PDA

View Full Version : Spira would be the best universe for a Final Fantasy MMO

TidusReborn
10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
It's got the requisite monster killing and hunting thanks to sinspawn.

It's got the ultimate video game pass-time (Blitzball!)

Not to mention Pop Concerts

It's got plenty of races and factions

Sweet Loot

Great Transportation
48112 48113

And Chocobos too!

Plenty of Dungeons

But most important of all: Epic Quests

48117 48118

What do you guys think?

Laddy
10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I've always thought this. A Sphere Grid-like character progression system and a choice between Humans, Ronso, Al Bhed, Guado, and Hypello always seemed like a good MMO concept. Frankly I would play the shit out of it. Mayhaps you could choose between juggling different factions and stuff.

Jinx
10-19-2013, 05:23 PM
YOU COULD HAVE BABY SHOOPUF MOUNTS OMG

Slothy
10-19-2013, 06:19 PM
It does have a lot of stuff people would look for in an MMO I guess. And it probably would be perfect actually. MMO's are boring as hell so they should have a really boring setting to go with them.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-19-2013, 06:59 PM
I would rather have an FF VIII MMO just so I can play as a Shumi with the hope that by the end the Shumi would evolve into a Moomba.

FFX does probably have the best world for an MMO though.

Freya
10-19-2013, 07:17 PM
vivi, mmos aren't boring when you have the right people to play with!

Spira would make a good MMO. But instead of making something from preexisiting they made whole new worlds for the mmos. They work I GUESS

Elskidor
10-19-2013, 07:24 PM
I'd go for Ivalice or FFVI. IV's three different maps would also be nice to build on to.

Jinx
10-19-2013, 07:41 PM
It does have a lot of stuff people would look for in an MMO I guess. And it probably would be perfect actually. MMO's are boring as hell so they should have a really boring setting to go with them.

I know you don't like FFX, but you can't deny that there are some really gorgeous places. The Moonflow? The Farplane? Macalania Woods/Lake? Zanarkand? Come on now, seriously.

Pike
10-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Oh man I would play a Spira MMO for the rest of my life

Jessweeee♪
10-20-2013, 04:02 AM
The Farplane o:

Slothy
10-20-2013, 04:31 AM

If I need to play with the right people for a game to not be boring then it's not the game that's good. :p

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2013, 02:05 PM

I know you don't like FFX, but you can't deny that there are some really gorgeous places. The Moonflow? The Farplane? Macalania Woods/Lake? Zanarkand? Come on now, seriously.

Spira would be the best universe for a Pokemon Snap game.

Elskidor
10-20-2013, 02:29 PM

If I need to play with the right people for a game to not be boring then it's not the game that's good. :p

That's how I felt when people tried getting me into WoW, AND Gawwwww..WoW sucks. Go back to the original poor graphics Everquest and find real mmo pleasure. Then again my true gamer friends never really could play the cheese that is WoW. But Spira could make a good mmo world, in all honesty, but so could any FF world. It's the game play that matters. The world just builds itself around the awesomeness or suckiness of the game created around it....it thrives if the game is good and burns if the game is bad.

Skyblade
10-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Agreed.

Although, personally, my stance is even more hostile to the situation than that. I've played MMOs with good groups and guilds before. It makes them just barely tolerable. Every MMO I've played is designed to be punishing to single players, to encourage socialization. So if you get a good group, it elevates the game to the rank of most other solid single player experiences, at best.

However, even then, it still has major negative repercussions on game flow and structure. You're restricted in how you can play based on the desires of the group, and the availability of the group. How much people want to grind, where they want to go, what quests they want to pursue, who wants to run dungeons, who is online, who needs to break for dinner. Even with a good group, it can be a problematic experience.

And I am rapidly getting extremely off topic, so I think I'll switch back on topic instead of continuing this rant.

Spira would be a decent place for an MMO, and I would like to see it open up more. Ivalice would still be better though.

comma
10-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Almost every Final Fantasy game has everything you mentioned in the OP.

Slothy
10-21-2013, 02:05 AM

I like FFX more than I let on sometimes. It's all right in spots, but it is one of the worst FF titles.

Personally though, the art style never sat well with me. It's not really bad on any technical level and the graphics themselves are well done for the time (except the few times they decided to use really awful, low res pre-rendered backgrounds for no reason at all), but the art doesn't hit the spot for me. If I liked MMO's and wanted one based on a single player FF title, I'd probably go with something like FFXII, or one of the earlier FF's like the SNES games. I feel like a modern re-interpretation of VI's world could have some interesting places to visit/revisit.

Ayen
10-21-2013, 03:22 AM
I'd play it, assuming it's F2P.

That's how I felt when people tried getting me into WoW, AND Gawwwww..WoW sucks. Go back to the original poor graphics Everquest and find real mmo pleasure. Then again my true gamer friends never really could play the cheese that is WoW. But Spira could make a good mmo world, in all honesty, but so could any FF world. It's the game play that matters. The world just builds itself around the awesomeness or suckiness of the game created around it....it thrives if the game is good and burns if the game is bad.

Ah, I remember Everquest. Never did get to play it, but I got to watch my brother spend hours on it.

Freya
10-21-2013, 05:40 AM

Wait... So you're saying a game in the genre of MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER online rpg doesn't require people to be enjoyable? Wouldn't that just be a RPG?

Hollycat
10-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Spira, as it exists is too small for an MMO. If they made the map bigger and made new continents I could see it being a good spot for an MMO.

Slothy
10-22-2013, 02:02 AM

Wait... So you're saying a game in the genre of MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER online rpg doesn't require people to be enjoyable? Wouldn't that just be a RPG?

No, I'm saying that if the people you're playing with are the only thing that's enjoyable then there's a problem. The actual game mechanics in every MMO I've ever played are so unbelievably tedious and boring that the game itself is shit. The community might be cool, but that doesn't mean the game is any less dull. Just means I should probably hang out with those people in a game that doesn't suck.

Freya
10-23-2013, 05:52 AM
You should just play GW2 with me and you'll have fun. come to the no subscription fee darkside

Loony BoB
10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
I would prefer an Ivalice MMO, but I wouldn't mind a Spira MMO. I don't like FFX, but that's not because of the setting which was beautiful. So long as I don't have to listen to a bunch of annoying voices (to go with the rather annoying characters) then I should be okay.

Of course, I still prefer the idea that SE have gone with - making new worlds entirely for the MMO's they create.

Slothy
10-24-2013, 12:04 AM
You should just play GW2 with me and you'll have fun. come to the no subscription fee darkside

I find the lack of a subscription fee intriguing. Shame I'm poor.

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 09:06 AM
It would, but they'd have to drastically expand pretty much everywhere.

Then again, that'd go for like all of any normal Non MMO Final Fantasies.

I think having the ability to go back in time to Zanarkand in its prime for certain missions would be killer as chuck and seeing -everything- .. omg.

Aulayna
10-24-2013, 09:24 AM
That's how I felt when people tried getting me into WoW, AND Gawwwww..WoW sucks.

It's the game play that matters. The world just builds itself around the awesomeness or suckiness of the game created around it....it thrives if the game is good and burns if the game is bad.

With over seven million subscribers as of July 2013, World of Warcraft is currently the world's most-subscribed MMORPG, and holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/U+WOT+M8+description+.+http+www.facebook.com+martin.w.keating_079b02_4051759.jpg

As for the topic of the thread itself. Spira would be a great place to set an MMO in for sure, especially with locations like Macalenia. Also who wouldn't want multiplayer Blitzball, step aside PvP battleground - Blitzball is in town.

TidusReborn
01-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Just a crazy thought I had, but what if you set the world during the wars between Spira and Zanarkand?

Two Sides: Zanarkand, Spira, and the wildcard: Sin

If Zanarkand starts to falter: The world slowly turns into The Spira we know today

if Zanarkand begins to win, the gameworld turns into an alternate-reality type Spira.

Don't know how it would work......but I've always been facinated by this type of MMO conflict

Then you have to deal with the Summoners, Yevon, and all kinds of crazyness and drama.... could be intense!

Bubba
01-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I find the lack of a subscription fee intriguing.

Mirage
01-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Ivalice would be better