trade them out, I'd probably want to put in Fletchling instead. His stats aren't that great (and he's pretty much too weak for competitive without his Hidden Ability), but he's so much fun. I'd be tempted to put in Ducklett (one of my primary HM slaves from Black and White), but I don't have any HMs to use on him yet. I do need a Cut slave though. Hmm...

Tasura
10-19-2013, 03:44 PM
5 hearts would be great, if I ever intended to use it. But I never did, I only got it any hearts so it would evolve. Also, max hearts gives a chance to avoid death as well.

My party as it sits now, currently in the Frost Cavern.

Delphox Lv. 93
Aegislash Lv 65 (Cut/False Swipe)
Charizard Lv 68 (Fly/Mega)
Venusaur Lv 62 (Strength/Mega)
Greninja Lv 69 (Surf/Rock Smash)
Golbat Lv 30 (Cultivating Friendship for evolution purposes)

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 03:47 PM
5 hearts would be great, if I ever intended to use it. But I never did, I only got it any hearts so it would evolve. Also, max hearts gives a chance to avoid death as well.

Sylveon has Cute Charm, which is a pretty awesome ability. If Sylveon leads your party, you have 2 chances out of 3 of finding a wild Pokémon of the opposite gender, regardless of gender ratios. That's reason enough to use it right there. A Male Sylveon can get you breedable Females of whichever Pokémon you want. :)

Although you might prefer Espeon and Synchronize for getting Natures. Hmm...

Tasura
10-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Sylveon has Cute Charm, which is a pretty awesome ability. If Sylveon leads your party, you have 2 chances out of 3 of finding a wild Pokémon of the opposite gender, regardless of gender ratios. That's reason enough to use it right there. A Male Sylveon can get you breedable Females of whichever Pokémon you want. :)

I have a Ditto for that.

Aulayna
10-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Just got to the 3rd gym... nearly 34 hours into it xD

Shauna
10-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Just got my Cliff badge today. Whoo. SNAIL'S PACE.

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Time: 51:02
Pokédex: 122
Gym Badges: 1

Is it wrong to be proud that I'm slower? Anyway, I'm about to unlock the Coastal Pokédex!

Also, I'd like to thank Jinx. She's always online, and thanks to that I've managed to get all 5 of my current O-Powers up to level 3.

Bunny
10-19-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm sure this is all covered somewhere else in the thread but I am far too lazy to actually go looking. The game just arrived last night and my 3DS should get here tonight. Could someone (probably Skyblade) either link to or provide a good explanation of the differences in X/Y from previous games and other good tips/tricks/hints that would help in the game? Specifically, I don't quite understand what O-Powers are or how Pokemon-Amie works. Also, how do the three Pokedex's work or how are they unlocked? Is the game super non-linear where you can get a bunch of Pokemon without worry about badge progression as well?

Also, how does the friend safari thing work? Is it 3 pokemon added per friend code inputted or is it more than that?

Jinx
10-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Uh, what about me?

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm sure this is all covered somewhere else in the thread but I am far too lazy to actually go looking. The game just arrived last night and my 3DS should get here tonight. Could someone (probably Skyblade) either link to or provide a good explanation of the differences in X/Y from previous games and other good tips/tricks/hints that would help in the game? Specifically, I don't quite understand what O-Powers are or how Pokemon-Amie works. Also, how do the three Pokedex's work or how are they unlocked? Is the game super non-linear where you can get a bunch of Pokemon without worry about badge progression as well?

Also, how does the friend safari thing work? Is it 3 pokemon added per friend code inputted or is it more than that?

Wow. Ok, this is going to be long, because they've changed a lot.

First off, the new features. There are three primary ones to talk about. They are Pokémon Amie, Super Training, and the Player Search System. Each one takes up your lower screen unless you bring up your menu, and you can use the touchpad or L and R to cycle between them. All three of these features unlock immediately after you get your starter, though some have other minor restrictions, which I will mention as we get to them.

Pokémon Amie is a new way to increase Affection with your Pokémon. Each Pokémon has three Pokémon Amie stats. These are Affection, Fullness, and Enjoyment. Affection is the beneficial one that you want to raise. Fullness and Enjoyment are just restrictions on how much you can raise Affection.

When you open Pokémon Amie, you'll be able to interact with your Pokémon. Petting it with the stylus or calling its name will give you hearts, which increase its Affection. However, doing so consumes Enjoyment, and once Enjoyment is drained, you can't gain any more Affection hearts this way.

You can also feed your Pokémon Poképuffs to further increase Affection. However, this also increases Fullness. Once full, a Pokémon refuses to eat any more. How much a Pokémon can eat varies based on how empty its Fullness is (at fully empty, it can eat six), but you'll notice that the last one is eaten slower than the others, to give you warning so you don't waste any Poképuffs.

In order to reset Fullness and Enjoyment, and earn more Poképuffs, you need to play the mini-games. There are three, and they have variable difficulty levels. The better you do, and the higher difficulty you play on, the better the rewards. You'll get more, and better, Poképuffs for doing better on the games.

Each time you play a minigame, it resets part of the meters. Any three games played through (even Endless mode where you lose immediately on purpose) will reset both a Pokémon's Enjoyment and Fullness, allowing you to feed it and pet it to get more affection.

As you get basic Affection hearts, you'll eventually raise the Affection level. When your level goes up, the Pokémon will cheer and dozens of hearts will rush out at once. You really can't miss it.

Raising Affection seems to be permanent (I know it is permanent once you max it), and gives various bonuses. Increase Experience, increased Evasion, increased Critical Chance. You Pokémon can heal itself from status effects (so you don't worry about them) or even survive normally deadly hits with 1 HP left, like a Focus Band.

Minigames (to play you need at least three Pokémon):
Each has four difficulty modes: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Unlimited (which goes on until you fail)
-The first is Berry Picker. You drag berries from a tree to your Pokémon. There is one of each berry type, and each Pokémon requests a certain berry. More berries are added and the speed picks up as the difficulty increases.
-The second is Head It. Yarn falls from the top of the screen, and you tap your Pokémon to bounce it back up. Yarn falls faster and patterns are a little less consistent as difficulty increases.
-The third is Tile Puzzle. A moving picture of your Pokémon is broken into tiles. Each tile is then switched with another tile on the screen. Each tile is only moved once, so if you move a tile back correctly, you should always actually fix two tiles. Each picture shifts between scenes as you work on it. The pictures are split into more tiles as difficulty progresses.

Personal advice: Raise up the "Head it" minigame. It's easy to bounce the yarn up, and it gives great rewards for easy effort. Once you reach unlimited, play it and earn about 300 to 400 points, and you should get six excellent Poképuffs. If you five star it (around 900 points) you'll get even better ones, but it's not worth the extra time. If you wind up with lots of extra Poképuffs, you can just end the game in about fifteen seconds by not bouncing yarn at all, so you can reset the work up stats really quickly.

Even better: Play unlimited and chain together 15. Your score should reach around 65+, so you'll one star the level and earn 2 of the second-best Poképuffs in the game.

Pokémon Super Training is a great new way to maximize the Effort Values of your Pokémon.

As per previous games, a single Pokémon can have 510 Effort Values total. Every 4 Effort Values (EVs) are worth one point in a stat to a level 100 Pokémon. However, unlike other Pokémon games, you can now only put 252 EVs in a single stat, instead of the 255 of older games, preventing you from wasting 3 EVs which won't yield a stat boost.

Super Training starts with two tutorial level which teach you the basics. Essentially, the game is a shooter. The Circle Pad controls your Pokémon's movement, and the stylus controls your aim and fires shots.

You face a series of Pokémon balloons. Each has targets which appear on them as you play. Hit the targets and your score goes up. Meet the score that is the goal for the level, and you complete the level. However, many Pokémon balloons move, and some have barriers, other balloons blocking for them, or the ability to fight back.

Barriers can be broken either through doing enough damage, or by hitting their yellow weak spot directly. Guardian balloons can be killed by damage, but will regenerate over time, so it is better to try to fire around them. Balloons will fight back by firing giant soccer balls at you. Evade them by moving, or press L to activate your Shield. Just know that, like Protect, your Shield can't be used repeatedly, so get used to dodging.

Adding EVs to your Pokémon increases how they perform in Super Training, in addition to the stat boosts. Increasing Attack or Special Attack increases the points you score with each hit. Increasing Defense or Special Defense decreases the damage you take from soccer balls and increases the speed at which you charge shots up. Increasing HP increases the size of your ball's hit zone, allowing you to hit targets more easily. And increasing Speed increases how fast you can move to avoid hits, and possibly how fast your shot travels.

When you complete a level, you earn Effort Value points. The first two tutorial levels (which you can't escape) yield 4 EVs in Defense apiece, for a total of 8 Defense EVs. There is also a "Target Time" for each level that gives your Pokémon a little medal if they can beat it within the time, and the game will keep track of your fastest times, and which Pokémon earned them.

After you complete those levels, you unlock the first tier of Super Training. You can choose from any of the six stats: Special Attack, HP, Attack, Special Defense, Speed, and Defense. Completing one of these levels will reward you with 4 EVs in the corresponding stat. Complete all the levels, and you unlock the second tier. IMPORTANT NOTE: You do not have to complete them all with a single Pokémon, you just have to clear each level once with any Pokémon to unlock tier two.

Tier two has the same breakdown, but each level now yields 8 EVs per level, and each level is generally harder. Complete every tier two level (again, you do not need to do it with a single Pokémon), and you unlock tier three. In Tier 3, you face harder levels, and each is worth 12 EVs, making it the fastest way to increase EVs in Super Training.

After any individual Pokémon has acquired 510 EVs, that particular Pokémon is allowed to enter Tier 4 (you may have to unlock Tiers 2 and 3 if you got your EVs through battle instead of Super Training, I'm not sure). In Tier 4, you no longer get EVs. Instead, you get items. Some of these items are rare (almost every course seems to be tied to an Evolution Stone, for example), and what item they give you depends on how fast you clear them, with some luck thrown in. Also, these levels are far harder than the old ones, and, unlike Tiers 1 through 3, you cannot take on any one you wish, you have to unlock them one at a time.

Completing all 6 Tier 4 missions with one Pokémon will allow that Pokémon to take on Tier 5, the final tier. You'll get more items as rewards, but the rules are essentially the same as Tier 4.

Each time you complete a level, no matter which tier it is in, you will also earn a Punching Bag. These Punching Bags are accessible from the main Super Training Screen (again, the game will give you a tutorial on them). Which one you get depends on which mission you completed, and how fast you did it. Completing an Attack mission, for example, will yield an Attack bag almost always (occasionally you'll get a Double Up bag or something else different, but never a different stat, I'll get to those in a minute). Breaking these bags reward you with extra EVs for that stat.

Small Bags, easily accessible from the first Tier, are worth 1 EV, and must be punched by a Pokémon 11 times to break. And, as with all bags, the final blow must come from you hitting the screen, the Pokémon won't do it automatically. Medium Bags are worth 4 EVs, and must be hit 26 times. Large Bags are worth 12 EVs, and must be hit 51 times.

If you fail a mission, you still get a punching bag. However, you get different punching bags, intended to help you complete the missions. These include the Strength Bag, which earns you more points per hit, the Toughen Up bag, which reduces the damage you take from soccer balls, the Big Shot bag, which increases your shot size to make hitting easier, and the Swiftness bag, which makes your Pokémon move faster. Each bag breaks in 11 hits, and lasts for only one mission.

There are also a few extra bags which do special things. The Double Up bag can be randomly won as an award, or through the second method (give me a second, I'll get to it), and doubles the EVs you earn on your next mission. The other two bags, the Soothing bag and the Reset bag, can only be acquired through being "found" by a Pokémon training itself. Essentially, any time your Pokémon hits the grey punching bag (about once a minute if left automatically) while no other punching bag is put up, there's a chance they'll get a bag. These can be any bag in the game, but are your only chance of getting Reset and Soothing bags. Soothing bags increase your friendship, so are great for Pokémon like Golbat or an Eevee you want to evolve to Espeon/Umbreon. Reset bags reset all your EVs so you can train from scratch. All non-stat bags take 11 hits to break, again with the final hit coming from you.

Pokémon will occasionally fall asleep, which keeps them from going on missions or hitting punching bags. Tapping them will wake them up. It will also put a smile on their face, which makes the next bag they punch at break twice as quickly.

How to punch bags: Any time you tap the touchscreen, your Pokémon will punch a bag. They will also punch on their own about once a minute, and they'll do this even in the middle of a punching session you're controlling.

Final note: Not every Pokémon acts the same way in the Super Training missions. On the main Super Training page, in the upper right corner, is a logo. For most Pokémon I've found (including your starters) it will be a soccer ball. But for some (first I found was Oddish) it will be a line of little soccer balls. This indicates how they fight in the missions. A single ball Pokémon is good for heavy, timed shots, while Oddish will fire rapidly but weakly as long as you hold down the stylus.

This is the new Wifi-Room. You no longer have to go to a Pokécenter to trade, browse the GTS, or anything like that. You can do it all from the PSS screen at any time.

The PSS screen is split into three sections. The first is "Friends", which lists all the people who are Friends with you. The Friends from your 3DS's Friends List will only be added if they go online while playing a Pokémon X/Y game at the same time you are online with your Pokémon X/Y game.

The second section is "Acqaintances", which is used for anyone you've had direct interactions with (battle or trade) but have not Friended. And the third section is "Passerby", which is everyone within your 3DS's wireless range or, if you are on the internet, every other person connected to the internet with a Pokémon game.

To interact with a trainer, tap on them. It will pull up a screen with their name, and available options. These include Trading, Battling, using Game-Chat (if they allow it), viewing their Trainer Video, or using O-Powers on them. Most of these are fairly self-explanatory, but I'll detail Trainer Videos and O-Powers below.

Trainer Videos can be set up in Lumiose City, and are a ten second video of your trainer in various poses and with effects, backgrounds, and movements. Edit one when you get to Lumiose City, and you'll figure it out from there.

O-Powers are buffs. You start out with Pokémon Healing, which heals the first Pokémon in the party, or the Pokémon currently in battle, for a minor amount. You also start with Pokémon Capture Power, which increases the chance for a Pokéball to capture a Pokémon. You get extra ones as you play, and they include powers like a stat buff at the start of the next combat, increased money from trainers, increased experience from battles, reduced cost of items at shops, and things like that.

Every O-Power has a cost of "Energy". Energy regenerates with time, and isn't used for anything but O-Powers, so don't be stingy with it. Each Power has a cost to you, and a cost to use on someone else. Using it on yourself is always more expensive than using it on someone else, to help promote social interaction. For example, Sp. Attack Power 1 is 1 Energy if you use it on someone else, but 3 Energy if you use it on yourself.

There are also different levels of each power. The more you use a power, the higher level it will become, until it reaches level 3, which is the highest. Each higher level works better, but also costs more energy.

Some powers give one time buffs, like healing or stat increases. Others give duration buffs, like money or experience. A duration buff will typically provide its benefit for three minutes, no matter what power level it is at. Increased levels instead give strong effects for that duration.

Now, on to the last parts of the PSS. In the upper right of the main screen are two blue icons. The one on the far right is the Internet icon. Press it to hook into the internet. To the left of that is the Functions Icon. This lets you do a lot of general things that aren't directly interacting with another trainer. I'll run down the list now.

Battle: Set up a Pokémon battle.

Trade: Set up a Pokémon trade.

Battle Spot: Random battles or Ranked Competition, I believe (haven't used it yet, I don't like playing competitively).

Wonder Trade: Trade any Pokémon for a random Pokémon from someone else. You can get some rares, and it's a great way to pick up Pokémon from other countries easily, but don't put up anything you don't want to lose.

Shout Out: Send out a message to other trainers who see you using PSS.

Holo Caster: No clue, really. Ability to pick up announcement data and some other stuff on Street Pass. Haven't used it.

The GTS: This is a place you can put a Pokémon and request a Pokémon for trade. You can search for a Pokémon other people have put up, either by selecting one from your Pokédex, or typing in its name. It's a decent way to hunt for Pokémon you don't have, though there are a lot of ridiculous trades up there, such as people wanting a legendary for a Skitty.

Game Sync: Hook up to the Pokémon Game Link to let Nintendo track your progress and reward PokéMiles for it. For more details, try it out or check the website, this one isn't too important right now (not all functionality is working for it yet).

O-Power: If you want to use an O-Power on yourself, this is the place to do it.

Favorites List: Haven't used, not sure how to. Something similar to the friend's list, apparently, but I don't know the details.

Profile: Information on you to adjust and make viewable.

PSS Settings: Exactly what it sounds like.

Upon completing the game and beating the Elite 4 (massive spoilers), you unlock the Safari Zone. Your Safari Zone has a type, which relates to the Pokémon which can be found within it. Mine, for example, is Normal. Unfortunately, your Safari Zone only has three Pokémon in it. You are stuck with those three Pokémon and can never change them, as far as we know.

However, anyone who is listed as a "Friend" in your PSS has their own Safari Zone, and you can visit that Safari Zone as well.

Thus, for each friend on the PSS, you get another Safari Zone and three more Pokémon to catch in it. Though you can of course get duplicates if you have bad luck. However, you should note that if one of your friends has not beaten the Elite Four (and done a Game Sync or been online since, so Nintendo can know about it), you will only be able to see two of their Pokémon, and the third will unlock once they have completed the game.

The benefits of the Friend Safari are thus:

You can get Pokémon you can't otherwise get in-game.
Pokémon in the Friend Safari have an increased chance of having their Hidden Ability.
Pokémon in the Friend Safari have an increased chance of being Shiny.
Pokémon in the Friend Safari always have at least two IVs that are 31, the maximum possible value.

The Kalos Pokédex is broken into three regions. Central, Coastal, and Mountain. You start with just the Central Pokédex, and the others are added on as you enter their respective territories. You first get the Coastal Pokédex after you leave Connecting Cave.

Due to the extremely high number of Pokémon, the sections were added for ease of sorting/tracking. There are no other effects on gameplay that I know of.

Please let me know if I forgot something.

Uh, what about me?

You're the trainer named "Jinx" with a Pink hat, white sunglasses, black hair, and a pink shirt, right? I've been using O-Powers on you a ton. It's cheaper than using it on myself, so it boosts them faster.

Have you not been getting the O-Powers I've been using on you? Did I somehow befriend a different "Jinx"? :(

Ultima Shadow
10-20-2013, 02:32 AM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia3.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rider3-1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio1.png
"Hey, Rider. What have you been up to?"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia3.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Rider4b-1.png
"Just playing some B/W while waiting
for my copy of Y. Oh, and... new team
and trainer card. What do you think?"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/trainercard-Rider.png

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio4.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Rider4b-1.png
"Whoohoo... very nice. Look at that!"
"Garchomp lead with Choice Scarf,
max speed IVs on everyone.
Life Orb Crobat, and the Hydregion
runs a set called 'Mixed Sweeper'".

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia3.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Riderb-1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/mio2y.png
"It's very cool, Rider. But that's nothing. Look at this."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/trainercard-MioKifune.png

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia5-1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Rider4b-1.png
"That... is really nice."
"Scizor lead, Heatran and shiny
Gyarados. What do you think?"
".....nice."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rider2.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio7.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia1.png
"Those EV spreads really look super!"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia1.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Riderb-1.png
...(I can't believe that Rydia prefers
Mio's pokemon team to mine).

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Riderb-1.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio4.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
"But wait... you ain't seen nothing yet."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/trainercard-Rydia2.png

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rider2.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio3b.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
"...double shinies and event-only
legendary. And the Gardevoir lead
has Modest Nature plus maxed IVs."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio4.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia3.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Rider4b-1.png
...i-impressive. V-very... nice. Uh...
...let's see KOS-MOS' trainer card.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio4.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia3.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Riderb-1.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.png
".....*zip*"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/trainercard-KOS-MOS.png

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/kosmosb.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Mio4.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rider2.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/rydia3.png
...(Look at all those shinies.
The all maxed IVs on legendaries.
Oh my god... she even has Genesect."
"Something wrong? Rider? ...you're sweating."

Jinx
10-20-2013, 02:45 AM
I'm confused how you have me, Skyblade, as I haven't a.) given you my code or b.) added you myself.

Skyblade
10-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Pokémon-Amie Update: The best way to get good Poképuffs is to play Unlimited mode in Head It. Chain together 15 hits, then let them all fall. You'll get two of the second best Poképuffs possible (the best ones require 5-Starring Unlimited Mode, which takes way too long, and only gives you a minor boost over these). Great way to get them extremely quickly.

Night Fury
10-20-2013, 04:08 AM
My friend code is 0834 1849 5441
Please if you add me, leave me a VM with your friend code so I can add you back real easy!

I'm now 10 hours in and 4 badges down. I like to play the storyline through pretty quickly! I haven't really been doing much Pokemon Amie so I might focus on that today.

My team is now

Lvl 39 Greninja
Lvl 39 Amaura (Thanks again Tas!)
Lvl 40 Charizard
Lvl 40 Blaziken
Lvl 35 Pangoro
Lvl 36 Lucario

I'm going to try and go Dragon hunting today for a Dratini so I can level that up and replace Blaziken with a Dragonite. (I'm not really a fan of Blaziken, and prefer Charizard as my fire.)

Jessweeee♪
10-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Also, I'd like to thank Jinx. She's always online, and thanks to that I've managed to get all 5 of my current O-Powers up to level 3.

I'm confused how you have me, Skyblade, as I haven't a.) given you my code or b.) added you myself.

somebody has been catfished here

Tasura
10-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Time: 75:21
Pokedex: 366
Badges: 7

And, if you haven't caught one yet Locky, I have a Dratini for you~

Pike
10-20-2013, 10:47 AM
All I really want is a frackin' Ditto so I can breed some stuff

I'll find one eventually I suppose

P.S. Good FAQ that I keep open in a tab pretty much constantly: http://goo.gl/G1OJj3

Tasura
10-20-2013, 11:37 AM
You won't find wild Dittos until just before the 8th Gym. I got lucky and found one on the GTS, which was awesome.

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Jinx helped me with my O-Powers, but I've always been too embarrassed to tell her. :blush:

Pike
10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Bwahahaha got a ditto through Global Trade and now I'm breeding and trading everything :mwahaha:

Tasura
10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Whee~ Elite 4 and Champion demolished. now I start the hunt for Mega-Stones, Zygarde, Zapdos and Mewtwo. Also finishing off the Kalos Dex, and then I twiddle my thumbs until the Bank goes live so I can work on the National Dex.

So, I just got a Pokerus Yveltal from a Wonder Trade.

Nicolas
10-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Whoo. Just beat the Elite Four today and looking at the Friend Safari and it seems I need to get more friend codes from people. So if you want to add me, here is my code: 0516-7478-2513. I'll be adding those I don't already have from this thread as well. Kinda excited about how it works now.

Edit: Added those that in the EoFF Friend Code thread as well as those who have put them in here. >.>

Skyblade
10-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I've now caught five forms of Flabebe. The obvious ones are, of course, Red, Yellow, and Blue, the same as the flower colors you can find them in. But I've also found Orange rarely in the yellow flowers. And today, while hunting in the red flowers for another Ralts, I discovered a White Flabebe, which is easily the rarest of the lot, at least in my game.

Sephex
10-21-2013, 02:44 AM
As predicted, I didn't have tons of time to play this weekend. However, I did get past the 6th gym!

Skyblade
10-21-2013, 06:00 AM
I just fought my first Team Flare member, inside Glittering Cave. His Houndour used Roar to phase away my level 21 Bagon... And call out my level 59 Greninja. In hindsight, it was probably not his smartest move.

In other news, my party has switched up, largely to phase out my traded Pokémon until I can get more badges, and to start working up more evolutions and prepare for some Mega-Evolutions.

Currently I'm running through Glittering Cave with:
Greninja, Level 59
Kirlia, Level 25
Riolu, Level 20
Bagon, Level 21
Bibarel, Level 22
Gloom, Level 27

The last two are my current HM/Field Move Pokémon. Bibarel for Cut and Rock Smash, and Gloom for Sweet Scent.

I've also prepped a lovely Adamant Super Luck Absol who is level 29, too high to take with me, and a level 29 Meowstic, who is awesome, but unfortunately my party is only so big, and she's again too high a level when I have others to train. Only my starter and my HM Pokémon are guaranteed positions.

Charizard, Blaziken, and Delphox are all 40, and I think Chesnaught is 37. The levels are so high because of the Battle Manse. I keep going back and going back. I'm not even doing it for the money (though the money does rock) or the experience (some trainers carry two level 35 Audinos, which give tons and tons of Exp). I just want to increase my nobility rank to the max (whatever that max is). I don't think I've reached it yet, I haven't been crowned King. I did manage to see Gym Leader Viola in the Manse, though she had a new title as a member of the nobility.

Edit: Does Serena/Calem ever use the Pokémon from the other fossil in her team?

Night Fury
10-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Calem has never used his fossil pokemon on me.

Damn, I'm flying through the story way too quick here. Just caught my Xerneas this morning, so think I'm going to slow right down and do some more Pokemon Amie and other little side things for a while before getting my last Gym badges.

Pike
10-21-2013, 10:27 AM

You better have given that guy something good :p

Also you guys are super fast. Huxley and I have been playing this game for hours a day since the day it came out and we've both only made it to the sixth gym.

Night Fury
10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I haven't really been grinding because of the Exp Share so I've been blasting through it, I doooo almost wish I'd taken my time with it but at the same time I just can't haha

At the moment I'm on a mission to buy so many clothes. I bought out that fancy boutique in Lumiose City :D Teeheeeee!

I'm now looking for a female Eevee and they are hard to come by!

Also, has anyone else done the Battle Restaurants? They're awesome!

Tasura
10-21-2013, 11:16 AM

You better have given that guy something good :p

I don't think it was all that great, in fact it was probably something super common xD.

Locky, the clothing stores change daily, so because you bought it out today, there might be different things there tomorrow =P.

Skyblade, as far as I know, Duke is the highest rank in the Chateau, that is what Serebii states anyway, and with as many times that Iv'e cleared it as Duke I haven't been promoted yet.

Night Fury
10-21-2013, 11:23 AM
I know Tas, that's why I can't wait for tomorrow! :D :D :D

Tasura
10-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I've bought every clothing store out, twice >.>;;

Night Fury
10-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Okay, so I'm now Eevee breeding and doing the Pokemon Battle Chateau

Jinx
10-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Damn, how much money you got, Locky? It's like 100k an article of clothing in the store at Lumiose. I've got next to a million and I still won't shop there!

Skyblade
10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Damn, how much money you got, Locky? It's like 100k an article of clothing in the store at Lumiose. I've got next to a million and I still won't shop there!

As your style points increase, the prices decrease. This also includes the prices at the Stone Emporium, if I heard correctly, as well as the other shops/emporiums throughout the city.

I am currently only a Marquis. I actually heard that it's possible to reach Grand Duke, above Duke. But, since Duke is apparently the rank at which the Elite Four start visiting (while Marquis is the rank at which the Gym Leaders start visiting), I suppose it is quite possible that I need to beat the Elite Four before I can become a Duke.

Serebii's Page (http://www.serebii.net/xy/battlechateau.shtml). Note the very bottom. Grand Duke, booyah.

Tasura
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM

As your style points increase, the prices decrease. This also includes the prices at the Stone Emporium, if I heard correctly, as well as the other shops/emporiums throughout the city.

I am currently only a Marquis. I actually heard that it's possible to reach Grand Duke, above Duke. But, since Duke is apparently the rank at which the Elite Four start visiting (while Marquis is the rank at which the Gym Leaders start visiting), I suppose it is quite possible that I need to beat the Elite Four before I can become a Duke.

Serebii's Page (http://www.serebii.net/xy/battlechateau.shtml). Note the very bottom. Grand Duke, booyah.

Last time I looked at the Serebii page they only had up to Duke =P. And yes, Style points reduces the price of the Mega-Stones from the Stone Store, up to as low as 10k. But Style does not directly affect costs in clothing stores from what I've seen., however there is a coupon you're able to get somehow that does reduce said prices.

Skyblade
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Last time I looked at the Serebii page they only had up to Duke =P. And yes, Style points reduces the price of the Mega-Stones from the Stone Store, up to as low as 10k. But Style does not directly affect costs in clothing stores from what I've seen., however there is a coupon you're able to get somehow that does reduce said prices.

Good to know. I don't think I've gotten any style points yet, so I can't be sure. They won't even let me in to the boutique. I probably have to fix that stupid power outage first, don't I?

Calem has never used his fossil pokemon on me.

Good to know. I wanted Amaura, but I didn't want to stick Serena with Tyrunt. It doesn't really matter too much, but I did want some warning in advance.

Also, I now have eight Old Amber. Three transferred over, one from the first trip through, and four from my last trip, when I was checking hanging shadows for Ferroseed. I don't think they're supposed to be that common, even if they do want you to get them so you can get an Aerodactyl/Mega Aerodactyl. :D

I'm guessing since Aerodactyl is the only fossil that Mega-Evolves, it's the only one in the Kalos Pokédex, and therefore the only one I'll find down there, huh?

Tasura
10-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Good to know. I don't think I've gotten any style points yet, so I can't be sure. They won't even let me in to the boutique. I probably have to fix that stupid power outage first, don't I?

Also, I now have eight Old Amber. Three transferred over, one from the first trip through, and four from my last trip, when I was checking hanging shadows for Ferroseed. I don't think they're supposed to be that common, even if they do want you to get them so you can get an Aerodactyl/Mega Aerodactyl. :D

I'm guessing since Aerodactyl is the only fossil that Mega-Evolves, it's the only one in the Kalos Pokédex, and therefore the only one I'll find down there, huh?

You get style points by doing random stuff, like taking taxis, or buying expensive items, eating at the restaurants, going through the Lumiose Museum and listening to the Audio Guide. But yea, almost all of that won't happen until after the 5th gym.

After you get the National Dex older fossils can spawn in the same stones that have the Old Amber, which ones spawn is determined by your version.

Pike
10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't care about the clothes shops at all; in fact I wish I'd rolled a male character just so I could at least have a suit.

Anyway I'm enjoying raising my new Charmeleon because I'm not super impressed with either the event torchic/combusken or the fox (now a delphox) that I got on wonder trade. Good ol' charmander, though... :D

Nicolas
10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm enjoying how easily available the starters have become. Two Friend Safari Zones have starters for me (Wartortle and Charmeleon). So breeding starters as Wonder Trade fodder should be quite fun and easy.

I've been mulling over the idea to do a special run through of the game with one type only and a few restrictions. I have a preference for the Dragon types, which have been reduced in status thanks to Fairy. The rules are the hardest part to think of though... So far I've thought of only using ones you can catch and must have Dragon as the actual type (No Gyrados). Also, no Mega Evolutions at all, besides the story forced one. Maybe adding in a few other rules could help make this more interesting or difficult. Problem is that I'd have to trade just to get a dragon to start with.

Any ideas for rules, and just don't say Nuzlocke rules. Some of those will be good though.

Pike
10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
The most interesting challenge I've seen so far is the Wonder Trade challenge, where you take on each gym with six Wonder Traded Pokemon. (After each gym you WT those away and use the next six you get as your next team.)

Tasura
10-21-2013, 09:24 PM
The most interesting challenge I've seen so far is the Wonder Trade challenge, where you take on each gym with six Wonder Traded Pokemon. (After each gym you WT those away and use the next six you get as your next team.)

That... actually sounds kinda cool. Also sorry to say Pike, but as of yet I've not seen anything close to suit-y, unless you count unbuttoned shirts with popped collars.

Jinx
10-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Are you allowed to level them? I think it'd be really hard to take on a gym with a level 3 Caterpie!

Aulayna
10-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Bades: 2
Pokedex: 191
Timel: 34:01

I have a problem...

Tigmafuzz
10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Finished the Kalos dex today.

Now I just need... 180 more Pokemon to fill up the National dex.

It'd go faster if I didn't keep getting distracted by GTAV.

Sephex
10-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Holy crap this thread makes me feel like the worst Pokemon player ever.

Agent Proto
10-21-2013, 10:07 PM
How about we show off the most recent picture of our characters? :D Here's mine.

http://i.imgur.com/Q2APVzt.jpg

Nicolas
10-22-2013, 12:16 AM

Are you allowed to level them? I think it'd be really hard to take on a gym with a level 3 Caterpie!

I've heard of that too. And I think you're allowed to actually level them up but you must get rid of them through WT after each gym. Which is reasonable since you might only get very low level Pokemon and not even be able to take on a wild one let alone a gym.

Sephex
10-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Since other people report their progress in this way, here is currently where I am at after stopping today.

Gym Badges: 7
Playtime: 30:02
Pokedex: 249

I got the water type starter in it's second form in a random Wonder Trade today. Also completed the 7th gym, obviously. Kind of messed around and got all the roller blade moves, too!

Oh, and per Agent Proto's request...

http://i.imgur.com/7y5Yem8.jpg

Endless
10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Seph, don't worry, I'm taking my time playing too, currently right in front of the 4th gym.

I only took one picture so far, so it's my latest ;)

Pike
10-22-2013, 10:29 AM
You're doing better than I am, Sephex :p

Badges: 6
Pokedex: 208
Playtime: 42:34

I don't know how to get the picture from my Nintendo DS to the computer but it's just the default female trainer.

Sephex
10-22-2013, 10:50 AM
You're doing better than I am, Sephex :p

Badges: 6
Pokedex: 208
Playtime: 42:34

I don't know how to get the picture from my Nintendo DS to the computer but it's just the default female trainer.

Thanks. I wasn't actually worried how I am doing compared to other players. If anything, I was complimenting peoples dedication to getting the most of of Pokemon! Also, you can either take the SD card out of your 3DS (obviously when it is off to be safe) and plug it in to your computer if you have a slot for it and find the picture folder to there. Or you can just upload your pics to Facebook. The system basically tells you how to do that with no trouble.

Nicolas
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
You guys are running at about the same pace I did before I beat it. The rest of this game is dedicated to getting all teh pokemans.

Badges: 8
Time: 61:17
Pokedex: 373

Though, I beat it around 58 hours in. So you're on a good pace. As far as the run through I'm going to do, I think I will do the Wonder Trade run for some fun. This could be amazing or it could be horrid.

Tasura
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Badges: 8 (Elite 4 Beat)
Pokedex: 467
Playtime: 99:43

I only need to get 4 more Mega-Stones and run into Zapdos another 11 times before I can attempt to catch him. If I had X I'd do a WT run too because it sounds like fun, and there's always the chance you can get awesome stuff, like an Yveltal xD.

Bunny
10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
So far, I am enjoying it. Not too far in, only one badge and a handful of Pokemon. I have messed around with the Wonder Trade, which is neat, though nothing too stand out has been received.

My friend code is: 4527-8589-9901.

Tasura
10-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Added you Bunny~

Also, dear lord are Tailows hard to find, I spent 2 hours Sweet Scenting before one would show up.

Pike
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
I started breeding starters to send out in Wonder Trade just for the heck of it and my first one that I sent out netted me another starter right back. :)

10-23-2013, 10:39 AM
ADDED BUNNY AND OTHERS! ADD ME BACK! :D Also, I swear MILF, Pike and others haven't shared their friend codes...I want more EoFF peeps! :D *whores self*

Badges: 1
Pokedex: 56
Time: 6:28

I feel under accomplished compared to some. :(