PDA

View Full Version : "Royals" by Lorde

SuperMillionaire
10-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Lorde's Anti-Bling Anthem Royals Tops the Charts - Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-04/lordes-anti-bling-anthem-royals-tops-the-charts)

Has anyone heard "Royals" by Lorde? This song is an anti-bling album that criticizes many recording artists for promoting greed and lavish lifestyles, including things such as "bling-bling," fancy cars, extravagant mansions, jet planes, personal islands, nightclubs, and booze, and is more in line with the lifestyle of the average American person, struggling to make ends meet in this economy. Talk about the lifestyles of the rich and shameless. It's also a very catchy song, and her voice sounds a lot like Adele.

Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor, hails from New Zealand, and will turn 17 in November.

Jinx
10-18-2013, 07:17 PM
When I first heard this song I thought it was Birdy.

Spuuky
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I think that yes, some people have probably heard the current most popular song in the world. Also, I think this song is incredibly ugly.

Shlup
10-18-2013, 09:55 PM
You can't not hear that song. I like the song, but every TV drama is sticking it in as background music in a scene it totally doesn't fit with and it's bugging the shit outta me.

Jinx
10-18-2013, 10:00 PM
I think that yes, some people have probably heard the current most popular song in the world. Also, I think this song is incredibly ugly.

Have you heard Blurred Lines yet? There's a lot of controversy surrounding it, because some feel it's a song about ignoring the rights of women, while some people think it's encouraging to women.

noxious.sunshine
10-18-2013, 10:43 PM
My sister made me listen to this a few weeks ago. And I've been stuck on it ever since.

Lorde is awesome. That is all.

Spuuky
10-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Have you heard Blurred Lines yet? There's a lot of controversy surrounding it, because some feel it's a song about ignoring the rights of women, while some people think it's encouraging to women.Yes - Pop star Robin Thicke, son of Alan Thicke, also performed at the Video Music Awardss with cultural icon Miley Cyrus, born November 23rd, 1992 in Nashville, TN. Some feel that this performance was controversial as well.

Shorty
10-19-2013, 01:51 AM
I'd never heard this song before now. I like her voice, but I dislike the beat and I dislike anti-propaganda songs.

Night Fury
10-19-2013, 05:23 AM
I'm really not a fan of this song, the lyrics don't make sense to me, and I'm not keen on her voice.

noxious.sunshine
10-19-2013, 10:02 AM
She looks like a young Rebecca Gayheart

krissy
10-19-2013, 05:34 PM
this is like one of the best albums of the year, not just this song
and she's 16 so like
think on that for a second eoff

Slothy
10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
the lyrics don't make sense to me

This is every song ever to me. Lyrics are the least important part of music for me, and the part my brain has the hardest time parsing. Unless I sit down and basically read the lyrics and try to figure out what they mean my brain just doesn't care. And that goes for songs I can sing along to word for word strangely enough.

As for this song, meh. It's all right I guess.

NorthernChaosGod
10-19-2013, 11:48 PM
I had to look up what this song is because I'd never heard of it or her. All I can muster for it is a resounding "meh".

Mirage
10-20-2013, 01:35 AM
I've never heard this song before. What's supposed to be special about it?

Slothy
10-20-2013, 01:57 AM
I've gotta hand it to her though, I haven't seen someone with eyes so far apart they were practically on the sides of their head in a long time.

I Took the Red Pill
10-20-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm really not a fan of this song, the lyrics don't make sense to me, and I'm not keen on her voice.The lyrics are pretty self-explanatory, what doesn't make sense, exactly?

The song is catchy, I like it.

krissy
10-20-2013, 08:00 PM
they lyrics are a 'smurf you' to the pop music cliches of diamonds and fast cars and mansions and stuff, she's saying that the normal person just does not care about this shiz, at least that's what i get out of it.

it's cool if you guys aren't into pop music but it's refreshing to see a young woman making waves in the music business without submitting to the typical requirements of pop songs and undressing for the 'razzi. i just hope the hounds don't do to her what they did to britney et al. i also think it's cool she managed to do so much with so little (the song is mostly just her voice and some drums)

NeoCracker
10-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I actually find myself quite enjoying this song. Same goes for Tennis Courts and Bravado. I hope she manages to stick around for a while, the pop charts could use a bit more diversity. :p

Shiny
10-21-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't see how this song can be avoided unless you live in a hole. I'm okay with the song; it's catchy and all, but I would never bother listening to it for my own pleasure. It's just something that will be on someone's radio or like Shlup said, in the background of promos.

NorthernChaosGod
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't see how this song can be avoided unless you live in a hole.

If you don't listen to the radio or watch TV you live in a hole now. o_O

sharkythesharkdogg
10-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I hadn't heard of this person before this thread, and still haven't heard the song.

I'm tempted to look it up, because according to Vivi22 she looks like she's part fish.

Slothy
10-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm tempted to look it up, because according to Vivi22 she looks like she's part fish.

Your mileage may vary on how entertaining you find her appearance, but it's probably worth a quick google image search.

Jinx
10-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I think she's pretty. Her hair is amazing. Not sure what that has to do with her talent, though.

Slothy
10-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I never said it had anything to do with her talent. She's not bad looking mind you, but her eyes are a bit distracting.

NorthernChaosGod
10-22-2013, 02:25 AM
I think she's pretty. Her hair is amazing. Not sure what that has to do with her talent, though.

How is it amazing? It just looks like hair to me. :confused:

Jinx
10-22-2013, 02:34 AM
It's so thick, big, and curly! I love it.

Mirage
10-22-2013, 04:10 AM
I don't see how this song can be avoided unless you live in a hole.

If you don't listen to the radio or watch TV you live in a hole now. o_O

Yeah. It's been ages since I actually listened to normal radio stations, and I only watch TV like once a week. When I do, it's never programs where they show music videos, or talk shows where they have artists perform. I'd say we both just live in a different hole than Shiny!

NorthernChaosGod
10-22-2013, 04:14 AM
It's so thick, big, and curly! I love it.

Is that not normal? :confused:

SuperMillionaire
11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
NYC Mayor-Elect Bill de Blasio Celebrates Win With Lorde's 'Royals' (Video) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/nyc-mayor-elect-bill-de-653861)

Bill de Blasio and the Politics of Lorde?s ?Royals? ? Flavorwire (http://flavorwire.com/423853/bill-de-blasio-and-the-politics-of-lordes-royals/)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/nyregion/song-introducing-de-blasio-victory-speech-shares-his-theme.html

New York City mayor-elect Bill De Blasio used "Royals" as his victory song after winning the New York City mayor election. The song ties in with his message about "a tale of two cities," referring to the wealthy few and the struggling majority. The current outgoing mayor, Michael Bloomberg, is one of those rich businessmen, and although he did do a good job as the mayor of New York City, De Blasio seems to be a critic, because Bloomberg hailed from the wealthy few.

"Royals" is a song about rejecting the greedy and lavish, extravagant possessions that many wealthy people possess, and want more of, and De Blasio rejects those kinds of things, so it made sense for him to pick this song as his victory song.

He is married to an African-American woman and has two biracial children with her.

Spuuky
11-26-2013, 11:31 PM
He is married to an African-American woman and has two biracial children with her.How is this even tangentially related?

Mirage
11-26-2013, 11:35 PM
biracial.

Spuuky
11-26-2013, 11:43 PM
It would be tough for two people of different races to have "monoracial" children together.

Jinx
11-26-2013, 11:46 PM
It would be tough for two people of different races to have "monoracial" children together.

But not impossible.

Mirage
11-27-2013, 12:24 AM
If a child doesn't inherit the most obvious visual traits from one of the parents, is the child suddenly monoracial? What if a boy only inherited his black dad's enormous penis, and nothing else?

Shorty
11-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Back on track, folks.

noxious.sunshine
11-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Why is there another thread about this song? Lol

Quindiana Jones
11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Because this one is about penises now, apparently.

noxious.sunshine
11-27-2013, 06:11 AM
And biracial children. Don't forget.

SuperMillionaire
12-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Let's get back to the original topic now, shall we?

The reason why De Blasio used this song was because it tied in with his message about a wealthy few and a struggling majority.

noxious.sunshine
12-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Right but that doesn't necessarily warrant the need for a 2nd topic about the same song made within a month of the first one being posted.

If anything, you should've just tacked that tidbit on to the 1st post. I believe you've done that several times in other threads you've made.

(Sorry, not trying to back door mod or be antagonistic)

SuperMillionaire
12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
This is still the same thread.

Oh, I just recently found out in my sociological theory class that there is a formal term for the trend that Lorde dissed in this song, and that term is conspicuous consumption. The term was coined by sociologist Thorstein Veblen in his 1899 book The Theory of the Leisure Class: An Economic Study in the Evolution of Institutions, which refers to spending large amounts of money for "flashy" materialistic possessions in order to display wealth, economic status, and power. Many artists in their music videos and lyrics tend to engage in conspicuous consumption, which was the point of the song.

Conspicuous consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption)