PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Committee Created

Freya
10-18-2013, 01:44 AM

In the grand days of the Final Fantasy series, the brand was a force to be reckoned with. Lately though, many games have been getting the Final Fantasy title without living up to the standard. Square Enix has reportedly created a Final Fantasy Committee to ensure the quality of the future games of the series.

In a new version of V-Jump, it has been reported that a Quality Preservation Committee has been created to make sure the brand of Final Fantasy remains up to par with series standards. The committee consists of Naoki Yoshida (Final Fantasy XIV director and producer), Hajime Tabata (Final Fantasy Type-0 director, Final Fantasy XV co-director), Motomu Toriyama (Final Fantasy XIII saga director), and Yoshinori Kitase (Final Fantasy XIII saga producer). Tetsuya Nomura is not mentioned to be on the list because he's “he is working in another time axis.” This may be because of his active schedule as the director of both Final Fantasy XV and the Kingdom Hearts series which are both in full blown production currently.

What do you think of this Quality Committee? Do you think this is a great idea for the series? Share your thoughts!

Venom65437
10-18-2013, 02:21 AM
Well seeing Final Fantasy 13 on there twice fills me with such... confidence... yes...

Freya
10-18-2013, 02:28 AM
Stealing from finalfantasy.net (http://www.finalfantasy.net/)cause i'm too lazy to type but they did do other games

Yoshinori Kitase (Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, X, XIII Series)
Motomu Toriyama (Final Fantasy X, X-2, XIII Series)
Naoki Yoshida (Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Dragon Quest X)
Hajime Tabata (Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy Type-0)

Mahad
10-18-2013, 02:56 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

took them this long to do something about the sad state of the series.

Mirage
10-18-2013, 02:59 AM
The sad state of two not good games.

Jiro
10-18-2013, 05:15 AM
More red tape to slow down the games' releases? :monster:

Freya
10-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Nah Nomura is still trucking along while they play party planning committee. Priorities.

Fynn
10-18-2013, 08:21 AM
It's like Nomura's the only one left with any idea what they're doing there.

Anyway, WTF? I know XIII is unpopular (haven't played it though), but they make a committee because "some recent titles" didn't live up to the quality? And this committee comprises mainly of the guys behind XIII?

... Why is it that I get the feeling they mean XII and they want to say the X/XIII model is the way the series should go? -_-

Night Fury
10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Hurray! The series will be saved after all!

Elpizo
10-18-2013, 12:12 PM
As long as the guy from FF XIV:ARR and the guy of Type-0 are on board, there's hope, people.

Jinx
10-18-2013, 01:27 PM
The sad state of two not good games.

It's like Nomura's the only one left with any idea what they're doing there.

Anyway, WTF? I know XIII is unpopular (haven't played it though), but they make a committee because "some recent titles" didn't live up to the quality? And this committee comprises mainly of the guys behind XIII?

... Why is it that I get the feeling they mean XII and they want to say the X/XIII model is the way the series should go? -_-

FFXII is pretty flawed story-wise, especially given the fact that they had a director (writer?) change halfway through production. I assume it's that kind of stuff this committee is created to hopefully prevent.

FFXIII is pretty much considered a huge mess by most fans. I've heard some people who loved the story but hated the gameplay, and some fans who just hated all of it. I've only played about 45 minutes of it, so I can't really comment personally, but there's been an lot of outcry over the years.

The launch of the first FFXIV was just horrendous. It was so bad that they let the people who bought it play for free for quite awhile, and they had to make an entirely new game to rectify their mistake.

FFvsXIII/FFXV has had a production time so long that it outgrew the generation of console that it was created for. A lot of people went out and bought PS3 to get that game, and now it won't even be on it (as far as I know). Plus, I mean, just seven years with almost no news.

So, I wouldn't call it two games. I think it's good that SE is finally realizing just how poor they've been doing with things, and hopefully they can get back on the right track. I'm not sure if this committee will be enough to do what they intend, but it's taking a step in the right direction with awareness.

Karifean
10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Now if only they could get Sakaguchi on there.

VeloZer0
10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't think it is 'quality' per say that has been hampering the games so much as poor high level design decisions. I think that the SE teams working on even the games that I have been disappointed by have been doing good jobs making the games to the best of their ability with the design concepts the games have been built around. I feel that it is the higher level direction that is poor, so just re-enforcing it doesn't seem to be that great of a solution.

Jiro
10-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Honestly I think the problem is the Final Fantasy name. It's stifling them. Do something fresh; the talent is still there, but they're trying to make something based on a legacy half of 'em didn't create, for fans who are just becoming jaded.

Bolivar
10-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Where's Hiroyuki Ito?

A great way to preserve the brand is to stop slapping it on every project to make extra sales. Make them new IPs to mess around with different concepts but keep Final Fantasy Final Fantasy . It looks like they're starting to do that with Bravely Default and it looks like a glorious return to the PS era.

The sequels also need to stop.

Mo-Nercy
10-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Good.

FFXIII wasn't great, but that's not to say the effort wasn't there. It tried to introduce a new generation of gamers to Final Fantasy. Gaming has become a mainstream entertainment industry over the past few years and SE can't expect to please everyone. Certain "old school" fans cry out for remakes but I reckon that'd just be a horrible waste of resources. They operate a business and the only way to grow a business is to attract new customers. Remasters, direct sequels, mobile phone games aren't going to do anything for them.

Focus solely on a next-gen game. Make it a Game of the Year contender - a game that sets a new standard for RPGs, rather than rehashing old ideas.

Loony BoB
10-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Make them new IPs to mess around with different concepts but keep Final Fantasy Final Fantasy.
Experimenting with new concepts is part of what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy. That's why it's such a success - it does new things, it leads the way. In XIII and XIV 1.0 they failed to capture the reviews they hoped for but XIV 1.23 was great and XIV 2.0 is getting strong reviews all over the place. XIII-2 was excellent, ending excepted. With that in mind, I'm not too bothered about the people on this committee. The person who made mistakes in XIII corrected almost every one of those mistakes in XIII-2. The person who made mistakes in XIV is no longer even working for Square Enix last I checked.

The biggest problem SE have is whoever it is that tells people that the games are going to sell like wildfire (here's looking at you, Tomb Raider).

Bolivar
10-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I always want them to experiment, they just don't have to keep adding the name to rhythm titles, handheld crossover fighters and monster hunter-likes...

Philosoraptor
10-22-2013, 05:11 AM
I think the biggest recent problem in terms of a disappointing (to put it mildly) game and significant PR hit has to be All the Bravest. Someone deserved to be canned over that PoS.

Theatrythm et al don't seem like particularly good ideas to me either; I can accept their existence, but they're not my thing and not where I'd have taken the series if I ran the zoo, and I suspect they somewhat dilute the brand.

But All the Bravest actively hurt the brand.

It can't help that the last two "main series" titles had problems, but they've had two weak, or at least controversial, main series games in a row before and bounced back from it.

Freya
10-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Dude Theatrhythm is on of the best FF games I've played in a while and definitely one of my favorite 3DS games. But it's a one time maybe two time thing. If they make it into an ongoing thing ehhhh..

But atb was bad. It was a cash grab, that's it.

black orb
10-25-2013, 05:06 AM
>>> Is this a joke or something?, the title "Final Fantasy" = Money for SE.
So why they would not want to put the FF title to any game possible?, and this "Committee" are the same SE employees?. Comedy..:luca:

Psychotic
10-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Not convinced. Get some people from outside of the Final Fantasy series with a proven track record of making games. Western games, I would also like to add.

Loony BoB
10-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Not convinced. Get some people from outside of the Final Fantasy series with a proven track record of making games. Western games, I would also like to add.
Eh, I already have an endless supply of Western games. I'm happy to have games from a different culture rather than "more of the same". Not every series in the world needs to be overly westernised.

Although... I must admit Final Grand Theft Fantasy is a game I would probably play. Sandbox game in a fantasy world where instead of stealing cars and shooting other gangs with guns, you instead steal chocobos and freeze/burn/electrocute random citizens? Yes, please! But I would absolutely not want it to replace the traditional JRPG style we find in the FF series. If anything, I feel the intent of working towards making the game more suited to a Western audience has hindered FF more than it has helped. It was, after all, part of how they designed FFXIII. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were wanting to stick to the rawest of ingredients when making that game (and they stated that would be the battle system) and I'm also sure they did this while taking inspiration from Western games that have a similar gameplay focus such as Call of Duty.

Psychotic
10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
I didn't say westernise it, which is the direction Square seem to want to take anyway. Times have changed and it aint the 1990's anymore - Japan is not number one like it was. They're resting on their laurels and they've become complacent. I know EoFF has a distaste for the West when it comes to games, but I don't mean Call of Duty or Skyrim or EA or whatever else it's hip to turn your nose up at. Keep your unique charm but get some external ideas and ways of thinking on board too. Go Indie, even! Get the Dwarf Fortress guy. Get notch from Minecraft. Mix it up. Inno-bloody-vate.

Loony BoB
10-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I honestly don't think they are lacking in innovation compared to Western developers. I think that the innovations just didn't meet the tastes of a lot of the fans. Criticising Square for a lack of innovation is kind of baffling to me in that every FF has something generally "never done before".

I genuinely have no "distaste for the West", I just feel that SE doesn't need them in order to keep FF fresh and/or great. What they might need from the West, if anything, is the background organisation, the structure, the marketing teams, that sort of thing. Not to mention the ability to give new talent a shot (luckily they did this with Yoshi-P and it's paid off, so hopefully they do more of the same). I don't think FFXIII-2, the latest of the offerings from SE, needed anything westernised about it, and the only bad thing about the game was the end. :p But then, I can say that about a couple of major Western games in recent years, too (DE:HR, ME3).

Essentially I agree that they could use "external interested parties" in such a committee but I don't see any reason for them to be English/American, let alone non-Japanese.

Jinx
10-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't say that doing something "never done before" in your series is really innovation. Sure, they change things up every game, but nothing ever really feels unique or drastic enough to make it feel innovative. The games--even when they're different, like FFXII--are all pretty formulaic. From what we've seen from trailers, it seems like FFXV is taking that to a new level, but I'm still not sure I would consider the changes (as of yet) something that really breaks the mold and refreshes the series. I think they're definitely headed in the right direction, though.

I honestly also think that maybe the series is just stale. It's old. There's 15 games and tons of spin-offs. It might just be that Final Fantasy is coming to its end. Nothing lasts forever

Bolivar
10-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Seeing how subjectively people, even in this thread alone, use the term "innovation" convinces me of just how hollow a buzz word it is when discussing games.

Spuuky
10-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Sorry, but a committee like this can't be made up of people who are currently making the games. That defeats the purpose of such a group.