PDA

View Full Version : Wait. Wait this is really fun somehow.

Pike
10-19-2013, 10:36 AM
What are some games that you didn't expect would be fun but actually are?

A big one for me is FFX. The whole game is basically just a bunch of corridors taking you through the story on a rail like Splash Mountain, and yet when I play I can't stop and I just have a blast. I still have no idea why it's so fun to me.

I just find it unusual because with most games - even "So bad it's good" games like EDF 2017 - I can pinpoint exactly why I find it fun. But I really can't tell you why I enjoy FFX so much.

How about you?

P.S. inb4 this turns into some sort of rehashed debate about FFX/Tidus/etc. That's not the point of the thread :mad2:

Dr Unne
10-19-2013, 11:16 AM
This week's Humble Weekly Bundle (https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly) aka "donate $6 to Red Cross and get some free games" included DeathSpank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeathSpank). At a glance it looked crappy. I tried it out on a whim.

I discovered that it's surprisingly fun. Kind of a Diablo clone full of stupid humor. Turns out this game was designed by Ron Gilbert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Gilbert) of Monkey Island fame.

Skyblade
10-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Time and Eternity wins the award for me. It's not really a good game. But I still had a blast with it. Beyond its myriad problems is a core that I could really get into.

A big one for me is FFX. The whole game is basically just a bunch of corridors taking you through the story on a rail like Splash Mountain, and yet when I play I can't stop and I just have a blast. I still have no idea why it's so fun to me.

Because, no matter what the structure of the game itself, a well structured world can be incredibly engaging.

Sorry, enough about FFX.

Spuuky
10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Atom Zombie Smasher
BIT.TRIP Runner2
Divinity 2
Hotline Miami

I'm sure there are plenty of games I thought would be good, but were great, too. These are ones I expected basically nothing from and were at least pretty good.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Final Lap Twin. I played it at a time where I just liked playing platformers and such (and I have never been a racing game fan), but I couldn't stop playing this game. It's a racing RPG for the Turbografx, complete with random encounters that consist of racing around the track. Your goal is to beat the best racer in each area. If you lose, you get sent back to your hometown, and your dad pretty much just tells you "You'll do better next time, here's $500." So fun.

On the racing front, I didn't expect to like Need for Speed Most Wanted as much as I did.

Also, surprisingly, Sonic the Hedgehog '06. I knew exactly what to expect, and I think the game is surprisingly pretty fun. The glitches just make it more funny for me.

NeoCracker
10-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Digimon World 2. That game only has the grind. There is nothing else. No plot worth mentioning, no engaging characters, shitty non-involved dungeons, sub-par graphics, and it's only redeeming quality being a pretty decent battle system.

The only way you can play this game is if your are a massive grind whore like I can be, though even then you it's horrid.

Still enjoy it though. :p

Bolivar
10-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Final Fantasy XIII.

Pike
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Atom Zombie Smasher
BIT.TRIP Runner2
Divinity 2
Hotline Miami

I've played three of those four (I haven't played Divinity 2) and all three surprised me as well. Especially BIT.TRIP. I put a lot more time into that than I thought I would.

Jessweeee♪
10-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Mobile Light Force 2

Tigmafuzz
10-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Papers, Please (http://steamcommunity.com/app/239030) is definitely a game that you wouldn't expect to be very fun, but it is.

Zafehouse Diaries (http://store.steampowered.com/app/249360/) is one you wouldn't expect to be fun unless you're into that kind of game.

DeathSpank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeathSpank)

I've loved DeathSpank for a long time. It's really great.I absolutely love DeathSpank.

Hotline Miami

I played a flash game several years ago that played exactly like Hotline Miami. The guy who made that game also made some other top-down style game where you play as a medieval knight killing monsters or some such. Playing Hotline Miami just made me want to go play those old flash games again, but I couldn't find them ;_;

Pike
10-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Papers, Please (http://steamcommunity.com/app/239030) is definitely a game that you wouldn't expect to be very fun, but it is.

Nonsense, I knew that would be a blast the first time I heard of it!

Madame Adequate
10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Given that it began life as True Crime 3 I didn't expect anything at all from Sleepy Dogs, but it turned out to be amazing and it's one of my all-time favorite games in that genre.

Karifean
10-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Call of Duty 4. No seriously, I never had had ANY interest in FPS games before, but it turned out to be pretty nice. It was most likely just because I was playing with a group of friends and we were all new to the genre so we all had similar skill levels and gradually got better together. It definitely showed me the fun side to FPSs.

escobert
10-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I have no idea why but after 1000 or so hours of Civ V I can't stop playing.

Pete for President
10-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Agreed on Hotline Miami. Braid too. At first I thought it was just some Mario game, but it was way more interesting than that.

Pike
10-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Agreed on Braid; I can't say I ever beat it but I put a few hours into it which is more than I thought I would.

Loony BoB
10-21-2013, 11:12 AM
So guys, how many lollipops did you get?

Pike
10-22-2013, 10:28 AM
So guys, how many lollipops did you get?

A lot.

TWO DAYS UNTIL THE SEQUEL :hyper:

Hollycat
10-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Freelancer. When my parents gave it to me I thought, Oh boy another crappy rippoff of something.

Then I played it while my Gameboy was charging one day and was enlightened.
It was like the holy grail of gaming.

krissy
10-23-2013, 02:48 AM
ff7
same story as hypo
i got it and i wa slike 'ugh i wanted star wars dark forces'

Ayen
10-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Yoshi's Story. I didn't think that much of Yoshi back then and didn't expect the game to be good at all. It ended up being crazy fun and I couldn't stop playing until I finished it.

A more recent one would have to be Final Fantasy X-2. Everyone kept saying how horrible it was and talking about how it was the beginning of the end of Final Fantasy (I know some melodramatic people, let me tell you), but when I sat down to play it I didn't find it to be that bad. Campy maybe, but not the god-awful game I was expecting it to be going in. X-2 does not live up to the hype of its haters.

Cosmiccandy
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Jade Cocoon 2. The dialogue is heavy-handed, the story is rock simple, the characters are annoying, its plagued with various bugs, and its level design is uninspired. But godamm there is just something so engaging about the combat and leveling system in this game that absolutely hooks me. Call it a Pokemon clone all you want, I wasted untold hours of my teens on this game.

Polnareff
11-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Final Fight Streetwise.

This game was panned because of its urban setting and a twist that takes place about 3/4 of the way through which turns the game into your character, Kyle, beating up on a bunch of drug-addled zombies. Despite that and the gratuitous, in-your-face "badass" crap, the game is actually very solid. I still wish we'd gotten Seven Sons instead.

Captain Maxx Power
11-03-2013, 12:12 AM
I used to look down my nose at MMORPGs. Now I'm usually playing at least one with some regularity.

Mirage
11-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm trying hard to find a game that I played that I didn't think would be fun but turned out to be fun anyway. I think I'm too conservative when it comes to trying new games. Perhaps I am only playing games that I am pretty confident that I will like?

Spuuky
11-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm trying hard to find a game that I played that I didn't think would be fun but turned out to be fun anyway. I think I'm too conservative when it comes to trying new games. Perhaps I am only playing games that I am pretty confident that I will like?That just means you aren't buying enough Humble Bundles, in which you are bombarded with games that you had on intention of buying otherwise.

Mirage
11-03-2013, 12:48 AM
No, it means I have more games than I have time to play already, and can't really make enough time for even more games.

Pike
11-03-2013, 12:54 AM
You can always make time for more games. Humble Bundles especially. There's a lot of hidden gems in those for a bargain price.

Mirage
11-03-2013, 12:55 AM
No sir, I can't :(. Not without sleeping less than 6 hours every day. That's not very smart when I work with what I do.

NeoCracker
11-03-2013, 12:22 PM
No sir, I can't :(. Not without sleeping less than 6 hours every day. That's not very smart when I work with what I do.

Sounds like you either need to:

A) Smoke Cracl
B) Develope Insomnia
C) Both A and B
D) A Jar of Almonds

Mirage
11-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't want to crash at work and kill myself and possibly others, so no thanks.

NeoCracker
11-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't want to crash at work and kill myself and possibly others, so no thanks.

Meh, whatever works for you, I'm just glad I got a chance to make that reference! :monster:

Mirage
11-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Which reference? I thought you were just taking ideas from your real life.

NeoCracker
11-03-2013, 01:36 PM
D) A Jar of Almonds was the reference in question. :p

Mirage
11-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh so it was from real life experiences!

Quindiana Jones
11-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Jar isn't a verb. :confused:

NeoCracker
11-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Jar isn't a verb. :confused:
...DAMMIT JUST GET THE REFERANCE AND STOP THE NITPICKING!

Mirage
11-03-2013, 03:02 PM
what is it a reference to?

NeoCracker
11-03-2013, 03:31 PM
IT's not the same if I have to explain it. :cry:

Spuuky
11-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Actually, jar is a verb. But it isn't used like one there.

Mirage
11-03-2013, 10:46 PM
IT's not the same if I have to explain it. :cry:

If it is a reference to a particular thing, you're not explaining the reference by saying where it is from. Just like I'm not explaining a movie by telling people the name of it.

Quindiana Jones
11-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Actually, jar is a verb. But it isn't used like one there.

Well, it's lucky I was referring to the only use of the word jar in this thread, or boy would my face be red.

Tigmafuzz
11-04-2013, 08:33 AM
When is a door not a door? When it's ajar!

Elskidor
11-04-2013, 09:02 AM
I suppose mine would be classic Everquest between 1999 and 2004. My friend bugged the crap out of me to try it, and I had no idea what the hell it was. He even over 100 bucks worth of stuff for my computer so I could run the game, so I felt I had to try it, although I was really dreading it. Bastard had me hooked and calling out of work! I still remember being a wee level stuck forever in Crushbone Keep, and he kept telling me I was the tank....it confused me, because I kept wondering when I was going to turn into some massive army tank, and why army tanks were in a fantasy based world. Good memories. He was a terrible MMO instructor, but we had a blast.

TrollHunter
11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Cave Story

I picked it up because people kept recommending it to me and it was on sale on steam. I didnt realize just how much fun I would have.
This game has become such a favorite of mine I'm working on a cosplay for the protagonist 'Quote'.
The music is spectacular, the difficulty is just right, the controls are tight and precise, and even the story is pretty fantastic. Everything about this game is just sublime, and I picked it up really just on a whim.

NeoCracker
11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
It's a referance from Whose Line is it Anyway you uncultured bastards. :colbert:

Polnareff
11-05-2013, 12:08 AM
"Whose Line?" is cultured? News to me. :monster:

NeoCracker
11-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Clearly you aren't very cultured then! :monster:

Vermachtnis
11-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Harvest Moon, I got into the series with Rune Factory because a farming sim sounds boring as hell. But I like Rune Factory and decided to give the main series a try and got Boy and Girl for the PSP and you know what. I loved it. I loved everything about it. The music was nice, the characters were interesting, and the actual farming was fun. Also I had a puppy and we played with a ball until I lost it. And it taught me a very important life lesson: people will like you if you keep giving them stuff everyday.

Digimon World 2. That game only has the grind. There is nothing else. No plot worth mentioning, no engaging characters, shitty non-involved dungeons, sub-par graphics, and it's only redeeming quality being a pretty decent battle system.

The only way you can play this game is if your are a massive grind whore like I can be, though even then you it's horrid.

Still enjoy it though. :p

I thought I was the only one in the world who liked this game. I mean, yeah it is pretty awful, but I still like it.

Elskidor
11-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Harvest Moon

I named 2 of my cats after that game. I thought it was the coolest name for the longest time so I had Harvest Moon, and when he died I named a new kitten Harvest Moon II. Oddly enough I never actually got around to playing the game though.

Polnareff
11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Clearly you aren't very cultured then! :monster:

Pop culture these days is more like "pop UNculture," really. :monster:

Elskidor, there are farms all across the USA with the name "Harvest Moon Farms." I still get a good laugh every time this one customer comes in wearing a shirt from there.