PDA

View Full Version : People Telling You Who You Are

Cuchulainn
10-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Well i was on an enforced date and halfway througfh the night I was told 'You're the strong silent type aren't you'. That happens a lot in varying ways and tonightt I decided to ask how she came to that conclusion and was told it was because I didn't speak much but also didn't seem nervous or insecure about it I googled it to get more info and apparently I'm very out of fashion and will struggle to hold down a relationship with a modern woman. Awesome. However I couldn't argue as I guess that probably is the way I am. I don't speak much, not through shyness or that I don't feel confident, I really do I just don't need to fill air with noise all the time and don't think you need to talk about every problem.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/he-speaks-she-speaks/201104/the-strong-silent-type-the-male-advantage

Anyway do you often get 'told' by people what kind of person you are? It's annoying isn'ty it? Even when they're right, you deny it unless it's flattering. Does they perceptions of you often differ from how you view yourself? Hinting at self awareness issues?

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-13-2013, 03:13 AM
I don't really ever encounter this. But then again, I generally don't talk to people.

kotora
10-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Most people I run into seem to love hearing about themselves, especially girls. Don't encounter many "#youdontknowme" types of people, and I'd like to keep it that way.

WildRaubtier
10-13-2013, 04:16 AM
people on youtube tell me im a fag all the time, does that count

Araciel
10-13-2013, 04:41 AM
People don't talk to me..

Chemical
10-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Astrologists. How annoying. Anytime someone tries to tell me what star sign I am or omg you're a ______ that makes so much sense. Frack off.

Bunny
10-13-2013, 05:54 AM
smurf, Cuch and I have something in common.

Oh well, I had a good run.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-13-2013, 06:04 AM
People call me a robot because they think I don't ever feel cold or pain or emotion. It's mostly true. I can usually be found in a t-shirt even when it's freezing out. I have an extremely high tolerance to pain. I don't really ever show emotion on my face. It did get kind of weird because the fact that I'm a robot spread in my college and I would have people I hardly know make comments about me being a robot.

That's probably it for me.

Cosmiccandy
10-13-2013, 06:25 AM
I think it's annoying because they fail to appreciate the level of nuance in any given persons personality. Psychologists try their best to explain this sort of thing, but its nowhere close to becoming a hard science by any stretch. Calling someone a "strong but silent type" just files someone into a quaint little category. It's annoying because they think they "get you" by slapping on some label after observing your behavior for 10 minutes.

noxious.sunshine
10-13-2013, 08:35 PM
"Weird", "Bitchy",

I don't really get slapped with a label ever. Or well. I guess when people say I'm a typical Irish person. I'm like "wtf?" And they're like "Yeah cuz like you're a pro at drinking! & you're a red head & you're short! "

Little do they know, all of those traits minus being short comes from my dad's side of the family, not my mom's. And either way... I'm pretty sure that not all Irish people drink or have red hair.

Mirage
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't hear people putting labels on me very often. I guess when it happens, it's "hot headed". I don't talk a lot in bigger groups because I am worried about saying stupid trout that will ruin people's first impressions of me, so maybe people think I'm the quiet and anonymous type. I quickly get vocal and maybe a bit too intense once I get to know people and talk to them in smaller groups, however.

Also, like Cuch, I don't really feel the need to talk just to fill the room with sounds. Talking just for the sake of talking is pretty annoying.

Ayen
10-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Yes, but they normally spend more time with me than ten minutes so it's usually spot on.

Elskidor
10-13-2013, 11:12 PM
I quit getting labeled after I graduated high school. I wore the name freak proud, but then came 1999 and freaks in trench coats began getting looked at in a more fearful way, so if I got labeled after that it was in secret. I recently picked up a new job, and random people label me as a Walmart worker because of my blue shirt and tan pants. It pisses me off so I flip them off or give them an attitude, until I remember I do work a Walmart.

Shiny
10-14-2013, 03:14 AM
"Shy"

I'm not shy.

Night Fury
10-14-2013, 03:31 AM
I think people think I'm a bit dumb/stupid on first meeting.

Chris
10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
People generally know who I am, so they never feel the need to repeat it to me regularly. O:

theundeadhero
10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
I also don't feel the need to fill a message board full of random words talking about every problem or thing.

Psychotic
10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I also don't feel the need to fill a message board full of random words talking about every problem or thing.

My nose itches.

theundeadhero
10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
*pat pat*
It's gonna be okay, buddy.

Cuchulainn
10-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Yea. Real problems I have never come anywhere near here.

Psychotic
10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey you're right, it doesn't itch anymore! Although right now I'm on a high speed tilting train and the movement is making it hard to type this post. Will my torments ever end? :(

Cuchulainn
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm going to level with you all....this was a fishing expedition for Steve....no bites.

I have failed. Not only that but I'm now also inadvertently responsible for Paul's typing problems.

Disaster.

Cloudane
10-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Hmmmm people don't really tell me what I am too often, apart from "quiet". Often it comes across like a complaint, and I'm sorry, but, well, this:

I don't speak much, not through shyness or that I don't feel confident, I really do I just don't need to fill air with noise all the time

Haha XD So true.

I'm a combination. I'm shy and lack confidence in social situations, but also feel that there's too much emphasis on "silence must be filled" (which I guess doesn't help me with the first two points).

I think in part I read Hitchhikers Guide too young and understood Ford's alien view of small talk, of us all yapping away making the same observations about the weather as if stopping would cause our mouths to cease up. I always get a chuckle out of "ooh, it's getting dark so early now" or "ooh, it's still light at 7pm it's so amazing!" as the seasons cycle as if no one has experienced it before.

===
Oh and sometimes I get "you're good at computers, aren't you?" (followed by a request to clean up a malware riddled Windows XP box or tell someone why their iPhone isn't Just Working)
Truthfully, I was 10 or 15 years ago, nowadays I'm just more confident with Google and with my ability to reversibly mess with settings than others, and somehow hold down a job doing that all the time.

Shorty
10-15-2013, 04:59 AM
People have told me who they thought I am, and they were pretty accurate.

Spuuky
10-16-2013, 10:49 PM
People always used to think I was a pothead and/or drug dealer. But then I got my hair cut, and it stopped happening.

People still sometimes think that I must be an unhappy person because I wear only black and hate everything, even though I'm generally quite content.

Renmiri
10-17-2013, 12:39 AM

Heavens, what are you doing here ? ;)

I usually get labeled weird but meh, haven't cared what others label me since high school. smurf them.

My boyfriend does have the annoying habit of telling me what I'm thinking, which usually drives me up a wall so he learned to STFU about his attempts at mind reading :p

Laddy
10-17-2013, 12:59 AM
I've been told I'm princely. Whatever that means.

Shiny
10-17-2013, 02:48 AM
It means you're Prince.

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2013, 04:52 AM
People sometimes tell me I don't talk much. I've never had the heart to tell them I just don't talk much to them. :erm:

Jessweeee♪
10-19-2013, 07:13 AM
It happens less and less as I get older but people used to just assume I'm a lesbian. I guess I just give off a vibe? A couple of acquaintances even hit on my boyfriend in front of me and then felt really really awkward around me when they found out I wasn't his gay room mate. When I was in high school, my friends from another school were taking a driver's ed course with a couple of my classmates. When my friends found out they went to the same school as me they asked my classmates if they knew me and showed them a picture, and one of the guys was like "omg that psycho goth lesbian chick you know her?" My friends thought that was really hilarious.

Customers tell me I'm going to be a fantastic mother because I show a lot of patience with the difficult people and I'm just like ha! Ha ha ha ha.

Mahad
10-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I get label "serious" as in "quiet" a lot by relatives who have seen me grow up. I suspect behind my back they attach other, less gracious labels to me. I don't bother much with labels others attach to me, can't imagine what others must label me with either online or off.

Ghosteses
10-28-2013, 10:25 PM
i have never really had this happen to me yet but this IS one of the things that really annoys me about people in general >>

why can not people just like other people for who they are? It is like people expect other people to be like them or they have to shape them in some way. Now I know my parents probably annoy each other but they accept each other for who they are. If people were not unique the world would be boring >< I get that this might be a thread bump but does any one else feel the same way?

Polnareff
11-07-2013, 01:12 AM
My favorite one is getting labeled as "retarded" because of my speech impediment (I have a lisp and I slur certain words). The look on these peoples' faces when they find out that my IQ is above average are a sight to behold. And people wonder why I don't actively try to make friends.

Besides that, I used to get labeled as being a generally decent guy, but it was never really a compliment. Now I don't know what the hell I get labeled as, and don't care, as long as it's not something that doesn't fit me.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-07-2013, 03:06 AM
How can somebody tell me who I am? I don't even fucking know who I am.

Ashi
11-07-2013, 12:29 PM
That's actually really annoying! I hate that. Normally the only people I know that do that are the ones who are, erm, kind of "lacking in maturity" to put it in better words.

I previously worked at a really high stress job. Sometimes even at night I'd remember one of my tasks and spontaneously wake up thinking about it. Thankfully as I got used to being there that happened less and less. But I once mentioned it to a colleague she said, "oh so you're the type that thinks a lot huh,"

Thinks a lot. Hmm. I don't know. Am I? My family members believe I actually don't think at all, especially when making a commitment. I personally find that I think enough...I don't overthink, and I certainly do think before making decisions even if it's not apparent to others. I don't even know the point of making comments like that. "I figured you out", okay so you believe you did. Then what? Do you have a task for me that requires a deep thinker? Do you have everyone's names in categories in your head, "thinker", "non-thinker"?

But who knows. Maybe I also do that to an extent. I don't know.

Another co-worker, who is apparently a Sagittarius, asked when my birthday was. When she found out that I also was a fellow Sagittarius she made a comment about how "you couldn't possibly be a Sagittarius! they are stylish people!".

Well, excuse me? Maybe I don't follow the latest trends in terms of style, but I actually enjoy dressing up and do have a distinctive style that I was really known for between my friends. It wasn't "trendy", "fashionable" or "outrageous", but I liked it and enjoyed it. For a person to tell me that to be of a certain starsign I had to look/dress in a specific way...that was actually crazy to me. And it wasn't that I was offended by not being what "she" thought is "stylish", because obviously it is difficult to agree on such subjective things, but that I had to be that "specific stylish" to have the birthdate that I do (which makes NO sense to me whatsoever).

An "ex-friend" also seemed to constantly be trying to "figure me out" by putting me in a category of a certain kind of people and then trying to make it so that she was superior to those people. She thought she was being discreet about it but overtime it just made me sick. It was so obvious that she was making comparisons and then putting down whatever thing she believed me to be, whether it was being an outgoing person or a talkative one. It was just too much.

Oops! I seem to have rambled on!

Shiny
11-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Completely forgot, but the most common thing people think I am is white. Upon meeting me for the first time my boyfriend thought I was a white girl. Many people tend to assume this or that I'm Hispanic. This is pretty funny to me although it stills puzzles me why this is even a thing.

Shaibana
11-11-2013, 11:56 AM
im a very silent type.
especialy with ppl i dont really know.
i can start a conversation with ppl i dont know, and with ppl i know very well becaus it comes natural.
but with neutral people i just completely shut down...
like with my (previous) boss. it was pretty much dead silence all the time becaus i have no idea what to talk about to him.

besides that i always find it difficult to keep an conversation going

TrollHunter
11-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Typically I get called "awkward". Be it for my lack of talking, my weird sense of humor, or just any other number of things.
It's pretty obnoxious because even good friends of mine would call me this.

Spooniest
11-15-2013, 01:52 AM
The matrix can't tell you who you are.

drotato
11-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Surprisingly... No. I think I'm way too random and um... Weird for people to figure out that quickly. @. @